** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

French Open 2022

12 hours ago, delfino said:

Tsitsipas cruised against the very weak Ymer. The Swedish was absolutely useless, and i wonder why some of you picked him to beat Tsitsipas.

For me, Tsitsipas MAIN weakness is his father. I noticed ZERO progress for the last three years. Truly, Tsitsipas was BETTER in year 2019 than now.

If he doesn't get rid of his idiot father, no more progress is ahead for him. His idiot father, is the curse of Tsitsipas.

Does anyone on the ATP tour has a serve, worse than Schwartzman's? (Ymer's doesn't count)

Qinwen Zheng (+7.5) to beat Iga Swiatek at 1.70 with Pinnacle

Obviously I don't expect to see an upset here, but this is getting ridiculous given that this is a Grand Slam, that Zheng beat a (limited) Halep, and that Swiatek didn't have the best of days against Kovinic. Zheng can play attacking tennis and produce some neat serves, she's the new generation of Chinese players and has absolutely nothing to lose here. 

Djokovic 1.45 Nadal 2.55

I can understand some kind of logic behind this odds,but i stil think they are not "appropriate". Even tough Nadal was really average today v FFA.

10 hours ago, DrO said:

Djokovic 1.45 Nadal 2.55

I can understand some kind of logic behind this odds,but i stil think they are not "appropriate". Even tough Nadal was really average today v FFA.

I think rafa was prety good, it's just that nowdays he randomly looses intensity and felix played a damn good match. I think alliassime is one of the players that have realy improved their games.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:52 AM, Robinnho said:

FAA might have lost in the opening round of the RG last 2 years but he has a new coach last year, Toni Nadal, the ex-coach of Rafael Nadal.  FAA is much better prepared this time and in much better condition compared to the last 2 editions.  Therefore I think winning the 1st round this time within 4 sets is within his ability.

Nadal had a slow start and lost the 1st set but after realizing that his opponent was having a good plan (strategy) for this match-up, he stepped up and knew that he has to be at his best to win this match.

19 minutes ago, delfino said:

Does anyone knows Rune? Personally i don't have any opinion about him, but i guess he will be hard stuff to be beaten. Handicap games on him might be interested. Tsitsipas not really impressive.

I have him taking a set against tsitsipas, but seeing how random clay matches are he'll somehow get straight setted by the greek. He 100% has the game to trouble tsitsipas , but we ll see , he s still young and unexperienced but seems to have a solid mentality

23 minutes ago, raduvlad1995 said:

I have him taking a set against tsitsipas, but seeing how random clay matches are he'll somehow get straight setted by the greek. He 100% has the game to trouble tsitsipas , but we ll see , he s still young and unexperienced but seems to have a solid mentality

Thanks a lot. Based on that, my choice is Rune +6,5 games to beat Tsitsipas @1.78 meridianbet

I'm backing a few more outrights, all on the exchanges. On the Men's side I think Djokovic's price is skinny  so I'm putting some more on Alcaraz, Tsitsipas and Rublev. For the Women, it's hard now to look past Swiatek so I'm putting some more on her. If she doesn't win though I've already backed a few others and I'm adding Gauff to those I've backed and also topping up on Fernandez.

20pts Alcaraz to win ATP French Open @ 4.04

15pts Tsitsipas to win ATP French Open @ 8.84

2pts Rublev to win ATP French Open @ 73.52

-------------------------------------------------------

45pts Swiatek to win WTA French Open @ 1.46

10pts Gauff to win WTA French Open @ 14.72

10pts Fernandez to win WTA French Open @ 14.72

7 minutes ago, raduvlad1995 said:

well , sad to see how much tsitsipas has fallen sadly, but good for the youngster, he has a bright future.

Tsitsipas had the air as he trudged off of a player that knew he was nowhere near the level required to compete at this tournament. Rune played very well regardless of what Tsitsipas was doing, but I'll be surprised if he goes much further and certainly his talk about winning the tournament is premature to say the least.

For me, Alcaraz or Djokovic. One of the two will lift the trophy, and i think Djokovic looks as monster of tennis intelligence against everybody.

From the bottom half nobody is even near to challenge either Alcaraz and of course Djokovic

Rune is good, but i am not crazy of what i have seen from him today. He has potential yes, we are talking for now.

So now Rune no chance to beat either of the two. Tsitsipas was playing as having only forehand. Not a big issue for me to beat Tsitsipas these days...

On 5/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, Robinnho said:

Totally agree.  If Zheng keeps her composure and plays her A-game, she might be able to steal a set from the red hot favorite, Swiatek which pays more than 4!

Zheng has taken the 1st set from Swiatek!

