** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

L1, L2, and Scottish Predictions > Aug 2nd - 4th

league1odds.jpg

league2odds.jpg

scotsodds1.jpg

scotsodds2.jpg

The new Football League and Scottish League season begins this weekend. It's back to the weekly ritual of bacon sandwiches for breakfast, ridiculous accas at lunch-time, football game in the afternoon, and beers with the mates in the evening! Or whatever weekly traditions you have for the football! Check out the odds for the opening games above. It's usually tricky to get a right call in these first few matches but let's work together to improve our chances! Post your tips below! :ok

What do you think of Bradford against Cambridge? Bradford signed some decent players, especially for League Two level, didn't they? I suppose going straight back up would be the target for the season, while Cambridge are a mid-table team.

Is it worth backing the home victory?

there are some good games to dig into. i think stevenge are overpriced. salford are in the division and they are going to get tested. it's always narrowest of margins strength wise in this division and anyone can beat anyone and for me stevenage are worth backing

crewe had a good end of the season but plymouth will surely be ambitious this season and hoping to start the season well. it's difficult to side with any teams in this division but i am leaning on plymouth

I aggre for the overpriced teams too. 

Overpriced teams for me in league one is Bristol Rovers and Accrington Stanley.

And one more thing. Keep your eyes on Gillingham this year. Lost Eaves but remain powerfull for me.

Edited by THEODORE-007

Doncaster vs Gillingham

The 2019/20 League One season kicks off tomorrow and the one game catching my eye is between last season's promotion chasers Doncaster and perennial mediocrity side Gillingham in a 3pm kick-off at the Keepmoat Stadium. Both sides start this season with new managers at the helm so it'll be interesting to see how they perform in this opening match.

Doncaster came close to going up last season under Grant McCann. Rovers finished 6th but failed to reach the promised land of the Championship via the play-offs. McCann has moved on to pastures new after taking over at Hull. Former West Brom gaffer Darren Moore has been appointed his successor in a shrewd move where one attack-minded manager has been replaced with another. Donny have managed to keep the crux of their side from last season but losing striker John Marquis to Portsmouth is a big loss. Still, the additions of the likes of Madger Gomes from Alaves, Brad Halliday from Cambridge, and Reece James from Sunderland are decent. The triple loan signings of Ben Sheaf from Arsenal, Seny Dieng from QPR, and Cameron John from Wolves are also exciting.

Gillingham have appointed the controversial figure of Steve Evans as their manager for this upcoming season. There is no denying that with two promotions in the Football League and four promotions in non-league that Evans knows how to get results. However, his time spent at several clubs has been dogged by dressing room disharmony and bust-ups with players. It's a risk by Gills chairman Paul Scally  but after treading water in League One for six seasons it's easy to see why they are taking a punt on Evans. Squad depth and quality remains a problem. The loss of star striker Tom Eaves and goalkeeper Tomas Holy is huge. Are the replacements worthy? It may take time before we find out.

It's always tough to bet against an Evans side. They always seem to put up a fight. I just think the appointment of Moore is a wise one from Doncaster. The playing philosophy won't change much and the squad appears stronger on the whole than last season. They could arguably do with an extra striker. There's currently too much weight on Alfie May's shoulders. I think the home side may sneak this but it'll be close.

Doncaster to Win @ 2.00 with BetVictor

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.95 with Bet365

AFC Wimbledon vs Rotherham

AFC Wimbledon

Doubtful: 

Out (injuries/other): Anthony Wordsworth (37/2 m), Adam Roscrow (f, newcomer)

Suspended: 

(players stats are from the last season)

Rotherham

Doubtful: Trevor Clarke (m, newcomer)

Out (injuries/other): 

Suspended: 

Coventry City vs Southend Utd

Coventry City

Doubtful: Liam Kelly (30/0 m), Jamie Allen (m, newcomer)

Out (injuries/other): Gervane Kastaneer (m, newcomer), Tom Bayliss (38/3 m, left the club)

Suspended: 

Southend Utd

Doubtful: Joe Shaughnessy (m, newcomer), Liam Ridgewell (d, newcomer)

Out (injuries/other): Rob Kiernan (10/1 d), Simon Cox (45/15 f, top scorer), Timothee Dieng (43/3 d)

Suspended: 

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Newport County vs Mansfield

League Two is certain to be a closely contested division this season with big teams coming down, strong teams coming up, and a wealth of potential dark horses waiting to build on last season. My focus here is a clash between two play-off sides from last season when Newport County play Mansfield in a 3pm kick-off on Saturday afternoon at Rodney Parade. The two sides drew 1-1 in this fixture in the first leg of their play-off semi-final back in May.

