** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

French Open 2022

Nadal holds a 6-3 edge in the h2h rivalry with Sascha, but the German has won the 3(!) of their past 4 clashes (all in straight sets). 

Also, Zverev avenged the lopsided defeat to Alcaraz at the Madrid Open with an impressive victory (6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6) on Philippe Chatrier. This was his long-awaited first win over a top-10 player at a Grand Slam. Who knows how much this win can boost his confidence now. 

I think the greatest value is on the German to win at least two sets (a.k.a Zverev +1.5 sets handicap).

Good luck.

Edited by Foo_Fighter

3 hours ago, Foo_Fighter said:

Nadal holds a 6-3 edge in the h2h rivalry with Sascha, but the German has won the 3(!) of their past 4 clashes (all in straight sets). 

Also, Zverev avenged the lopsided defeat to Alcaraz at the Madrid Open with an impressive victory (6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6) on Philippe Chatrier. This was his long-awaited first win over a top-10 player at a Grand Slam. Who knows how much this win can boost his confidence now. 

I think the greatest value is on the German to win at least two sets (a.k.a Zverev +1.5 sets handicap).

Good luck.

Ok , but today it’s Rolland Garros , Semi final …  ?
And Nadal isn’t Alcaraz ?

Nadal -1,5 set for me ?

Edited by Heisenberg68

10 minutes ago, Heisenberg68 said:

Ok , but today it’s Rolland Garros , Semi final …  ?
And Nadal isn’t Alcaraz ?

Nadal -1,5 set for me ?

agreed. As much as I love carlito, he still makes TONS of errors when he's off his game, and even then he almost turned it around against zverev. If nadal's leg is ok, he will absolutely punish zverev , he doesn t make fortuitous errors, he gets the job done especialy in a RG semifinal. Zverev might take a set, he has the game to do it but I don t see him having a shot at winning. Also they re playing in day time where rafa feels most comfortble as he said.

1 hour ago, Foo_Fighter said:

And if Zverev catches fire on serve, he will demolish Nadal. We're simplifying things lol

his serve is returnable on clay and his 1-2 combo ain't that great either. He won t demolish nadal in any way even if he serves great , while nadal will soundly beat him if he comes in the same form as the djokovic match.

55 minutes ago, raduvlad1995 said:

his serve is returnable on clay and his 1-2 combo ain't that great either. He won t demolish nadal in any way even if he serves great , while nadal will soundly beat him if he comes in the same form as the djokovic match.

Fair enough. I guess we'll see what happens. Ain't denying that Nadal remains the favorite, just saying that Zverev is an elite player who's got every shot on his arsenal, so he's more than capable of beating Nadal. Besides, he's already done that three times in his career so far.

I'm backing Zverev on the match line. I can see the arguments for Nadal and the arguments against, but essentially I see Nadal's win over Djokovic as overhyped and the effect of that is to underestimate Zverev's chances. I'm also backing Ruud again in the outrights as I believe his consistency will see him past Cilic, who can be erratic. Good luck to those on Nadal, and Zverev also.

20pts Zverev to beat Nadal @ 3.75 Boyles

15pts Ruud to win ATP French Open @ 8.06

7 minutes ago, Torque said:

I'm backing Zverev on the match line. I can see the arguments for Nadal and the arguments against, but essentially I see Nadal's win over Djokovic as overhyped and the effect of that is to underestimate Zverev's chances. I'm also backing Ruud again in the outrights as I believe his consistency will see him past Cilic, who can be erratic. Good luck to those on Nadal, and Zverev also.

Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

Sadly that's the end of that for Zverev. Had all the chances in the world but couldn't take them. Shouldn't have even gone to a tie-break - the game where Nadal broke back was a donation. He didn't win the game, Zverev lost it through unforced errors. All Rafa did was keep the ball in play and that's what he's been doing all match.

8 hours ago, Torque said:

Ruud makes the final and the Zverev bet was voided after he retired, which is fortunate because based on what I saw he wasn't going to be able to win that match. Popular opinion suggested the contrary as he was very much in it when he got injured and Nadal didn't appear to be at his best and looked as though he would tire the longer the match went on, but every time he got ahead he wasn't able to hold the advantage and his second serve became a complete liability. He had all the tools to get the win except the most important one which was in his head. Even if he'd gotten himself into a position to win, it's hard to imagine he'd have been able to keep himself together and finish the job.

Moving on to the Women's final tomorrow, I'll be hoping for a Swiatek win as I've got a pretty big red on Gauff. She's a big favourite and so should win, but you never know and certainly there's recent precedent for a Gauff win in the shape of Andreescu at the US. For the Men, I'm red on Nadal and green on Ruud. Most likely Ruud will succumb like all those before him, but he served really well against Cilic and kept unforced errors to a minimum and a repeat of that plus any physical issues for Nadal and he may just stand a chance.

2 youngsters vying for the RG WTA title.  Swiatek and Gauff added age is still less than Serena Williams!  Can Coco win a RG title in this edition?  Yes but she has more chance to win the double partnering Pegula vs the French pair of Garcia/Mladenovic.  Unless Swiatek cannot hold her nerves and choke during the final match which is unlikely to happen at this stage, she should be able to go on and win the title in 2 sets.

@four-leaf.  Why are you confused of my short write-up?  Maybe you are not aware that Gauff is partnering Pegula tomorrow in the Doubles final match.

I was saying that Gauff has a chance to win the Doubles title (tomorrow) but not the Single today vs Swiatek.

And of course I have mentioned Coco is also playing the Doubles Final (tomorrow) was to highlight that she has played many more matches compared to Swiatek in the same span of time which is a disadvantage to her. 