On 5/29/2022 at 5:36 PM, CzechPunter said:

Phew, the +7.5 handicap on Zheng looks appealing, I mean...

On 5/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, Robinnho said:

Totally agree.  If Zheng keeps her composure and plays her A-game, she might be able to steal a set from the red hot favorite, Swiatek which pays more than 4!

Zheng has taken the 1st set from Swiatek!?

Quick update on my outrights. So far I've lost Anisimova, Teichmann and most disappointingly from my perspective, Tsitsipas. He was very subdued against Rune and his body language wasn't great, even after he got ahead at the start of the match. Losing the first set from a break ahead and then one bad service game in the third set were what ultimately cost him, and he made reference after the match to having trouble finding his rhythm and being nervous and frustrated and you could see all those things in the way he played. Confidence is such a big thing in tennis and when you aren't feeling confident about your shots or your strategy or whether you can execute your strategy it's very difficult to win, especially at this level. Tsitsipas also alluded to a kind of brain fog, where he was lacking the focus and clarity needed to change his strategy more quickly and come in when returning serve rather than standing back. All things considered it seems possible that he's suffering from burnout - he's played a lot of tennis in the last few years, there was the crushing disappointment of losing the final here last year and then there's the issues with his return game and backhand which I'm sure he's aware of. It might be an idea for him to take some time away so that he can recharge and reset, decide what changes he wants to make to his game and find the energy and enthusiasm to make another attempt at reaching the top of the sport - bearing in mind that younger players like Alcaraz are coming through and so that target isn't going to get any easier to achieve. Something more about Tsitsipas' loss of confidence is an unspecified change of equipment - very strange to use new equipment at such a big tournament and a further possible explanation for his struggles.

Moving on to the players I still have left, there's Alcaraz, Nadal, Swiatek, Fernandez, Kasatkina, Zverev, Ruud, Rublev and Gauff. I'm hopeful of at least getting a finalist in the ATP, and I'm only looking at a total loss right now if Djokovic, Cilic or Rune wins. I'm having a hard time imagining Cilic winning and the same goes for Rune as mentioned earlier, whilst a Djokovic win is much more likely as he's the favourite and has been since the start. On the WTA side, I've got half of the quarter-finalists and none are playing each other so there's a good chance of getting at least one finalist. Swiatek remains a very strong favourite in the betting, but I'm not as convinced as I was after a couple of what looked like nervy performances from her. She was cruising against Kovinic before being pegged back which meant it was a tighter match than it should have been and then Zheng won a first set she had no right to win, having been 5-2 down in both the set and the subsequent tie-break. To me it looks like Swiatek is struggling with the weight of expectation and so I wouldn't be surprised now if she fails to take the title. The other players that I've backed I'm happy to have onside, and I think they can all win their matches. Kasatkina vs. Kudermetova should be close, Trevisan is obviously in great form but Fernandez is playing well and has the experience of going all the way in a Slam and Gauff looks like she's ready to deliver on the potential she's been showing for the last few years - although she's the one I worry about most as Stephens looks really switched on here after what looks more and more like a tank in Strasbourg.

Edited by Torque

I don't really see anything interesting betting-wise today, but the matches should be cracking on the men's side of things. As much as I like Nadal, I don't think he's worth a bet and I think he's in for a loss unfortunately, his foot might flare up at any point as well.

I m very secure in betting on carlito taking out zverev. Zverev hasn t impressed me this RG and alcaraz got better and better after the ramos win. He just has too many tools for zverev to handle IMO. I also firmly see ruud beating rune, good performance from casper against hurkacz and IMO just too strong for rune. I m curious how you guys see nadal djokovic, I think novak has the highest level of them all this RG, but am still scared to take him as an outright winner. Maybe over 3,5 sets as the safer bet ?

Edited by raduvlad1995

Djokovic vs Nadal

They are going to meet for the 59th time and Djoko leads the H2H 30-28 - Nadal 19-8 on clay.  At 36, this could be the last RG for Nadal and he is likely not-to-win this edition of RG.  He is unlikely to beat Djoko tonight in Paris.  On top of facing a "better" and fitter player at the moment, Nadal does not like to play at night due to the higher humidity and the ball is slower.  The match has been scheduled to be played during the controversial night session - 20h 45 local time - despite Nadal expressing reservations against it.  Of course the scheduling of the match at night is due to commercial reason.  Besides, Nadal is recovering from his foot injury and was taken to 5 sets by FAA 2 days ago in a physical battle in his last match.  In contrast, Djoko had a much easier passage in beating the "pink panther" in 3 sets at an earlier match on that same day.

Verdict: Everything is pointing to a Djokovic win tonight.

