Premier League Predictions > Aug 23rd - 25th

eplratings.jpg

The next round of Premier League fixtures are scheduled for next weekend. I'm getting them up early because I'm away for a few days on holiday. That's why some of the ratings aren't complete. I'll try to update it at a later date before these games happen. For the time being, check out the odds and ratings then let us know your predictions. :ok

Sheffield Utd v Leicester- Leicester to win at 2.25 with Bet365

Sheffield started the new campaign very well, earning 4 points in their first 2 games against Bournemouth and Palace. As newcomers to the league I don't think they will be able to keep a high level for a long time and I expect that they will have a difficult time in the next match. Leicester scored 2 straight draws against solid teams such as Wolves and Chelsea, but for a team with their ambitions they should look to win as their opponent is comfortable enough.

Aston Villa vs Everton FC

Aston Villa

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): James Chester (0/0 d, captain), Jonathan Kodjia (1/0 f)

Suspended: -

Everton FC

Doubtful: -

Out (injuries/other): Fabian Delph (0/0 m)

Suspended: -

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

i fancy southampton to win. i this it's their time after all the effort they have put in in last few games and let's face brighton are not world beaters. this match looks even but southampton is my choice win narrowly

leicester is not going to be as good as they where when they had a but of cutting edge with mahrez, kante and maguire but even so they kept vardy in the team and he needs assists which team has struggled to provide. they look solid side and i fancy them to win this match narrowly as long as they can keep sheff utd away and not invite them on.

i am not convinced by watford at all. they will feel desperate for the win and west ham are capable of punishing them if they press too much. i see another draw honestly but depending if they play a risky attacking games to try to win or more cautious approach. it's hard to tell

My main bet this weekend is Norwich +1 vs Chelsea at evens.  Chelsea at odds on in their current state instinctively feels wrong to me and I think they are being priced up on reputation rather than the ability of their team.

Norwich look like they will score goals this season, although Pukki's form will drop off at some point.  I like the fact Norwich are giving a chance to most of the team from last season.  Team spirit must be good, and they will be confident after the Newcastle win.  

Chelsea to me look short of a top striker.  Giroud has never been prolific, Abraham is unproven at this level and Batshuayi blows hot or cold (mostly cold).  I watched the game vs Leicester last week and they gave up so many good chances to Leicester they were lucky to draw in the end. 

Norwich can score at least once against them, and given I don't think Chelsea are likely to score more than 1 themselves, that makes Norwich capable of getting at least a draw in my book. 

Also tempted by Burnley +1 vs Wolves at around evens.  This is the kind of game Wolves didn't do so well in last season, and coming off a EL game vs Torino on Thursday and the Man Utd game on Monday there will be one or two tired legs. 

Burnley played quite well in defeat vs Arsenal, and they do have some capable players (Barnes/Wood etc).  I think they will score at least once, and if they can do that, it might well be enough to get at least a draw as Wolves aren't often that prolific in front of goal.

Aston Villa vs Everton

The Premier League action kicks off early this weekend with a Friday night match-up between top flight new boys Aston Villa and a side hoping to breach the top six this season in Everton. Kick-off is 8pm BST from Villa Park and there is no doubt that both sides could do with the three points here. The visiting side edge it on paper but is that enough?

Aston Villa were criticised for spending over £100 million on new signings over the summer but many felt they had invested more wisely than Fulham had last season. Dean Smith strengthened where necessary and when his side went 1-0 up away to Tottenham in their opening game it looked like his transfer work had been vindicated. However, that game ended up being a 3-1 win for the home team. It was then followed up by a disappointing 2-1 loss at home to Bournemouth. The pressure is growing for the Villains to pick up their first points of their first season back in the Premier League.

Everton came into this season with inflated expectations. Despite failing to gain consistency under Marco Silva last season the Toffees faithful feel this could be the campaign where they take the next step up the league table. An underwhelming 0-0 draw away to Crystal Palace did little to get the fans buzzing but the well-fought 1-0 win over Watford at home had a more positive effect. The fact the team has now kept two clean sheets shows that Silva has addressed the defensive frailties of previous seasons that looked like being fixed last season and has continued into this one. Scoring goals at the other end remains an issue though.

