** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat - Saturday 5th March

Changing tack ....I think for a shot at a decent sized win ....focusing on 2 or 3 runners from the ratings with bigger stakes ew or win  is a faster route to some nice wins ......base system is slow ....it works in long term.but you don't get those huge wins which I prefer ? so I think it's time to start shooting for the moon and filling the banks .....so its time to get serious now 

150 newb Saturday 

Senior citizen   8.6 7.0 

Dublin four  8.3  5.5 

Paint the dream  7.8 12.5 

Tamaroc du matthan 7.0 

Classy race and wide open ....all the horses are capable on a good day ....top 2 look particularly strong but paint the dream is slightly out of form but is capable if bouncing back and is in shouting dist on ratings ... I'll try 5pts on top 3 

315 Kelso 

Bevoir dair    8.8 

Cormier    8.5 

Metier     8.0 

Autumn evening 8.0 

Faivoir        7.8 

Very competitive and tricky race....beavoir dair  is definately the class act and in theory is more than capable of winning this off top weight but many horses like this struggle dropping into hcaps due to the weight so unknown .....cormier wasn't harshly penalised for last win so could be more to come but this will be a fierce race do wouldn't surprise me if fought out by top 5

Beauvoir dair   5pt win 5.9 

Cormièr   5pt ew 15/2

Ten races on terrestrial TV on Saturday coming from Kelso, Doncaster and Newbury. The ground at all three tracks is likely to be very testing so its mudlarks we're looking for today. . Here’s my thoughts on the ten :-

Newbury 1.15

An unappealing race punting wise. This 3m 2F veterans handicap chase has attracted eight runners with Aso heading the weights and the betting. He would have every chance on his best form though is very in and out nowadays. David Dennis’s Indy Five brings the best recent form to the table with his second at Catterick last time but that was in a grade 4 contest as opposed to today’s grade 2. Tom Gretton trains Kauto Riko who was out of his depth in the Cotswolds Chase at Cheltenham last time though wasn’t disgraced in fourth beaten only 11L. He’s got some decent back form and with Kieran Buckley taking off 5lb he appeals here as the likeliest winner.

KAUTO RIKO 1 point win @ 4/1 Bet365

Kelso 1.32

The 2m 2F grade 2 Premier Novices’ Hurdle has attracted a good turnout of nine runners with Alan King’s promising unbeaten 5 year old North Lodge carrying a 5lb penalty which maybe his undoing. He met his main rival here Richmond Lake at Aintree on his hurdling debut back in December beating him 1 1/4L but is 5lb worse off with Richmond Lake who hung left on the run in and although there shouldn’t be much between the pair it may just be Donald McCain’s 6 year old who comes out best here following a good 2nd behind Jonbon at Haydock. A horse that was behind Richmond Lake that day but can get closer is the Nick Alexander trained Donny Boy who Alexander has stated is the best horse he’s ever trained. He pulled far too hard at Haydock and if he can settle better can out run his odds. I’ll play Richmond Lake with a small each way saver on the latter.

RICHMOND LAKE 1 point win @ 2/1 Bet365

DONNY BOY 1/2 point each way @ 30/1 Paddy Power 1/5 123

Newbury 1.50

The Greatwood Gold Cup has been a Paul Nicholls benevolent race over the years winning five of the last eight renewals and his two runners here have to be given respect. Harry Cobden is on Tamaroc Du Mathan whilst Bryony Frost is on Amour De Nuit. Both have claims with preference for the former who should be competitive here. Alan King saddles Senior Citizen who, he said in his Weekender column, is getting readied for the Scottish National meeting following a 119 day absence. Dublin Four has good form at the track having won two of his three starts here and is another with claims. The selection however is the Venetia Williams trained Farinet who seems to relish soft ground and should get his conditions to suit hopefully. He may not have seen out the three miles last time and the drop back to the intermediate trip on his favoured terrain looks ideal.

FARINET 2 points win 7/1 Bet365

Kelso 2.05

A dozen hurdlers assemble for this 2m 4F 189 yards class 2 handicap hurdle which has a very open look about it. Elvis Mail, with his two handicap entries for Cheltenham, looks a player here following two decent runs here behind Stainsby Girl this year. Hart Of Steel is chasing a hat trick of wins for Donald McCain and is only 7lb higher than when starting his winning spree and should be competitive. Favourite is the Nicky Richards trained Famous Bridge who made his handicap debut over course and distance a month ago when very well backed only to unseat his rider two from home when coming to win his race. He’ll do for me with Brian Hughes in the saddle.

FAMOUS BRIDGE 2 points win @ 7/2 Bet365

Doncaster 2.20

A 3 mile mares only listed novices hurdle with ten going to post. There’s a warm favourite here in the Dan Skelton trained Get A Tonic who will be hard to beat. She’s bumped into smart sorts Hillcrest and Marie’s Rock on her last two starts and steps up to three miles here for the first time under Bridget Andrews. On official ratings she’s 9lb and more better than these and worth backing especially if we can get Evens or better. She can be chased home by Alastair Ralph’s Holly Hartingo who actually holds the second favourite Miss Fairfax on their Ludlow form in December.

GET A TONIC 3 points win 5/4 William Hill

GET A TONIC & ESPOIR DE ROMAY 1 point win double

Kelso 2.40

This seven runner listed Premier Chase run over nearly a furlong short of three miles has attracted seven runners. The Kim Bailey trained eight year old Espoir De Romay is the clear top rated, 9lb clear of his main rival (in the betting anyway) Itchy Feet and 3lb and more clear of the remainder. He’s not been seen since October and one can only assume has had a setback but if he’s straight enough will be very hard to beat. The one to chase him home may well be Big River who loves this track winning 5 of his 7 starts here.

