Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!!

Appreciate this may have been done before but hopefully not too recently! If it has then please do delete the thread!! Mine are Arazi (pictureed above) - french 2yo from around 1991 I think - did most things on the bridle before winning with ease and won 7 races as a 2yo, 4 at Group One Level. His demolition of Bertrando et al in the Breeders Cup Juvenille was like something from a film! If you had seen it in a film you would have scoffed at it as ridiculous... Sythed through the whole feild before moving up to the favoutite on the home turn, ran marginally wide and as the commentator says, 'just ran right by him'!! Unfortunatly, he never really trained on but was the horse that got me hooked, led me to manage a Bookmakers for 6 years and to post on here now!:lol Harchibald would have changed my life at the time... I had been doublng him up with every bet I had since Boxing Dayin 2005 leading towards the Champion HUrdle, so you can imagine how much I was involved come Cheltenham and Carberry taking a pull towards the last. I had gone beyond shouting and given how easy he was going was struggling not to grin from ear to ear! I had given everyone presents of Ante-Post bets on the horse and despite it's character coming to the fore in subseqent races, I still would have rather seen him kicked on that day. Would definatly have traded at 1.01 if Betfair was up n running... Still wistful watching it now....

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! My favourite racing horse has been Varenne of course but that's another sport :) As far as concerned flat I have had one of my best has to be Lammtarra. Unforgettable emotions that year (1995) with the Epsom Derby (in a fantastic record time beaten only by Workforce a lot of years later), the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Royal Ascot (beating Pentire in a super fighting finish) and finally l'Arc de Triomphe. As Frankie said once he was a lion. So good (unbeaten) on track and so bad as a stallion (I guess he was bought for more than 30mil from a Japanese stud and sold back for quite little money after a lot of years of disappointment considering his excellent bloodlines and his super achievements on turf). As far as concerned jumping surely Denman. The horse who really pushed me to follow more and more that sphere in the last few years. The tank!

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! That Arazi Breeders Cup is certainly one of my all time favourite single races.........what a performance ! But for all time favourite horses I'm going for a couple of fairly obvious ones........ Flat - Dancing Brave. Magnificent specimen, devastating turn of foot, should have won the Derby (poor old Greville was dogged by that for the rest of his life), won pretty much everything else. Jumps - Desert Orchid - 'nuff said.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! flat -MONTJEU ......one of the greatest middle distance horses ive ever seen .....seemed to command the turf every time i saw him and i followed him all season and won a sizeable amount of money in the arc when he just flew ..definately the frankel of his era ........has sired numerous top class horses including this years pour moi ......just an all time superstar jumps -DESERT ORCHID just an amazing horse with a will of sheer iron ......never gave in no matter what .......had the rare ability to take charge of any race and just run the opposition into submission with his superb jumping and breathtaking cruising speed .......his beating of panto prince giving that one 21lbs is in my opinion the greatest single performance of a jumps horse in history and ive never seen one like it since

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Although there's been several I've enjoyed watching over the years, my favourite flat horse has to be Persian Punch. Over jumps is hard as I prefer the flat, I'd probably lean towards Inglis Drever who had to overcome the handicap of being trained by JHJ and still turned in top class gutsy performances

