** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Pricing your own race

6 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

I wanted to tackle a large hcap just for the fun of it and found this race tomorrow   (tues) Exeter 245 hurdle

Here's Herbie  8.8  8/1  10/1  good value 

Sexy lot  7.3  10/1  9/2  poor value

Stage summit  7.2  10/1  14/1 good value 

Majestic merlin 6.6 11/1 6/1 poor value 

Mille sussuri  6.0  13/1 17/2 poor value 

Only 1 bookie priced up at moment but 2 ew value bets currently in stage summit and heres Herbie....I'll wait to see if bigger prices come online later else I'll go ew on both 

Heres Herbie 14/1 betvic ....stage summit 16/1....both ew tomorrow 

22 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

740 wolv monday 

Visibility   7.6   7/1   avail 9/2 novalue

Corked   7.6  7/1 avail 12/1  good value

Final attack  6.6   15/1  10/1 no value

Crit thinking 6.3  15/1  7/1 no value 

Stand out value bet ...corked ew at 12/1 will hill 

Corked none runner ...3 non runners in 1 race ...unusual for all weather 

But that brings final attack into the picture 14/1 5 places with bet365 is the bet 

Edited by richard-westwood

On 1/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, richard-westwood said:

I wanted to tackle a large hcap just for the fun of it and found this race tomorrow   (tues) Exeter 245 hurdle

Here's Herbie  8.8  8/1  10/1  good value 

Sexy lot  7.3  10/1  9/2  poor value

Stage summit  7.2  10/1  14/1 good value 

Majestic merlin 6.6 11/1 6/1 poor value 

Mille sussuri  6.0  13/1 17/2 poor value 

Only 1 bookie priced up at moment but 2 ew value bets currently in stage summit and heres Herbie....I'll wait to see if bigger prices come online later else I'll go ew on both 

Well Richard, complete difference of opinion on the two selections by the bookies - Here's Herbie has been smashed into as short as 6/1, whereas Stage Summit is currently as big as 40/1..

4.40 Sou

Top Rated 

Centurian Song 8
Gossip 8 
Duke of Firenze and Red Stripes 6

Value (bet365)

10/1 Gossip ( my price 9/2) ..... looks the value bet but his points have been gained in class 6 races to he's up in class

Old timers, Duke of Firenze and Red Stripes are both 12/1 (my price 15/2) so not great value but could be EW punts with the dead 8 runners

probably a race to leave alone though unless you want to take the Top Rated and Favourite, Centurian Song at 15/8 ........ he might win this by default as most of the other are either aging, class 6 types or want further than this 5 furlongs

Just now, Trotter said:

4.40 Sou

Top Rated 

Centurian Song 8
Gossip 8 
Duke of Firenze and Red Stripes 6

Value (bet365)

10/1 Gossip ( my price 9/2) ..... looks the value bet but his points have been gained in class 6 races to he's up in class

Old timers, Duke of Firenze and Red Stripes are both 12/1 (my price 15/2) so not great value but could be EW punts with the dead 8 runners

probably a race to leave alone though unless you want to take the Top Rated and Favourite, Centurian Song at 15/8 ........ he might win this by default as most of the other are either aging, class 6 types or want further than this 5 furlongs

Personally I quite like the chances of You're Cool. Won last time out at Wolves so clearly in good heart, has form at Southwell off higher marks (3rd off 75 last year) and has a top claimer up. Think he's currently around 7/1. Fantasy Keeper shouldn't be far away either but is short enough at around 3/1.

3 minutes ago, DanV89 said:

Personally I quite like the chances of You're Cool. Won last time out at Wolves so clearly in good heart, has form at Southwell off higher marks (3rd off 75 last year) and has a top claimer up. Think he's currently around 7/1. Fantasy Keeper shouldn't be far away either but is short enough at around 3/1.

I have You're Cool as an 8/1 chance on the figures so the bookies have him about right. I also have Fantasy Keeper at 8/1 so doesn't look 'value' at 3/1 ....... although of course he doesn't know that!

I guess that's the problem with these threads where you're putting up selections based on ratings and/or value ..... it doesn't take account of subjective factors which good old fashioned form study is all about

This is more a case of 'the computer say NO'

?

3 hours ago, DanV89 said:

Fantasy Keeper wins and drifted nicely to 5/1

4 hours ago, Trotter said:

I guess that's the problem with these threads where you're putting up selections based on ratings and/or value ..... it doesn't take account of subjective factors which good old fashioned form study is all about

It's not just subjective factors, there are hundreds of variables that affect the result of a race and we are only using a handful in our analysis. The danger is that we think our selection is value but it may because we haven't accounted for these other variables, your example of horses moving up in class is a good example.