** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread My twopence...Without a doubt if Sky Lantern is on his inside at the 2 marker,,,He wins the race for me,,,SL stops EK going even further left, thus losing more ground, for me SL would have won by 3/4, min...In any other country in the world,,,Amended result, and lets not forget the intimidation ....But these are English stewards, the inconsistancys...are mind blowing......If it was a 2k race around wolves on a Friday night, you bet it would have been changed....But with most bookies doing FPP and amended,,,it would have cost them fortunes...Gets you thinking who the stewards are batting for!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

My twopence...Without a doubt if Sky Lantern is on his inside at the 2 marker' date=',,He wins the race for me,,,SL stops EK going even further left, thus losing more ground, for me SL would have won by 3/4, min...In any other country in the world,,,Amended result, and lets not forget the intimidation ....But these are English stewards, the inconsistancys...are mind blowing......If it was a 2k race around wolves on a Friday night, you bet it would have been changed....But with most bookies doing FPP and amended,,,it would have cost them fortunes...Gets you thinking who the stewards are batting for![/quote'] Exactly my opinion Primevil, only you explained it much better.

Wow!!! :eek Emma Spencer upping her game to compete with Gina.... :p
You can't say a thing like that and not post pics! :D Been working non-stop since 2 weeks on Monday, not had time to bet much at all. Maybe the break will do me good..

You can't say a thing like that and not post pics! :D Been working non-stop since 2 weeks on Monday, not had time to bet much at all. Maybe the break will do me good..
Be happy with what you got scotty... :rollin

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Just one point from todays big race, that none of the RUK or CH4 picked on, which I thought was valid....Elusive Kate has most in her life drifted to the left when under pressure...In a 4 horse race, does anyone else think...Hughes should have been better positioned .?.given he done his homework!

Just one point from todays big race' date=' that none of the RUK or CH4 picked on, which I thought was valid....Elusive Kate has most in her life drifted to the left when under pressure...In a 4 horse race, does anyone else think...Hughes should have been better positioned .?.given he done his homework![/quote'] Yes, that crossed my mind actually. I do think he should have switched to the inside, then there would have been no trouble. In saying that, a horse should be entitled to run in a straight line without interference, and going by the book Kate should have been disqualified. Do i think Hughes gave Sky Lantern a poor ride? Yes.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread pricewise selection for saturday are 6 for Segal on Sat 1.55 Ascot Taajub 10/1 1.55 Ascot Barnet Fair 12/1 2.30 Ascot Afsare 15/2 2.55 York Educate 10/1 3.15 Newmarket Es Que Love 12/1 3.50 Newmarket Sole Power 9/1

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Mickael Barzalona has some very decent rides at HQ, write him off at your peril. [TABLE=class: tbl t3 mobile-collapse, width: 100%]

[TR] [TD=class: ixt]14:05 13th Jul 13[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Newmarket[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]1m[/TD] [TD=align: center]C2[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Muharrib (IRE)[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Saeed bin Suroor[/TD] [TD=align: center]sui.gif 13/2[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]14:40 13th Jul 13[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Newmarket[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]7f[/TD] [TD=align: center]C1[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Outstrip[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Saeed bin Suroor[/TD] [TD=align: center]sui.gif 5/2[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]15:15 13th Jul 13[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Newmarket[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]7f[/TD] [TD=align: center]C2[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]My Freedom (IRE)[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Saeed bin Suroor[/TD] [TD=align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]15:50 13th Jul 13[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Newmarket[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]6f[/TD] [TD=align: center]C1[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Shamexpress (NZ)[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Danny O'brien[/TD] [TD=align: center]sui.gif 16/1[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]16:25 13th Jul 13[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Newmarket[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]6f[/TD] [TD=align: center]C2[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Emirates Flyer[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Saeed bin Suroor[/TD] [TD=align: center]sui.gif 0/0[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: ixt]17:35 13th Jul 13[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Newmarket[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]1m 4f[/TD] [TD=align: center]C3[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Cat O'mountain (USA)[/TD] [TD=class: ixt]Saeed bin Suroor[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I think it is very poor race planning to have so many Gr1 tracks staging meetings this weekend. Chepstow , Newmarket , York , Ascot and also the prestigous Chester. There were so many top races today , that it was a fabulous day of racing. However I do think they should have been spaced out over separate different days because on some Saturdays the highlight of the day is just a listed race. Today we saw the Bunbury Cup, John Smiths Magnet Cup , July Cup as well as a handful of Group , listed and expensive handicaps. The first 3 named have in the past been the days main event, so why have these on one afternoon? Also I wish they would keep the midweek Group 1 races rather than moving them to Saturday. If it carries on the midweek races will just be the bread and butter races which is of no importance if punters miss them or not. Maybe in the near future the Cheltenham Gold Cup will be held on a Saturday too.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread That's it tho...More people in the course, more exposure on TV, More Money....Alas the schedule is not there for the DAY in DAY out punter...and the courses could not give a hoot, when York Chester n Newmarket is rammed....The majority of keen racegoers would not go on a Friday night or a Saturday in the summer...For fear of a pint being tipped over their head for a laugh!...Sad but true.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread It does appear that on course now, it's all about the drink. Good fun I'm sure but it's pretty shoddy! Walked briskly around 20 bookmakers the other day - all 9/4 the fav - no discrepencies whatsoever. Sadly, it's an economic necesity that the courses have to concentrate on the drinkers and profit as opposed to cater for the punter - and that means weekend racing. Nearly all serious punters are sat behind a screen - u have to be to stand any chnace of keeping up with the sheer volume. Of those that are betting on course, I'm sure the Bookmaker would rather take them on when they are tanked up as opposed to sober and thinking rationally. I'd estimate that around 80% of my turnover is done on a Saturday with the fixture list as it is.... And I say Saturday - but yestrday 95% of that was done in a ridiculous 90 minute time slot!! I agree with your sentiment Erhaab but it's not changing anytime soon. The punter/racing fan is fast becoming the minority on course.