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Flat Lammtarra , trained as a 2YO by the promising Alex Scott who was murdered . He was then trained by S B Suroor , himself a first season trainer having taken over the Godolphin operation from H Abrahim . Won the Epsom Derby under W R Swinburn first time out !! , who was then replaced by Dettori who then won the King George and then Arc. S B Suroor was mocked by all the media especially Claude Duval saying the training was actually done by others like Jeremy Noseda and he was only an ex policeman and only a frontman. By the end of 1995 everyone took note of S B suroor who cleaned up in the Gr1 division. Lammtarra immediately retired to stud in Japan and was not a success producing only a few donkeys. Jumps One Man , trained by G Richards , in the Al Ferof colours of John Hales ,arguably one of the most popular grays of that era . A very good novice , went on to win the Henessy , 2 King George Chases , had 2 attempts at the Gold Cup but failed to stay the extra 2 furlongs , however came back the following year to win the Champion Chase !! A mistake by B Harding the following month led to his death at Aintree , this would be followed by the death of G Richards a few months later. Didn't make much from a punting perspective but they were a joy to follow.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Flat: Borderlescott - backed him at 14/1 on one of my first visits to the races and was hooked. He won the Stewards Cup that same year and was the second leg of a 20/1 winning double, then went on to win two Nunthorpe's as well as taste glory at Goodwood. A great servant to connections. Jumps: nothing really comes close in terms of emotional attachment, a handicapper called Mister Apples did me a few good turns in the past while Sizing Europe is probably my favourite, high profile winner after his Champion Chase win last year. Still can't beleive how unlucky he was this year having stuck to the inside and then having to be switched wide by the missed flight shenanigans, only to go down narrowly to Finians Rainbow.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Jumps - The hurdling division about 8 years ago fascinated me when I first got into racing, and as such I'd have to say Rhinestone Cowboy is one of the horses who sticks in my mind. Unfortunately his career was cut short by an injury which he never really came back from but the horse will always stick in my mind. Flat - Like Rhinestone Cowboy, The Tatling was a horse who was around when I first got into racing, and was still running up until just a few months ago. A tremendous servant who, checking now, ran a total of 166 times in his career, winning the Kings Stand at his peak. A lovable horse, who always gave his all and has provided some great memories. Interestingly, neither have provided any sort of financial gain yet stick in the mind more firmly than any other horse.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! I have to admit I love watching that Arazi performance. I had never seen it before until The Saint posted the video up on another thread. I haven't been a racing fan for that long so haven't seen many of the greats that most of you talk about. One over jumps that I did love was Detroit City. I was just getting into racing when he started his little winning streak winning over both codes. Loved that horse. So unfortunate to die at Ascot. On the flat, Sergeant Cecil and Young Mick. Young Mick sort of did what Hunt Ball is doing now over jumps. He went from a rating of 54 to winning the Cumberland Lodge off 104 in one season. Unreal!

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Chaser = Best Mate, the nation loved him, he was a very special horse and the hairs still go up on the back of my neck when Simon Holt shouts.........3 GOLD CUPS !!!!! It was a very sad loss when he passed away that day at Exeter but i still enjoy watching video and dvd footage of him.

The Flat = WORKFORCE, Backed him heavy in the Derby and he holds the course record but the best was yet to come, kept faith in him after his flop in the King George and that reward has yet to be beat. Mr Stoute sent him over to France for the Arc and before the race i just felt sick at the amount of money i had put down on him to win had it gone wrong, you cant beat that feeling when a plan just all falls into place, i don't think that day will ever be beat as far as a down right BUZZ goes.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Flat _ Njinsky Dad took me to the Derby when I was about 7 and the talked about horse was Njinsky- being &7 I wanted to know what Njinsky meant and was told it was the name of a dancer. It won the Derby in true style and then I loved watching it race thereafter as I had seen it live in a crowd of around 100,000- Magic! NH- Red Rum, Backed it when I was about 8 or first bet really and was delighted when I got over a fiver back and then backed it no matter what it did always each way then, but the horse always tried its heart out and that's why I loved it.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! not a favourite,,,,but simply he was the best..... Sea The Stars was a true Champion ...1 mile,1 1/4mile.then 1 1/2,,all group 1s thoughout the season,,i was accutually privlaged to see this horse in the flesh,2,000 guiness at newmarket,he won as he liked from Delagator[who was on top of his game at time].What really impressed me most was"after after winning a group1[guiness] you'd a thought he was in a pre parade ring for a race----not the winners enclosesure.The sature of the horse stood out,Delagator panting like hell,yet Sea The Stars stroad majesticallly into the winners enclosesure in effortless fassion hardly out of breath...awesome....and it was awesome to see.Most of you fellows will crow on about Frankle[he is good],but he will duck[conections will]races this year,Sea The Stars took on allcomers,btw,think his best ever race was the York International,what a race,and to break the track record from a 4 runner race,awesome

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! On the flat it was Shergar for me, maybe a strange choice seeing as he only had 6 races in his life but the impact he had on me in 1981 was huge and will never forget his achievements. He won on his debut by 10 lengths and then won the Chester Vase by 12 lengths. As we know he then bolted up in the Derby by another 10 lengths before winning the Irish Derby on the bridle. He then won the King George at Ascot easily before flopping in the St Leger and then retiring to stud. I remember thinking that year I had seen something special that we don't see very often, it coincided with the time i started to take racing seriously and his victories have remained with me ever since obviously enhanced by the fact he was deprived of being a successful stallion due to him being kidnapped and killed after only producing 35 foals. I have many over the jumps and there is a big difference of 'best' and 'favourite'. My personal fav will not be known by 99% of people on here and he was called Monte Ceco, again around the time of Shergar if not before, I have no idea why but i took an instant liking to this horse when i saw him in the paddock at Wolverhampton one day (yes, they had jump racing at Wolver back then!) from that day i watched him race lots of times and saw him win at Cheltenham one year. I regret i have no photos of him still. I named my first greyhound after him and still to this day use him name on some poker sites and other stuff.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! It's remarkable what there is on youtube if you have a look round.......I was surprised to find quite a few of Njinsky's races from the early 70s (shocking quality though !) The Arazi race is on there of course..........when you watch it with the benefit of knowing what is going to happen you're struck by the fact that the commentator doesn't notice 'the move' until Arazi is almost in 2nd place

