GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €1007.85)

GaF

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $167.19)

I say again - their weakness is your strength ......you WANT them to be playing badly - then it's just a question of working out how you can best profit from it - the better they play' date=' the harder it is to work out how to beat them....[/quote'] BTW don't get me wrong, I am not steaming, just amazed how poor some players are (and realising how poor I once was!) I know that posting here and playing in the (very) tough PL only games has made me a better player - I just to need to tweak my game back to a lower level and win my BR back I think I need to read this great article by Dan N some more http://www.montereyherald.com/danielnegreanu/ci_6618400?nclick_check=1 Damo ps thanks for the words of encouragement :)

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $122.18)

The further from optimally they play, the bigger your advantage over them ..... poeple cannot play so badly that they increase their chance against you (assuming your game can adjust...)
Though it is conceivable that their bad play could could reduce your chances. For example, if you are shoving a lot to take advantage of your fold equity and they call too much, then that benefits the other players rather than you. Of course, you could adjust and not shove so much, but if a lot of your advantage is down to your skill in exploiting your fold equity, then that could in theory eliminate your advantage over the other players. I actually doubt that this is likely to be enough in practice to outweigh the benefit of having a bad player in the game, but it's a theoretical possibility.

My last 9 games at $20 level 6' date='4,4,9,7,9,5,6,10 :@[/quote'] Know how you feel. My last 10 results at $5 - 9,5,4,4,4,9,9,4,2,5 :puke Then in my next two i come 2nd, then 1st :wall Consistency man, consistency!!!

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $122.18)

Their weakness is your strength ..... assuming your game is flexible enough to take advantage of their flaws.... The further from optimally they play, the bigger your advantage over them ..... poeple cannot play so badly that they increase their chance against you (assuming your game can adjust...) I agree with the top bit but not so sure about the bottom paragaph:unsure I struggle more against a absolute beginner than against a experienced player ,if they don't know what they are doing i have no chance:loon i would much rather be playing somebody in between the two ,who has read a few articles saying push, push,push and do so on every hand :)this type of player is easy to read and play and they usually just throw money at you:nana. i'm not saying aggressive is bad but uncontrolled constant aggression will kill you off very quickly against good solid players . like you say "their weakness is your strength " only using 1 strategy will show you their weak point much quicker than a newbie having no strategy at all:ok.

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $167.19) you built this in 3 days? I'm playing for months now and my nothing to something is still at $250 :lol. Maybe I'm playing too cautiously because if I lose I will have to start over again @ paradise freerolls which have 0 value, since I can't make deposits to anywhere :lol Congratulations mate I hope you keep it up..:clap

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $207.19)

nice1 gaf :ok getting up that ladder seems a bit easier when you've got a bit of roll behind you ,that 1st steps always the hardest.
Which is the main reason I just dont get it. I am sure most of us can miss out the boredom of the early stages and afford to step straight in at the dizzy heights of the $60 mark. Just read in poker player it took Chris Ferguson 7 months to get his bankroll stable at $6.50. JESUS- GET A LIFE! One thing GaF that is certainley of interest to me, is how long have you been at the tables to make this money?

Know how you feel. My last 10 results at $5 - 9,5,4,4,4,9,9,4,2,5
Last 9 - 2, 1, 1, 6, 2, 9, 3, 5, 1. Just a tiny alteration in my timing of going through the gears and the 4th's turn into 1st and 2nds! Don't worry Gaf not highjacking your thread just couldn't leave it like that, so there we go!

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $178.21) Can you believe i'm staying in to play poker particularly the focus game - the things i do! ;) Anyway harsh run there Gaf :( I've only really been playing STT consistently in the last couple of weeks and they can be an absolute bar steward in terms of results - the variance just effects results so badly it's can be really frustrating for a newbie, but i guess you're more used to these swings. Have you any methods to minimise the variance if that's at all possible?. But in reality SNG's can be a toin coss in themselves as one AK v AQ and you can be secured a place in the money but the next tourn it could be the other way around! Do you think multitabling can be a way of minimising the downswings and capitalising on the upswings?

