Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StevieDay1983

Serie A 2017/18 Ante-Post Chat

6 posts in this topic

italyodds.jpg

Here are the ante-post odds for the 2017/18 Serie A season. Let's get some chat going! Does anybody fancy Roma to improve on last season and de-throne Juventus? Napoli are attractive at 6.00. Can the money at AC Milan see them challenge for the Scudetto?

@TastesLikeTuna, @discipline@Icongene, @betcatalog, @Pipoca@sajtion, @Vcg2007, @chris666, @WinningAdvice, @yoju82, @DrBetter, @KingSoccertips, @CloughandTaylor, @Punki85, @DW_United, @KikoCy, @vasilli07. @Simeon Borisof, @Simeone, @fat, @HastGill1, @clubgowi, @MPLouis, @Kumanovac, @AF13, @Jase82, @azzurini1976, and @TotoSchillaci, you all contributed to some quality Serie A discussion last season. What are your thoughts on these odds?

Mindfulness likes this

I've decided to cover this league once again in 2017-2018 after a year long hiatus. Following 2 soccer leagues in depth is probably the optimum for me personally, anything beyond that is too much as you need to try and watch games in full to get best info.

I watch games live when possible but it would be great if anyone's got any links to sites where you can watch back previous Serie A games or at worst highlights. It's a real pain when you wanna watch 2 or 3 games and they're all on at the same time.

@StevieDay1983 It's early doors but I do not fancy Roma to win the scudetto this year, although a lot will depend on the transfer window. Coach Luciano Spalletti has left for Inter while Roma have replaced him with Eusebio Di Francesco. Di Francesco worked wonders at Sassuolo and he will fit Roma perfectly in terms of their style of play. The problem in Italy is always the level of expectation from the fans, especially at the big clubs. If Di Francesco doesn't hit the ground running then the pressure will soon build.

For me he is a really good coach but at Sassuolo there wasn't much pressure or expectation as he turned a small time Serie B club into an established Serie A force. At Roma he will be expected to challenge for scudetto but that will be very difficult if they can't hold on to Rudiger, Nainggolan, Salah and co. Di Francesco is the right appointment for Roma but if things don't go well in the short term he will probably get the blame and then they will shoot themselves in the foot by sacking him.

Expect the Milan clubs to do better this year; Inter have a good coach in Spalletti and squad is already fairly strong whilst Milan are strengthening with some early aquisitions. Again, the biggest challenge they face is the pressure of expectation and self inflicted wounds.

For me Napoli is the biggest challenger to Juventus. Maurizio Sarri's team plays the best football in the division if not the world right now but can they be pragmatic enough and translate that into a league winning campaign? As good as they are to watch they do not have the strength in depth of Juventus squad wise. If Napoli don't sustain too many injuries they can be serious challengers for scudetto but competition overstretch could derail them.

Will post more in the comming weeks all being well. In the meantime congrats to Benevento who will be playing in Serie A for the first time in their history.

Beneventostemma.png

Edited by Mindfulness
StevieDay1983 likes this

18 hours ago, Mindfulness said:

@StevieDay1983 It's early doors but I do not fancy Roma to win the scudetto this year, although a lot will depend on the transfer window. Coach Luciano Spalletti has left for Inter while Roma have replaced him with Eusebio Di Francesco. Di Francesco worked wonders at Sassuolo and he will fit Roma perfectly in terms of their style of play. The problem in Italy is always the level of expectation from the fans, especially at the big clubs. If Di Francesco doesn't hit the ground running then the pressure will soon build.

For me he is a really good coach but at Sassuolo there wasn't much pressure or expectation as he turned a small time Serie B club into an established Serie A force. At Roma he will be expected to challenge for scudetto but that will be very difficult if they can't hold on to Rudiger, Nainggolan, Salah and co. Di Francesco is the right appointment for Roma but if things don't go well in the short term he will probably get the blame and then they will shoot themselves in the foot by sacking him.

Expect the Milan clubs to do better this year; Inter have a good coach in Spalletti and squad is already fairly strong whilst Milan are strengthening with some early aquisitions. Again, the biggest challenge they face is the pressure of expectation and self inflicted wounds.

For me Napoli is the biggest challenger to Juventus. Maurizio Sarri's team plays the best football in the division if not the world right now but can they be pragmatic enough and translate that into a league winning campaign? As good as they are to watch they do not have the strength in depth of Juventus squad wise. If Napoli don't sustain too many injuries they can be serious challengers for scudetto but competition overstretch could derail them.

Will post more in the comming weeks all being well. In the meantime congrats to Benevento who will be playing in Serie A for the first time in their history.

Beneventostemma.png

That's great news for Benevento. They were the first Italian club team I managed on Football Manager. They were way down back then. We are talking about a decade ago now.

My initial hopes for AC Milan to progress have been hampered by Donnarumma stating he wants to leave! It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Barcelona maybe? Or are they under another transfer ban? If I was Pep, I'd be on the ringer right now!

13 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

That's great news for Benevento. They were the first Italian club team I managed on Football Manager. They were way down back then. We are talking about a decade ago now.

My initial hopes for AC Milan to progress have been hampered by Donnarumma stating he wants to leave! It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Barcelona maybe? Or are they under another transfer ban? If I was Pep, I'd be on the ringer right now!

Donnarumma's done a runner  :drums

To be honest I don't think it will affect Milan's aspirations too much in the short term, it's just a blow to loose such a talented player for the long term as he will keep improving with age. All being well he will go on to be one of the worlds best keepers if not the best eventually.

Another thing I forgot to mention with regards to Roma is their keeper situation. Szczesny had a great season for them but his performances have gone under the radar compared to the likes of Donnarumma. Roma would have conceeded way more goals if it wasn't for his good work last year. Juventus and Inter are reportedly in for him so the Giallorossi will find it hard to retain his services. Szczesny is definately one of the unsung heros in Serie A right now.

StevieDay1983 likes this

Yes, I think AC Milan will play it hard ball with Donnarumma. If they play their cards right then I think someone could be willing to pay £50 million upwards for him. You can build a cracking spine of a squad with that money if you move shrewdly. I think AC Milan will definitely be stronger overall without Donnarumma. Bonus if they can keep him but it's not the end of the world if he leaves.