** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - French Open

Re: Tennis - French Open

hrm, I can't help but think Hewitt is a wrongful favorite in this match. He hasn't played much this year, and his clay performances have been shaky. Chardy had a nice tournament last year (losing to Haas in the 3rd round), and afaik clay is his favorite surface (correct me if I'm wrong here). They both played in Dusseldorf, where Chardy very impressively beat both Monaco and Kohlschreiber in straight sets (6-3, 6-4 and 6-2, 6-4 respectively). Hewitt had a somewhat depressing exit vs. Almagro, 6-1, 6-3. He was never a favorite, but that scoreline isn't scaring anyone. I like Chardy here, at slightly over evens.
Chardy is indeed happiest on a clay court. Really broke onto the scene in late 2008/early 2009 but his form has dipped since autumn of last year. Not sure how he'll cope in a big match like this on home soil, however. Results against Kohlschreiber and Monaco are impressive but always best to take ARAG Cup scores with pinch of salt. In essence, it's a meaningless tournament. Hewitt's only win of note was against Isner and that's because he's good at moving players around. Chardy's not a great mover and that's what perhaps tips the balance in Hewitt's favour. The Aussie needs to get into the rallies to stand a chance. Chardy can hit big but it's all about whether Hewitt can get enough balls back. My honest opinion is stay away. They are both between 1.90 and 2.00. There are probably easier matches to make cash on, IMO.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - French Open Everything you said is true, Atko, but I am going for the price here - 2.250 is too much on a -4 handicap. Of course Dani might win, but if he loses, it will probably be by more than 4 games and I feel that this is like a 50-50 situation for a price well over evens. Obviously there is the risk that I will look stupid if all my bets lose, but if I feel there is value, I will go for it. Hewitt is about 60-40 for me, thus the choice. Finally, the Ferrero-Cuevas match. For me, it is all about the line. I need 32 games and Cuevas can do that. He retired two weeks before from a match against Chela, I believe - Ferrero has not played on the tour for a month. It is therefore safe to assume that none of them will come out firing early (hopefully for me). One tie-break, 6-4 6-3 and over is there. Two tie-breaks and over is there. One set for Cuevas and over is probably there. Will this happen more than 52 percent of the time? In the current situation, I think so.

Time for me to add my opinion too (if anyone cares). I agree with red impact that Cuevas is offered at a huge price, but I am going for over 31.5 games (1.926 pinny) in that one, since the line is quite low and can be covered even in a three-setter. Also going for Hewitt (1.935 pinny), he surprised me last week and he seems to be playing quite well. The third and last bet, which probably requires a little bit of analysis, is Gabashvili -4 (2.250 pinny) against the Crazy Dan. Seems a lot of people here favour Dani, but I disagree. Seen him in Germany and he played badly. Since then, he has done nothing. Also, if he loses the first set or two, he will just explode as he has shown on numerous occasions and Gaba will cover the line imo. GL everyone :hope:hope:hope Edit: Also going for Mahut (at about 1.7 at various bookies) at a one-ball bookie. He should win this one - Zverev is still recovering from injury and has not played that well recently (basically the main reason, otherwise Zverev is probably the better of these two).
I agree on Dany, he played awfull, and were nervous almoust every bad play, didn't concentrated at all ... i'm with Gabashvili :hope

Everything you said is true, Atko, but I am going for the price here - 2.250 is too much on a -4 handicap. Of course Dani might win, but if he loses, it will probably be by more than 4 games and I feel that this is like a 50-50 situation for a price well over evens. Obviously there is the risk that I will look stupid if all my bets lose, but if I feel there is value, I will go for it. Hewitt is about 60-40 for me, thus the choice. Finally, the Ferrero-Cuevas match. For me, it is all about the line. I need 32 games and Cuevas can do that. He retired two weeks before from a match against Chela, I believe - Ferrero has not played on the tour for a month. It is therefore safe to assume that none of them will come out firing early (hopefully for me). One tie-break, 6-4 6-3 and over is there. Two tie-breaks and over is there. One set for Cuevas and over is probably there. Will this happen more than 52 percent of the time? In the current situation, I think so.
Good reasoning mate. Gabashvili came through the quallies and didn't lose a set. That helps your cause too. Still believe this is a bombscare match though. Ferrero's at that stage of his career when he can go away and relax and come back fresh. Cuevas is a bit like Chardy in the fact he burst onto the scene last year and has petered out. Saw him against Montanes in Estoril and his head went down as soon as he went behind. That's my fear for the overs if he loses the first set. Also, never be afraid to be wrong or look stupid. Your posts are as good as any on here and opinion is greatly appreciated. Keep it up :ok

Double break up now in the second set. You guys just got to hope that Koellerer doesn't retire. He's got a history of doing that.
yea, i hope so, some dickheads get me pissed of that, when they see that the game is over and get some injury or smth like that. let's just wait :hope :hope

Re: Tennis - French Open 4pts Andy Roddick to beat Jarkko Nieminen 3-0 at 5/4 with William Hill Before missing a couple of tournaments, Roddick was on a run of good results, getting to the latter stages of tournaments regularly. Admittedly, clay isn't his best surface and these results weren't on the red stuff but coming into this he will be eager to put in a good performance to boost his chances of climbing back to where he was in the rankings last year. This bet is probably more about the negatives with Nieminen as it is about the positives of Roddick's game. Nieminen has't had many good results this year and has lost to alot of players he wouldn't have lost to a couple of years ago. He has struggled with injury and as a result has slid down the rankings. A bit risky due to Roddick not playing as much as he would have liked recently, but i cant see Nieminen keeping up with Roddick's serve and although i too think Roddick wont do much damage against the proven clay courters here, i think he will have too much for the Finn.