This game has a dour affair written all over it. Villa still look a slightly disjointed unit with new signings still being bedded in. Everton look like a side labouring to get goals. It's now less than 2.5 goals scored in 8 of their last 10 league games. It's also 8 clean sheets in their last 10 matches. 4 of their last 5 away matches have seen less than 2.5 goals scored as well. If I was to back a result I'd say a 1-1 draw or a narrow 1-0 win for the away side.

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.97 with Marathonbet

Everton to Win @ 2.30 with Coral

@Mindfulness, @Pep004, @MaliMisko12, @betcatalog, @sajtion, @godofhorses, @Tiffy, @waynecoyne, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @Duke_Tm, @dogmeister, @Arkadi Manucharov, @derbent, @fat, @allyhibs, @6avin24, @discipline, @the bastardian, @Bronxie, @Bett@KikoCy, @teddybear3011, @markus808, @allthethings, @Kenton Schweppes, @vasilli07, @Dylan Lynch, @neilovan, @JKos, @zemo91, @kulikTS, @mrclubbie, @Judeksi, @Henind666, @Teodore, @kilkenny1, @newjack, @PokerWolf1, @Dave1X2, @real55555, @jazzman02, @Ameer13, @Gedkip, @mcsilks, @MangoTheThird, @Roy The Boy, @DonPaulo, @Duckets, @yossa6133, @sjuesju, @dylanphan, @thfc, @Dboston, @Dr. Florida192, @money44, @1moregoal, @ggm31v, @EuroDream, @ndanmak, @cummins91, @vicsuna, @abigail, @Carovie, @thfc, @Hitch, @Ameer, @LimMouse, @freddie01, @Ulrikand @AndreBR.

there seems to be a lot more focus on defense in everton camp and that's why they haven't been prolific in front of goal. i don't expect more than one goal from everton at this stage. aston villa likewise will fancy themselves getting on the scoresheet but realistically in my opinion this has got a 1-1 draw written on it.

Manchester United vs Crystal Palace

Correct score 2:0

Last season the most common correct score in the Premiership was 2:0 and so far this season there has not been one such match after 2 rounds.

4 out of 10 Premiership games between Manchester United and Crystal Palace at Old Trafford have finished 2:0 for the Red Devils. The average Premier League match at Old Trafford had 2.2 goals for Manchester United and 0.2 goals for Crystal Palace.

The only PL goals for Palace at the Theatre of Dreams came 15 years ago when they lost 5:2 and sir Alex was still in charge. Actually since Ferguson retired, 3 out of 6 games between Manchester United and Crystal Palace at Old Trafford ended 2:0 with the most recent being a 0:0 stalemate.

Manchester United had 7 2:1 wins last season (5 at home) and only 2 2:0 wins(none at home), but clearly the team has improved defensively and should concede less goals this season so those 2:1s may become 2:0s.

Expected goals data since start of the season shows 1.76 expected goals for Manchester United and 0.7 against them on average. Crystal Palace's average match had 0.555 expected goals for them (lowest in the league) and 1.535 expected goals against them.

Liverpool vs Arsenal

The big game this weekend is undoubtedly to be found at Anfield when Liverpool play Arsenal in a 5:30pm BST kick-off. This fixture has produced some memorable moments over the years such as Robbie Fowler's 4-minute hat-trick back in 1994 and Andrei Arshavin's four goal haul back in 2009. What will this latest encounter between the two sides deliver on the pitch?

Liverpool managed to take consolation from a narrow miss in the Premier League last season by winning the Champions League. Jurgen Klopp hasn't added any real quality to his squad during the summer except for Adrian and that has already proved a vital move after the injury to Alisson against Norwich in their opening game. The main concern for the Reds so far this season has been the drop in quality of their defence. Losing the FA Community Shield, underwhelming displays against Norwich (in the second half at least) and Southampton plus shipping two goals against Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup suggests there is work to do for Klopp's men yet.