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! I am not going to say Kauto Star as that is a bit obvious, but a few years ago I was a massive fan of a horse Steve Gollings used to train called Springfield Scally. He wasnt quite top class but he won some decent handicaps in his time. I saw him make his debut in a bumper at Worcester when he came 2nd and just followed him after that. He was just the sort of horse I would love to own as he was a front runner but he never gave up and indeed their were many times where he got headed and looked like he would be easily beaten on for him to keep on fighting and get at least a place. The performance I remember most though was another meeting I happened to be at at Uttoxeter. The ground was barely raceable and he just set off out in front as usual, built up a massive lead and never saw another rivial in a fantastic performance in the conditions. He may not be a horse any of you will remember but he will always hold a special place in my heart. As for the Flat I have never really had a favourite as such, but I always followed Look Busy when she was around a few years ago and I guess Black Cavier would be my current favourite Flat horse.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!!

It's remarkable what there is on youtube if you have a look round.......I was surprised to find quite a few of Njinsky's races from the early 70s (shocking quality though !) The Arazi race is on there of course..........when you watch it with the benefit of knowing what is going to happen you're struck by the fact that the commentator doesn't notice 'the move' until Arazi is almost in 2nd place
From memory, they thought Bertrando was a Champion in waiting... Have got the race on DVD somewhere - will dig it out and ramp up the volume!

Flat Lammtarra , trained as a 2YO by the promising Alex Scott who was murdered . He was then trained by S B Suroor , himself a first season trainer having taken over the Godolphin operation from H Abrahim . Won the Epsom Derby under W R Swinburn first time out !! , who was then replaced by Dettori who then won the King George and then Arc. S B Suroor was mocked by all the media especially Claude Duval saying the training was actually done by others like Jeremy Noseda and he was only an ex policeman and only a frontman. By the end of 1995 everyone took note of S B suroor who cleaned up in the Gr1 division. Lammtarra immediately retired to stud in Japan and was not a success producing only a few donkeys. Jumps One Man , trained by G Richards , in the Al Ferof colours of John Hales ,arguably one of the most popular grays of that era . A very good novice , went on to win the Henessy , 2 King George Chases , had 2 attempts at the Gold Cup but failed to stay the extra 2 furlongs , however came back the following year to win the Champion Chase !! A mistake by B Harding the following month led to his death at Aintree , this would be followed by the death of G Richards a few months later. Didn't make much from a punting perspective but they were a joy to follow.
Loved One Man... If memory serves, he won a prep for his Hennessy so, so easily - on the bridle and I got stuck in... A few years later my Area Manager asked me if I fancied anything for Cheltenham and I told him One Man in the Queen Mother... He said he woudl be tapped for toe but he rang the trading room anyway and they dropped him a point(we were an idependent bookie) and I got a nice bottle of brandy after the meeting! (this could be the worst case of after-timing ever seen on PL!)

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! My favourite on the flat will not mean a great deal to many, but it is Chaddleworth, who was Robert Sangster's / Peter Chapple-Hyam's 2000 Guineas horse in 1993. The initial interest was because he was from the last crop of Ahonoora and on his debut he won the same 6f 2yo maiden at Newbury that his sire won (on his second run). I didn't see Chaddleworth's debut in the flesh but made a point of seeing every run after, taking in the likes of the Craven, the Guineas, the Abernant and the Royal Hunt Cup. Even travelled to Tipperary for his penultimate race and then missed his final run due to being abroad on holiday, although met up with him at least once a month for the next couple of years when he went stud. Ten runs and only won twice and not successful at stud (our foal by him ran three times and didn't beat one horse home) but for emotional attachment he was special to me. My favourite jumps horse is probably the only jumps horse who could also be someone's favourite flat horse ! - the mighty Sea Pigeon. From the Golden Age of hurdling and as responsible as any horse for first getting me interested in racing. Emotional attachment here too, as although I never saw him run in the flesh it was a joyous surprise to discover that the stud we chose to board our horses at was the retirement home of Sea Pigeon and so got to say hello at least once or twice a month from 1996 until his death in 2000.

