** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

GENERAL RACING CHIT CHAT

7 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

Most definitely. Is there anyway of finding out weights in the uk/Ireland racing? 

I don't think so. Like I said I remember Brough Scott making a big thing of this . I am sure it was the 80's ( if memory serves).

He was showing the benefit of transparancy and info available to the punter. But it just died a death. I haven't heard anything or read anything about it for years.

Does anyone think there’s a difference in doing well over fences more so than hurdles ? I seem to do better over fences than hurdles . Is it just coincidence or does anyone else notice a trend in their betting where they do better at one kind of spear over the other. 

36 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

It's a good point.

I have separate systems for the flat compared to jumps but I tend to treat hurdles and chases together. 

Perhaps I should treat them differently.

Always assumed hurdles and fences should be treated the same, but I tend to do better over fences . Just wondered if there’s something in it, and other people find themselves doing better one over the other . Maybe it’s just coincidence. Not sure how you could rate either sphere differently tbf . Might leave them alone for the most part and concentrate more on the chases next season . 

On 3/24/2021 at 8:02 PM, Striker said:

Been watching closely the training career of Donnacha O'Brien who I think as his breeding suggests has a bright future ahead of him

Like that unlike his brother Joseph he is not interested in the jumping game or middle of the road handicappers, its all about quality and its telling that he had no runners from November till last week as he nurtures his yet to race 3 year old's especially .

Think we can expect some of them to turn out very nicely like the colt Shinsengumi, though I did think his Emporio looked a horse to follow this year after finishing all his three races in 2nd

Worth remembering though that his big race wins last season came with fillies, so watch out for Absolutely who they could not believe got beat on her debut and Igraine who gave me the impression she would be stronger this year same as Oh So Fine who is owned by the "lads"

Absolutely runs in a red hot maiden tomorrow at Leopardstown [2pm]

With stable still waiting for a winner a each way price looks assured, opened up at 14-1

I think with NH racing there is an added benefit of backing younger horses because they are not as well know as their older competitors so may well be under bet.

Having said that, it hasn't worked out very well for me so far this season.

6yos still have the best strike rate but it has fallen to 11.3% and the AE has been only 0.97.

An added complication is that a horse's birthday is the 1st January so it may well be worth having different criteria from January 1st onwards.

I’ve read somewhere that older horses are stronger than younger horses, which could help jump horses against their younger counterparts. Obviously there will be a cut off age where a horse is just too old . Once they hit 12 I get very itchy about backing them. I have no stats to back this up, but I  think that the gap between younger and older horses in jump racing is closer than the gap between younger and older horses in  flat racing . It seems logical to me that that’s the case but would be happy to be proven wrong. It would also help with ratings if it was true because I could apply different deductions  to flats and jumps regarding age .

Edited by Villa Chris

On 4/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, Striker said:

Impressive Win and the fact he did it on quicker ground than used to suggests some good races are to be targeted with this 6 year old

Wetlands goes for four in a row tomorrow at Ayr (4.10)

Already into 9-4 from 11-4

On 3/31/2021 at 5:03 PM, Striker said:

Great to see star apprentice Benoit de la Sayette win the big race last Saturday...not so good to see him featuring in a potentially damning video on social media where he attended a party [2019] where cocaine was taken by others

Though the kid was not involved in that activity it gave further proof what temptations are around for a young jockey, and if he is to fulfill the role that many say in that he will in the next couple of years become the new stable jockey for John Gosden then he might be wise to watch the company he keeps in his leisure time

Turns out Benoit told a little lie!

Such a shame that he now faces a long suspension but is with a stable who back their jockeys so he will hopefully learn from this this and is being mentored by Frankie

As Kevin Keegan once said "I would Love it".....

If Saffron Beach wins the 1,000 Guineas on Sunday!

As think her trainer Jane Chapple-Hyam is top class and deserves a top group horse to go to war with. One thing certain is this filly would be half her current odds if trained by Gosden/Godolphin etc

12-1?    ...yes please

The standing start after numerous false starts were a disgrace in the two big handicaps in Ireland today, with horses whipping around and others being hampered and left with a hopeless task

Its embarrassing and leaves punters with a nasty taste in the mouth when your money is lost before the first fence or hurdle is jumped