Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Wank, ****, bollocks, ****, arse, piss, nobs... Following a drift that I was not expecting, I just went to back Best Trip at Warwick... My cock of an internet died on the spot with the bet pending!!! Not idea if I was on or not.... I knew the answer as soon as he went clear.... Easily. So annoying.:wall

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Why did Richard Hughes opt for the Bahri route yesterday on Crius in the Tercentenary Stakes when the remainder of the field went the conventional route ? When he realised he made an error of judgement he didn't bother riding home for a place almost 100 lengths behind , typical R Hughes . Talented but lazy jockey , no wonder H Cecil , M Stoute and K Abdulla teamed up and sacked him.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread One aspect of racing which annoys me is the renaming of races. Todays highlight is the Gr1 Diamond Jubilee , many of you out there will now it was previously known as the Golden Jubilee for the last 10 years . This particular renaming is very fitting and OK. Previous to that it was known to us as the Gr3 Cork and Orrey probably for many decades which was run on day 1 of Royal Ascot. My point is that sometimes when they change the name we sometimes lose track of the particular race and think its a brand new race altogether. In 2017 will it be known as the Blue Sapphire Jubilee ( 65 years ) What about the Tercentenary Stakes run on Thursday , how many people knew it was the Hapton Court Stakes , previous to that wasn't it the Milcar Stakes run on day 5 , which wasn't Royal Ascot but normal Ascot , being normal Ascot sponsorship is allowed which is why the car dealership sponsored the race. Also wasn't it a non group race so the connection isn't really there. Other races in the calender which have been lost to me are some of the classic trails , like the Predominate and Lupe stakes into the Cocked Hat and Height of Fashion Stakes , theres no connection in the titles of these races. Over the jumps it wasn't until the following year I realised the Nuptune Hurdle was the RSA Hurdle as I knew it for many years , I thought it had been dropped. If you have trends or betting angles for certain races you don't want to miss opportunites by not realising the races are run with different names. I might sound like old fashioned , but I prefer race names to remain constant , maybe with sponsored by XXX after it instead.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

One aspect of racing which annoys me is the renaming of races. Todays highlight is the Gr1 Diamond Jubilee , many of you out there will now it was previously known as the Golden Jubilee for the last 10 years . This particular renaming is very fitting and OK. Previous to that it was known to us as the Gr3 Cork and Orrey probably for many decades which was run on day 1 of Royal Ascot. My point is that sometimes when they change the name we sometimes lose track of the particular race and think its a brand new race altogether. In 2017 will it be known as the Blue Sapphire Jubilee ( 65 years ) What about the Tercentenary Stakes run on Thursday , how many people knew it was the Hapton Court Stakes , previous to that wasn't it the Milcar Stakes run on day 5 , which wasn't Royal Ascot but normal Ascot , being normal Ascot sponsorship is allowed which is why the car dealership sponsored the race. Also wasn't it a non group race so the connection isn't really there. Other races in the calender which have been lost to me are some of the classic trails , like the Predominate and Lupe stakes into the Cocked Hat and Height of Fashion Stakes , theres no connection in the titles of these races. Over the jumps it wasn't until the following year I realised the Nuptune Hurdle was the RSA Hurdle as I knew it for many years , I thought it had been dropped. If you have trends or betting angles for certain races you don't want to miss opportunites by not realising the races are run with different names. I might sound like old fashioned , but I prefer race names to remain constant , maybe with sponsored by XXX after it instead.
Interesting you mention this as I've just read Richard Hughes's column in todays RP. He says prize money at Royal Ascot is poor and partly down to the no sponsorship rule of races. He makes comparisons to races like the Arc, Dubai World Cup, Breeders Cup etc and feels it's only a matter of time before they allow races to be sponsored and bring in loads more revenue. Maybe this will happen and then we'll have to get to know all the new race names all over again. How do you feel about Royal Ascot races being sponsored? Break with tradition or keep it as it is?
I might sound like old fashioned , but I prefer race names to remain constant , maybe with sponsored by XXX after it instead.
Perfect way to do it for me - Royal Hunt Cup, sponsored by Ferrari. Chesham Stakes sponsored by Cartier etc etc.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I know the purists and even the royalists will shudder at the thought but it is probably only a matter of time for sponsorship to creep in. It's happened with all other sports tacky though it is. Who'd have ever thought 20 years ago Stadiums would be renamed for example. Mowgli is spot on, for Royal Ascot they'lll keep race titles but add the sponsorship into the title at the end. As I'm here and another Royal Ascot comes to a close, is it all possible to acquire Royal Enclosure tickets or is it the last hurrah of an upper class establishment that continues to hold onto it's, let's be honest, outdated privileges. For any other meeting if you want the best view, you pay to go into the members, but not here. At this you have to put up with second best in the grandstand. Anyone here ever been in the Royal Enclosure - and how did you get there?

