Royal Ascot Day 1 - Tuesday 20th June

There are many good match ups at this years meeting none more so than in the opening race between Modern Games and Inspiral.With the Charlie Appleby horses back in form this looks an ideal spot for their Modern Games to follow up his impressive Lockinge Stakes victory at Newbury last month when he had several of these behind him. His main danger will surely be the Gosden filly Inspiral who goes well fresh and can push Modern Games all the way. The other Appleby runner Native Trail looks booked for third place.

MODERN GAMES 2 points win @ 2/1 William Hills

Asadna had the time guru’s purring with his sectionals when winning at Ripon on his racecourse debut and can go well along with favourite River Tiber who is a typical Aidan O’Brien juvenile. At bigger odds however I’ll take a chance with the Archie Watson trained Army Ethos who looks a horse with a future when an easy winner under Holly Doyle at Ayr on his debut. That form doesn’t amount to much but subsequent gallop reports suggest that he may be up there with the likes of last year’s winner Bradsell for the same connections.

ARMY ETHOS 1 point each way @16/1 bet365 1/5th 12345

A cracking renewal of the Kings Stand Stakes where we have a match up between the best sprinter over here in the mare Highfield Princess and one of the best from Australia in Coolangotta. It should be a decent battle between them with the likes of Dramatised also in with a shout. My preference though has to be Highfield Princess who was the best around last time winning three Group One’s before not getting the run of the race at the Breeders Cup.

HIGHFIELD PRINCESS 1 point win @ 5/2 bet365

I don’t fancy Cicero’s Gift who, despite having plenty of promise, has a staggering 27lb to find with the top rated Chaldean. This may week turn out to be a battle between the English 2000 Guineas winner Chaldean and Irish 2000 Guineas winner Paddington. It’ll be close but using Hi Royal as a form line it just seays things in the favour of Aidan O’Brien’s Paddington.

PADDINGTON 1 point win @ 5/2 William Hill

This race revolves around Willie Mullin’s runner up from last year Bring On The Night who is only 3lb higher than when running Coltrane to 3/4L then. That horse is now 19lb higher and pushing for favouritism in the Gold cup later in the week. He’s not been seen since but with Ryan Moore booked and with Mullins having such a good record in this race of four winners from the last ten years as well as three runners up looks the the one to beat despite his skinny enough odds.
Law Of The Sea will appreciate a return to further here and can make the frame along with Ahorsewithnoname and were the ground to soften Zinc White becomes a major player.

BRING ON THE NIGHT 1 point win @ 85/40 BetVictor

There’s only 7lb officially between the sixteen runners and racing around a bend there’s going to be some hard luck stories for sure. Current favourite looks poor value to me as a horse who’s only won one of his ten starts and is officially rated in the bottom three of the entire field. Francesco Clemente looked wayward coming round the bend at Goodwood which probably cost him the race and he is preferred of the Gosden pair.
It would be no surprise to see William Knight’s Checkandchallenge run well as this represents a drop in class whilst back on better ground Poker Face can show his soft ground Chester run to be all wrong. A tough race.

POKER FACE 1 point each way @ 12-1 bet365 

Willie Mullin’s Vauban can give the Closutton maestro a winning first day handicap double (after Bring On The Night in the Ascot Stakes) by taking the 1m 6F Copper Horse Handicap. He’s rated (and deservedly so) 160 over sticks where he’s not far off the third best hurdler around but can race back on the level here off of 101 which makes him look chucked in. He’ll be hard to beat with Ryan Moore doing the steering. The best each way value may lie with Roger Varian’s Postileo although he will have to overcome the widest draw of all.

VAUBAN 2 points win @ 15/8 BetVictor

1 minute ago, LEE-GRAYS said:

Going for chindit get is 🦷 in front

IMG_2241.png

Do they have to declare a muzzle?

Cracking racing, don't think I'll be betting much, but a guy on twitter napped Chillingham (22/1) in the Copper Horse so I'm playing each way on that one, will see if anyone is doing 6 places tomorrow, but Mullins seems pretty confident the fav is going to do the business.

305 Coventry stakes 

Asadna 9.0.4.3

River tiber   8.8 2.96 

Bobsleigh  8.3 20/1 

Top 2 have a lot going for them ...Will be difficult to beat ....ew value in bobsleigh if you could get 5 places or more 😉 

Kings stand 340 

Highfield princess   9.2 3.65 

Mannacan   8.9  8.2 

Equilateral   8.3 60.0

Dramatised   8.2 

Twilight calls  8.2 

Top 2 again look particularly strong ...fly in the ointment could be coolnagatta but he will have to be some horse  On turf to beat top 2 here I think ....

Low prices overall ....so I'll take a risk and go 10pt doubles on top 2 both races ....and hope asadna and mannacan win ....woukd be nice return 

Monday..........I like the first 4 selections in The Brigadier's interesting and informative write up, so will back those 👍💷...........

