** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

GENERAL RACING CHIT CHAT

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

I agree with Calva .... I never watch any of the Cheltenham Previews

I'm not that bothered about what 'experts' think and I reckon if you watched all the previews on TV, YouTube and elsewhere you'd have 10 horses selected in every race

All these Cheltenham Previews are just nice little earners for the racing chattering classes

Used to enjoy watching them but not so much these days. Tbf some are quite good but I don’t think I’ve ever followed a tip from any of them.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:28 PM, Striker said:

I was taken by the win today of Wetlands

Looks a lovely staying prospect despite still not the finished article and is in good hands.

Would imagine he will not be risked again this season with the spring ground coming, but definitely a horse to put in your tracker  

Got a couple of entries on Saturday which I would imagine would be his last run of the current campaign 

Would probably go to Ayr as Brian Hughes would ride with the North getting behind him to retain his jockeys championship 

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching closely the training career of Donnacha O'Brien who I think as his breeding suggests has a bright future ahead of him

Like that unlike his brother Joseph he is not interested in the jumping game or middle of the road handicappers, its all about quality and its telling that he had no runners from November till last week as he nurtures his yet to race 3 year old's especially .

Think we can expect some of them to turn out very nicely like the colt Shinsengumi, though I did think his Emporio looked a horse to follow this year after finishing all his three races in 2nd

Worth remembering though that his big race wins last season came with fillies, so watch out for Absolutely who they could not believe got beat on her debut and Igraine who gave me the impression she would be stronger this year same as Oh So Fine who is owned by the "lads"

Snowy Burrows Declared for Thursday 25th March

Snowy at Sedgefield 
Our lovely mare Snowy Burrows is declared for the Sean Conway Racing Jumps And Flat Mares' Handicap Hurdle at Sedgefield on Thursday 25th March. The race is a Class 5 over 2m 3f 188y  and at the time of writing there are 12 runners.

We are delighted to have Champion Jockey, Brian Hughes riding for us and feel this is a huge feather in 4Racing's cap and can only thank Rebecca Menzies for securing his services for us.

This is the first time Snowy would have raced in a handicap and also on the ground and distance we feel she needs and as such we are trying to be competitive. Our advice, if you like a little flutter, is to have a small EW bet on her but try doing this on the day of the race. If there are too many early bets on her the bookies will slash the price and may also put Rebecca under investigation, which is the last thing we want to happen. 

Graham Arnold 
Founder & Partner

Great to see star apprentice Benoit de la Sayette win the big race last Saturday...not so good to see him featuring in a potentially damning video on social media where he attended a party [2019] where cocaine was taken by others

Though the kid was not involved in that activity it gave further proof what temptations are around for a young jockey, and if he is to fulfill the role that many say in that he will in the next couple of years become the new stable jockey for John Gosden then he might be wise to watch the company he keeps in his leisure time

On 2/27/2021 at 2:28 PM, Striker said:

I was taken by the win today of Wetlands

Looks a lovely staying prospect despite still not the finished article and is in good hands.

Would imagine he will not be risked again this season with the spring ground coming, but definitely a horse to put in your tracker  

Interesting that he is being "risked" on better ground tomorrow at Carlisle [2.48], but only even money

On 4/2/2021 at 5:29 PM, Striker said:

Interesting that he is being "risked" on better ground tomorrow at Carlisle [2.48], but only even money

Impressive Win and the fact he did it on quicker ground than used to suggests some good races are to be targeted with this 6 year old

Noticed that the 2 year old race at Bath today was 'Restricted to Horses in Band D'

I've had a look at what this means and it seems that the BHA have redesigned 2 year old maiden and novice races by implementing a 5 Band rating for races ....... and entry to each Band is restricted by the Auction value of the horse or the Median Auction value of the sire's progeny for horses not sold at public auction

The top band is Open ...... ie no restriction on entries

Then you have Bands A, B, C, D with descending value of horse

Horses who run above their sales band value get a weight allowance

The idea is to provide races which are only open to cheap horses so they don't have have to come up against a Frankel in a run of the mill maiden or novice race ..... and give such horses a better chance of winning a race

On 3/24/2021 at 8:02 PM, Striker said:

Been watching closely the training career of Donnacha O'Brien who I think as his breeding suggests has a bright future ahead of him

Like that unlike his brother Joseph he is not interested in the jumping game or middle of the road handicappers, its all about quality and its telling that he had no runners from November till last week as he nurtures his yet to race 3 year old's especially .