Arsenal are being tipped as the one side to qualify for the Champions League this season alongside the favourites of Manchester City, Liverpool, and Tottenham. This is a huge acid test for Unai Emery's men who have looked much improved so far with two business-like wins over Newcastle and Burnley. The additions of Nicolas Pepe, Dani Ceballos, Kieran Tierney, and David Luiz have been warmly welcomed by the Gunners faithful. Are they enough to get them back into the title picture?

This battle between the top two is arguably a clash of two of the best front three in European football. Would you rather have Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, and Roberto Firmino, or Pepe, Alexandre Lacazette, and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang? Both sides have scored in 10 of the past 12 meetings between the teams. A big problem for Arsenal is their away form in the league. They've only kept two clean sheets in the league under Emery. On the flip side, Liverpool have scored in all but one of their home games in the same period. I'm anticipating a goal fest again with Liverpool perhaps edging the win.

Liverpool HT/FT @ 2.30 with Betfair

BTTS @ 1.60 with Betway

Every week and derby in the English Premier League and today are the only two teams to compete, having won both championships. In particular, Liverpool are welcoming Arsenal to Anfield with the aim of exclusively top scoring in the event of a win. Poor lies in that Clop's "reds" are more ready for championship
LIVERPOOL FC vs ARSENAL FC @@ LIVERPOOL FC, odds 1.55 

Been a pretty good start to the season for me.  Although I've been dead wrong on some teams, the bets I've put in have been so far, so good.

early game, someone up top found Norwich +1 at evs and well, I need that line available to me because I've seen nothing close to that. I like Norwich and put a small play on them at +0.75 at -110.  Norwich seem to get goals for fun.  They led the championship in goals last year at just over 2gpg and seem to picked up right where they left off.  Chelsea a bit of a team in flux imo. Jury still out on Lamps as a manager and it's going to take him a bit to find his best 11.  I'll tell you right now, they have major questions at the back.  Seen both their games in full and they have issues.  Midfield is strong for Chelsea but I'm not convinced they have any finishing power up front to score goals.  I think Norwich hangs around and this one has 1-1, 2-2 written on it - I'm very happy taking the home team with +0.75 here.

I'm not getting involved in the Brighton/Southampton game at all, but said it before, I've got Saints tipped for the drop, so I'd again back the home side gun to my head.  

Leicester seems a good play to me at Sheffield, but tbh, I can't get a great read on them at all, and I have to think home team will be doing all it can to scrape for points here.  Pass again.

I absolutely think United will win at home vs Palace, but that's a heavy price to pay there.  I wouldn't mind a United -1.25 at evs, but I'm not finding it, so I may play ingame with a slow start.  United start the season in good form and I just don't think Palace has the pieces to challenge them here.  I do like the 2-0 final score prop and may take a poke on that.

West Ham been one of those teams I've been dead wrong on this year, and well, I'm going for it again.  It appears to me they should have a full roster to choose from and the talent they have I don't think I can pass them again getting +250 to win at +150 or so for DNB.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me but I'm on West Ham again here.  Watford is nothing special and there'll be pressure on both teams here to get a result. More pressure for the home side, I'll take + odds all day long.

Game of the week is the late game Saturday, and unfortunately I'm not going to be around to watch or see lineups.  But, to me this game is all about goals and o3 is worth a punt.  Liverpool obviously has plenty of gk woes and that will be trouble.  VVD can only do so much, and in my eyes, Arsenal are exactly the kind of team that will give Liverpool fits in the back.  Massive pace in the likes of PEA and Pepe. Lacazette is a clinical finisher.  And Dani Ceballas has been just lights out terrific so far.  All that said, Liverpool is always a tough nut to beat at home and well, they still have a few great players in attack.  Arsenal's defense is suspect at best.  David Luiz certainly not the answer.  This one just screams end to end action with plenty of chances.  

?

