Pricing your own race

44 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

It's not just subjective factors, there are hundreds of variables that affect the result of a race and we are only using a handful in our analysis. The danger is that we think our selection is value but it may because we haven't accounted for these other variables, your example of horses moving up in class is a good example.

Beauty of it is ....if you want to account for that you can......yiu do  as much or as little as you feel comfortable with ...the formula can account for a dozen diff ratings easily ......I'm trying to make my rated races as close as I possibly can .....I'm using recent form .....form rating (which encompasses weight speed and class )....distance form   ground form and handicap ...that's a big portion of what makes a horse "win" .....I'm overwhelmed tbh how well its picking value bets given the low class of racing.....I think if Cheltenham goes ahead the differences at the top level are much greater and it will really come into it's own....I think it will find some seriously good bets especially in the big hcaps ....its very exciting 

14 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

Beauty of it is ....if you want to account for that you can......yiu do  as much or as little as you feel comfortable with ...the formula can account for a dozen diff ratings easily ......I'm trying to make my rated races as close as I possibly can .....I'm using recent form .....form rating (which encompasses weight speed and class )....distance form   ground form and handicap ...that's a big portion of what makes a horse "win" .....I'm overwhelmed tbh how well its picking value bets given the low class of racing.....I think if Cheltenham goes ahead the differences at the top level are much greater and it will really come into it's own....I think it will find some seriously good bets especially in the big hcaps ....its very exciting 

I'm doing the ratings but also still watching videos to see what horse is like and using some system analysis knowledge for my picks... Hopefully picking up some more variables. Off today so hopefully post some winners later or placers lol. May have a crack at some more longer distance at some point.... Anyone any tips on how much to devote to each area for longer races. Distance over form... Fitness come.into it more?

Edited by Wildgarden

If I stick to my type of race there's not much for me today ...... all aged, all weather handicaps of class 5 and above. The only two races have got 3 and 5 runners which makes for an interesting different scenario

Sou 4.30 - 3 runners

Ratings 

Wrath of Hector 6
Delph Crescent 4
Vive La Difference 1

Value (current bet365 prices)
11/8 Delph - my odds 7/4
13/8 Wrath - my odds 5/6
11/4 Vive - My odds 10/1

Delph Crescent is the current favourite and both the other two look value against him

Sou 5.30 - only 5 runner

Ratings

Requinto Dawn 11
Zylan 7
Zapper Cass 6
Young John 3 
Alminoor 3

Value (current bet365 odds)

10/3 Requinto Dawn - my odds 7/4
7/2 Zylan - my odds 10/3
9/1 Zapper Cass - my odds 4/1
5/2 Young John - my odds 9/1
3/1 Alminoor - my odds 9/1

I had a 9/1 win on Requinto Dawn 3 days ago ..... can he go in again?. My odds suggest he's value today against the two market leaders who appear at the bottom of my ratings

Looking only at the ratings/value you'd have to go

Requinto Dawn - Win
Zapper Cass - EW (providing no NRs)

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Sou 5.30 - only 5 runner

Ratings

Requinto Dawn 11
Zylan 7
Zapper Cass 6
Young John 3 
Alminoor 3

Value (current bet365 odds)

10/3 Requinto Dawn - my odds 7/4
7/2 Zylan - my odds 10/3
9/1 Zapper Cass - my odds 4/1
5/2 Young John - my odds 9/1
3/1 Alminoor - my odds 9/1

I had a 9/1 win on Requinto Dawn 3 days ago ..... can he go in again?. My odds suggest he's value today against the two market leaders who appear at the bottom of my ratings

Looking only at the ratings/value you'd have to go

Requinto Dawn - Win
Zapper Cass - EW (providing no NRs)

Had exactly the same.

1 hour ago, richard-westwood said:

730 south

Archimedes  8.1 11/2  5/1 no value

Dark side prince  7.6 6/1 4/1 no value 

Arcavello   7.0 13/2 8.8 value

Brandy station 6.8 15/2 6/1 no value 

Arcavello 8.8 betfair  2.68 place looks the value bet 

Almost pipped at the last second 2nd .... beaten by dark side 

Edited by richard-westwood

Hi all, just started wrestling with Richards spreadsheet!

