Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

I much prefer the new Sporting Life site. Old one was terrible imo. People always hate change, especially when you are used to it and how it works etc. The old shows like Form Factor are going to be incorporated into the rolling news show but not actually boxed off for 45 minutes/an hour. It really should be a lot better
Obviously, Rat, I'm playing victor meldrew these days since i reached 60 a few weeks ago........... The main gripe on other sites regarding ATR is that the Racing Replay has been cut to 45 minutes which they've worked out is not enough time to show all the races if there are a few NH meetings That doesn't bother me personally as i never watch the replay show anyway I'll probably be OK with the programme changes once it settles down As regards the websites my problem is particular - i neeed to have the screen magnified to 200% to read it comfortably - both here on PL since the upgrade and on the new life site I can't see the whole page even with scrolling side to side. I have to reduce the magnification to a point where i have difficulty reading it As an example - on the Life if looking at a racecard now I can't get to the links on the left hand side of the page without reducing magnification On Pl i can't see the right hand third of the league tables on the comps (it's better now with the google docs as you can open them in a seperate window !) So for me personally (though I readily accept that not for every one else) these 'upgrades' invariably make things worse

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Anyone live near Sandown or Doncaster....? Obviously I can look up the MET Website or whatever but given that in Dorset (20 mins from Salisbury) it is absolutley scorching, I'm somewhat doubtful that it will be on the slowside at Sandown tomorrow.... Having been whinging about the rain for months, I'd now like the sun to do one for 24 hours!! :D

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Have always thought it would be ace if a bookmaker allowed you to cancel bets before the start of a race. I'm guessing there's probably a reason why this hasn't really happened (as far as I know) and probably not merely a financial one. I guess what I'm trying to say is essentially it annoys me when you see an early bet of your's drift out markedly in the betting, the ground has gone against it, jockey change, got loose etc. Guess it would mess up the markets if everyone kept making and cancelling bets, though...better idea in principle I guess!

Have always thought it would be ace if a bookmaker allowed you to cancel bets before the start of a race. I'm guessing there's probably a reason why this hasn't really happened (as far as I know) and probably not merely a financial one. I guess what I'm trying to say is essentially it annoys me when you see an early bet of your's drift out markedly in the betting, the ground has gone against it, jockey change, got loose etc. Guess it would mess up the markets if everyone kept making and cancelling bets, though...better idea in principle I guess!
I guess that the reason you can't is that Bookmakers will claim they have tried to make a 'book' which includes the bet you struck and have formed the market accordingly.... You can always (and I have) lay your bet back on the exchanges - but obviously it costs you a premium if there has been too big a drift... I must admit - once I have a bet down - I almost always let it run - the consequences of me going 'on tilt' if it then goes in are probably worse than me losing my stake. Emotionally 'on tilt' anyway - wouldn't chase or whatever.... More accurate ground reports in the first place would be very nice and very welcome though!

I guess that the reason you can't is that Bookmakers will claim they have tried to make a 'book' which includes the bet you struck and have formed the market accordingly.... You can always (and I have) lay your bet back on the exchanges - but obviously it costs you a premium if there has been too big a drift... I must admit - once I have a bet down - I almost always let it run - the consequences of me going 'on tilt' if it then goes in are probably worse than me losing my stake. Emotionally 'on tilt' anyway - wouldn't chase or whatever.... More accurate ground reports in the first place would be very nice and very welcome though!
Yeah like I say, I realise it isn't really viable but it is frustrating. This summer has been a nightmare in that regard for me. I suppose that's the risk you take by backing at bigger prices early doors. The amount of times either the going description has been different to how the track is riding, and the amount of times rain has poured after placing my bet on a decent ground horse is monumental over this flat season. I guess that's racing, though, and I should shut up moaning :cow

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Could be a bit of a nightmare today on the 'changing conditions' front Warwick already abandonned, afternoon inspections at Haydock and Beverley for this evening The sites are still showing Sandown as good to firm, good in places but it's been raining steadily in the London area............so that's a bit of a lottery until racing gets underway (and there's bound to be loads of non runners) If you fancy a day off I think today wold be a good one.............:unsure