Newport County have undergone a summer of changes. Michael Flynn remains in charge at the South Wales club but they've lost key players such as goalkeeper Joe Day and full back Dan Butler are big blows. However, the arrivals of Tom King, Daniel Leadbitter, Lazar Stojsavljevic, Kyle Howkins, and Tristan Abrahams leave them in a much stronger position than last term.

Mansfield will be wondering how they're still in League Two after the way their season ended. Narrowly missing out on automatic promotion and then play-off failure. How do David Flitcroft's men recover from such a gut-wrenching experience? Their squad from last season remains largely in tact with the additions of Andy Cook, Aiden Stone, Nicky Maynard, Dion Donohue, and Kellan Gordon making them a much more complete outfit this time around.

This is being touted as a potential early indicator of how well-equipped these two sides are for promotion. You would be a fool to rule either out. They couldn't be separated in open play over the two play-off games and they've adopted a similar approach to each other during the summer with transfer activity. It's almost impossible to separate these sides on paper so I have to back a draw. 0-0 or 1-1 seems a fair shout. I'd be surprised if these two weren't competing for the play-offs at the very least come May.

Draw @ 3.60 with Bet365

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.73 with BetVictor

Yeeehaaa, fitba's back

Hibernian v St Mirren.

Close season has seen a lot of transfer activity in sunny Leith with a number of players leaving the club and half a team of newcomers arriving. Pre season has been decent, coming through the League Cup group with ease while rotating the squad and looking stronger with each passing game. Looking at the squad as a whole I think we look stronger than last season and with 1 or 2 more additions before the transfer window closes, I think we'll be challenging for 3rd/ 4th place. There's chat online about St Mirren struggling to put a full team together today, I also think they're relegation candidates this season. This looks a straight forward home win for the Hibees and I think they'll do it comfortably.

Hibs @ 1.47 - 3 pts.

Hibs -1 @ 2.37 - 0.5 pts.

Just one from me today:

Coventry v Southend (average price at time of writing 2.16)

There is no way this would be at over evens if Coventry were not having to play down the Road at Birmingham's St.Andrews as from a purely footballing perspective they should be at much lower odds considering:

a) They have signed 11 players in close season. 7/8 of them have genuine experience and pedigree at this level and as such their is a bit of a buzz around the place after several years of 'issues'.

b) In comparison cash strapped Southend were going public all close season about how they need a couple of defenders still (they signed an ageing Liam Ridgewell yesterday who is unlikely to be match fit) and hardly added to a squad that stayed up on the last day of last season after going into absolute freefall sincce Xmas.

Probably the only genuine 'value' in the English lower leagues this weekend if it keeps the happy side of 2.00's.

I also took Exeter at 2.05 yesterday to beat Macclesfield...but those odds have dropped to an average 1.80, which still might appeal to some, but would be the wrong side of value for me now.

Edited by footy4cast
chnages

I have a fancy for Peterborough, always a team that could score goals over recent seasons just lacking one or two additions. George Boyd coming back is a big plus and I fancy them to go well. Opening game is at home to Fleetwood and I fancy them to get off to a good start.

Burton vs Ipswich is an interesting game. Ipswich will be favourites to bounce back to the Championship and will have to much firepower for this division, that said Burton will proved a tough test at home and with the likes of  Boyce and Adkins and a few good additions I fancy it to be an open game today and will go for both teams to score.

Random punt of the day is for Cheltenham to get something away to Leyton Orient, decent odds the draw or the win. While Orient stormed to promotion and should win on paper Cheltenham have a couple of experienced strikers in Varney and Reid and I expect them to capitalise against a forward looking orient. 

Good luck everyone

3 hours ago, mijOsim said:

Mates what about Salford today ? According to bookies they are promotion candidates this year. Can they start campain with the win ?

I've chucked a few quid on a draw just before half-time. Hard to call. I was tempted to back the home win but it's a difficult one on the opening day.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, allyhibs said:

Yeeehaaa, fitba's back

Hibernian v St Mirren.

Close season has seen a lot of transfer activity in sunny Leith with a number of players leaving the club and half a team of newcomers arriving. Pre season has been decent, coming through the League Cup group with ease while rotating the squad and looking stronger with each passing game. Looking at the squad as a whole I think we look stronger than last season and with 1 or 2 more additions before the transfer window closes, I think we'll be challenging for 3rd/ 4th place. There's chat online about St Mirren struggling to put a full team together today, I also think they're relegation candidates this season. This looks a straight forward home win for the Hibees and I think they'll do it comfortably.

Hibs @ 1.47 - 3 pts.

Hibs -1 @ 2.37 - 0.5 pts.

Solid enough start to the season, could easily have been 3 or 4 nil, hit the post twice, goal ruled out wrongly for offside when the player was clearly a couple of yards onside and a candidate for miss of the season already.

Always good to get profit in the bank early.