Army Ethos 20/1 EW    2nd  18.75 pts             Paddington   Won   81.25 pts

then add few of my own, and see how i stand on days balance, before having EW selections on 5.00  ( 6 places betfair ) and the 6.10  ( 5 places betfair).....

R. Moore top 3 place offer acca @ 9/4 ......River tiber / Paddington / Bring on the night / Vauban 

ascot 2.30   Light Infantry  20/1 EW        3rd   18.75 pts 

ascot 3.05   Asadna   10/3

ascot 3.05  Haatem 18/1 EW   betfair (4 places)  & Ascot 3.40 Twilight Gleaming  20/1 EW ( 4places )    ........2 ew singles & 1 ew double 

ascot 3.40  Coolangatta  4/1 

ascot 4.20   Ciceros Gift   9/1 EW  &  Mostabshir  11/1 EW 

ascot 5.00   Ahorsewithnoname   9/1 EW   6 places   Won   48 pts      &       Zoffee   14/1 EW     6 places   &     Zinc White   12/1 EW    6 places

Ascot 5.00  1.5pts EW on East Asia 100/1 betfair 6 places..........😲 £3 refunded NR

ascot 5.35    King of Conquest  10/1 EW   4 places    &   Checkandchallenge    28/1 EW     4 places

ascot 6.10    Chillingham 10/1 EW   5 places    4th   12 pts     &    Postileo   14/1 EW   5 places    

2 wins 🏆 🏆 and  3 EW places 👍💷

Edited by Brahmin

The big handicap on the opening day of Royal Ascot is the Ascot Stakes.

This heritage handicap is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run over 2 miles, 3 furlongs and 210 yards. The off time is 17.00.

20 go to post and with many bookmakers offering 6 places it makes it an excellent betting proposition.

I have looked at the statistics over the last 9 years and these are my key conclusions.

Older horses have by far the best record with 7- to 9-year-olds having 6 wins from 44 runs and a profit of 127 points at Betfair Starting Price. The remainder have just 3 wins from 127 runs with a loss of 79 points.

It is best to side against those horses with obvious form. Horses that finished in the 1st 6 last time have recorded 4 wins from 123 runs with a loss of 74 points.

Ideally the horse should have had a reasonable rest from its last race. Horses that last ran between 37 and 94 days ago have a record of 7 wins from 76 runs with a profit of 123 points.

Only 1 horse matches these criteria.

EAST ASIA 100/1

I suggest backing this each way with bookmakers offering 6 places.

12 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

This heritage handicap is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run over 2 miles, 3 furlongs and 210 yards. The off time is 17.00.

20 go to post and with many bookmakers offering 6 places it makes it an excellent betting proposition.

I have looked at the statistics over the last 9 years and these are my key conclusions.

Older horses have by far the best record with 7- to 9-year-olds having 6 wins from 44 runs and a profit of 127 points at Betfair Starting Price. The remainder have just 3 wins from 127 runs with a loss of 79 points.

It is best to side against those horses with obvious form. Horses that finished in the 1st 6 last time have recorded 4 wins from 123 runs with a loss of 74 points.

Ideally the horse should have had a reasonable rest from its last race. Horses that last ran between 37 and 94 days ago have a record of 7 wins from 76 runs with a profit of 123 points.

EAST ASIA 100/1

Love this pick, don't think they've been trying very hard with it recently. Skybet going 7 places but only 66/1 so taken some 100/1 e/w top 6.

29 minutes ago, yossa6133 said:

Love this pick, don't think they've been trying very hard with it recently. Skybet going 7 places but only 66/1 so taken some 100/1 e/w top 6.

Always scratch my head a bit when I end up with the outsider in the field but the stats have worked for me over the years so you have to keep the faith

52 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

Always scratch my head a bit when I end up with the outsider in the field but the stats have worked for me over the years so you have to keep the faith

I was banging on about this horse a while back saw it come second to manobo in dubai G3 at 66/1 in a rocket time with enemy back in 4th. and it couldn't even beat a bunch of moderate horses, hope he has a good excuse if it wins this, personally i don't think it stays this far but we shall see, like you say tho you have to stick with what your stats say, no use moaning if it wins and you don't back it. Williams has a great record in these distance races, Zinc white beat novel legend lto and i fancy that (nl) for the Northumberland plate so its going to be interesting.