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $178.21)

Have you any methods to minimise the variance if that's at all possible?.
I'm not sure I want to :unsure In cash games, yes, but in tournaments? I want to play to win more often and my gut feel is that you do that by increasing variance, whilst maintaining my ev ...... For example .... 10 tournaments - which do you prefer? a) 1st x 5 times, 5th x 5 times b) 1st x 2 times, 2nd x 2 time, 3rd x 2 times, 4th x 2 times and 5th x 2 times Scenario B has removed all variance - Scenario A maximises your variance. Scenario A is far more profitable than scenario B. Might be that there is a difference between variance within a game, and variance by games :unsure Above I'm referring to the variance within a game... Multitabling at a LOWER level than you usually play when single tabling will reduce the variance on your bankroll, whilst possible maintaining your profit... My next session is running bad too - actually, I'm running bad - I dont feel I'm playing well.....

Might be that there is a difference between variance within a game, and variance by games :unsure
Yes. As far as the volatility of your bankroll is concerned (your "variance by games"), all that matters is your rate of placing first and second. If you win 25% of the time and come second 25% of the time, then it makes no difference to the volatility of your bankroll whether you achieve this with a strategy that gives wild swings in your chip count or a steadier strategy where you build your bankroll slowly, avoiding risk. For a given ROI, there'll be less variance in your winnings if you achieve it with more second places, but really, in STTs, there's not a lot you can do to reduce the variance in your winnings. Apart from extreme cases, everybody will have roughly the same variance. This is very different from cash games. In the $5 games you've been playing, an average player who comes first 20% of the time and second 20% of the time will have a standard deviation of about $6.91 per game (the mathematical definition of variance is the square of the standard deviation, so this is a variance of 47.75 "square dollars"). In the 41 games you've played at $5, I make it that you have an average profit of about $2.43 and a standard deviation of about $7.22 ... a variance of 52.1 square dollars. Incidentally, this means you have a standard deviation of about $46.22 over these 41 games, with a profit of $99.50, so if you were a break even player, you'd be about 2 standard deviations above average.

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $178.21) Can I just ask why you play the 5 Man Speed Games ? I remember a thread on here a while ago that showed that the 9/10 Man STT's were more profitable - and I know your a person that tends to always to find the value tournaments, plus doesn't the Turbo element also increase the luck factor and reduce the skill factor. I always seem to play the 'Normal' Full Table STT's - what benefits does an 'Above Average Player' -like yourself gain from Short Handed Turbos. BTW I'm not saying its wrong (or right) I'd just like your opinion of where you think you gain an edge in these type of tourneys

I remember a thread on here a while ago that showed that the 9/10 Man STT's were more profitable
I dont recall that :unsure I play those table because it's where I believe that I maximise my profit (per hour, not per game).... My perception of my biggest strength is moving through the gears and cranking up the aggression in line with stack sizes (my perception of my biggest weakness is post flop play) - I feel the turbo's are where I can most leverage the edge I gain from my strengths.... Where do you gain your edge in these games? I believe that a significant proportion of players at these table play too loose early, and play too tight late - my edge comes through playing tighter than them early and looser than them late.....

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank $178.21) Haven't read all this thread but good luck Gaf. Bluesquare are offereing 10 cents giveaways. Several times I've built up a decent balance from playing them but I allow my wife to play this site on my username and she does my balance in every time. I turned nothing into $100 before by playing freeroll's so Bluesquare is a perfect way to do it. I also lifted £1000 out of Europoker but thats a different story (and they've changed their rules regards freeroll money) (edit was grammatical errors)

I'm noticing a definite difference in the standard/style of my opponents during the day (weekend) and at night (inc Weekend) :unsure Think I need to stick to the evenings....
In my challenge, my spreadsheet is telling me that weekends are better. Regarding time of day, I can normally only play during the day at weekends so I don't think those stats are much help.
Day#TTop 3ROI
Mon1450.0%81.8%
Tues1838.9%16.2%
Wed1533.3%21.2%
Thu1216.7%-24.2%
Fri2630.8%-2.1%
Sat2748.1%54.9%
Sun2962.1%103.8%
Time#TTop 3ROI
Night1233.33%-1.52%
Early Morning0#DIV/0!#DIV/0!
Morning540.00%-27.27%
Lunchtime1855.56%71.72%
Afternoon4126.83%-17.96%
Evening6550.77%84.62%
Good luck with this GaF. I've been reading with interest. I too am slightly surprised though that you are playing turbos. I'd have thought you'd have preferred the longer levels to allow your better play to come through. :unsure