** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Championship Predictions > Oct 19th & 20th

• 2 weeks later...

Sheffield Wednesday vs Middlesbrough

Now, I'm a little nervous doing this preview with us boasting a resident Owls fan in the shape of @waynecoyne but hopefully any tips I make he can expand on below. It's Sheffield Wednesday versus Middlesbrough in the Friday night kick-off at 7:45pm from Hillsborough.

Wednesday gaffer Jos Luhukay appears to be starting something interesting at the club. A rather bland start to the season has taken an upturn in recent weeks. The Owls are now unbeaten in their last 4 league games and have only lost 1 of their last 9 Championship games. This has seen them rise to 6th in the table on 19 points after 12 games. Encouraging stuff.

Middlesbrough have stuttered lately after what had been a very positive start. Tony Pulis saw his side win 4 of their first 5 league matches to set the early pace in the Championship with Leeds. However, just 1 win in their last 4 league matches has seen them drop to 4th in the table and they're now just 3 points ahead of their opponents in this game.

My immediate feeling looking at the statistics here is that a draw looks like the best bet. Wednesday are undefeated at home but have drawn 4 of their 6 league games at Hillsborough. Middlesbrough's record on the road is almost identical having drawn 50% of their away games. It seems Wednesday struggle to break teams down on home turf and Boro know how to grind out the results away.

One interesting fact you'll want to know if you're following in-play betting for this game is that Middlesbrough haven't lost in 67 Championship where they've taken the lead. It's a run that stretches right back to 7th March, 2015 when they lost 2-1 to Nottingham Forest away. So if Boro take the lead then get on that!

It's also worth noting that Middlesbrough haven't conceded a goal in the first half since the opening day of the season against Millwall. In fact, with only 6 goals conceded this season they have conceded an average of 0.5 goals per game. It's one of the best defensive records the second tier of English football has seen at this stage of a season.

I'm tempted to back Middlesbrough for a narrow win but Wednesday are a vastly improved outfit. Luhukay is giving some of the youngsters a chance to shine and with Jordan Thorniley, Cameron Dawson, and Matt Penney getting a lot of game time it feels like the future is bright for the Owls. I'm just not sure they'll have enough to break down this Boro side.

Draw @ 3.30 with Betfred

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.68 with Unibet

@waynecoyne, @sajtion, @arvee, @canaries91, @Mindfulness, @betcatalog, @Magic0024, @malabgd, @CloughandTaylor, @Tiffy, @PokerWolf1, @teddybear3011, @skyblues88, @allyhibs, @Icongene, @KikoCy, @willie82, @Neubs, @Papa Lazarou, @kulikTS, @Valkovets, @harry_rag, @Pipoca, @padman, @Marek76, @silver fox, @neilovan, @HastGill1, @jazzman02, @andypaps28, @Kenton Schweppes, @rangers234, @newjack, @Kane91, @yossa6133, @The Sexless Innkeeper, @Xcout, @Wanderer89, @four-leaf, @trevor8, @OppoArchitizerLady, and @the bastardian, what bets are you guys placing this weekend and do you agree with the preview above?

hi stevie

I think the draw is a decent shout. I'm finding it hard to predict Wednesday results and have been pleasantly surprised recently. I think we have been riding our luck a little but if opponents fail to take multiple chances and are punished then it is more than just luck. The keeper dawson worries me a little as he fails to dominate his area. Recent games have been fairly entertaining but that may cease tomorrow as Pulis rolls into town. I'm not having a bet at this stage.

4 hours ago, waynecoyne said:

hi stevie

I think the draw is a decent shout. I'm finding it hard to predict Wednesday results and have been pleasantly surprised recently. I think we have been riding our luck a little but if opponents fail to take multiple chances and are punished then it is more than just luck. The keeper dawson worries me a little as he fails to dominate his area. Recent games have been fairly entertaining but that may cease tomorrow as Pulis rolls into town. I'm not having a bet at this stage.

On paper it has draw drawn all over it. Surely has to be a draw......

Here;s my calls for Saturdays games:

Blackburn to beat Leeds
Ipswich to beat QPR
Villa to beat Swansea
Wigan to beat West Brom
Stoke to beat Birmingham !
Hull to draw with Preston
Rotherham to beat Bolton

Blackburn and Wigan are the outsiders. But you can get odds of 3.5 ! So hopefully one will turn up????

Football Facts and Streaks regarding Championship

Middlesbrough has under 2.5 goals in their last 3 games in Championship.
Sheffield Wednesday ended draw their last 3 home games in Championship.
Sheffield Wednesday scored in last 3 home games in Championship.
Middlesbrough scored in last 3 away games in Championship.

You can find interesting 76 Football Betting Streaks for 19.10.2018 on this link ... http://eurofootballrumours.com/football-facts-and-streaks-19-10-2018-11674

Sheffield Wed v Middlesbrough

Sheffield Wed: Sam Hutchinson (3/0 d, doubtful), Fernando Forestieri (9/3 f), Joost van Aken (1/0 d), Sam Winnall (0/0 f), Marco Matias (8/2 f), Kieran Lee (0/0 m), Gary Hooper (0/0 f), Almen Abdi (0/0 m)

Middlesbrough: no absences

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Aston Villa vs Swansea

Thanks for the team news @slipkid and @waynecoyne. It's this sort of fan knowledge that can create the edge. The next game I'm choosing to preview is an interesting one between Aston Villa and Swansea in a 3pm kick-off this Saturday at Villa Park. It is Dean Smith's first league game in charge of Villa against an inconsistent Swans team.