This is one of the reasons that I am taking Swiatek to win the final in straight sets.

Edited by Robinnho
add content

Zverev did his 'best' to make Nadal looks as hero. He wasted too many opportunities to kill both sets. In many cases he should win deciding points by hitting the ball on Nadal's wrong foot. I am not impressed by Nadal this year.

For me, Ruud has huge chance to make it and to lift the trophy in front of Nadal's fans. It is crazy what is happening with fans. In Australia final, the audience was so dirty against Medvedev, something got me disgusted. 

So, i support Ruud as revenge. See you later with the last pick

11 hours ago, delfino said:

Zverev did his 'best' to make Nadal looks as hero. He wasted too many opportunities to kill both sets. In many cases he should win deciding points by hitting the ball on Nadal's wrong foot. I am not impressed by Nadal this year.

For me, Ruud has huge chance to make it and to lift the trophy in front of Nadal's fans. It is crazy what is happening with fans. In Australia final, the audience was so dirty against Medvedev, something got me disgusted. 

So, i support Ruud as revenge. See you later with the last pick

I watched the 1st set tie breaker and Zverev really didn't do a lot wrong. Nadal simply played 4 or 5 ridiculous points, that were so good it was insane. The one point with the crazy dig on the backhand followed by a running cross court pass was probably the best point of the tournament. I watched 1 rally that was 42 shots which was also off the charts. Nadal to beat Medvedev in Australia was a far bigger task than having to beat a 1st time finalist on his favorite surface.

Zverev, being tall was able to hit his two handed backhand though the Nadal hook/topspin. It's a very tricky shot, but you need height, great footwork, and must take the ball on the rise. This nullified Nadal's forehand. Ruud simply does not have the ability to do this, and Nadal will grind his backhand into the ground. The Nadal forehand to the Ruud backhand will determine the outcome, and I expect Ruud to have very few answers.

I agree. This is a completely different match-up than Nadal-Zverev and, crucially, Ruud hasn't had a chance to play against Nadal before. Imagine that - your first meeting with Nadal and it's in a GS final...If Ruud can overcome that, then obviously more power to him, but it seems rather improbable.

I also agree with Neilovan and CzechPunter that Nadal is likely to win this year's final and break his own record to become a 22-GS title winner and 14 RG champion in 14/14 finals.  I am not betting because of the low odds as due to Nadal's age and health problem, I have no confident that Nadal will win in 3 sets.  Nadal is not at his best condition and I reckon at about 70% and his doctor is with him 24/7 throughout the tournament.  But of course he is determined to play his best and I think even at about 70% health, he is good enough to beat Ruud who is at this big stage for the first time.

At an interview ahead of the final, Nadal said:

"I would prefer to lose Sunday's final and get a new foot. I would be happy with my life with a new foot. A win is beautiful, but life is much more important than any title. Especially after the career that I had".

Therefore I think this is the last chance for Nadal to win his 22nd GS title.

Edited by Robinnho
add content

On 6/4/2022 at 11:39 AM, Robinnho said:

@four-leaf.  Why are you confused of my short write-up?  Maybe you are not aware that Gauff is partnering Pegula tomorrow in the Doubles final match.

I was saying that Gauff has a chance to win the Doubles title (tomorrow) but not the Single today vs Swiatek.

I thought Gauff had better chances to win than what was acctually the case...

Hamad Medjedovic is at it again and he looks like winning as usual in a challenger quali. He'll soon be top 300. He's facing Li Tu from Australia in Bratislava clay challenger today.

I had a bet on Hamad to win 2-0 as is usually the case for me when he is favourite nowadays. I hope you keep your eyes on him. He payed pretty well in this weeks challenger before Bratislava.

Edited by four-leaf

3 hours ago, Robinnho said:

I also agree with Neilovan and CzechPunter that Nadal is likely to win this year's final and break his own record to become a 22-GS title winner and 14 RG champion in 14/14 finals.  I am not betting because of the low odds as due to Nadal's age and health problem, I have no confident that Nadal will win in 3 sets.  Nadal is not at his best condition and I reckon at about 70% and his doctor is with him 24/7 throughout the tournament.  But of course he is determined to play his best and I think even at about 70% health, he is good enough to beat Ruud who is at this big stage for the first time.

At an interview ahead of the final, Nadal said:

"I would prefer to lose Sunday's final and get a new foot. I would be happy with my life with a new foot. A win is beautiful, but life is much more important than any title. Especially after the career that I had".

Therefore I think this is the last chance for Nadal to win his 22nd GS title.

Looks like we all agree that Ruud is going to find it extremely difficult to win this. From my side I hope he does, but unless Nadal's foot starts playing up I can't see it. Nadal will give this match his full attention and effort in the knowledge he most likely won't play again until the US hard court swing and even then only if he plans to play the US. Based on the comments he's made about his foot he might miss the rest of the season altogether and although I'd say it's unlikely, he might even say that's it and finish with another French Open title.

That was a disappointing finish. Ruud was never in it from the start really and losing 11 games on the spin to lose the match from a break up in the second set was just rubbing it in. Anyway it's time to sum up and for me it was a losing tournament, although not too much which is something to be grateful for as I did have some big liabilities at one stage. Overall just over 750 points were invested, which generated a loss of nearly 40 points and a yield of -5% for the tournament. I'll hope to do better at Wimbledon. :hope

I think the young lad had given up after losing 5 games in a row from 3-1 up in the second. I don't know how Nadal managed to play with a numbed foot for the whole tournament and if he will try again for a third slam this year at Wimbledon. It's going to be less meaningful though with all the political nonsense surrounding it, politics and sport should be kept separate!