It does appear that on course now, it's all about the drink. Good fun I'm sure but it's pretty shoddy! Walked briskly around 20 bookmakers the other day - all 9/4 the fav - no discrepencies whatsoever. Sadly, it's an economic necesity that the courses have to concentrate on the drinkers and profit as opposed to cater for the punter - and that means weekend racing. Nearly all serious punters are sat behind a screen - u have to be to stand any chnace of keeping up with the sheer volume. Of those that are betting on course, I'm sure the Bookmaker would rather take them on when they are tanked up as opposed to sober and thinking rationally. I'd estimate that around 80% of my turnover is done on a Saturday with the fixture list as it is.... And I say Saturday - but yestrday 95% of that was done in a ridiculous 90 minute time slot!! I agree with your sentiment Erhaab but it's not changing anytime soon. The punter/racing fan is fast becoming the minority on course.
There are still a few on course bookies making an effort to offer the correct odds. Only the other week at York nearly all the bookies were 1/5 and 1/6 in the big handicaps but a handful were going 1/4. Even if you're there on the beer it seems madness that a punter goes up and has £5 ew on a horse and takes 1/6 ew when the bookies next door are 1/4. They are all traders now anyway rather than bookies and as you say they all stand in line with a uniform price that they are laying off on Betfair with their 2 laptops set up. The market is made for them by the exchanges, they don't form it themselves any more. It was only a few years ago I saw an on course bookie pricing up from a RP paper tissue that was well out of line. I bet on course but use a handful of bookies that offer correct odds - Geoff Banks, Nick Corbett, Paul Johnson mainly. They are all on Twitter and you can have some good banter with them. Corbett Sports said they made a fortune from Chester and York yesterday but it was full of drunken once a year punters. John Smiths Cup day at York is chaos and mainly about the booze for most. Whoneedsrio was saying there is a Betfair lounge at one of the courses where you can log on to your account and bet online (might have been Ascot). I mentioned before about Wifi lounges being the way forward but they will kill off on course bookies. I went to Ripon last Monday and you have to go all the way around the back of the stand to get from parade ring to betting ring. I didn't have time so I backed Duke Of Yorkshire with William Hill through one of their windows like the tote windows. I wrote 6-4 on the slip as 6-4 was showing on the screen and was told it was SP only, which ended up 5-4 and cost me a few quid. The other option would have been Riponbet but you get SP less 10% but it has been known to be nearer less 20%. Why would I bother using Riponbet? I'll be back there next Saturday but getting a 3g signal can be impossible at times so if you haven't already got your bets on then you're relying on getting a price at the course. I tend to bet in the maiden races on course only after seeing them parade.
The punter/racing fan is fast becoming the minority on course.
The music showcases don't help and probably atttract the wrong types but they do make an effort with family days where you can meet the retired racehorses etc (and peppa pig if you're lucky). I wish they would use Sundays better, we end up with loads of NH summer jumps cards with 6 runners per race and fixtures like Saturday where they are all crammed into one day. Newmarket, Ascot, Chester, York on one day so why not split it, 2 northern, 2 southern on Saturday and Sunday instead? Don't see as much cash on course these days but one punter had £500 ew on Baltic Knight at Donny in cash when it was beaten by Remote. The bookies must still make a few quid or they wouldn't bother turning up would they?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I made an effort to watch C4 yesterday for a change because its in HD and superb quality but they crammed the races in so much you hardly got to see the horses before they were entering the stalls, its beyond me how they think this is actually what the Racing punter wants. Surely with a limited audience they should just concentrate on the few big races, spread them out and give them good coverage. Its was all a blur in the end and not very enjoyable in what should have been a terrific saturday afternoons viewing. Talking of summer jumps, i love it personally but they even manage to balls that up, no jumps on Friday/Saturday and 3 on sunday with two in the midlands which cocked each others cards up. I know they tend not to have flat cards following a Group 1 Saturday but its just barmy the whole racing calendar. Was going to go to Stratford today but saw it was family fun day so stayed away, i saw the crowds on the TV and knew i'd made the right decision, it was heaving so you can see why these small tracks bid for the Sunday cards and they just cater for the people who will spend money on food and drink and dont give a monkeys what card they end up with.

