** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €1007.85)

GaF

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €524.32)

You will be swapping places with me soon. I am having an aweful run today.
Sorry to hear that mate :sad Just make sure you stick to what you know is right, long term .... if you're not - take a few minutes/hours break....

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €524.32)

Sorry to hear that mate :sad Just make sure you stick to what you know is right, long term .... if you're not - take a few minutes/hours break....
I think its just one of those days. I think i have been outdrawn about 90% of the time today when I have gone in favourite. Ill get there I'm sure.

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €577.34) Gaf. Have you considered building your bank so you have enough money for 10 x €30+3 buy ins. So for you it would be €930 i guess before you move up to €30 games. For me to move to €20 games I will want €770 basically if I lose those 10 games I would still have my 50 buyins at €10.

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €577.34) I'm comfortable moving up to the €30 games if it doesn't represent more than 5% of my bankroll :ok And carrying on the theme from your thread :dude ***** Hand 795214892 ***** 100.00/200.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 19 October 2007 22:58:34 5 Player NL Speed (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: ValeDown (1345.00) Seat 3: suPARman (1055.00) Seat 4: Lauer136 (880.00) Seat 5: pinerousse (4220.00) pinerousse post SB 100.00 ValeDown post BB 200.00 ** Deal ** ValeDown [7s, 4h] suPARman [N/A, N/A] Lauer136 [N/A, N/A] pinerousse [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** suPARman Fold Lauer136 Fold pinerousse Call 200.00 ValeDown All-in 1345.00 pinerousse Call 1345.00 *** Flop(Board): *** : [3h, Ks, 7h] *** Turn(Board): *** : [3h, Ks, 7h, Kd] *** River(Board): *** : [3h, Ks, 7h, Kd, 9d] *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 2690.00 ValeDown [7s, 4h] Two pair kings and sevens Win: 2690.00 suPARman Fold Win: 0.00 Lauer136 Fold Win: 0.00 pinerousse [4d, Ac] Pair of kings Win: 0.00

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €676.72) Nice going GaF!:clapHadn't seen the thread for a couple of days, and you're on fire at the moment. One question. As you point out you are killing the €20 games, but losing the €30 games. Why do you think that is? Is it the standard of player, or are you playing (subconsciously) different?

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €676.72) The number of games I have played at €30 so far are nowhere enough to be significant or to draw any conclusions from. My belief (and it's a gut feel, I have no evidence to back it up) is that the €30 will be mostly the same people who played $30 and not the people who played $50. If that is the case, then I know I can beat the level. (if they are $50 players, then I know I will struggle to beat the level). The €30 games do start with 2000 chips now instead of 1500 - so that will require some adjustment by me, which may take a few games to get right. I also think that when I first hit the €20 games I struggled a little - I think that every level you step up, the play is slightly different and what you need to do to beat the level is slightly different - it takes a few games (a few losses) to get your game adjusted - the adjustments are small and subtle - I cannot tell you what they are!!! I believe that eventually I'll get it right and start beating the €30 level though.... I'm playing strict bankroll whereby I NEVER play STTs for more than 5% of what I have in the account (there may be a short "lag" against the totals displayed because of similtaneous games, but that impact is pretty insignificant) - I also always step up when my bankroll allows. What's the effect of this? I should find "my level" - I should settle around a point where I break even (my expectation is €1000 - I believe if I kept playing this way, I'd hit €1000 and stay there - moving up and down only with the ebbs and flows of natural variance). Obviously I dont want to break even, I want to make a profit!! So the way I'll achieve that is that when I believe I have hit my break even point, then I will make reqular withdrawals of x% every week, which should take me back down to a level I am profitable at...... Why this way and not simply use the 2+2 spreadsheet to find out where I make the maximum hourly profit and to play at that level? Because I do want to push myself and give myself the opportunity to play occasionally at a higher level than I should (and hopefully one day start beating it!!) without being a risk to my bankroll....