Top 3 rated in the 4 races I’ve looked though at Ascot 

1 Highland Princess 2/1 2nd 

2 Manaccan 9/2 nr

3 Dramatised 6/1

1 Law Of The Sea 17/2 4th 

2 Calling The Wind 17/2 2nd 

3 Bring On The Night 9/4

1 Solid Stone 11/1

2 Bolshoi Ballet 7/1 2nd

3 Buckaroo  6/1 3rd / King Of Conquest 15/2

1 Get Shirty 28/1

2 Berkshire Rocco 18/1

3 Vauban 7/4 

Edited by Villa Chris
Results so far

Have written my picks down but with 3/4 hours of very heavy rains from around 5-8am forecast I'll wait & see if the going changes & or for b.o.g . prices but will take a chance on 

340 DRAMATISED 7/1 E/WAY bet365 ( 5 ) 

500 NOVEL LEGEND 10/1 E/WAY bet365 ( 6 )

will price in morning , good luck to all .

10mm of rain overnight & changed to good / good to firm on the round course so not much change really .

Edited by calva decoy

Just going to bang my jumps selection in this thread instead of creating another thread void race 

Stratford 4.30 

Too Friendly 9.45 11/4

Pisgah Pike 9.4 22/1

Jamacho 9.17 15/2

Oakley 9.13 8/1

For Pleasure 9.13 7/2

Good race this and most of the 9 runners have a good shout . Top two very close and bit in front of others . Too Friendly won lto this is stronger and he’s up 6Ibs but he’s still capable . Pisgah is a ridiculous price for what’s he achieved in better races .Bad run lto but that was first run after break. Don’t know how to approach this as don’t really want to play both of them. 

Edited by Villa Chris
Void race

2 hours ago, Fader said:

Day 1 preview of Royal Ascot from our very own @The Brigadier and @Darran 

Very enjoyable.

Would be great if you two guys did this for Saturday race day with a guest from the racing forum getting a few minutes to give there thought's & best bets for the day ahead  could be a different person each week The likes of Richard, Mclarke, Zilzalian & Chris etc.

9 hours ago, Tedthewolf said:

Very enjoyable.

Would be great if you two guys did this for Saturday race day with a guest from the racing forum getting a few minutes to give there thought's & best bets for the day ahead  could be a different person each week The likes of Richard, Mclarke, Zilzalian & Chris etc.

Liking that idea Ted 👌

I’ve had some small stakes fun bets today wether they win or lose won’t go on my jumps racing P/L

Inspiral 2.30 Chaldean 4.20 7/1 double 2 points 

0.50 points Ew treble 

Calling The Wind 5.00/ Bolshoi Ballet 5.35/ Berkshire Rocco 6.10 Win returns 546.17 place returns 11.80 

0.50 points Ew treble 

Law Of The Sea 5.00/ Solid Stone 5.35/ Get Shirty 6.10 Win returns 1290. 96 place returns 23.46 

15 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Just going to bang my jumps selection in this thread instead of creating another thread 

Stratford 4.30 

Too Friendly 9.45 11/4

Pisgah Pike 9.4 22/1

Jamacho 9.17 15/2

Oakley 9.13 8/1

For Pleasure 9.13 7/2

Good race this and most of the 9 runners have a good shout . Top two very close and bit in front of others . Too Friendly won lto this is stronger and he’s up 6Ibs but he’s still capable . Pisgah is a ridiculous price for what’s he achieved in better races .Bad run lto but that was first run after break. Don’t know how to approach this as don’t really want to play both of them. 

Top rated will be the bet at 10/3 bog 

5 points win 

I like the look of The Berkshire EW double 

Berkshire Shadow 22/1 2.30 / Berkshire Rocco 16/1 6.10 . 0.50 ew double win bet 206.84 place bet 11.34 

That will do me today 5 points invested plus 3 points on the lucky 15 competition += 8 points for the day . Hopefully this rain carries on so I can make it back in time to watch first couple .

23 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

EAST ASIA 100/1

Non-runner now☹️☹️

The rain is horrendous here up north.

2.30 Inspiral 3/1

3.40 Highfield Princess 2/1

4.20 Padington 5/2

5.35 Francesco Clemente 7/2

1 x 0.20 w L 15 = poss ret 98.50 + 0.50 win acca poss ret 94.50 = 3.50 pts staked

3.40 Asc Annaf 0.25 ew at 100/1 6p

5.00 Asc Calling the win 0.50 win at 15/2 + Ahorsewithnoname 0.50 win at 17/2

6.10 Asc Postilea 0.50 ew at 12/1 5 p

6 points staked today

Edited by The Equaliser

15 hours ago, Tedthewolf said:

Very enjoyable.

every chance of that, Ted. We want to get much more video content out there.

Anybody that is happy to do something like this in terms of joining a zoom meeting for a "race" day or meeting or a big event please do let me know so that we can plan for something like that. 

4 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

I like the look of The Berkshire EW double 

Berkshire Shadow 22/1 2.30 / Berkshire Rocco 16/1 6.10 . 0.50 ew double win bet 206.84 place bet 11.34 

That will do me today 5 points invested plus 3 points on the lucky 15 competition += 8 points for the day . Hopefully this rain carries on so I can make it back in time to watch first couple .

as a big Oisin fan, I've also had a little e/w double on these two.