GENERAL RACING CHIT CHAT

Anyone looking to follow a flat apprentice jockey over the next few months need to remember this name...

Benoit de la Sayette

Only 18 but already a star on the pony circuit and the fact is now under the tutelage of the legendary John Gosden tells you all you need to know

Has already from only 8 rides ridden three winners and his current 7lb claim is a licence to print money!

• 3 weeks later...

2.30 Catt Looked at this handicap by accident.  However only 6 runners but at least 4 of them could win it.  I would love to know how experts get a value price in handicaps when the horses are meant to cross the line together.  I used to think that 7/2 would be a value price but there are so many handicap races these days with very short price favourites that I am totally confused as to a good minimum price to take

3 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Yorkhill has been retired. Went out on a high. 

indeed

https://www.racingpost.com/news/he-was-good-but-he-was-quirky-popular-yorkhill-retired-after-eventful-career/472793

Cracking little horse  had a mind of its own but a real top horse  when he put all in. How the heck he went off 66/1  on last start i will never know but happy he did.

Thought there might have  been   another race in him on good ground its a shame he got injured  would have liked to have watched him run at cheltenham again  but  have a well earned retirement old boy. 

https://www.racingpost.com/news/insight/yorkhill-the-efforts-to-revitalise-an-enigma-wrapped-in-a-mystery/456455

Edited by Tedthewolf

So Cheltenham just around the corner Covid still in the air,  the logistics of getting all the horses  etc travelling over from Ireland the way the world is at present is going to messy at best. Hope all works out and we get all the good horses coming over in time and in good health with the least hassle and they give there true running.

8 minutes ago, Tedthewolf said:

So Cheltenham just around the corner Covid still in the air,  the logistics of getting all the horses  etc travelling over from Ireland the way the world is at present is going to messy at best. Hope all works out and we get all the good horses coming over in time and in good health with the least hassle and they give there true running.

I’m sure it will all go to plan. The world has and will definitely change because of coronavirus though. Hopefully next year fans can go to the Cheltenham festival . 

Well I read yesterday that another jockey had been suspended for taking cocaine, and it made me think of the drug and alcohol problems that some jockeys face. That made me think of Steve Perks, or pecker as I knew him as. He had an on/off thing with my mum for years. I was only 10-11 when I first met him but he was a character. His poison was alcohol and I vividly remember him drying out at our flat one week and he was very ill from the alcohol withdrawals.   My mum was an heavy drinker, too, so it was a bad combination. My mum to this day says he was a very good jockey. He rode horses for one of the local yards(Hollinghead) . My mum worked in a bookies, and now and again used to go race days whether it be horses or dogs. He eventually got sober and met someone else, but tragically died. Not sure if it’s as bad now , but apparently there was a big drinking culture among jockeys, and vodka was a good drink for them because it didn’t put weight on you. 

I used to work in Malton and there was often trouble in the local pubs due to jockeys fighting after getting drunk.

It got to the stage where there were signs outside pubs saying "no jockeys".

I'm not sure how you spot a jockey, I assume they don't wear their silks when they go out !

1 hour ago, MCLARKE said:

I used to work in Malton and there was often trouble in the local pubs due to jockeys fighting after getting drunk.

It got to the stage where there were signs outside pubs saying "no jockeys".

I'm not sure how you spot a jockey, I assume they don't wear their silks when they go out !

Yep, same in our town . You’d get them having a night out and and they were a right handful by all accounts . One of the landlords in town who is a big horse racing fan said you’d see one or two that wasted and you’d think they ain’t going to be much good tomorrow riding, then they would bolt up on a winner.  Can imagine being a jockey can be quite a lot of pressure sticking to your weight, a lot of travelling , crap pay for a lot of them etc .

Edited by Villa Chris

Interesting snippet.

I noticed that Dan Skelton claimed TWO horses out of the Opening sellers race at Taunton yesterday, for 6k a piece.

Dan Gun and Zero to Hero. Both horses have shown better form in ground other than heavy. Its not very often that you see trainers claiming horses ( used to be considered 'bad form'), but the fact Skelton has claimed 2, he must see something in them. He has a knack of improving horses, so I will be keeping an eye on these two, especially on Spring ground

only bet what you can afford to bet never chase money if you cannot afford to bet do not bet smokey malone 12.30 trainer says  this horse is a all weather machine says it as got a rolls Royce engine never stops going.in training says its a real work horse could pull a cart and win we need a bit of fun in these hard times and let's not be so serious and remember never let gambling become a problem 

9 hours ago, azzybear said:

only bet what you can afford to bet never chase money if you cannot afford to bet do not bet smokey malone 12.30 trainer says  this horse is a all weather machine says it as got a rolls Royce engine never stops going.in training says its a real work horse could pull a cart and win we need a bit of fun in these hard times and let's not be so serious and remember never let gambling become a problem 

I agree you should only bet what you can afford to bet. Also don't fall for nonsense comments like "could pull a cart and win" !

On 1/19/2021 at 8:57 PM, Striker said:

Anyone looking to follow a flat apprentice jockey over the next few months need to remember this name...

Benoit de la Sayette

Only 18 but already a star on the pony circuit and the fact is now under the tutelage of the legendary John Gosden tells you all you need to know

Has already from only 8 rides ridden three winners and his current 7lb claim is a licence to print money!

Lovely ride by Benoit to get his 3rd win on Hint Of Stars tonight

Like that he is not whip happy, its all about rhythm and balance. Though obviously he will make mistakes, take a look at his ride at Newcastle last Saturday on the odds on Pitcher's Point

As you do not go for home on that track so far from home, and he was on the wrong side. But he is learning his craft and be interested next time he rides that horse as totally unexposed on the turf

I was taken by the win today of Wetlands

Looks a lovely staying prospect despite still not the finished article and is in good hands.

Would imagine he will not be risked again this season with the spring ground coming, but definitely a horse to put in your tracker  

3 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

What’s peoples views on this photo being leaked of Gordon Elliot. Not sure how long ago it was but it won’t do him or horse racing any favours . The horse had dropped dead of heart attack on his gallops. 

Very bad image. I don't understand his explanation at all, it looks like a joke done in extremely poor taste. If I was an owner I wouldn't want my horses with him.

8 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

Very bad image. I don't understand his explanation at all, it looks like a joke done in extremely poor taste. If I was an owner I wouldn't want my horses with him.

Unfortunately for him I think he’s going to have to weather a proper shit storm. He’ll lose some good horses, and his reputation may never recover. Not long watched Mick Fitzgerald thoughts on it on ATR and he was nearly in tears about it. What a silly thing to do, and also tragic thing to do. 

Edited by Villa Chris

BHA have said owners can move their horses to other trainers and they can still run. Image is horrible and BHA want nothing to do with Elliott at Cheltenham this year. Whether a proper investigation can be carried out and dealt with by the IHRB before Cheltenham and who knows what the suitable punishment is for his stupidity. This from the BHA at least sets out their stool and buys everyone sometime.