P.S. That said even Nadal only has a slim chance of winning, it does not mean the favorite will surely win.  I reckon it as the just concluded UEFA CL football final, played last weekend in Stade de France, Paris, where the highly favorite Liverpool lost to Real Madrid in regulation time.

Betting: Therefore for this "small" odds, it is just a small punt on Djokovic to win to enjoy the excitement of watching this 59th clash of the titans as there are not many more in the future if there is any.

7 minutes ago, Robinnho said:

Djokovic vs Nadal

They are going to meet for the 59th time and Djoko leads the H2H 30-28 - Nadal 19-8 on clay.  At 36, this could be the last RG for Nadal and he is likely not-to-win this edition of RG.  He is unlikely to beat Djoko tonight in Paris.  On top of facing a "better" and fitter player at the moment, Nadal does not like to play at night due to the higher humidity and the ball is slower.  The match has been scheduled to be played during the controversial night session - 20h 45 local time - despite Nadal expressing reservations against it.  Of course the scheduling of the match at night is due to commercial reason.  Besides, Nadal is recovering from his foot injury and was taken to 5 sets by FAA 2 days ago in a physical battle in his last match.  In contrast, Djoko had a much easier passage in beating the "pink panther" in 3 sets at an earlier match on that same day.

Verdict: Everything is pointing to a Djokovic win tonight.

P.S. That said even Nadal only has a slim chance of winning, it does not mean the favorite will surely win.  I reckon it as the just concluded UEFA CL football final, played last weekend in Stade de France, Paris, where the highly favorite Liverpool lost to Real Madrid in regulation time.

Betting: Therefore for this "small" odds, it is just a small punt on Djokovic to win to enjoy the excitement of watching this 59th clash of the titans as there are not many more in the future if there is any.

over 3,5 sets ? do you believe that rafa gets straight setted ?

4 hours ago, raduvlad1995 said:

over 3,5 sets ? do you believe that rafa gets straight setted ?

If you ask for my opinion, I will say "Yes", it is going to be over 3.5 sets.

I am looking at this match as the biggest match in this year RG, a blockbuster that is between 41 GS title holder - Nadal 21 to Djokovic 20.  This is going to be the most-viewed match-up in this year RG!  Therefore anything can happen.  If you have put your money in any bet, you have to take a risk, you are gambling, that's why I am only placing a small fun bet to watch the biggest match in RG this year with some excitement! I will be one of the beneficiary of the night-scheduled match where I can watch from the tossing coin to the last second of the match.

I say "Yes" because Nadal is going play to his best and will not wilt easily.  With this familiar foe, he can also come out with a wise game plan to do a second Cilic who beat Medvedev yesterday playing the best match of his career he said after the match.  Though I have mentioned that tonight Nadal is at a disadvantage as all the bookies agree, the night match can similarly affect Djoko and Nadal is old and experience enough to understand this and should have a right mindset to do away with his "night-match" fear!

Djoko-Alcaraz or Nadal-Alcaraz in the semi-final may also be a great match especially Alcaraz has beaten both the great players recently but it does not have the feel of a traditional blockbuster.  Alcaraz has many years ahead of him but we will not see Djoko and Nadal in too many GS. 

And in the final, we will see one of these player in Rune, Ruud, Rublev or Cilic who will more likely to be straight-setted.

Edited by Robinnho
add content

Came across this article:

image.thumb.png.9d40f404badb2902e0c1e70b32e41b78.png

Chinese tennis player Qinwen Zheng's French Open bid ended unexpectedly as severe menstrual cramps and a leg injury -- for which she took a medical timeout in the second set -- lead to her losing to world no 1, Poland's Iga Swiatek. Zheng, 19, had everyone awaiting a shock win as she claimed the opener in a tiebreak before slipping to a 6-7, 6-0 and 6-2 defeat.

According to CNN, she had no pain during the opening set but took a medical time out at 3-0 down in the second to strap her injured right leg.

"Yeah, the leg was also tough. That compared to the stomach was easy...I cannot play my tennis, (my) stomach was too painful," Zheng, ranked 74 in the world, told reporters, after the game.

China's Qinwen Zheng during her fourth round match against Poland's Iga Swiatek (Source: Reuters)

Referring to her menstrual pain, she added, "It's just girls' things, you know. The first day is always so tough and then I have to do sport and I always have so much pain in the first day. And I couldn't go against my nature."

"I wish I can be a man on court, but I cannot in that moment...I really wish I can be (a) man (so) that I don't have to suffer from this."

Adding that she enjoyed playing against Swiatek, Zheng said, "If I don't have my stomach pain, I think I could enjoy more, like to run better and to hit harder, to give more effort on court. It's a pity that I couldn't give what I want to give today. I just want (it so that) next time I play against her, I (am in) perfect shape."