Could be a bit of a nightmare today on the 'changing conditions' front Warwick already abandonned, afternoon inspections at Haydock and Beverley for this evening The sites are still showing Sandown as good to firm, good in places but it's been raining steadily in the London area............so that's a bit of a lottery until racing gets underway (and there's bound to be loads of non runners) If you fancy a day off I think today wold be a good one.............:unsure
yeah i agree ...loads of non runners ....3 in the race i picked tonight already ...lottery draw with the ground

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Punters nightmare and they'll be some confusing favourites as well. That confusion leaves for more laying opportunities. From a laying angle I tend to like these days. Surprised if there won't be any further abandonments during the course of the today. Surely, tomorrow's UK cards look like they'll be decimated if the forecast holds up. Ireland should survive as it's only getting the edge of this current monsoon.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Doncaster has now called a noon inspection for this afternoons card If you're looking for a bet or to pick for the comps it might be best to stick to Sandown which appears to be the only meeting guaranteed to go ahead and apparently most of the rain has slid around the racecourse so conditions are still good.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Does anyone know of any sites that have straightforward text racecards without colours, links, betting odds links etc What I'm looking for is something that's easy to copy and paste...............like the Life used to be before the 'improvements'..............

Does anyone know of any sites that have straightforward text racecards without colours, links, betting odds links etc What I'm looking for is something that's easy to copy and paste...............like the Life used to be before the 'improvements'..............
Is it possible to copy and paste the "at a glance card" on the racing post site? No colours or odds, just trainer, jockey, horse etc. I haven't actually tried it so no idea if it works or not. Might post into paint or word?

Does anyone know of any sites that have straightforward text racecards without colours, links, betting odds links etc What I'm looking for is something that's easy to copy and paste...............like the Life used to be before the 'improvements'..............
Horseracebase. There's a stickied link to a free trial on the front of this part of the forum

Mental Note for James Bond (Cattermole) ; Do not bother interviewing the Rothchilds again. Bloody inbreds!!! And just how did 'Nat' end up with that sort by his side....?! Must make more money!! :lol
:lol:rollin

Horseracebase. There's a stickied link to a free trial on the front of this part of the forum
Cheers jay but I'm not looking to pay......:unsure....it's only to C&P a couple of races a week onto another forum for a competition The Life was great before it incorporated links and colours...but it appears that it was the last of the 'copy and paste friendly' websites............:loon

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread What a Durban July today at Greyville. Amazing race, it was so close! South Africa's most important race was won by 28/1 shocker Pomodoro in a photo in the end. But what a masterpiece of a ride by Piere Strydom. Pomodoro had the widest draw of all (20) but Strydom brought him into a nice position, relaxed the horse as well and rode with loads of confidence. Absolutely amazing. To win despite the draw... it's actually an impossible thing. Strydom'ss ride stands in total contrast to the ride of the young and inexperienced Karis Teetan who's been riding the hot favourite Jackson, who was drawn in 16. He couldn't relax the horse in the early stages of the race and Jackson finished only fourth last in consequence. Amazing race anyway: http://youtu.be/7ksh5WlVanw

Have to add this here, really impressive to see the race with the jockeys eyes. Ride the July with Top Seller: http://youtu.be/qMDuKWQxsNc qMDuKWQxsNc

