** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Non-League Predictions > Aug 5th

nationalleagueodds.jpg

nonleaguenorth.jpg

nonleaguesouth.jpg

It's the first weekend of the new non-league season. This section was buzzing last year and we've already had a lot of interest leading up to this campaign. Here are the first set of fixtures for the National League. The odds for the other fixtures will be added once they become available. So, what do you all think ahead of these games?

@GazBlades, @Gidds, @tictok, @allthethings, @Tanktop, @amtopm, @sammydubs@the bastardian@bromsgrovegreen, @Woodgate, @Carl Iles, @dawwe92, @Kenton Schweppes, @TastesLikeTuna, @atish29, @MuineBheag, @Bronxie@misky, @Cheltenhamwhite, @canaries91, @HastGill1, and @Marc Kearney.

On 31/07/2017 at 10:43 AM, Cheltenhamwhite said:

Stevie,

Where are you seeing odds for South Shields? Aren't they Northern DIv 1 North? Your post looked like it was incomplete?

Cheers,

Cheltenhamwhite

Haha, apologies for that. I copied the member tags from the last weekend of last season so all those guys were made aware of the new thread going up. We do cover the lower leagues but those odds aren't available quite yet. They are usually released 48-72 hours before kick-off so we post them up then. So we just have the National League for now but will add others later this week. :ok

Hartlepool v Dover

When looking at the first set of matches all you can really go on is how you think both teams are going to get on during the season. I don't really think friendlies offer much of a guide, because playing for 3 points is very different from playing against some Football League sides U21's or a team from lower in the pyramid.  If you have read my ante-post preview then you will know I think Dover are an outside bet for going down this season and Hartlepool really should be looking at the play-offs. Without Ricky Miller you really do wonder where the goals are going to come from at Dover this season, and Hartlepool look to have a very good attacking line-up headed by Padraig Almond. I think the home side would be odds on for this game if it were later in the season so William Hills' 6/5 appeals.

Sutton United v Leyton Orient

The other relegated side Leyton Orient kick the season off as this game is live on BT Sport on Saturday lunchtime. Orient seem to be adding to their squad everyday at the moment as they try and get the strength of depth they need to compete at the top end of the table. They have put a decent looking first 11 together, but it worries me that it has all been a bit of a rush and this is a very tricky game to start their season with. Now I certainly think Sutton have been over-rated in the ante-post markets, but their home form was so good last season. They only lost 4 times and conceded just 25 goals in the process. This will also be Orient's first ever competitive game on a 3G pitch which could be an issue, especially given how strong Sutton were on it last season. Orient are being backed and that means Sutton are drifting and aren't far away from being 2/1 with Marathon which looks a value play.

Spennymoor v Stockport

As mentioned in my ante-post preview I think Spennymoor could go well this season. They would have got closer to Blyth, but for a very busy schedule and they are a well funded side. They kick their first ever season at this level by playing the biggest club (supporter wise) at this level in Stockport. This is the 5th season that County have been at this level and they haven't even been in the play-offs yet. I think they should do this season, but Spennymoor could sneak in there as well and at over 2/1 with Marathon the home side look a value bet.

Bognor Regis v Bath

I think the home side are really going to struggle this season. They were promoted via the play-offs from the Ryman Premier last season, but then their manager left them the next day to join Eastbourne. They then hired one of the players who decided at the end of June that he wasn't able to do the job combined with his everyday job. I think they might be a bit under prepared coming into the season and like I say I think they are set for a season of struggle this season anyway. Bath on the other-hand look set to be at the other end of the table and they look to have their strongest side since being back at this level. The play-offs look a reasonable target and at 33/20 (Marathon) I am happy to take them to get their season off to a flyer.

Agree with addpea on the Sutton v Leyton Orient and Bognor v Bath games. Saw a bit of Sutton last year and they were a solid, attacking outfit. They will miss Deacon but the pitch will be a huge advantage.

Watched Bath at Yate last Saturday and saw them a number of times last season. Gary  Owers is a shrewd, well connected manager who plays the loan market well. He has kept key players from last year, particularly Andy Watkins and Marvin Morgan and added well with Anthony Straker joining from Aldershot. GK position not bottomed out yet but I like them for the playoffs.

Oxford City v St. Albans. I saw them in the middle of their horror run last year. They looked a decent side woefully short on confidence. I think they will build on the end of last season's mini recovery and Ian Allinson has strengthened the squad.Should  have too much for perennial under achievers Oxford City.

Edited by Foinavon

Dagenham look on the short side to me and it would have to be something very special for me to want to take an odds on price at this stage of the season. Don't have any strong views yet on Eastbourne or Braintree, both look mid-table sides if I had to say now, but prepared to be wrong on that one.

3 hours ago, Foinavon said:

Agree with addpea on the Sutton v Leyton Orient and Bognor v Bath games. Saw a bit of Sutton last year and they were a solid, attacking outfit. They will miss Deacon but the pitch will be a huge advantage.

Watched Bath at Yate last Saturday and saw them a number of times last season. Gary  Owers is a shrewd, well connected manager who plays the loan market well. He has kept key players from last year, particularly Andy Watkins and Marvin Morgan and added well with Anthony Straker joining from Aldershot. GK position not bottomed out yet but I like them for the playoffs.

Oxford City v St. Albans. I saw them in the middle of their horror run last year. They looked a decent side woefully short on confidence. I think they will build on the end of last season's mini recovery and Ian Allinson has strengthened the squad.Should  have too much for perennial under achievers Oxford City.

Oxford have of course put down a 3G pitch so it will be interesting to see if that helps them out. Having tipped St Albans for the title they do look a big price, but Oxford look stronger than last season so happy to leave alone.

• StevieDay1983 changed the title to Non-League Predictions > Aug 5th
10 hours ago, addpea said:

Oxford have of course put down a 3G pitch so it will be interesting to see if that helps them out. Having tipped St Albans for the title they do look a big price, but Oxford look stronger than last season so happy to leave alone.

Playing on a 3G pitch regularly definitely gives teams a home advantage more so than grass. However, it's then a lot more difficult for a team that plays 3G regularly to switch to playing on grass. One thing I'm interested to see is whether this transition from 3G to grass every week impacts injuries. I manage and play in a team that has had to switch playing surface regularly throughout a season and it certainly saw us suffer more injuries due to the wear and tear changing surfaces has on the muscles. Oxford could well be prolific at home and struggle away but if this injuries factor does come into play then it could damage their form even more so.