-Norwich and Chelsea:

Norwich btts

I feel this game will be a hard result for chelsea to swallow. Without a near cemented starting 11 it is hard to get going. Defense is an issue! Can see us conceding more than we are going to score. It is a must win game for Chelsea morale i feel, but I'm going to try cash in with good odds on Norwich.

-Liverpool and arsenal:

BTTS draw

You would think liverpool would win naturally but this will be an interesting watch. I might still skip this in my bet as this game could go to either team.

-Man utd and crystal palace:

Man utd HT/FT

I never believed in the 'Ole at the wheel' United. However this is a crumbling palace team. United should be good enough to have a comfortable win.

Norwich x Chelsea

Chelsea have had one of the worst performances in the Premier League so far, with a crushing 4-0 defeat against United and a draw against Leicester that they deserved to have missed out on their chances. Lampard is not a great coach, and he is nowhere near that, his path went well, going to Derby where he went well up to a point, but not up, and not worthy of going up so much in Derby's career to Chelsea. And the coach's task is not the easiest, as Chelsea could not sign in that window, and still lost players like David Luiz, Higuain, and the star who was very impactful all season in Hazard. Instead of them, with the restrictions, the team brought in Pulisic, who is a great player, but very far from the Belgian, and Mason Mount returned from Derby loan being a much more solid player.

Despite having all this against Chelsea, I see that bookmakers have been having a hard time pricing, and I see a big mistake here, giving Chelsea a -0.75 line despite being away from home against Norwich who come, but still, Chelsea are a much superior team, and have great names in the squad, like Kante, Jorginho, Pulisic, Kovacic.

Norwich tightened the game against Liverpool and were beaten, and beat Newcastle 3-1, but still, I don't think it's a solid team to have such a short line against Chelsea, and I can see the Blues winning that game. well, since he had 2 much harder opponents in the first two rounds, and did very poorly. With a team getting better every round, I see Chelsea well able to easily beat Norwich here and meet that -0.75 handicap.

Chelsea -0,75 @1.97 Pinnacle 3units

Manchester United x Crystal Palace

Manchester United are the biggest team in England, but far from being the best this season, even after beating Chelsea where they beat 4-0 at Old Trafford, the team went to visit Wolves and even away. home, played better than Nuno Espirito Santo's team, and just did not win by the penalty wasted by Pogba.

United are usually a team that has a lot of bets in their favor, and last season this became very clear, as even in a clear bad phase, the odds always came with great value against, and always very aggressive handicaps. In this case here, it is very similar to that, Sheffield United's handicap at home against Palace was DNB, and in this game comes at a +1.5 side of the London side, something I consider very high for how Crystal Palace looks For the game, it's no use wanting to compare equal lines of teams with different characteristics. Palace are a few solid teams out of the top 6, and they have been using this form of having physically strong players and fast attacks against Zaha for a long time, and yet you can extract a lot of value.

For this game, Max Meyer is doubtful, the German has a very different style of playing Palace and has not yet fully adapted, and maybe not go, I would rather see a Crystal Palace with a strong midfielder like Schlupp than see Meyer having to do what really isn't his.

United have a lot of offensive pieces that can break Palace's defense, but against a close team, I think the Red Devils will have a hard time this season, as there is not much variation in play except a ball in the open to Rashford and Martial.

I see United even managing to win here, but I would be surprised if it were for 2 goals difference, so value at +1.5 pro Palace.

Crystal Palace +1.5 @1.86 2 units

Brighton x Southampton

Brighton started the season surprisingly by beating Watford away from home 3-0, and it was better against West Ham and also deserved to win, but despite that, I can't see this team with enough gas to be a solid team, and win games or have good sequences. Graham Potter is a great coach and has had an immediate impact on the Brighton team, but the team still has a long way to go and become as strong a favorite as Southampton. I see the visiting team with much better pieces, and there is also a very good coach who has greatly improved the Saints since arriving.