I think it is very poor race planning to have so many Gr1 tracks staging meetings this weekend. Chepstow , Newmarket , York , Ascot and also the prestigous Chester. There were so many top races today , that it was a fabulous day of racing. However I do think they should have been spaced out over separate different days because on some Saturdays the highlight of the day is just a listed race. Today we saw the Bunbury Cup, John Smiths Magnet Cup , July Cup as well as a handful of Group , listed and expensive handicaps. The first 3 named have in the past been the days main event, so why have these on one afternoon? Also I wish they would keep the midweek Group 1 races rather than moving them to Saturday. If it carries on the midweek races will just be the bread and butter races which is of no importance if punters miss them or not. Maybe in the near future the Cheltenham Gold Cup will be held on a Saturday too.
Nice to see many of the racing fraternity reading my post and making comments via the front page of the Racing Post in agreement to what I posted the other day. Many top figures blasted the decision to hold many top races in one afternoon , and they also agreed with my comment of moving the July Cup to a Saturday. I was a bit surprised not many members replied in agreement or disagreement.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread South Africa's top rated horse, What A Winter, who also is the highest rated sprinter in the world at the moment I think (he was until recently at least, so rating might have changed, not 100% sure), ran his final race last Saturday in the Grade 1 Mercury Sprint. He could only manage to finish 3rd, after he was unbeaten in four starts this year. He's a 3x Grade 1 winner (plus a couple of Grade 2's and placed efforts in highest grades) over distances from 1.000-1.200m, which is an unbelievable competitive sphere in South Africa. He retires to stud now. All Is Secret won the Mercury Sprint btw., a multiple Grade 1 winner herself... http://youtu.be/0P_o_Jj1luM

http://youtu.be/0P_o_Jj1luM

There are a couple of other race videos from the biggest races from last week (Singapore Derby, German Group 2 etc.) on my blog in the section "Racing Around The Globe" to find, btw.: http://horseracing-international.blogspot.ie/2013/07/racing-around-globe.html

Sleep in this game at your peril! Declan Carroll had had four 2yo maidens run for him this year prior to today. Two wins, one place. Duran Fentiman also has a pretty good strike rate with 2yos. So Pull The Plug gets put in an ew shortlist, which I forget about and it goes on to win at 66/1! Sent from my GT-I9100 using PL Forum

Telescope. Whoosh. Good to see him back with a bang. Hard to know what to make of the form but was visually impressive and was just outside the course record. Hope he can kick on from here and land a big race.
Very impressive absolutely hacked up. The other two horses in the race looked open to improvement and to win by 24 lengths looks like an exceptional performance.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I will wish the TALENT backers the very best of luck, she's in the race and does have a massive chance, BUT the 14/1 - 12/1 & 10 on''Just Pretending'' looks a nice price worth taking a chance on, its a wide open race and any punter writing off Poker face O'Brien has clearly been at the crazy pills. He won the race in 2006 & 2007 -Just Pretending met some trouble in the ribblesdale, she was still not far away from the winner Riposte,when the both of them met at Ascot they were both 9/2 but today one is 11/4 joint Fav and the other is mostly around the 12/1 mark. Its very hard to see Just Pretending out the first three home. Would you trust this man ? 00036689-642.jpg

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Funny what happens in fields of eight or nine runners again and again, when one or two runners pull out late to bring the field down to seven and e/w opportunities vanishing as a result. All coincidence of course I suppose. o.O

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Unbelievable stuff in Hoppegarten, Germany today! 18 year amateur rider Dennis Schiergen wins the Group 1 Großer Preis von Berlin on Nymphea from the front. He set a strong pace it looked like, they were up to 20! lengths in front for a while, turned for home with a huge advantage and stayed all the way to the line. You have to wonder what the rest of the field was thinking as they didn't take Nymphea serious, even though they set a fast pace and when I watched it I thought myself they'd never come home. Amazing story anyway, an 18 year old, who is only an amateur (son of Peter Schiergen though) wins one of the biggest Group 1's of German racing.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Absolute masterpiece and overwhelming the new Summerhill_Stud Sire film! If you've half an hour to spare I can't encourage you enough to watch it. Absolute stunning pictures of landscape and horses that goes along so well with the music and the voice of Mick Goss. Btw. the newest Summerhill acquisition is the formerly Aiden O'Brien trained Await The Dawn... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhkAVs2DauY