EFL Cup Predictions > Sep 24th & 25th

eflcup.jpg

The EFL Cup 3rd Round is coming up this week and there's a number of intriguing ties. This competition always offers potential value for money with the big sides often resting players and fielding reserve sides. Check out the odds above and let us know any predictions you have for these midweek matches. :ok

Pretty sure Arsenal will change their entire team, so could be there for the taking. We've got something like 8.5k fans going so hopefully we will play our strongest team possible. We've already had two big away wins this season and 15/2 Forest worth chancing if we don't make too many changes (I'm going to wait for the lineups, but probably small stakes anyway).

Arsenal vs Nottingham F.

Arsenal

Doubtful: Kieran Tierney (0/0 d), Hector Bellerin (0/0 d), Konstantinos Mavropanos (0/0 d)

Out (injuries/other): Alexandre Lacazette (3/2 f)

Suspended: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (6/0 m)

Nottingham F.

Doubtful: Sammy Ameobi (8/0 m)

Out (injuries/other): Rafa Mir (4/0 f), Michael Hefele (0/0 d), Ryan Yates (0/0 m), Carl Jenkinson (3/0 d), Tendayi Darikwa (0/0 d), Yohan Benalouane (0/0 d)

Suspended: -

Colchester Utd vs Tottenham

Colchester Utd

Doubtful: Freddie Hinds (0/0 f)

Out (injuries/other): Harry Pell (1/0 m), Callum Harriott (0/0 f)

Tottenham

Doubtful: Juan Marcos Foyth (0/0 d)

Out (injuries/other): Hugo Lloris (5/0 first goalkeeper, personal reasons), Giovani Lo Celso (3/0 m), Ryan Sessegnon (0/0 m)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Portsmouth vs Southampton

The EFL Cup 3rd Round delivers a highly-anticipated South Coast derby this week when League One side Portsmouth host Premier League club Southampton in a 7:45pm BST kick-off at Fratton Park. There's a long and bitter history between these two clubs with the first meeting having been held on 6th September, 1899. Victory on that day went to Pompey. Will it be the same here?

Portsmouth are enduring a tough old season. The appointment of serial League One promotion winner Kenny Jackett as their manager seemed like a stroke of genius. Last season saw the club narrowly miss out on promotion to the Championship via the play-offs. Unfortunately, this year the club are struggling down in 20th place just 2 points above the relegation zone with only 1 league win to their name. Solid wins over Birmingham and QPR in the EFL Cup have got them to this stage and suggest they're a much meaner prospect away from league action.

Southampton will surely be looking at this competition as a way to get into Europe. The Saints have started this season reasonably well with 2 wins, 1 draw, and 3 defeats seeing them secure in a mid-table position. The 3-1 defeat at home to Bournemouth last Friday night does bring into question Ralph Hasenhuttl's ability to get his team up for a derby game. His side will face a volatile atmosphere at Fratton Park tonight so will his team be able to handle it, especially if he makes some changes.

The two sides have met in this competition once before and it was Southampton that prevailed as 2-0 winners on that occasion. Portsmouth have 62 wins to their name compared to Southampton's 56 victories with 21 games drawn in all competitions between the two sides. Southampton's form is something to be wary of and my head is saying they'll squeak an away win again here. The fact it might not be over 90 minutes and, as you all know, I love to back an underdog in this competition, I'm going to back a Portsmouth Double Chance.

Portsmouth Double Chance @ 2.43 with Marathonbet

BTTS @ 1.91 with Betfred

@Mindfulness, @Pep004, @MaliMisko12, @betcatalog, @sajtion, @godofhorses, @Tiffy, @waynecoyne, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @Duke_Tm, @dogmeister, @Arkadi Manucharov, @derbent, @fat, @allyhibs, @6avin24, @discipline, @the bastardian, @Bronxie, @Bett@KikoCy, @teddybear3011, @markus808, @allthethings, @Kenton Schweppes, @vasilli07, @Dylan Lynch, @neilovan, @JKos, @zemo91, @kulikTS, @mrclubbie, @Judeksi, @Henind666, @Dave1X2, @canaries91, @jazzman02, @sajtion, @Darran, @postmanplod69, @eddiem, @bartonbank, @yossa6133, @Teodore, @thinkpink63, @Carovie, @i1_principe, @MrJol, and @AndreBR.

6 hours ago, betcatalog said:

Of the options that are worth playing are the win of overring Bournemouth at Burton's headquarters, two categories below, given the quality difference
BURTON ALBION vs AFC BOURNEMOUTH @@ AFC BOURNEMOUTH, odds 1.70

Burton have a history of upsets in this competition and bournemouth usually change alot of players so i would leave alone at the prices, despite the quality difference.

MK Dons vs Liverpool

OK, so last night didn't go as we had hoped but we take these cup bets with a pinch of salt. Next up, we take a look at another potential upset when League One side MK Dons face Premier League leaders and reigning Champions League winners Liverpool in a 7:45pm BST tonight at Stadium MK. Can the home side take advantage of a weakened Reds side?

MK Dons have had a mixed start to their league season with 4 wins and 5 defeats putting them in 15th place in the league table. Back-to-back 1-0 losses in the league against Ipswich and Southend means that Paul Tisdale's side are in desperate need of a win and even to simply score a goal. On the plus side, their form in the cup competitions has been a welcome relief from league action. In the EFL Cup, the Dons have beaten arch rivals AFC Wimbledon on penalties after a 2-2 draw and navigated their way past Southend with a 4-1 victory. In the EFL Trophy, their only game so far ended in a 3-0 win over League Two side Stevenage.

Liverpool could not have started the league season much better. Jurgen Klopp's men have a 100% record in the league with 6 wins from their 6 league games. This has consisted of 17 goals scored and just 5 goals conceded. It's expected that the Reds will make wholesale changes tonight with a number of fringe and youth players giving the nod such as Caoimhin Kelleher, Dejan Lovren, Joe Gomez, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Rhian Brewster potentially being given a start. Liverpool were eliminated at this stage by Chelsea last season, Leicester at the same stage the season before that, but they did reach the semi-finals in 2016/17.

I have a feeling Liverpool should have enough to get through this game but it's always worth backing the home side to try and get something in these games. Once again, I'm using this competition as a freebie to back the underdog. I don't recommend you follow me if you are serious about winning your bet but if you fancy a more risky punt as an EFL Cup treat then let's do this! MK Dons double chance is my call. It'll probably end in tears. If you're sensible you'll back MK Dons +2 or Liverpool -2 depending on your preference. I'm going all out though! Come on you Dons... and I never thought I'd be supporting MK Dons to win a game of football!

MK Dons Double Chance @ 4.10 with Marathonbet

BTTS @ 1.75 with Bet365

I really don't fancy Man United against anybody at the moment. After a freak 4-0 win over Chelsea they have managed just 5 goals in 6 games played. I think 2 of those were penalties. I think you see another disjointed performance from United, as all the rusty fringe players get a potential run out. United probably play at least 5 youngsters so I am not expecting much. A scrappy low scoring game on the cards here.

I would really like to see Axel Taunzebe play, hopefully with Maguire. For me this has potential to be  United's best center back pairing. Get the partnership going !

United squad :

Sergio Romero, Lee Grant, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Phil Jones, Axel Tuanzebe, Marcos Rojo, Brandon Williams, Scott McTominay, Andreas Pereira, Paul Pogba, Fred, James Garner, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Mason Greenwood, Daniel James, Tahith Chong.

would be tempted to take Rochdale on the double chance here. Odds of 7 are decent for a small bet.

Edited by neilovan