Interesting you mention this as I've just read Richard Hughes's column in todays RP. He says prize money at Royal Ascot is poor and partly down to the no sponsorship rule of races. He makes comparisons to races like the Arc, Dubai World Cup, Breeders Cup etc and feels it's only a matter of time before they allow races to be sponsored and bring in loads more revenue. Maybe this will happen and then we'll have to get to know all the new race names all over again. How do you feel about Royal Ascot races being sponsored? Break with tradition or keep it as it is? Perfect way to do it for me - Royal Hunt Cup, sponsored by Ferrari. Chesham Stakes sponsored by Cartier etc etc.
To be honest , I have no strong view on the prize money , all the connections are minted so my heart doesn't bleed for them like it would for the owner of a seller at Southwell . I haven't yet read R Hughes's column but is he only concerned about his % of the prize money , maybe thats the reason why he hasn't seemingly put in any to get the best possible placings. This years Royal Ascot has had the biggest fields I can remember in over 2 decades of punting , so poorer prizemoney is not going to deter connections , but if sponsorship is the way forward then why not. The final day of the meeting used to be for us peasants but with the " Royal " part removed and sponsorship was permitted , now they've taken that away from us , so if some top jockeys are whinging about their % , I don't really care.

Black Caviar' date=' highly unimpressive! And Luke Nolen would want a kick up the hole....[/quote'] Thought he'd been pipped at the line. I thought Frankel would destroy Black Caviar anyway but that just confirms it, let Moody pick the distance it wouldn't matter !

Thought he'd been pipped at the line. I thought Frankel would destroy Black Caviar anyway but that just confirms it' date=' let Moody pick the distance it wouldn't matter ![/quote'] Frankel would beat her over 6f, no doubt.

Totally agree mate' date=' do you think the race may happen ?[/quote'] No, the case is closed now imo, and they will prob be stepping Frankel up in trip? We don't need them to race to know which horse is better.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I think what is proven is that Frankel would have beaten Black Caviar, in this country, this week, @Ascot... Frankel won't travel to Oz/America - don't blame connections - he is more valuable being a colt. Let's try to be gracious in 'victory' - both great horses.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread To be honest this Frankel/Black Caviar talk is just so annoying. Two completely different horses, racing over different distances. Why can't people just enjoy two champs? Anyway, we wanted a spectacle and we got one. Black Caviar is 22 from 22 and that's all that really matters. She travelled around the globe, came from the Australian winter into the English "summer", gone in her coat already, racing at a track maybe stiffer than ideal, everything was new to her anyway... yet she won. Connections apparently didn't want to give her a hard race, quite understandably. Nolan took that order a bit too far I'd say. But hats off to her connections to bring her over anyway. The build-up to the race was like never before, it was great for racing overall and we got the right result. I'm just happy with that and enjoyed this fantastic horse, the excitement and all that. Feel sorry for all the people who weren't able to do so. Edit: Just read that BC didn't look well after the race. One said she's been found lame... Hm... hopefully not... Edit2: "Black Caviar was not 100 per cent in the race. We'll look at her when we get home and she might be retired," trainer Peter Moody.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread [TABLE=class: wikitable]

