Tennis Tips - January 14 - February 3

Dudi Sela to beat Pedro Martinez Portero at 1.67 with William Hill

I'm not sure how much damage Sela will be able to do on the main tour from now on, but it's clear that he still has what it takes to win some Challenger matches. Starting the season late, he won the doubles last week after losing against Majchrzak in three sets in the singles, which is a result that nobody can blame him for given how well that guy was playing against Nishikori. Portero doesn't look like a big threat to me and I'd have the odds at the 1.40 mark here.

1 hour ago, money44 said:

I will say that young is playing extremely well .. and I think he's going to come back and win . I suggest hedging your bet if you take Smith at the great price offered pre-match 

I was asleep and could not hedge any bet but I just woke up and saw it wasn't neccesarry with Roy winning in the decider by a 7-5 score in the breaker.

Nicola Kuhn to beat Seb Ofner at 1.55 with Unibet

Had a huge bet on Nicola to beat Fed Gaio last round and he did so convincingly and beating Seb shouldn't be bigger problems than winning the previous round even though Seb is ranked a bit higher. Nicola is defenitely on the rise and should crack top 200 rather sooner than later. Seb has been cold as the current weather in Stockholm right now for a long time and I don't expect any heroics from him here either.

Katie Boulter to beat Ekaterina Alexandrova at 3.55 local bookie

I can understand why Ekaterina are the favourite in this one but there's always value on a lucky loser. Katie also beat Ekaterina last time they met in Southsea last season on grass in straight sets and I can see her winning this time also. Unibet offers 3.25 on Katie so turned to my local bookie this time instead where the odds were higher.

Roy Smith to beat Darian King at 4.30 with Unibet

I trust in Roy again, this is a guy who will climb the rankings, he's good and deserves some credit for beating Donald Young. Darian King is hardly a better player than Donald Young and I'm not so sure if Darian is playing better right now than Donald does and even if he plays well Roy can beat anyone in the top 200-300 and he should estabilsh himself in the top 200 rather sooner than later.

Not fixed, mate, that was just a f*****g typical joke from the WTA. Gorges was playing excellent. She took the first set and was leading the second set 3-2 with one break over. She conceded the first Break Point in the sixth game of the second set and what happened there? Zvonareva broke her and Julia decided to quit from the match.
Vekic at least has won her match 2-0 but Gorges pissed me off a lot for how the match went..

@four-leaf Darien king did not impress me at all when I watched some of his match versus Petrovich I think you’re onto something there again. It seemed like it was more Petrovich that was just playing very poor and king looked a little bit out of shape if you ask me and his serve did not look nearly as potent as what Smith has

Also I know I’m spelling Petrovich his name wrong but I’m on mobile and I’m too lazy to change it

Edited by money44

@money44 I think Roy Smith is a rough diamond waiting to get polished, he seems to have a serve that makes wonders and he makes me think of Christopher Eubanks who has a big weapon in his serve. Roy could easily destroy Darian if Darian is caught with his guard down (bad serves, lack of footwork, UEs from left and right).

Let's hope this one works as well :hope

Vera Zvonareva to beat Daria Kasatkina at 2.14 with 888

Kasatkina saved the first round because Sharapova withdrew (Im almost sure that Sharapova would have won that match easily). She lost in the first round against Bacsinszky (6-3, 6-0) in the AO, against Sasnovich in Sydney in the first round (6-1, 6-4) and against Kimberly Birrell in Brisbane also in the first round (5-7, 6-4, 7-6). The last time that she won a match was in October against Qiang Wang so she’s now in a bad shape. Now she has to face another Russian player who will be very motivated after her comeback against Julia.

Aryna Sabalenka to beat Alison Van Uytvanck at 1.55 with betfair

Alison started the year with an injury in her first match in Auckland. She won in Hobart against Brengle (7-6, 7-5) but then lost in the next round against Schmiedlova (6-3, 6-2) and lost in the first round of the AO against Wozniacki (6-3, 6-4) so she has not started well this year. She has win against Flipkens (6-2, 6-4) in the first round here. Sabalenka started the year by the best way, winning in Shenzen. She won there against Tatjana Maria, Alexandrova, Sharapova, Yafan Wang and Riske. She lost in Sydney against the winner of the tournament: Kvitova and was surprised by Anisimova in the AO after her wins against Boulter and Kalinskaya.

On 30/01/2019 at 8:07 AM, CzechPunter said:

Dudi Sela to beat Pedro Martinez Portero at 1.67 with William Hill

I'm not sure how much damage Sela will be able to do on the main tour from now on, but it's clear that he still has what it takes to win some Challenger matches. Starting the season late, he won the doubles last week after losing against Majchrzak in three sets in the singles, which is a result that nobody can blame him for given how well that guy was playing against Nishikori. Portero doesn't look like a big threat to me and I'd have the odds at the 1.40 mark here.

Retired at 5-1 in the second omgggg

Yeah, picked the wrong bookie there :\.

Roy Smith (+4.5) to beat Darian King at 1.74 with Pinnacle

Following you guys in Cleveland, the handicap looks a touch high even given that this is indoors and that it shouldn't be too hard for Smith to hold serve. The outright win is certainly playable as well though, so good luck to us!

Vera Zvonareva to beat Darya Kasatkina at 2.12 with Unibet

Aryna Sabalenka to beat Ekateryna Alexandrova 2-0 at 1.86 with Unibet

Going against Kasatkina once again, she's still to get going and has no match practice going into this, while Zvonareva looked good in the second part of her previous match. It's mainly a bet against Kasatkina though. The other bet is very much for Sabalenka, on the other hand, as she's playing well again and and she's a level above Alexandrova in nearly every single respect. I didn't watch Alexandrova today, but she could've easily lost against Boulter in the previous round had Boulter not been such a headcase.

Donna Vekic to beat Petra Kvitova at 4.00 with bet365

I expect Petra to run out of steam here as she's playing for the fourth straight week and now on a different continent having to travel from Melbourne to St. Petersburg. Donna is not as forgiving as Vika was in the last round and she's defenitiely in decent form or whatever form you can expect from Donna to have nowadays and she's good enough to take advantage of any fatigue that Petra has. Same thing happened last season in St. Petersburg when Caroline Wozniacki came from Melbourne after winning AO as she won her first match but went out to Daria Kasatkina in the match after. Highly likely that Petra should start feeling some fatigue and finally get knocked out before the final of a tournament again after reaching two successive finals down under. Petra wins this match probably if she's 100% but chances are she's not gonna be 100% this time.

Donna Vekic (+4.5 Games) to beat Petra Kvitova at 1.98 with 888

I was preparing the explication for this one but there is no need to do it because four-leaf has done it in his post. The fatigue from Kvitova after a lot of matches played and the good form from Vekic are the main reasons.

I watched Alexandrova and she had some kind of problem/pain during the match. I don’t know what she had exactly but she and her coach looked a little bit worried. During the second set looks like their plan was “go on and if we lost the second set we retire” but even with that handicap she won in straight sets. If somebody else has seen the match and knows what she had exactly or can find some info about this would be good.

Edited by darko08

Dayana Yastremska to beat Garbine Muguruza at 1.95 with SportingBet

I'm a big fan of Ms. Yastremska, and she has deposed of her previous two opponents with relative ease. Obviously Muguruza will be somewhat more of a challenge than her two previous opponents, however, Yastremska beat Muguruza in Luxembourg last year in straight sets (6-2, 6-3) despite having to back up from her win in Hong Kong the previous week.