Steve Bruce was given the boot as Villa manager. I know a few Villa fans and at face value I thought sacking Bruce seemed harsh given his pedigree at this level but it sounds like problems ran deep at the club. His decision-making had become bizarre with bewildering team selections and player positioning. Rumours of bust-ups at training and rifts with board members. It seemed like the right decision. Then the board goes and brings in one of the most exciting managers in the division. Villa fans must be loving it!

Smith has a mouth-watering challenge in front of him. Villa are in 15th place and just 6 points off the bottom three but they possess a wealth of talent including James Chester, Ahmed Elmohamady, Jack Grealish, Yannick Bolasie, Conor Hourihane, Albert Adomah, Tammy Abraham, and Jonathan Kodjia. It's a team built ready for promotion. Dressing room morale is loss after four league games without a win too.

The Swans cannot build up a run of results for love nor money. Every time it looks like they've cracked it they falter. Then just when you start writing them off they bounce back. Graham Potter's side are 11th in the Championship. Just 1 win in their last 6 league games means they come into this game desperate to end the win drought.

History is not on Smith's side for this game. The last six Aston Villa managers have all failed to win their first game in charge. That includes Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert, Tim Sherwood, Remi Garde, Roberto Di Matteo, and Steve Bruce. The last manager to do it was Gerard Houllier back in 2010.

After predicting a draw in the Friday night game I'm tempted to back one again for this game. Aston Villa have drawn 50% of their home games this season and Swansea have drawn 50% of their away games this season. Smith will want to start his new job on a high but it might take time for his ideas to set in. It's also a controversial point that he has seemingly been persuaded to have John Terry as an assistant head coach alongside Richard O'Kelly instead of bringing Thomas Frank with him. How will the change in the backroom staff dynamics affect the way Smith's attacking philosophy is communicated?

I think over time that Smith should prove a decent appointment but this Villa job is a big one. It took a couple of seasons for Smith to really get the best out of his Brentford side but even then it felt like they just didn't quite have enough to reach the next level. He might well do that at Villa. Change might not happen straight away but I think he has the players at his disposal to get a result here. In fact, I'm calling it. Villa to win a tight game and Swansea's misery to continue.

Aston Villa to Win @ 1.97 with Marathonbet

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 2.08 with Blacktype

Nottingham Forest vs Norwich

The final Championship preview of this week is a risky one but one I was keen to do because it could be a brilliant game. Two former Premier League stalwarts in Nottingham Forest and Norwich go head-to-head at the City Ground for this 3pm kick-off on Saturday afternoon.

Nottingham Forest are beginning to look like the real deal under Aitor Karanka. The Tricky Trees are sitting in 5th place in the Championship on 19 points and just 5 points off the automatic promotion places. It's also six games without defeat now including an impressive 2-0 win away to Middlesbrough in their last league game.

Norwich are also progressing well under Daniel Farke with the club in 9th place on 18 points. Their EFL Cup form has helped to inspire a run of good results in the league leading to a spell of just 1 loss in their last 7 league games. Unfortunately, that one defeat was in their last league game in a 1-0 loss to Stoke at home.

This game could be a slow burner. Both Forest and Norwich have only scored three first half goals each this season. Only Rotherham have a worse record. So if you're looking for a sneaky bet then backing no goals in the first half could be a way to go for this one.

Karanka's record against Norwich is one for concern for the Canaries. Not only did his side keep two clean sheets last season but he has also never lost a regular Championship game against Norwich during his time in management. The hope for Norwich is that they did get the win in the 2014/15 Championship Play-Off Final.

If there is one thing Karanka knows how to do it's how to build a Championship side that can compete at the top end of the table. At Middlesbrough he based his philosophy on a solid defence but at Forest he's been more willing to attack teams. This approach has seen his side score 9 goals in their last 5 league games. I can see a win here again as the evolution of this settled Forest side continues.

Nottingham Forest to Win @ 2.40 with Bet365

BTTS @ 1.77 with SportPesa

Football Facts and Streaks regarding Championship

Leeds United has under 2.5 goals in their last 3 away games in Championship.
Norwich City scored in last 6 away games in Championship.
Nottingham Forest scored over 1.5 goals in last 4 games in Championship.
Millwall has over 2.5 goals in their last 4 games in Championship.
Leeds United scored in last 12 away games in Championship.
Stoke City scored in last 10 games in Championship.

You can find interesting 129 Football Betting Streaks for 20.10.2018 on this link ... http://eurofootballrumours.com/football-facts-and-streaks-20-10-2018-11677

I fancy Villa to beat Swansea, bit worried about your stat about their manager's first game in charge though!

I'm a Forest fan and I'm finding us hard to predict, we were dreadful against Millwall then go and beat Boro away, so I don't know.

Wigan seem to have gone off the boil lately, while WBA are slowly coming together, looks an away win to me.

Villa and WBA in my small acca. 

On 18/10/2018 at 11:30 PM, MangoTheThird said:

Here;s my calls for Saturdays games:

Blackburn to beat Leeds
Ipswich to beat QPR
Villa to beat Swansea
Wigan to beat West Brom
Stoke to beat Birmingham !
Hull to draw with Preston
Rotherham to beat Bolton

Blackburn and Wigan are the outsiders. But you can get odds of 3.5 ! So hopefully one will turn up????

3 out of 6 so far which, given the odds, makes a  profit of 2.5 times my stake! Hooray

✔ Blackburn 2 Leeds 1 $34.00
✘ Ipswich 0 QPR 2 $0.00
✘ Stoke 0 Birmingham 1 $0.00
✘ Rotherham 1 Bolton 1 $0.00
✔ Villa 1 Swansea 0 $20.00
✔ Wigan 1 West Brom 0 $32.50