For this game, I see Southampton with full obligation to win right now so as not to look bad on the table and still try to fight for the seventh spot. The team created a lot against Sheffield United and failed to score, and against Liverpool took a great goal from Mané when it was better in the game, and an incredible chance missed by Ings to draw against the champions of Europe last Saturday. I was surprised by the very high level of gameplay presented and few teams usually give Liverpool trouble like that. With great pieces like Che Adams which is a great addition and Redmond, plus an extremely strong midfield that surpasses even big teams like United with Lemina, Ward Prowse and Hojberg.

There is no shortage of pieces for Saints to fit in, and the team has had bad luck for the past two seasons, and it's about time to be a postulant again for the seventh wave. A well-structured game system, good plays and a team that can create many chances, the ball is missing. I hope this will happen in the next game as the team from the south of England succeeds.

Southampton DNB @2.28 Pinnacle 2 units

Sheffield United x Leicester City

Leicester have to consider themselves unlucky not to have beaten Chelsea in the last match, even with a silly mistake by Ndidi, the team went after the score and got a draw with Ndidi himself, but it was very cheap for the Lampard team, which was well spaced and gave plenty of space to Vardy, Perez and especially Maddison who was in very bad match.

For this game, I really don't understand why a -0.25 line here. It is a totally second tier team at the moment, although it is much better suited than teams like last season's Fulham that invested a lot and was downgraded. Sheffield United has a style of play with a lot of air ball and direct link, and should be one of the points for the team to embrace, despite having a good variation against Palace, it is a duel where the other team hardly attacked, so I don't see it happening here.

I see Leicester as a much stronger team than Sheffield in every aspect of the game, and in order to level up, these teams need to beat teams that don't want much, and learn to win well. I see Brendan Rodgers as a great coach, and this new Leicester style of play is more suited to players than the old one where he had a lot of counterattack and little possession.

With a team attacking from the front, and with pieces like Maddison who is an excellent player, Ayoze Perez who was the highlight of Newcastle also very dynamic, besides Tielemans who was bought by the Foxies and is already totally adapted, I see Leicester with condition to impose on this game here, and give the reality shock to the team that just climbed to the first division, so value at Leicester here.

Leicester -0,25 @1.99 Pinnacle 3 units

From the way how I saw so far West Ham and how they play overall and defend , and from the way how Watford looked last game .....I think Watford more chances to win this game 

This  West Ham defense Just Remind of UAE and Qatar leagues ??

This post from @Tiffy few months ago made me think I do not want to bet against Brighton this season as Tony Bloom - one of the most successful UK punters surrounded with computers has made a calculated bet to sack Chris Hughton and appoint Graham Porter. So far his bet is paying off. I reckon Brighton will not lose vs Southampton at home and will win a lot more points than most would expect.

6 minutes ago, vicsuna said:

This post from @Tiffy few months ago made me think I do not want to bet against Brighton this season as Tony Bloom - one of the most successful UK punters surrounded with computers has made a calculated bet to sack Chris Hughton and appoint Graham Porter. So far his bet is paying off. I reckon Brighton will not lose vs Southampton at home and will win a lot more points than most would expect.

Problably yes, but the oddmakers already expect them to do it, now is bet agains. They are favorites against a team way better tham them

Liverpool x Arsenal

Arsenal has been a pleasant surprise in the transfer window, for me it was the one that hired the best from Tottenham, and the team really changed the level, besides a second year for a great coach like Unay Emery, having Pepe hired gives a absurd increase in offensive capability of this team, besides the great Dani Ceballos who came on loan and has also been very important. Combining these hires, with the development and adaptation of young people like Guendouzi and Maitland-Niles, I can see Arsenal far above United and Chelsea.

For this match against Liverpool, it will be quite a test, last season at that same stadium the Arsenal team looked like children playing against adults and seeing Salah, Mané and Firmino completely humiliate you in prime time, but I can't imagine that happening here. Arsenal's defense with David Luiz who is a good defender after all and improves Arsenal's defense.

Liverpool has not pleased me in any of the games so far, maybe the second half against Manchester City in the supercup was the best moment for the Reds, but it's still far from that whole dominance, and in my opinion they won't be, and This is where I will hug myself here. Liverpool are very regressive, and players like Salah and Mané shouldn't have seasons as good as top scorers again, besides. Alexander Arnold's level of improvement from season to season doesn't seem sustainable to me either.

