Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Next weekend is one of the jewels of the flat season the King George and QE2 Diamond Stakes. What if was held in the evening ? Its the height of summer so daylight would be no problem. It may attract more attendenances , the TV coverage could attract more viewers , the bookies could attract more turnover. We all know people who work 9-5 Mon -Fri/Sat. I'm sure some of these people have not had the chance to be introduced to the sport because of work commitments. If you work in retail you are buggered as far as racing is concerned.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I reckon within a decade it and other major races will be positioned later in the day. We've seen football which use to be a preserve of 3.00pm on a Saturday, now on all over the weekend. I also reckon 8 race cards will become the norm as well.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Yeah absolutely, it's just amazing stuff. As someone who loves the horse and the sport itself and not only cares about the money I just love this wonderful pictures of the horses. Never ceases to amaze me. Last years sire film was equally impressive, though. Worth a look as well: http://youtu.be/mhz0usIz27k

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Found a complete version of the BBC King George coverage - enjoy! 21.07.2012 Ascot (GB) 6.Race King George Stakes... by HorseRaceSports Even a night later I'm still so excited, could watch this again and again. Love the Racingpost headline today as well: "Danedream believer". I certainly was one. With a clear run she may even would have won more convincingly... that's why it's funny if people say Nathanial was unlucky. Danedream was the best horse in the field yesterday, that's all that matters. What a little, tough filly she is. Btw. heads off for John Gosden, who was as smart as ever in defeat: "Danedream has come back to her best and anyone who was lucky enough to see her win the Arc, break the course record and destroy the colts, she is marvellous. Full marks to her."

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

Found a complete version of the BBC King George coverage - enjoy! 21.07.2012 Ascot (GB) 6.Race King George Stakes... by HorseRaceSports Even a night later I'm still so excited, could watch this again and again. Love the Racingpost headline today as well: "Danedream believer". I certainly was one. With a clear run she may even would have won more convincingly... that's why it's funny if people say Nathanial was unlucky. Danedream was the best horse in the field yesterday, that's all that matters. What a little, tough filly she is. Btw. heads off for John Gosden, who was as smart as ever in defeat: "Danedream has come back to her best and anyone who was lucky enough to see her win the Arc, break the course record and destroy the colts, she is marvellous. Full marks to her."
Very pleased for u Rob... It's funny how the racing climate changes so quickly... 6 months ago, the media would have been up in arms about the whip use on the first 3... Danedream would possibly not have won without 9 hits - some in very quickly succession... Always happens in the Group 1s... Fair play to the jocks - if my money were down I'd want that kind of ride. I just think it makes the whip rulers somewhat pointless and how hard/or how much the jock is prepared to cheat(!) should be declared before the race!! Had no financial interest by the way... Just think it needs sorting. Congrats again on the win - good to see someone getting so much from Racing. :)

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread That's right... well that is the problem with the rules in the UK. For me still not understandable. Why not have it like in Ireland? They reviewed their rules and came to the conclusion there is no need to change. Stewards can decide individually... what is very important in my mind. One ride is not like another one. But it is like it is in England and I think the jockeys of the first three horses all were punished with bans. But I have to say I thought it was a ride to perfection by Andrasch Starke. He had Danedream always in the right position, didn't panic when Nathaniel tried to kick away and just rode the finish as you would expect in one of the most important races of the year. Yeah that's racing for me in particular: Great sport, great emotions, great equine athletes... of course It is a nice side effect to make some extra money with the betting and to have a 10/1 winner like Danedream is always extra sweet but I just love the sport itself, even without betting. Just can sit down and watch the great races of the past. It's a massive sport and I can't wait going to the Curragh later for the Irish Oaks day. Will be great. :)