[TR] [TH]Result[/TH] [TH]Date[/TH] [TH]Race[/TH] [TH]Venue[/TH] [TH]Group[/TH] [TH]Distance[/TH] [TH]Weight (kg)[/TH] [TH]Jockey[/TH] [TH]Time[/TH] [TH]Winner/2nd[/TH] [TH]Margins[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]8 Oct 2011[/TD] [TD]Schillaci Stakes[/TD] [TD]Caulfield[/TD] [TD]G2[/TD] [TD]1000 m[/TD] [TD]56.5[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]0:56.73[/TD] [TD]2nd - Karuta Queen[/TD] [TD]4.3 x 0.4[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]22 Oct 2011[/TD] [TD]Schweppes Stakes[/TD] [TD]Moonee Valley[/TD] [TD]G2[/TD] [TD]1200 m[/TD] [TD]56.5[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]1:10.13[/TD] [TD]2nd - Doubtful Jack[/TD] [TD]6.0 x 1.3[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]5 Nov 2011[/TD] [TD]Patinack Farm Classic[/TD] [TD]Flemington[/TD] [TD]G1[/TD] [TD]1200 m[/TD] [TD]56.5[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]1:08.03[/TD] [TD]2nd - Buffering[/TD] [TD]2.8 x 3.8[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]27 Jan 2012[/TD] [TD]Australia Stakes[/TD] [TD]Moonee Valley[/TD] [TD]G2[/TD] [TD]1200 m[/TD] [TD]56.5[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]1:09.44[/TD] [TD]2nd - Zedi Knight[/TD] [TD]4.3 x 4.3[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]11 Feb 2012[/TD] [TD]C F Orr Stakes[/TD] [TD]Caulfield[/TD] [TD]G1[/TD] [TD]1400 m[/TD] [TD]57[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]1:25.14[/TD] [TD]2nd - Southern Speed[/TD] [TD]3.3 x 3.8[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]18 Feb 2012[/TD] [TD]Lightning Stakes[/TD] [TD]Flemington[/TD] [TD]G1[/TD] [TD]1000 m[/TD] [TD]56.5[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]0:55.53[/TD] [TD]2nd - Hay List[/TD] [TD]1.8 x 3.8[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]28 Apr 2012[/TD] [TD]Robert Sangster Stakes[/TD] [TD]Morphettville[/TD] [TD]G1[/TD] [TD]1200 m[/TD] [TD]56.5[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]1:10.65[/TD] [TD]2nd - Sistine Angel[/TD] [TD]4.5 x 0.1[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]12 May 2012[/TD] [TD]Goodwood Handicap[/TD] [TD]Morphettville[/TD] [TD]G1[/TD] [TD]1200 m[/TD] [TD]57[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]1:10.32[/TD] [TD]2nd - We're Gonna Rock[/TD] [TD]1.3 x 3.0[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Won[/TD] [TD]23 June 2012[/TD] [TD]Diamond Jubilee Stakes[/TD] [TD]Ascot, England[/TD] [TD]G1[/TD] [TD]1200 m[/TD] [TD]57[/TD] [TD]L. Nolen[/TD] [TD]1:09.01[/TD] [TD]2nd - Moonlight Cloud[/TD] [TD]0.1 x 0.5 [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Just got this from Wikipedia. She's been on the go since October and this is her 9th race/win since then. I'm not surprised she hasn't run up to her best. Fair play to the connections, we had the spectacle and she returns home a winner.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Black Caviar is the best sprinter in the world and Frankel is the best miler in the world simple as. As Ive seen someone say its a bit like comparing Kauto Star and Hurricane Fly, they both do different things and they both do those things well.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Willie Carson in his post race analysis was critical of Luke Nolan however Willie forgot to mention the similarity of his ride on odds on shot Kamari in 1996 when he got done on the line , Willie got the maximum possible punishment. Kamari whizzed it next time out at odds of 1/28. Glad we won't be seeing much more of him in the future.

Black Caviar is the best sprinter in the world and Frankel is the best miler in the world simple as. As Ive seen someone say its a bit like comparing Kauto Star and Hurricane Fly' date=' they both do different things and they both do those things well.[/quote'] Kauto Star was top class over 2 miles having won the best races over that distance and was fav for the Champion Chase one year , and also top class over 3 miles +. Hurricane Fly won from under a mile to 2 and a half miles. Maybe different horses would have illustrated your point a little better.

Kauto Star was top class over 2 miles having won the best races over that distance and was fav for the Champion Chase one year , and also top class over 3 miles +. Hurricane Fly won from under a mile to 2 and a half miles. Maybe different horses would have illustrated your point a little better.
True but they are still racing under different conditions. Lets take Big Bucks and Kauto Star then. No one would be asking for a race between those two as one is top class over hurdles and one over fences. Just because these two are both Flat horses and race at close distances to each other doesnt mean we can tell who is better.

True but they are still racing under different conditions. Lets take Big Bucks and Kauto Star then. No one would be asking for a race between those two as one is top class over hurdles and one over fences. Just because these two are both Flat horses and race at close distances to each other doesnt mean we can tell who is better.
Frankel Vs Black Caviar is not a match I want to see , but over the years theres been many top milers drop back to 6F and win. The most recent I can remember is Starspangledbanner who won a Gr1 over a mile then later on in his career dropped back in distance to win the Golden Jubilee and July Cup.

New look At The Races starting Wednesday
I don't know much about it but I hear that all our regular programmes like Irish Angle, Form Factor, Sunday Forum etc have got the boot to be repplaced by a sort of 'rolling news desk'........... I'm probably not going to like it I tried to be upbeat but I don't like the 'new' PL I don't like the new Sporting Life as from today People just seem determined to mess around with things that aren't broken...........

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I much prefer the new Sporting Life site. Old one was terrible imo. People always hate change, especially when you are used to it and how it works etc. The old shows like Form Factor are going to be incorporated into the rolling news show but not actually boxed off for 45 minutes/an hour. It really should be a lot better