I see an Arsenal going up, and Liverpool falling a little bit, despite having a much better team than Arsenal yet, I find this line exaggerated, especially at the beginning of the season, and having such a strong opponent on the other side.

Arsenal +1.25 @1.84 Pinnacle 1.5 units

1 hour ago, Ulrik said:

Manchester United x Crystal Palace

Manchester United are the biggest team in England, but far from being the best this season, even after beating Chelsea where they beat 4-0 at Old Trafford, the team went to visit Wolves and even away. home, played better than Nuno Espirito Santo's team, and just did not win by the penalty wasted by Pogba.

United are usually a team that has a lot of bets in their favor, and last season this became very clear, as even in a clear bad phase, the odds always came with great value against, and always very aggressive handicaps. In this case here, it is very similar to that, Sheffield United's handicap at home against Palace was DNB, and in this game comes at a +1.5 side of the London side, something I consider very high for how Crystal Palace looks For the game, it's no use wanting to compare equal lines of teams with different characteristics. Palace are a few solid teams out of the top 6, and they have been using this form of having physically strong players and fast attacks against Zaha for a long time, and yet you can extract a lot of value.

For this game, Max Meyer is doubtful, the German has a very different style of playing Palace and has not yet fully adapted, and maybe not go, I would rather see a Crystal Palace with a strong midfielder like Schlupp than see Meyer having to do what really isn't his.

United have a lot of offensive pieces that can break Palace's defense, but against a close team, I think the Red Devils will have a hard time this season, as there is not much variation in play except a ball in the open to Rashford and Martial.

I see United even managing to win here, but I would be surprised if it were for 2 goals difference, so value at +1.5 pro Palace.

Crystal Palace +1.5 @1.86 2 units

Good analysis @Ulrik and I agree with much of what you have written. My concern is that Palace's performance at Bramall Lane last week was one of the worst I have seen in years; completely inept and witless. Team could not string a single pass together in opposition half and cohesion in attacking play was almost non-existent.

Palace are also missing 3 out 4 starters from last years backline: Wan-Bissaka (sold), Tomkins (injured) & Sakho (injured), Palace are not as defensively reliable with current makeshift backline.

As you've already highlighted this is a game between a team that can exploit space but isn't the most creative (Utd) and a team that plays with 2 banks of 4 which makes them adept at not allowing space (Palace) so ordinarily a generous AH line for Palace should be backed here. However, I feel Utd have improved from last year and short term outlook for Palace is not good.

Sheffield Utd could have scored more against Palace last week if they'd wanted to but instead they sat back after getting the 1 goal, did a professional performance and shut the game down. Man Utd may not be so frugal in their play after taking a lead against Palace.

Anyway, I like your posts, you have good knowledge of English Premier League and I think Leicester +0 or Leicester DNB at around 1.6 would be a relatively safe play for this card. If Sheffield Utd try to play that expansive centre-back stuff against a team like Leicester it will be very dangerous for them.

2 hours ago, Ameer said:

From the way how I saw so far West Ham and how they play overall and defend , and from the way how Watford looked last game .....I think Watford more chances to win this game 

This  West Ham defense Just Remind of UAE and Qatar leagues ??

What makes it even worse is that West Ham failed to bring in any new defenders for the new season. While they constantly suffer from issues with the left fullback position. And Zabaleta is not getting younger, so can't help that much on the right side.

That being said, it's the same defence that got a clean sheet at Tottenham, got a 1:1 at home against Liverpool, lost only 0:1 visiting Man City, beat Arsenal 1:0 at home and got a 0:0 draw against Chelsea at home. And the same defence allowed Huddersfield to score 3 goals at the London stadium.

For the record, Watford beat the Hammers away 2:0 last December and then lost 1:4 to them at home in May (Watford were poor in May). The more motivated team will win today, just not sure which team that is.