** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

GENERAL RACING CHIT CHAT

I think a nap is the best bet of the day, not necessarily the most likely winner of the day. I assume that the day's shortest priced horse is the most likely winner of the day.

I often have quite a lot of selections each day often priced from odds on to long odds against. I treat them all as being value bets.

I have selected naps at prices from 50/1 down to 1/33 (I received plenty of ridicule for that one!). To me, they were all value bets.

Out of interest in the 3 days of December there have only been 2 win naps at 50/1 or above and these are from different players so this would suggest that people are not picking random long shots just to win the competition.

Also if I look at the winners for 2020 the average strike rate is 20% which again would indicate that it is not random long shots that are winning the competition.

From next month I might include a random long shot in the competition, don't worry, if this does come top it won't win a prize !

On 11/30/2020 at 5:46 PM, MCLARKE said:

My main source of income is the investments I have on the stock market. Horse racing is just a hobby but I probably spend a lot more time on the horses than I do on my stock investments. It's a lot more fun.

I have wanted to invest in the stockmarket for years but hadn't  the confidence or money to do so  or the know how if i'm honest but i  took the plunge near the end March  after covid struck and prices fell through the roof as i thought if i don't do it now i never will. I am  hooked. I am a total novice  but doing ok i  think probably should stick to ftse  safe stock  but  i like a gamle and have some aim stock. Have gambled on a Hydrogen stock  which was  and still  is in early stages   finding it time consuming and hard going but loving the  challenge. I wish we had a shares thread in PL i think we did years ago but i wasn't into it then i am now! 

I mostly stick to FTSE350 stocks but even these can be volatile. I had a punt on some AIM stocks when there was no horse racing going on and did very well. I bought GREATLAND GOLD at 5p and it's now 32p. Also had a couple of virus stocks, SYNAIRGEN went from 30p to £2 in one day but has since fallen to 77p after the news of the vaccine. Not for the faint hearted. I have been on one of the share forums, it is quite brutal at times, PL is much friendlier !

1 hour ago, MCLARKE said:

I mostly stick to FTSE350 stocks but even these can be volatile. I had a punt on some AIM stocks when there was no horse racing going on and did very well. I bought GREATLAND GOLD at 5p and it's now 32p. Also had a couple of virus stocks, SYNAIRGEN went from 30p to £2 in one day but has since fallen to 77p after the news of the vaccine. Not for the faint hearted. I have been on one of the share forums, it is quite brutal at times, PL is much friendlier !

Yeah i'm in GGP too i jumped in at 11,5 only for small  stakes also in a couple of covid stocks  ODX & DVRG though thats only part covid in a few hydrogen  stock main one  being AFC. I read the forums but don't participate too much  bull  can't trust what you read sometimes.

Potential big developments in Gambling regulation are on the horizon as the Government is due to lay out it's proposals for consultation today

From the Post .......

'Proposals for radical reform of gambling regulation which promise to reshape the betting and racing industries will be laid out on Tuesday by the UK government.

Online restrictions, marketing, stake and spend limits, advertising and promotional offers and extra protections for young adults will be examined by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

Among the potential reforms are stringent new affordability checks for gamblers, with the Gambling Commission carrying out a consultation which has raised the possibility that overall monthly online gambling losses might be capped at £100 unless a customer could prove they could afford to lose more'

If it's going to be such a hassle to bet I'm sure a lot of punters will just give up. I had to jump through hoops to keep my betting account open a couple of years ago with ID Verification ...... if it gets more problematic than that I'll probably just close my accounts and call it a day

4 hours ago, Trotter said:

Potential big developments in Gambling regulation are on the horizon as the Government is due to lay out it's proposals for consultation toda

If it's going to be such a hassle to bet I'm sure a lot of punters will just give up. I had to jump through hoops to keep my betting account open a couple of years ago with ID Verification ...... if it gets more problematic than that I'll probably just close my accounts and call it a day

I agree mate i would probably pack it in  too. Don't think i would miss it that much now that i punt on the stockmarket. Saturdays would be the day i would  miss for a bet on the big handicap races but there is always the high street bookmaker if i really wanted.

On 12/4/2020 at 6:59 PM, MCLARKE said:

What site or app do you use to buy stocks?   

Edited by alexcaruso808

18 minutes ago, alexcaruso808 said:

What site or app do you use to buy stocks?   

There’s actually an  app which some scaffolder told me about. You basically play about with stocks/shares with fake money. It enables you to get the hang of it, and can also show you what’s best to invest into. I’ve not tried it out but he said it was fun and helpful . 

