** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Wednesday 25th Nov

An interesting day's racing for a Wednesday I feel.

The Hereford novice hurdles feature some possible future pretenders. The 12.05 and BUMPY JOHNSON is a bumper winner making his hurdles debut for David Pipe that he has talked about highly in recent stable files. Hes been well supported all ready and has a Gordon Elliot runner Getabay and Alan King's Fraternal to beat. They don't set that high a standard so he can be winning.

BUMPY JOHNSON 1 point win 15/8 betvictor

Division two at 12.40 features an even more talked about horse in the Emma Lavelle trained HOI POLLOI who won a Kempton NH flat race back in February but more interestingly was the stable mate who partnered Paisley Park at Newbury in their Ladbroke Trophy gallops day last week. When interviewed afterwards Emma Lavelle was quite bullish in her opinion of his talent. He's also been well backed and once again the standard against him doesn't look that strong.

HOI POLLOI 1 point win  5/4 bet365

1 point win double the pair.

No time for reasoning this afternoon I'm afraid - all prices Bet365:

11.45 Wetherby - 1pt e/w Loughermore @ 33/1

12.00 Lingfield - 2pts win Gold Standard @ 4/1

12.05 Hereford - 1pt e/w Buckskin @ 33/1

12.15 Wetherby - 1pt e/w Walkonby @ 14/1

1.10 Hereford - 1pt win Jennys Day @ 6/1

1.30 Lingfield - 0.5pts e/w American Craftsman @ 25/1

3.10 Lingfield - 2pts win Renbawi @ 11/2

One Trixie so far today

12.30 Lin Plantadream 85/40
1.40 Her Princess Midnight 2/1 (Hopefully no quarter given, ha ha)
2.00 Lin Nelson Gay 2/1

One £1.50 Trixie = £6 poss return of £83.81

One single bet:

2.25 Weth Joke Dancer £1.20 win at 5/1

Total stakes = £7.20

==========================================================================================

Once again I had no winners in my Trixie so a loss of £6.00.  The balance c/fwd is now £607.69 (£800 Bank).  The second tally is at -£16 c/fwd

The singles bet won by a short head so a £6 profit to pay for the Trixie today.  The balance c/fwd on singles is £150.68 (£400 Bank)

Four meetings tomorrow so lots to look at

Edited by The Equaliser
Results Update

3 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

One Trixie so far today

12.30 Lin Plantadream 85/40
1.40 Her Princess Midnight 2/1 (Hopefully no quarter given, ha ha)
2.00 Lin Nelson Gay 2/1

One £1.50 Trixie = £6 poss return of £83.81

One single bet:

2.25 Weth Joke Dancer £1.20 win at 5/1

Total stakes = £7.20

well done with Joke Dancer - bit of a sweat mind !!

7.10 Kempton - Jack D'Or - 10/1

Has a course and distance record of 313. 3rd off 75 last year, then won a maiden and had a long break. Back from his break was 3rd here off 74 in July and runs off 68 tonight after a few laboured efforts elsewhere. Has Marquand up and no reason why he shouldn't go close.

1 hour ago, The Brigadier said:

well done with Joke Dancer - bit of a sweat mind !!

Many thanks.  Haha, a short head is a bit longer than a nose.  I find it very annoying that I am basing my selections around top Timeform and RPR ratings alongside strong market support only to find that the less favoured horses in the market possibly produce the best results. 

It's early days with it though.

51 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

Many thanks.  Haha, a short head is a bit longer than a nose.  I find it very annoying that I am basing my selections around top Timeform and RPR ratings alongside strong market support only to find that the less favoured horses in the market possibly produce the best results. 

It's early days with it though.

Less favoured are probably the better value... Problem with RPR and time form is everyone had that information... Need information not everyone has or looks at for value.

2 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

710 kempton Giuseppe cassioli win 5.9 smarkets  and cashel e/w Betfair sp

Giuseppe is to improve with the pace and getting backed in so positive after 13th lto blunder. 

Cashel looked tidy at latter end of previous race and value Ew bet to me c and d

Giuseppe narrow 2nd and cashel narrowly missing the place ;-(

1 hour ago, Wildgarden said:

Less favoured are probably the better value... Problem with RPR and time form is everyone had that information... Need information not everyone has or looks at for value.

I don't disagree but quite often the top RPR/Timeform rating selection can be at long odds over 20/1.  Not sure that this makes the horse a value bet?  Possibly if a horse is favourite in the market and it is top rated then just as a horse running for a top yard or one that has a top class jockey on it for the first time can cause lots of extra cash to go on it may be a significant factor but I really am not sure that it all this pans out in the long run.  The betting markets are quite complex areas to predict where and what is causing a horse to be favourite.  More importantly, one still doesn't know if one is going to get a run for one's money.  As Jenny Pitman once said "It doesn't matter how much money you put on a horse, it won't make it run any faster".

1 hour ago, The Equaliser said:

I don't disagree but quite often the top RPR/Timeform rating selection can be at long odds over 20/1.  Not sure that this makes the horse a value bet?  Possibly if a horse is favourite in the market and it is top rated then just as a horse running for a top yard or one that has a top class jockey on it for the first time can cause lots of extra cash to go on it may be a significant factor but I really am not sure that it all this pans out in the long run.  The betting markets are quite complex areas to predict where and what is causing a horse to be favourite.  More importantly, one still doesn't know if one is going to get a run for one's money.  As Jenny Pitman once said "It doesn't matter how much money you put on a horse, it won't make it run any faster".

My picks are either system based or watching how horse ran last several races and ones I follow after some misfortune I pick up on in race like that I'm available today value seems to come from that long term. Heavily backed favourites can also be market manipulation false favourites so hard to judge sometimes ?

2 minutes ago, Wildgarden said:

My picks are either system based or watching how horse ran last several races and ones I follow after some misfortune I pick up on in race like that I'm available today value seems to come from that long term. Heavily backed favourites can also be market manipulation false favourites so hard to judge sometimes ?

I think that @Alley Cat Glover makes his money by watching re-run races over and again but I'm not sure.  Takes a lot of time though

4 hours ago, Trotter said:

away from Racing ........ just seen that Diego Maradona has died, aged 60

controversial in life but no doubt one of the greatest !

I was in a dodgy pub in Sheffield when he scored the "hand of God" goal, all hell broke out after the match, running battles with the boys in blue, the folly of youth !