Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

Yes' date=' I think he said Mince was over above his ideal racing weight. If I recall Mince was initially favorite and drifted prior to the off. Cityscape was pretty similar, 3/1 early in the week before doubling in price at off time.I made similar comments in regards to last year's Irish Champion Stakes where Ouija Board beat the favorite Nathaniel. John Gosden said the race was not the main target for Nathaniel!! There majority of the money was on Gosden's horse hence why it was favourite, hasn't he got a duty to punters who subsidize the sport?[/quote'] Whoneedsrio had backed Mince and expected a good run. It seemed like Charlton knew the horse would do nothing and you are right, if the horse isn't fit the punter should really be made aware. It's like backing Lewis Hamilton to win an F1 grand prix and then finding out his car has no petrol in it. I realise they might sometimes need a run but don't put punters away.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread The undulations are really quite pronounced when you look all the way up the straight from the rails. Can be quite deceptive. I think it's often a big advantage for 2yo maidens to have had a run before the race because they can be a bit all at sea early on at Ripon. Course will always have a soft spot from me though being my most local and visited track.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread It looks to be the race of the season so far I think, if this would be the final line-up on Sunday: LATEST PRICES FROM PADDY POWER Etihad Airways Irish 1,000 Guineas 3 Just The Judge, 5 Maureen, Moth, 6 Big Break, Snow Queen, Viztoria, 7 Just Pretending, 8 Harasiya, 12 What Style, 16 Rehns Nest, 20 Hanky Panky, 25 Bunairgead, 33 Exactement, Masarah, Mizzava, Uleavemebreathless, 50 Dubaya, Harpist Obviously I quite fancy Viztoria as I have an ante-post bet on her @10/1. But I thought Maureen ran with loads of credit and was a bit unlucky in the English equivalent. Moth as well, also didn't get the best of races. Big Break will be really interesting to see. Weld should have her fit, no doubt. She looked really smart last year. Just The Judge the correct favourite on form, but I think not the best horse in the race and too short in my mind.

As far as they go, a great jumps season came to an end today. Highlight for me was Hurricane Fly regaining his Champion Hurdle crown which lended a much needed boost to the finances. Selfishly, I'm glad it's all over and am very much looking forward to the long, long flat season and some decent weather!! Let's see what's on offer tomorrow..... 3 JUMPS MEETINGS & NONE ON THE LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :wall:sad:cry:rollin Imposed light day then..... Been said a million times and nothing I say will make a jot of difference but I do feel the Racing Calender could be improved - alot!!
Forgive me.... 4 Flat meetings today on the green stuff. Tomorrow we are offered 1/2 a meeting on Turf and 2 1/2 on the Sand. It's almost June. I'm sure that the powers that be have a very good reason for this continued shambles - I'd just like to hear it because given my obvious lack of understanding concerning how this industry expects to keep supporting itself and attract new patrons to the sport. Completely beyond me.... I've got a headache and I've only looked at one race!! :eek Good Luck anyone that can get through tomorrows fare....

Forgive me.... 4 Flat meetings today on the green stuff. Tomorrow we are offered 1/2 a meeting on Turf and 2 1/2 on the Sand. It's almost June. I'm sure that the powers that be have a very good reason for this continued shambles - I'd just like to hear it because given my obvious lack of understanding concerning how this industry expects to keep supporting itself and attract new patrons to the sport. Completely beyond me.... I've got a headache and I've only looked at one race!! :eek Good Luck anyone that can get through tomorrows fare....
Couldnt agree more... Probably the worst days racing I have seen for a while and yet on Thursday they have Haydock, Sandown, Salisbury and Goodwood all on at the same time of which the last three arent really that far apart in the grand scheme of things. Its like they draw it out of a hat!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread The Derby and Oaks trails at Goodwood seems to have lost their way in recent years. Trainers no longer send their classic contenders for the 2 principle races. Yesterday's Lupe or whatever it's called now had no Oaks entries in the top 3, not sure if the unplaced horses are entered or not. The main event today has only 2 runners now, both not entered in the Derby. It seems it is heading down the same route as the now defunct Thirsk Derby trails. Not sure what the solution is, prizemoney? Close proximity to Epsom? Or simply the track?

The Derby and Oaks trails at Goodwood seems to have lost their way in recent years. Trainers no longer send their classic contenders for the 2 principle races. Yesterday's Lupe or whatever it's called now had no Oaks entries in the top 3, not sure if the unplaced horses are entered or not. The main event today has only 2 runners now, both not entered in the Derby. It seems it is heading down the same route as the now defunct Thirsk Derby trails. Not sure what the solution is, prizemoney? Close proximity to Epsom? Or simply the track?
Nice post.

