Tennis Tips - August 5 - August 11

• 5 weeks later...

Are the tips really so bad that nobody wants to join? :cry

Danielle Collins to beat Katerina Siniakova at 1.83 with Pinnacle

Although Siniakova does tend to up her game for the bigger events, I simply have to oppose her after what she did in her two most recent matches, losing dreadfully against both Pegula and the lowly-ranked Kalinina. She didn't seem to be there mentally for whatever reason, while Collins is a consistent performer this year. Wouldn't be shocked to see Siniakova losing this 0-2.

Managed to run through the Challengers as well.

Aleksandre Metreveli to beat Jurgen Zopp at 4.00 with Unibet

I already said some words about Zopp last week and I stand by them despite him taking a set off Lorenzi. He's going down in terms of quality and it's only a matter of time until he starts to lose some matches at large odds. Metreveli is obviously not a particularly bright prospect, but he's been doing reasonably well recently, even upsetting Olivo and Giannessi, so he's clearly capable of delivering a juicy winner. He's hardly the favorite here and I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose 2-6 2-6 or something like that, but, if he gets stuck in, he should have every chance. At 4.00, I have to give this a shot.

Stan Warinka to beat Dimitrov at 1.58 with Bethard

Will be pulling the trigger on this one, odds seem higher than anywhere else and Dimitrov is just a lay at the minute regardless. Stan can also blow hot and cold and it could come down to just whether he fancies it and whether Dimi can get his serve working

Jan-Lennard Struff to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at 2.57 with MarathonBet

I'm not fully behind Tsonga again yet, think he's still got a way to go before he's back to his best. He's winning the H2H but I don't think they've faced much before on hard. Short points are likely so its whether Struff is hitting it clean and whose serving better. Maybe should look at taking the short priced handicap instead.

Am I too gullible if I say I actually believe Kyrgios has turned a corner and will start to become a serious contender for the major tournaments?

His week in Washington set a marker to me and I'm thinking of getting on early for the Aussie open.

13 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

@CSanders22 It was certainly a really good performance and I was pleasantly surprised to see it, but come on, the Aussie Open is several months away from now. He could go to rehab and back in that time :lol.

You are probably very right, need to calm my enthusiasm for bit, the odds will still be there in a few months time if I still feel the same way.

18 minutes ago, CSanders22 said:

You are probably very right, need to calm my enthusiasm for bit, the odds will still be there in a few months time if I still feel the same way.

Agreed - as long as the top dogs are still playing, the odds for the rest of the field are always going to be sweet.

2 hours ago, CSanders22 said:

Am I too gullible if I say I actually believe Kyrgios has turned a corner and will start to become a serious contender for the major tournaments?

His week in Washington set a marker to me and I'm thinking of getting on early for the Aussie open.

I'm sure that's what a lot of people thought a few years back when he was on the cusp of the top 10. I'll need to see a lot more weeks like this one before I think he might contend at a Slam, and that's before considering the question of whether he's in good enough physical shape to withstand the rigours of longer matches across two weeks. As the saying goes "One swallow..."

Cameron Norrie vs Marton Fucsovics
Norrie is the better player on hard courts, he got some good results in Atlanta. Can't see Fucsovics adapt quickly after playing clay court tournaments recently.
Norrie @ 1.88 (betsson)

Xiyu Wang vs Svetlana Kuznetsova
Kuznetsova's career is in decline, I don't know why she gets a wild card here. There are lots of deserving youngsters out there. Anyway 18 year old Wang might not be ready for this level yet but she show she has the means to advance on this one after she beat Bonaventure and Peterson in qualifiers.
Xiyu Wang @ 1.80 (tempobet)

Edited by Anaxagoras
odds change

Donna Vekic to beat Madison Keys at 1.88 with Pinnacle

This is worth chancing imo given that Keys was injured last time out and couldn't even compete against Baptiste. It was an arm problem and those are always difficult to deal with in tennis, so I'm backing Vekic in a match that she can win in two ways - either by playing well herself or by getting an opponent that's not fully fit just yet.

16 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Donna Vekic to beat Madison Keys at 1.88 with Pinnacle

This is worth chancing imo given that Keys was injured last time out and couldn't even compete against Baptiste. It was an arm problem and those are always difficult to deal with in tennis, so I'm backing Vekic in a match that she can win in two ways - either by playing well herself or by getting an opponent that's not fully fit just yet.

That looks a really generous price given how out of sorts Keys was against Baptiste. I suppose the only downside is a quick turnaround for Vekic given she made the last four last week.

Ilia Ivashka to beat Kwon Soon-wo at 2.62 with bet365

Im a little bit surprised for the odds. I think Kwon is overrated here (or Ivashka underrated) so I'm gonna take Ivashka here. Both players come from the qualy (Ivashka has won against Harris and Nishioka and Kwon has won against Haase and Millman). Ivashka is clear the better player here so I'm a little bit surprised (if anyone knows something about this match that i don't know please tell me?)

Kyrgios to beat Edmund at 2.00 with bet365 

Although it‘s a bit risky to bet on Kyrgios after his last succes cause you never know whether he is satisfied now and will throw this one up, I really think that he is on a run right now and enjoying the game not having  lost since wimbledon against Rafa and manage to win against top players while Edmund isn‘t in his best form with his last loss against Peter Gojowczyk. 

Edited by cialivinci

Going to try this one, always enjoy watching Giorgi

WTA Toronto Camilla Giorgi to beat Victoria Azarenka at 2.55 with Betfair

Few things I like about this;

Giorgi is coming off a finals visit so in good form. Azarenka is coming back into form but her serve is still not there yet. Giorgi is flat hard returner so if the serving is weak she will break, and break often, its whether she can hold her own serve. Giorgi also leads the H2H 2-0.

I think as underdog it's definitely worth a shot.

Edited by CSanders22

22 hours ago, CSanders22 said:

Yes. I listened to a very good podcast with a long interview with him. He hates tennis. He doesn't want to take it seriously enough to win big events, he said he does the under arm serves and plays up to take the piss out of the people that say everything should be very serious in the sport and that he shouldn't behave that way. 

He said he knows he loses it sometimes but he doesn't care. He doesn't care enough about tennis to try to change. 

A Riske to beat M Sakkari @ 2.30 with William Hill

At most 50-50 but I am giving Riske a 60-40 chance of winning at good odds. Given odds, Sakkari as favourite is probably based on her higher ranking and she beat Svitolina in San Jose but Svitolina was off form and not-so-fit at the moment. Sakkari then went on to loose to S. Zheng in straight sets. A. Riske is comparable to S. Zheng at the moment.  

Cheers

:cheers

Hey folks, am I the only one who think Pella can win against the odds today? OK, Goffin has the H2H advantage, but the gaucho aleady show that he can cause him plenty of problems on hard (just remember that US Open match two years ago). The lose to Nishioka in Washington could indicate that Goffin is not in the best shape, and I doubt he went there just to collect the check.