Flat _ Njinsky Dad took me to the Derby when I was about 7 and the talked about horse was Njinsky- being &7 I wanted to know what Njinsky meant and was told it was the name of a dancer. It won the Derby in true style and then I loved watching it race thereafter as I had seen it live in a crowd of around 100,000- Magic! NH- Red Rum, Backed it when I was about 8 or first bet really and was delighted when I got over a fiver back and then backed it no matter what it did always each way then, but the horse always tried its heart out and that's why I loved it.
Wow, just watched that Derby on youtube again, no wonder I was captivated by the sport!

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! I'm not that long in horse racing, pretty much around five years now, so my favourites are rather young than old. As I mentioned in another thread already, I really loved Paco Boy. His turn of foot was outstanding. His wins in the Queen Anne 2009 - Richard Hughes sitting almost motionless in the saddle, Paco Boy still on the bridle, till 1f out... absolutely amazing! The same one year later in the Lockinge. You don't see horses winning a Group 1 that easily. The Lockinge and Bet365 mile win in 2010 were also important in financial terms as they were one of the biggest bets I've ever had. Queen Anne Stakes 2009: http://www.attheraces.com/VideoConsole/?va=ASC_2009_06_16_01_1430 Bet365 Mile 2010: http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,367133,00.html Lockinge Stakes 2010: http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,368708,00.html For the jumps... hard decision between Kauto Star and Hurricane Fly. But because I've seen the Fly already live at the race track I have to opt for him. Emotional win at Cheltenham last year... really love this horse, particularly his speed. I told everyone who wanted to know and even who didn't want to know that he'll win the Champion Hurdle - well and we all know, he did indeed.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Flat - Ouija Board. She was as hard as nails and was undoubtedly the horse that single hardly got me into racing Jumps - Master Minded. In his pomp was the best jumper around and his back to back Queen Mother Champion wins will live long in the memory. The first one was the single best round of jumping I've ever seen

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! over the jumps TEN PLUS trained by the legend Fulke Walwyn, we had a guy in the yard who looked after this horse and we followed it from its 1st race, then winning the Supreme Noviced at Cheltenham and i thought it good enough to win a gold cup at some point, sadly the horse died in the 1989 Gold cup which was voted the greatest race of all time by RP readers! He went down at the 3rd last going far better than the eventual 1st and 2nd, the great Dessie and Yahoo. Even thinking about that day brings tears to my eyes Istabraq would run it close as a favourite of mine and i was at one of its champion hurdle wins - simply awesome On the flat, i followed a couple of handicappers whom seem to always get in the frame at big prices. Mels Choice trained by Mel Brittain and Come on the blues who won the Royal Hunt cup at Ascot, chris rutter was my fav apprentice and he rode both.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Some cracking reading above. Some great memories and some great choices. What about Jockeys ? Flat for me has to be Walter Swinburn - AKA The choirboy Walter-Swinburn-2004_2447380.jpg And the jumps would have to be Richard Dunwoody. RDunwoody.jpg

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! Only problem with the thread is that it is making me feel old!!! Not sure this'll be popular but for me Pat Eddery on the flat... When the money was down there was noone better to get the job done - doubt anyone will remember but also remember him winning a Royal Ascot handicap on Son Of Sharp Shot in 1995 - he won 6 in a row on it - always cheekily and was always a decent price!! 7/1, 13/2, 5/1, 4/1, 13/8 & 5/1... I know he didn't seem to ride out for a place as hard as he could on occasion but I'd generally back win only! Jumps is tricky - I'm no expert... I guess it has to be Tony McCoy for the sheer consistency and toughness of the man. Never knows when he is beaten... I've got no major opinion though - don't bet enough over the sticks to have that big a view...

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! My favourite horse on the flat was Canford Cliffs - by a country mile as well. I just loved everything about him; the way he could travel, the way he could quicken and the general way that he carried himself. I'll be shocked if I ever have as much admiration for another horse and I'm usually quite biased towards horses that I've won a lot of money from but that certainly isn't the case with Canford. I don't know who's my favourite over jumps to be honest. Probably Big Buck's because of his sheer ability to gallop, both on and off the bridle. I love watching him move and his jumping of hurdles is beautiful more often than not - he just floats over them. If I was speaking through my pocket, I'd probably say Coronea Lilly here. :lol Favourite flat jockey is Graham Gibbons; the man just makes me money! Favourite National Hunt jockey is Paddy Brennan (closely followed by Wayne Hutchinson - who is utter class), again from a punting point of view because he always seems to do well when I've backed him mounts.

Re: Favourite Horse Ever.... One Flat, One Jumps - that is all!! for the jumps i had two favourites they were morley street brilliant hurdler who won the champion hurdle in 1991 and then there is remittance man who won the 1992 champion chase under jamie osbourne as for the flat yeats winning the ascot gold cup in 06 even though he went on to win it 3 more times