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I know Ireland has a few big festivals like Punchestown and Galway , but why can't they have a big meeting made up of predominantly prestige races like the Epsom Derby meeting , Royal Ascot , Glorious Goodwood and the Cheltenham Festival ? Today is their Irish Oaks and the meeting doesn't seem to be attractive in trems of quality races. Also why is it always held a few weeks after the Irish Derby. It is the same / used to be for the other races like their 2000/1000 Guineas , held on different weekends on mediocre cards. Their Irish Champion Hurdle , Irish Arkle , and Gold Cup are also held on different meetings. Wouldn't it be great if they could have meetings to rival Royal Ascot and the Cheltenham Festival ?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Good point Erhaab and with the Galway meeting coming up we'll see a handful of quality races against a lot of mediocre dross, split across 7 days. Much too long in my view. I think courses are catering for the fact that the name of the meeting, be it Galway, Punchestown and to a lesser level, but very important locally, 'festival' meetings such as Killarney, Listowel and others across the country, will always attract the paying public who are going for the occasion it is as much as the racing going on. They need then to provide some show-piece racing at each meeting, so the quality races are more spread out. It would be great to have something like a tight Derby/Oaks meeting across two days with a lot more quality racing but to succeed it would have to attract more UK and French horses - and to have to fit into an already well established European racing programme. Not impossible if the right money was on offer. In hindsight, perhaps it should have occurred in the Celtic tiger years and would now be established.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Question to you Irish members. Does Irish or UK racing come first in Irish betting shops and amongst punters ? Is there more Irish racing news than UK racing news in your racing papers ?You guys on here seem to be very clued up about UK racing but we are not as clued up about about your racing other than news concerning the top races/jockeys/trainers.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread We see many Irish raiders in the UK of all types from lowly rated over jumps to top class horses , yet it does not seem to be reciprocated by UK trainers despite Irish prizemoney being higher. I know Mark Johnston sometimes sends his horses to Dundalk and you get the occassional group class raider , but on the whole not many take the opportunity for some reason. I know the Queen didn't for political reasons for many years but that ended last year with Carlton House in the Irish Derby.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Erhaab I think the cost and hassling of travelling over might put them off. That, and the simple fact is that from a UK angle, most people in the UK, and racehorse trainers are no different, know and even care less about Ireland, whereas the other way around the Irish are well versed about all things in the UK. We get all the UK TV stations and Irish versions of UK tabloids are well read. I'm sure a lot of people in the UK even think Ireland, as a whole island, is part and parcel of the UK, a bit like Scotland. Maybe Mark Johnston and a few others such as Richard Fahey I've noticed recently believe in some races they can mop up occasionally. Mick Channon as well. I think we'll see more of that, other trainers will see a raid as a good potential opportunity with good prize money on offer. If it means for more competitive racing, then that's a good thing. I'm surprised more UK trainers don't make the attempt. In these straightened times, I think trainers need to be thinking a bit more entrepreneurial. Gordon Elliott targeting Perth for example seems to have been very successful. Not sure why Scottish based trainers don't do the return, or do they?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Back from the Curragh. Was a lovely day of racing. Great Heavens was a fantastic winner of the Irish Oaks. Tremendous turn of foot! bild5325.jpg Great Heavens Have to say I can't understand why British trainers don't come more often over here and try to win some Handicaps. The fields today for example weren't really competitive but rather poor in my mind, yet there was loads of money on the plate. Best example may be the Rockingham Handicap today, a Premier Handicap, with €50.000 for the winner and good price money down to the fourth place... the field was a disappointing one I have to admit. That would have been a fantastic opportunity for a good British Handicapper to come over and take some good money home... In terms of festivals and that stuff: The Derby meeting was a 3 day festival, Friday to Sunday, with live concerts after the racing (Ronan Keating for example on Derby day) and loads of other stuff around the meeting. It certainly was a big thing, the derby day in particular. Attendance was up in contrast to last year despite bad weather. Sure it has not the prestige of the Epsom Derby but personally I couldn't care less about that. I enjoy these big festivals in the UK but do really love Irish racing. It has its own charm. It was sad to see only such a small Derby field though. But that is not the fault of Irish racing. Price money is great and if trainers from other nations are afraid to come over to take on Camelot then you can't do anything about it. If trainers would believe they have a super horse then they would make it over here from Britain to race for good money. John Gosden is doing that. He won the Pretty Polly Stakes and today the Oaks. He walks home as a happy man with a case of money in his hand. Well done. Btw. todays Irish Oaks was a massively competitive affair. You had the Epsom Oaks winner and second, the Ribblesdale Stakes winner who beat the Epsom Oaks third by 6 lengths, and you had the massively improved Lancashire Oaks winner Great Haevens... I think you can't ask for much more.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I read that the long time ante post fav for the Goodwood Mile Trade Commissioner was withdrawn for not eating up . Its something we punters can not check or verify. At the same time we find out he was drawn 21 of 21. We see this happening all the time whether true or not , especially at Chester when they get a coffin draw.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Looking through tomorrow's Market Rasan card and thought the 2:20 looked very trappy with many with good chances then shocked to see the opening prices! Tyrana at 7/2, forecast 14/1 and is 10 pounds out of the handicap tomorrow! Good jockey booking but this horse hasn't shown much on past form to warrant being favourite here so must have been jumping hurdles for fun at home for Ian Williams to have been punted this much overnight. Be interesting to see the race tomorrow and if it's continued to be backed in the morning.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Anyone just see John Gallagher's interview on ATR after Peter Island just won? Showed what racing is all about in my opinion, could tell how much it meant to him, looked like he was getting quite emotional, pleased for him though. Sad to hear the old boy Osiris Way collapse and die after the finishing line, been around for years and remember seeing him tipped up on here a few times, especially first time out where he had quite a good record.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I had a bet each way on Osiris Way and thought it was cruising then just stopped and I thought it seemed a dodgy ride in all honesty. Reading that now I feel bad, terrible for the owners and trainer and my condolences go out to them and especially the horse. They must be devastated.