** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Pricing your own race

1 hour ago, richard-westwood said:

650 kemp I have 2 horses showing as value......espresso freddy ...10/1 I can get 18/1 ....ew bet365 .......also family fortunes tissue 7/1 I can get 11.5 betfair ....10 pt win latter ...5pt ew espresso 

2nd and 3rd .....fantastic run especially on freddy 22/1!!!...ew .....they've run well today for sure 

13 hours ago, Trotter said:

1.25 Ling 

in current market order at bet365

3/1 Fav Intuitive - I make a 20/1 shot - poor
10/3 Corazon Esp - I make 13/5 - about right
4/1 Fox - I make 12/1 - poor
6/1 Papa - I make 12/1 - poor
15/2 Crownth - I make 4/1 - looks OK 
9/1 - Lord - I make 9/1 - about right
10/1 Moha - I make 20/1 - poor
20/1 Miss - I make 9/2 ! - EW ?

So I make the outsider the best for 'value' and possible EW shot though there are just the 8 runners so could be scuppered by a NR

Of the more fancied ones Crownthorpe the value for a Win bet

This race does point up a problem though in that two of the market leaders (Intuitive and Fox Power) are lightly raced types who haven't earned many points yet but have potential to be ahead of the handicapper. Obviously awarding points for what they have done up to now doesn't take account of this....... whereas if you were doing good old fashioned form study you would include an assessment of what the horse might be capable of as well as what it's already achieved. That's a problem with any points based system

On the other hand you might think it's an advantage only to rate a horse on what it's already done and take hype, trainer & jockey quotes, pundits opinions, big yard and big connections bias out of the equation.

edited .... got a mixed up with the odds on the two outsiders !

Maybe we could add so many points to a favourite or 2nd favourite without form due to fact they are backed.. say 40% like form would get. I am going to trial this as it clearly affected  few of mine on 2 races. Or no form could add points on according to horses odds percentage probably better.

Edited by Wildgarden

205 southwell close affair as odds and rating shows... My boy Lewis has fibresand debut, so going with headland which looks handy at 14-1 Ew (Ladbrokes) who has luke.morris on board today who might not push it so early as was last race!

Screenshot_20210117-085229.png

Edited by Wildgarden

8 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

Maybe we could add so many points to a favourite or 2nd favourite without form due to fact they are backed.. say 40% like form would get. I am going to trial this as it clearly affected  few of mine on 2 races. Or no form could add points on according to horses odds percentage probably better.

I'm not really keen on including 'market position' or forecast odds or actual odds in any rating system .... or in any of the trends type approach

I reckon the point of doing any sort of ratings or trends analysis is to discover which horse you think 'should' be favourite and hopefully it will be one that the market has missed and then you can get some value

If you're skewing your ratings towards the favourite by giving him extra points it seems to defeat the object

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

just to add ........ if you look at the race and there's a potential Frankel who doesn't earn any points because he's only run once but is 10/1 on and from the O'Brien yard ..... well, just move on to the next race and give that one a miss!

or concentrate on EW shots

Has certainly brought up Ew shots so far! Today we are going to win ?

You can see its definately finding value bets .......theres been quite a few races where I've looked at a horse and thought that looks decent only for the rating to say this 5/1 should be 10/1 and the horse has duly lost so its finding....good bets .....a lot will be ew but when they win in turn you'll do well ......if you put all the races weve done in a long list its impressive reading .....no way youd pick that many good bets ........think of it as our own version of price wise which effectively is what it is .....he didn't win every week but when you do win your profits shoot forward .......

I think trotter hit the nail......look at the race first.....if theres a much touted fav .....who's considered a massive improver etc ....probably best to just avoid the race .....really this should come into it's own in the big hcaps ....that's where pricewise had his big wins .....we are gonna get some serious winners.....its inevitable because the foundation is solid 

Sou 2.05

My EW selection (Headland) is a non runner ..... although with only 7 declared it didn't look like a good EW race

Of course that affects the total number of points so I've had to re-do the odds !

Top rated (now 6 runners, 2 places EW)

1 Amadeus Grey 11
2 Thrave 7
3 My Boy Lewis 6

Value

As it turns out the three top rated are the only three available at bigger odds than my estimates

Amadeus Grey is 9/4 (my odds 13/8)
Thrave is 11/2 (my odds 16/5)
My Boy Lewis is 13/2 ( my odds 4/1)

Bet365 prices

any of them look decent value according to me ..... whichever one you fancy

the reason for this is that the current 2nd and 3rd favourites (in a 6 runner race) are massive prices on my list which is distorting the market compared to my ratings

Sou 2.35 

Another small field - only 5 runners ...... possible EW race with 2 places. That's 2/5 places for EW which is 40% which is the biggest number for any size of field and theoretically makes EW betting in 5 runner races advantageous to the punter, particularly with quarter odds (though obviously a non runner would scupper your bet)

top rated

Notation 9
Mukha Magic 5

value

the horses available at bigger odds (bet 365) than my estimates are 

Arabian King 13/2 ( my odds 5/1)
Chipiron 7/1 (my odds 4/1)

There's nothing outstanding here

Take a punt on Chipiron EW 7/1 ....... only 2 places but quarter odds 

Sou 3.35 

Decent sized field for this one - nine runners so EW possibilities

top rated 

Requinto Dawn 10
Zylan 9
Equidae 6
Katheefa 6

value

horses available at bigger odds (bet365) than my estimates ...

Requinto Dawn 8/1 (my odds 4/1)
Shacka booha 20/1 (my odds 16/1)
Bellevarde 20/1 (my odds 19/2)

I suppose Requinto Dawn is the obvious Win selection 

Bellevarde EW

The one I fancy is Katheefa but the bookies have the odds about the same as my estimate (bet365 7/1, my odds 15/2) so I guess it doesn't count  as 'value'