ESPOIR DE ROMAY 2 points win @ 9/4 Bet365

Doncaster 2.55

Plenty with chances in this class 2 9 runner two mile handicap chase. The Big Bite is arguably the one to beat following his Doncaster second spot to Funambule Sivola with that one subsequently boosting the form by winning in graded company at Newbury. Malystic hasn’t been seen for 321 days but has had his wind done and is an interesting runner for Peter Niven if straight enough. Bun Doran is tumbling down the handicap and has been dropped another 4lb for his latest run at Sandown. He’s now a fully 29lb lower than when at his pomp a couple of years ago and has to be on the short list. It’s a tough call but I’ll just go with Bun Doran who surely is going to win sooner rather than later off of his tumbling mark.

BUN DORAN 1 point win @ 7/1 BetVictor

Kelso 3.15

A big purse of £100k guaranteed here for the Moorebattle Hurdle which is now a handicap run over 2m 51yds and is headed by a previous Champion Hurdler Buveur D’Air who’s reappearing following an absence of 331 days and it would be no shock were he to be too good for these although after such a long layoff it’ll be a big ask and is worth opposing. Harry Fry’s Metier needs very deep ground but is a classy hurdler who’s up 7lb for his Lingfield victory last time out. Balko Saint is an interesting runner for Nick Williams who’s lightly raced and can run well at a price. Cormier is the selection though. He bounced back to winning form at Cheltenham last time in good style and a 4lb rise may under estimate his chance here. He’ll appreciate the softer conditions under foot and could be the value each way with enhanced places .

CORMIER 1 point each way @ 7/1 William Hill 1/ 12345

Doncaster 3.30

Eight go to post for the Grimthorpe Handicap Chase run over 3m 2F with all bar possibly bottom weight Legends Gold holding a chance. I’m quite sweet on Mister Malarkey here mind. He’s switched trainers since last seen and has also had his wind tinkered with. Formerly with Colin Tizzard he’s now in the very capable hands of Richard Bandey who’s done so well this season with Saint Palais and is extremely well handicapped if his new trainer can get him back to form of old. A good winner at Ascot back in December 2020 off of 150 and a decent third in the valuable Kempton 3m handicap chase run in February last year off of 155 can now race off of 142 following three modest runs in decent handicap company. Le Milos comes her in good form and looks the biggest threat but it’s Mister Malarkey each way for me hoping the dead eight all run.

MISTER MALARKEY 2 points each way @ 6/1 BetVictor 1/5th 123

Kelso 3.43

A 7 runner novices’ handicap chase run over 2m 1f 14yds that looks there for the taking. It’s a race that I’m not that interested in but if forced for a selection it would be Heartbreak Kid for the irresistible McCain and Hughes combo. But it’s a race I’m happy to step away from so no bet here.

1.50 Newbury 

Very tricky race . No real stand out for me but going off ratings ….

Kildisart 9.6

Paint The Dream 9.16

Tamaroc Du Mathan 8.76

Very weary about Kildisart because he’s been off the track for over a year, but that’s why he’s 20/1 so I’ll play top two in this . 

Kildisart 3 points 20/1 , Paint The Dream 3 points 9/1 

Trends for the Greatwood Gold Cup (Newbury 1.50)

Forecast odds 9/2 - 6/1, 4 from 12

This reduces the field to 3, GLEN FORSA, SENIOR CITIZEN and TAMAROC DU MATHAN.

Weight greater than 11st 2lbs, 4 from 27. This removes GLEN FORSA.

Age 7 or 8, 5 from 30. This leaves TAMAROC DU MATHAN, available at 9/2.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:05 AM, richard-westwood said:

Changing tack ....I think for a shot at a decent sized win ....focusing on 2 or 3 runners from the ratings with bigger stakes ew or win  is a faster route to some nice wins ......base system is slow ....it works in long term.but you don't get those huge wins which I prefer ? so I think it's time to start shooting for the moon and filling the banks .....so its time to get serious now 

150 newb Saturday 

Senior citizen   8.6 7.0 

Dublin four  8.3  5.5 

Paint the dream  7.8 12.5 

Tamaroc du matthan 7.0 

Classy race and wide open ....all the horses are capable on a good day ....top 2 look particularly strong but paint the dream is slightly out of form but is capable if bouncing back and is in shouting dist on ratings ... I'll try 5pts on top 3 

1st 2nd 3rd from top 4 .....62.5 pts returned 

6 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

1.50 Newbury 

Very tricky race . No real stand out for me but going off ratings ….

Kildisart 9.6

Paint The Dream 9.16

Tamaroc Du Mathan 8.76

Very weary about Kildisart because he’s been off the track for over a year, but that’s why he’s 20/1 so I’ll play top two in this . 

Kildisart 3 points 20/1 , Paint The Dream 3 points 9/1 

1st 2nd and 4th 

I know there’s health and safety reasons for horse and jockey but it’s a real pain in the backside when fences/hurdles omitted. Really messes up a race and I’d rather not bet on the race . Only 4 hurdles to jump in the race at Kelso . Metier will be suited by it more than anyone .

Edited by Villa Chris

3 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

Turning jump racing into a joke this "low sun" BS. 13 billion years that bugger been there and last few years its a problem??????????????

It’s ridiculous a lot of the time too. There’s ways around it I’m sure . 

Edited by Villa Chris