What the **** is it with 3 jump meetings on a Sunday!?! Load of ****!
Having moaned about htis a few times now, I got in touch with Timeform Radio on Wednesday (3 AW meetings, none on turf) to ask wtf was going on? The guy said that courses dictate which days they want to race on and the BHB or whomever do the fixtures are powerless to stop the dross all arriving on the same day or Sailisbury & Goodwood racing in the same day etc. as they would be hauled over the coals by the 'Fair Trading Commission'. Have never heard anything so ridiculous. It's possible that I could have attended Sandown, Goodwood or Salisbury on Thursday. If they had been spaced out (Goodwood and Salisbury similar tracks too!) then I may have gone to all 3! Not fair on horses or connections that want a fair crack of the whip and the courses are costing themselves entries, runners and paying public to attend their meetings. Here's an idea!? Talk to each other. Radical I know. The industry is on it's worst footing for a long time imho and needs to take a long hard look at itself. Drugs, non-triers, corruption etc etc. Love the sport but I dread to think where it might be in 5 years time at this rate. As for the Fair Trading Commission - great example of why I work for myself!! The point where I was told I couldn't change a clock because I had to fill out a 'ladder risk assessment' first was the day I'd had enough of working for someone else!! :@

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread i had a similar conversation with some mates the other night, my view is how do trainers justify taking horses so far on the road say 300 or 400 miles round trip or further sometimes with just 1 or 2 runners. The owners must be forking out a fortune. ten years ago we had a horse with hobbs @ £1600 a month!!! That covered all costs but it wasnt a worldbeater and we needed to win decent prizes just to get some money back on the horse Now owners are faced with races worth £1--£2k to the winner, its all madness to me. Surely best to regionalise certain parts of racing which we seem to be heading towards i.e. unless the meeting is graded as say 1, the others graded 2 & 3 would then be regionalised for trainers and staff to not have to travel so far and perhaps save a few bob which would then surely be good for racing and its owners.

i had a similar conversation with some mates the other night, my view is how do trainers justify taking horses so far on the road say 300 or 400 miles round trip or further sometimes with just 1 or 2 runners. The owners must be forking out a fortune. ten years ago we had a horse with hobbs @ £1600 a month!!! That covered all costs but it wasnt a worldbeater and we needed to win decent prizes just to get some money back on the horse Now owners are faced with races worth £1--£2k to the winner, its all madness to me. Surely best to regionalise certain parts of racing which we seem to be heading towards i.e. unless the meeting is graded as say 1, the others graded 2 & 3 would then be regionalised for trainers and staff to not have to travel so far and perhaps save a few bob which would then surely be good for racing and its owners.
Exactly, it surely makes no sense to any of the parties involved to have the racing staged as it is now.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread While I'm having a look at it, I thought I'd mention that there have been 9 seperate winners from the field of 17 that took part in a Newmarket fillies maiden in April (1:45 on 18/4/13). Keep an eye out for the winner, Fireblaze and 2nd placed Blhadawa. They were only a neck apart and are yet to race again. There has actually been 21 runs from this race, for the 9 wins. Backing all of them would have given you a profit of 5.41pts. 4th placed Kiyoshi ran last week and won at 8/11.

I watch all mine on bet365' date=' best place there is imo.[/quote'] Thanks SER - I was hoping to grab previous races as opposed to ones live. Betfair and Betdaq not working - nor is ATR, sportinglife or Racing UK so must be a problem with the providers....

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread They've put the money down on Above Standard in the 4.10 at Redcar, as big as 14s earlier today. Few hours and non runners later, best price 3/1. Was punted off the boards when last seen on the all weather, landed a big gamble winning easily over 6f before being beaten next time out, travelled like a dream though if I remember correctly, 5f sure to suit.

Thanks SER - I was hoping to grab previous races as opposed to ones live. Betfair and Betdaq not working - nor is ATR' date=' sportinglife or Racing UK so must be a problem with the providers....[/quote'] You can watch replays on 365, they've got a racing archive, have done for years. But ye, they probably use the same servers or whatever as the ones you've already tried.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Sad to hear that Tom O'Ryan is in intensive care with some serious injuries following a freak accident at home Tom is a RP jornalist but better known as RUK's man in the north.............he usually presents coverage from the northern meetings all the best Tom............:hope

Sad to hear that Tom O'Ryan is in intensive care with some serious injuries following a freak accident at home Tom is a RP jornalist but better known as RUK's man in the north.............he usually presents coverage from the northern meetings all the best Tom............:hope
Very sad to hear. My favourite man on Racing UK. So hope he gets soon well again. :hope