Think we can expect some of them to turn out very nicely like the colt Shinsengumi, though I did think his Emporio looked a horse to follow this year after finishing all his three races in 2nd

Worth remembering though that his big race wins last season came with fillies, so watch out for Absolutely who they could not believe got beat on her debut and Igraine who gave me the impression she would be stronger this year same as Oh So Fine who is owned by the "lads"

Emporio will be a warm order tomorrow [Gowran Park,5.05]...trading now at 7-4

12 hours ago, Striker said:

Went off at even money and only finished a disappointing  6th

Looked like he didn’t handle the undulating track, and probably more of a factor is the horse is crying out for a middle distance 

I backed the horse and I watched the race. First of all it absolutely needed that first run. It had a bigger belly on it than me!!

Surprising as it was backed throughout the day, though weak in the 30 minutes leading up to the race. 

Had I seen the horse before I backed it, I would have saved by powder for another day. I thought the jockey had it poorly placed, racing wide throughout and didn't quicken approaching the last. Maybe it needs further, but I did not think it was a fit horse.

38 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I backed the horse and I watched the race. First of all it absolutely needed that first run. It had a bigger belly on it than me!!

Surprising as it was backed throughout the day, though weak in the 30 minutes leading up to the race. 

Had I seen the horse before I backed it, I would have saved by powder for another day. I thought the jockey had it poorly placed, racing wide throughout and didn't quicken approaching the last. Maybe it needs further, but I did not think it was a fit horse.

Do you think the owners/trainer should be stating the horse is not fit and will need the run? I know some do say that the horse will probably need the run. 

10 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

Do you think the owners/trainer should be stating the horse is not fit and will need the run? I know some do say that the horse will probably need the run. 

Personally I think they should have the system they have in Singapore, Hong Kong and I think the U.S. The horses weight is declared and shown on all racecards. Its not 100% efficient but it certainly helps. Obviously it doesnt really help for first time out 2 yr olds, as there is nothing to compare it to.

Its generally better though and certainly more transparent. I remember Brough Scott encouraging this probably 30 yrs ago. I have seen it first hand being over here in Asia and its certainly a help in trying to ascertain if a horse is fit or not.

5 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Personally I think they should have the system they have in Singapore, Hong Kong and I think the U.S. The horses weight is declared and shown on all racecards. Its not 100% efficient but it certainly helps. Obviously it doesnt really help for first time out 2 yr olds, as there is nothing to compare it to.

Its generally better though and certainly more transparent. I remember Brough Scott encouraging this probably 30 yrs ago. I have seen it first hand being over here in Asia and its certainly a help in trying to ascertain if a horse is fit or not.

Didn’t know they did that. Yes it would certainly help. I think most of us would benefit massively from having the weight of an horse on the race card .

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

A fair point as the stable are yet to have a winner this year

11 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

Didn’t know they did that. Yes it would certainly help. I think most of us would benefit massively from having the weight of an horse on the race card .

And all punters benefit, not just those who are in attendance as all newspaper publications show the same info.

Its huge because they normally show the horses last 5 weights. You can see what the horse weighed when it won its last race etc etc

3 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

And all punters benefit, not just those who are in attendance as all newspaper publications show the same info.

Its huge because they normally show the horses last 5 weights. You can see what the horse weighed when it won its last race etc etc

That’s potentially a gold mine for info .