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €676.72) Just chalked up my first €30 win (Game 2 of the next batch) :) Which prompted me to get ahead of myself a bit and look at the €50 games - they go back to 1500 chips - I can only assume that they've made a mistake in the way they've set up the €30 games :unsure

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €676.72)

(if they are $50 players' date=' then I know I will struggle to beat the level).[/quote'] Any reason why you're so confident that you'd struggle? I played quite a few times at $50 (though full table non-turbo), didn't feel at all outclassed, and had a decent ROI, although not over a large enough sample to be statistically significant, admittedly. And you're a better player than I am. By the way, if you were right that you had -EV at €50 (and never improved enough to have +EV), then in the very long term you'd go broke with this strategy. Every time you stepped up to €50, you would eventually drop below a €1000 bank. And starting at just below €1000, there is a chance (probably very small) that you'll go broke before getting back to €1000. Since you'd be indefinitely repeating this, eventually that very small chance would come about.

Just chalked up my first €30 win (Game 2 of the next batch) :) Which prompted me to get ahead of myself a bit and look at the €50 games - they go back to 1500 chips - I can only assume that they've made a mistake in the way they've set up the €30 games :unsure
Hmm, it only seems to be the turbo games. The non-turbo ones stick at 2000 chips at €50.

Any reason why you're so confident that you'd struggle?
That was my experience on a batch of games I tracked - not a huge number of games, and not a huge loss, but it seemed to indicate I was struggling at the level.
By the way, if you were right that you had -EV at €50 (and never improved enough to have +EV), then in the very long term you'd go broke with this strategy. Every time you stepped up to €50, you would eventually drop below a €1000 bank. And starting at just below €1000, there is a chance (probably very small) that you'll go broke before getting back to €1000. Since you'd be indefinitely repeating this, eventually that very small chance would come about.
Surely this strategy decreases my chance of going broke? (If by going broke you mean all of the money I have in the account and all of the money I have withdrawn) - Basically the strategy keeps me playing more games at a lower level (with positive ev) and fewer games at a higher level (with negative ev)? That cannot increase my chances of going bust can it?

Surely this strategy decreases my chance of going broke? (If by going broke you mean all of the money I have in the account and all of the money I have withdrawn) - Basically the strategy keeps me playing more games at a lower level (with positive ev) and fewer games at a higher level (with negative ev)? That cannot increase my chances of going bust can it?
Sorry. Missed the bit about withdrawing. I was talking about the strategy of rigidly deciding the buy-in in terms of a percentage of your bank. Still, eventually (which might mean 10,000 years from now :tongue2) you'd be theoretically sure of losing everything in the account and would have to "rebuy" from your withdrawn profits or play a freeroll. Guess it doesn't sound too bad, put like that!

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €676.72) Cheers guys :) Next session not so hot though :sad

I played quite a few times at $50 (though full table non-turbo), didn't feel at all outclassed,
Just playing a game - we got to blinds of 300/600 (Starting stack 2000) with all 5 players still in!!! That suggests to me that the standard is quite good :unsure The €30 games definitely seems a big step up to me from the €20 games - players are sticking around quite a bit longer (far longer than is explained by the deeper stacks) 20071021highblindstz6.jpg

Just chalked up my first €30 win (Game 2 of the next batch) :) Which prompted me to get ahead of myself a bit and look at the €50 games - they go back to 1500 chips - I can only assume that they've made a mistake in the way they've set up the €30 games :unsure
Yeah... I kind of hoped the €30 would start on 2000 chips too, but no... it must have been a mistake when you played it. Looks like a good challenge you have going on there :ok

Re: GaF's Nothing to Something thread (Current Bank €542.75) If any of you want to take the sit and go only route... Bluesquare are offering 10 cents giveaways. You obviously need to be placed in several of these before you can afford to play a 10 cent STT but once you win a STT you won't look back. I'm currently playing here, balance on $1.50 but I won't move up to 20 cents STT's until i have 10 x the buy in for that level ($2.40). I'm hoping to turn this eventually into $1000. May take a while as I generally only play 1 or 2 STT's a day. I done a similar move on Paddy Power a year ago when I turned a $2 MTT win into $100 playing STT's and freerolls only. Very nice going GaF, excellent work for such a small space of time. BTW, quick tip, keep registering for the 10 cents giveaways and sit out. You'll hit the cash one time in 2 or 3 by sitting out.