One question I can't answer myself is how do you rate a horse whose mark is dropping like a stone? There was one today that last won off 93 and has now dropped to 67 and came 7th of 8. What points should I have alloted to it?

Any assistance/opinions gratefully received.

Thinking about it, it was 7th in my ratings so maybe I don't need to do anything different.

Hi All

I've just rated the 18.45 Chelmsford tomorrow.

Channel Packet  Rating  9.0    6/1 available at Bet 365. My odds 4/1

Weloof                Rating  6.3    13/2 available                 My odds 6/1

Casina Di Notte  Rating  5.4    8/1 available                   My odds 7/1

My first try so don't follow!

Bookies fav Win Win Power Rated 4.3, My odds 9/1!

Edit: Win Win has not won yet so ratings a bit skewed. Has Hammer Hansen aboard so gets 3lb as well.

Edited by Pirate53
Added info.

54 minutes ago, Pirate53 said:

Hi all, just started wrestling with Richards spreadsheet!

One question I can't answer myself is how do you rate a horse whose mark is dropping like a stone? There was one today that last won off 93 and has now dropped to 67 and came 7th of 8. What points should I have alloted to it?

Any assistance/opinions gratefully received.

Thinking about it, it was 7th in my ratings so maybe I don't need to do anything different.

Interesting dilemma because in a few cases the horse will fall to a level that suddenly causes a revival but generally you normally get a sign that is going to happen ........on my sheet that horse could be rated 20 % x10 ..2.0 for hcap but might have a very low 30x2 ...0.6 score for recent form total ...2.6 overall for the 2 sections out of a possible 5.0........the way I tend to tackle it is I look at recent form...so if a horse won off 90 18 months ago but is now 75 then it's pretty obvious the horse is on the downgrade....but if he suddenly finishes 3rd I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say well if he can finish 3rd off 75 ....then maybe if he carried 72 ?...he could have won....then look at today's o.r and if he is carrying 73 ...that's 1lb over so I'd rate him based on that .....its never far off tbh and it works well for me 

5 minutes ago, Pirate53 said:

Hi All

I've just rated the 18.45 Chelmsford tomorrow.

My first try so don't follow!

Bookies fav Win Win Power Rated 4.3, My odds 9/1!

Just have a go ....if you find something doesnt work ....change the percentages to see if that helps .....or try diff criteria to each section ....its your own baby so have fun with it ?

Added a weighting to compensate re Win Win Power as above. New ratings:

Win Win Power  Rating   6.7    4/1 available                   My odds 11/2  Still no value here.

I've also done the 6.45 at Chelmsford to see how we compare

My top rated are ........

8 Dutugamunu
7 Channel Packet
4 Zefferino

The only horse that is a much different price to my odds is the rank outsider, Cheat at 50/1. I make him a 15/1 shot ....... but he's difficult to fancy !

The two market leaders are my top two rated and the bookies odds are within a point of mine, so nothing there for value

all the others except Cheat are shorter odds than my estimates

The top two rated are the market leaders and the bookies prices agree with mine

30 minutes ago, Wildgarden said:

Should be posting tomorrow either here or the racing chat. Too busy in work to post all time but had society red and Fred winners today from my ratings from 8 picks.

Me too but im off for next 5 days so I'll post loads races in the morning ....some good races tomorrow hopefully 

20 hours ago, Pirate53 said:

Added a weighting to compensate re Win Win Power as above. New ratings:

Win Win Power  Rating   6.7    4/1 available                   My odds 11/2  Still no value here.

Weloof clearly went out way to far at 17.5 to come back in. Watching these as day goes on can help form some value imo.

150 ascot 

Paddysmoterbike 8.0 17/2 6/1 no val

Craigniche 8.0 9.5 /1 8/1 no value 

Dan's le vent  8.0 17/2  18.5 good value 

War lord  8.0 17/2  19.0  goid value 

Kateson 7.4 9.5 5/1 13/2 no value 

Light squeeze 7.4 9.5 11/2 no value 

Value bets Dan's le vent 5pt win 18.5 5pt place 4.6 betfair 

War lord 5pt win 19.0 ..5pt place 4.9 betfair