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Had a sole bet on The Oil Magnate in the 4.00 Ayr which won easily. It was ridden by T Eaves and trained by M Dodds. The jockey won easily by 3 lengths , but could have a lot more lengths. Watching the race on TV he was always travelling the best but he never seemed to be aware of where he was in the race , he looked over his shoulder 7 times in the final fiurlong. I'm aware M Dodds and T Eaves makes their living with handicap horses and in a different race The Oil Magnate could have easily been beat with the tender ride it was given. Would like to see horses ridden out even if it means winning by several more lengths , as long as it wins. Maybe somebody should design some wing mirrors they could attach to the horses head similar to motorbike mirrors but made of safer materials so jockeys can easily see where they are in a race without comprimising their finishing position.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I've slagged off Godolphin a few times on this forum but credit where its due. Their horses are running really well the last couple of weeks. Don't know what they have done but its a big turnaround in form. SBS has had 8 winners from his last 20 runners and Al Zarooni's strike rate is also improving. And their strike rate at Kempton is red hot. Worth keeping an eye on them.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Yesterday we had 4 Grade 1 racecourses in a single day in Newmarket , Newbury , York and Chepstow ( abandoned ) and today we have the same 3 courses again. Why can't they evenly distribute the meetings at the decent courses ? On Mondays and Tuesdays we get Ponte , Brighton , Hamilton , Carlisle etc then some days we get all top courses. Why can't they put a Ascot on Monday afternoons instead always towards the end of the week ?

Yesterday we had 4 Grade 1 racecourses in a single day in Newmarket , Newbury , York and Chepstow ( abandoned ) and today we have the same 3 courses again. Why can't they evenly distribute the meetings at the decent courses ? On Mondays and Tuesdays we get Ponte , Brighton , Hamilton , Carlisle etc then some days we get all top courses. Why can't they put a Ascot on Monday afternoons instead always towards the end of the week ?
Spread the meetings out and the quality races too. Way too many good races today and it seems like every 5-10 mins another race is off. I'd love to see some top quality racing reserved for Sundays like they do in France and Ireland. The top courses get the best races and many can't get their midweek unless it's booked in advance and part of a festival like the Dante, Ebor, Glorious Goodwood etc so the best races often end up being on Saturdays. They also need to look at fixtures, up here we get Ponty, Ripon, Donny, York in the space of a week at times. It's good that we have so much racing but financially impossible to get to all those meetings in such a short period of time. Mondays and Tuesdays are nearly always poor racing days, especially Tuesdays when it's often 2 meetings only, one or two being all weather. As you say best racing seems reserved for Thursday to Saturday.

Spread the meetings out and the quality races too. Way too many good races today and it seems like every 5-10 mins another race is off. I'd love to see some top quality racing reserved for Sundays like they do in France and Ireland. The top courses get the best races and many can't get their midweek unless it's booked in advance and part of a festival like the Dante' date=' Ebor, Glorious Goodwood etc so the best races often end up being on Saturdays. They also need to look at fixtures, up here we get Ponty, Ripon, Donny, York in the space of a week at times. It's good that we have so much racing but financially impossible to get to all those meetings in such a short period of time. Mondays and Tuesdays are nearly always poor racing days, especially Tuesdays when it's often 2 meetings only, one or two being all weather. As you say best racing seems reserved for Thursday to Saturday.[/quote'] I much prefer it when some of the big races / H'caps are run during the week like yesterdays July Cup and Bunbury Cup. I also prefered the Derby when it was run on a Wednesday although I understand the reasoning for runing on a Saturday. Also I think they should look at running some big festivals later in afternoon or in the evening. It was an interesting idea switching the Irish Derby from a Sunday afternoon to a Saturday evening spot , not sure how it went down in Ireland or whether it was a success , but if big festivals were staged later in the day it would allow some 9-5 Mon - Friday workers the opportunity to participate in the sport.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I've no problems with the better quality racing being pushed back to the end of the week as more people will either be off work over the weekend or can take a Friday off for a long weekend. Erhaab1965 is spot on, staging in later in the day is the way forward. Punchestown have been doing that now for a couple of years and I believe the Curragh were delighted enough this year with the Derby attendance as that was becoming a bit of a joke on the Sunday afternoon. Don't forget though, purists were deriding the ideas of having a band/singer on after racing, but at least courses were trying to attract new customers. It's going to be difficult pleasing everybody. If it was planned properly we could have had Grade 1 courses racing into early evening on Friday, Saturday afternoon and early Saturday evening with entertainment afterwards and then Sunday afternoon. I'd like to see more quality cards on the Sundays. At the moment most Sundays, and take today as an example, are a complete joke. It's the middle of July. Looking at the cards, you'd think it was December.