28 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

There’s actually an  app which some scaffolder told me about. You basically play about with stocks/shares with fake money. It enables you to get the hang of it, and can also show you what’s best to invest into. I’ve not tried it out but he said it was fun and helpful . 

Thats a really good idea imo.

5 minutes ago, Tedthewolf said:

Thats a really good idea imo.

It’s basically a mirror image of the actual shares going up and down but with fake money. It’s very good and gives you a great insight. I’m self employed and have no pension so want to try get myself an extra income for when I’m older. Haven’t got a clue best way to go about it. 

1 hour ago, Villa Chris said:

That sounds like a great idea. I had a look around and https://www.howthemarketworks.com/ seems the be the most popular and best rated.  

41 minutes ago, Tedthewolf said:

I have a Halfax dealing account.  I invest through an isa account  so no need to pay tax on any profit. It does cost £12.50 per trade.

Not sure I'd be skilled enough to want to spend £12.50 on a trade.  ?

I have an account with IG. As a regular trader I pay £3 a trade, but I do trade several times a week. I was already invested into Avacta when it was mainly into Cancer Treatment but they went into Covid testing and the price rocketed. I took a good profit and am hoping that they will get the product to market to get a bit more. There are plenty of good firms that have seen their shares tumble. One I have bought into is National Express which I hope will at least double in the next couple of years if Covid is brought under control. Alexcaruso is right about share forums they really are brutal.

Just seen a story on the Racing Post site ......... Southwell set to abandon Fibresand and replace with Tapeta

I'm not a member so I can't read the story behind the paywall but if the headline is correct I think that would be a great shame

The main attraction of UK racing is the great variation of tracks ........ with different tracks suiting different types of horse. I set great store by having picked up track characteristics over the years and 'track suitability' is an important factor in my form study 

Southwell is a unique track, the only fibresand one in the country ...... so if we lose it we lose something that one particular group of horses thrive on and the more that happens the more it becomes difficult for all horses to find conditions which are ideal for them and enable them to win a race. And for punters it takes out an edge in working out which horses will be suited by the track and which won't

I guess it's easier to maintain Tapeta and hence more economic from a course management point of view ........ but now all weather racing will be much of a muchness. If I was the BHA I'd cancel Southwell's fixtures if they went ahead and just give them a share of the existing AW fixtures, so fewer meetings for the other tracks ...... on the basis that we only need so many races run on Tapeta. They can share Wolves and Newcastle's fixtures which are on Tapeta

Sad to hear that. For some strange reason, no doubt, I've always enjoyed watching the racing there- quite different to elsewhere and interesting seeing how some jocks are poor on it regarding pace in different distances. 

Although there are still some still in Europe. A couple in Germany- I think Neuss and Dortmund - and Pau in France. 

Big plunge on Hollie Doyle to win SPOTY from 25/1 to 9/4 in a week ..... now second favourite behind Lewis Hamilton

I don't watch much telly apart from sport so I don't know how much the BBC is putting into informing the public about the annual bash ....... but realistically I'd think 95% of the population would never heard of Hollie a couple of months ago so I guess she must have a good team promoting her !

Saw a terrific documentary on RTV yesterday ........ Dessie's Gold Cup

It was an hour long and told the story of the lead up to Desert Orchid's Gold Cup win in 1989........  interviews with the jockeys, Burridge, the stable lass who became famous as Dessie's lass. Showed clips from a lot of Dessie's earlier races and also interviews and clips about two of his main rivals, Carvills Hill and Ten Plus

All leading up to one of the most memorable moments in Jump racing history ....... the last half mile of the 1989 Gold Cup

Bound to be repeated several times over the next few days so watch out for it if you have RTV

On 11/30/2020 at 5:00 PM, MCLARKE said:

I will be having a look at Nicky Henderson's runners in December, he is the most profitable trainer to follow according to my records but beware his favourites !

He has had a very profitable December with a return of 20 points to SP (31% ROI). However his favourites have been abysmal with a loss of 12 points from 18 bets (-67%).

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Going to narrow down selections even more and only concentrate on races with less than 10 horses running but more than 4 runners . 

I tend to do that when I have my first look at the cards ........ I always start with the races with just single figure runners

I reckon you can look at twice as many 6 runner races as you can 12 runner races in the same time slot.......... ?

double the chance of finding a winner !

19 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I tend to do that when I have my first look at the cards ........ I always start with the races with just single figure runners

I reckon you can look at twice as many 6 runner races as you can 12 runner races in the same time slot.......... ?

double the chance of finding a winner !

Can’t seem to find a bet for tomorrow, so will probably pass. Unless a good nights sleep freshens the brain up .