Lol crazy Dani completely lost it now. He's awful as many thought he would be. I'm not to surprised. I based my bet on Dani being best on clay but like it matters.
Chin up, we all get 'em wrong. Still time for him to come back though, and this is Gabashvili he's up against. He's no maestro and can be unstable too. Looking like the Russian's to lose though.

Xavier Malisse's odds are rising heavily in the exchanges and at the bookies.. any idea why? Any news' date= or just market movements? I've backed him, a bit frightened now :lol
Could be any number of reasons mate. I've gone for overs so I don't want to see the prices move too much. Remember though, I had Falla on Sunday at 2.30 - he went out to 2.5 yet won in straight sets. The market doesn't always get it right.

Re: Tennis - French Open I have not watched the match in its full length, but Monaco was basically struggling all the way through - if you watched him in the team champ., you know what I mean. I think he still has some injury problems and worries like that. Aside from that, it seems that both Roddick and Querrey are having serious problems - expected that from Querrey a little bit, but certainly not for Roddick....gonna watch him for a while.

Re: Tennis - French Open Hi guys, 2 picks for French Open 1st round matches tomorrow: RADWANSKA TO D SHVEDOVA @ 1.33 on boylesports/pinnaclesports Radwanska is very solid player with every shot including serve, volley and great drop-shots. She is too consistent for Shvedova and has too many options in her game. 6-1, 6-4 to Radwanska in Miami a month ago and another easy win before that.

Re: Tennis - French Open Here are some results of part of the most important matches that have been played at Roland Garros until now. The list will continue as soon as I have more results. smile.gif Roger Federer (SUI), 1 defeated Peter Luczak (AUS):6-4, 6-1, 6-2 Gael Monfils (FRA), 13 ..........Dieter Kindlmann (GER): 6-3, 7-5, 6-7, 6-2 Andy Murray (GBR), 4.........Richard Gasquet (FRA): 6-1, 4-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-2 Novak Djokovoc (SRB), 3.......Evgeny Korolev (KAZ): 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 Olivier Rochus (BEL).......Benoit Paire (FRA): 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 7-5 Thomaz Belluci (BRA), 24......Michael Llondra (FRA): 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI), 20.....Jan Hajek (CZE): 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 Marcel Granollers (ESP)......Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA): 6-3, 3-6, 0-3 : Mathieu retired Fernando-Gonzales (CHI), 12.....Thiago Alves (BRA): 6-2, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 Ivan Ljubicic (CRO), 14.......Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE): 7-6, 7-5, 6-3 Marcos Baghdatis (CYP), 25.....Jesse Witten (USA): 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 Victor Hanescu (ROM), 31......Oscar Hernandez (ESP): 6-1, 1-6,6-4, 6-3 John Isner (USA), 17.....Andrey Golubez (Kaz): 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 Feliciano Lopez (ESP), 27..........Julian Reister (GER): 6-1, 7-6, 6-2 Nicolas Almagro (ESP), 19........Robin Haase (NED): 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 4-6, 7-6 Viktor Troicki (SRB).........Tommy Robredo (ESP), 21: 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 [url=http://www.majorwager.com/forums/soccer-tennis/198214-roland-garros-completed-matches.html#post1677755]

Re: Tennis - French Open dear Atko! i decided not to follow any method mate, coz i am not professional gambler!:dude - thnx god i am not!:clap i work to live, so betting is a kind of sport for me, a hobby, a very expensive one, but still hobby So, i idecided to invest my 1000 euros on one match only => do or die method i am not sure yet in which, normally third and fourth rounds are the ideal for such bets see you around mate, perhaps i will let you know, perhaps not, which is my choice thnx a lot! cheers :tongue2

Time for me to add my opinion too (if anyone cares). I agree with red impact that Cuevas is offered at a huge price, but I am going for over 31.5 games (1.926 pinny) in that one, since the line is quite low and can be covered even in a three-setter. Also going for Hewitt (1.935 pinny), he surprised me last week and he seems to be playing quite well. The third and last bet, which probably requires a little bit of analysis, is Gabashvili -4 (2.250 pinny) against the Crazy Dan. Seems a lot of people here favour Dani, but I disagree. Seen him in Germany and he played badly. Since then, he has done nothing. Also, if he loses the first set or two, he will just explode as he has shown on numerous occasions and Gaba will cover the line imo. GL everyone :hope:hope:hope Edit: Also going for Mahut (at about 1.7 at various bookies) at a one-ball bookie. He should win this one - Zverev is still recovering from injury and has not played that well recently (basically the main reason, otherwise Zverev is probably the better of these two).
Well, the only thing that did not go through was Cuevas, but well done Atko on that one. Good day today.:cheers:cheers

Sport Tennis
Event Leonardo Mayer v Julien Benneteau
Selection Julien Benneteau
Strength 10/10
Date 26/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.30 (Back)
Reasoning I like the look of benny here. Gulbis was injured against him, but I still thought Benny looked sharp and played well. He's played really well here and I think he can get on another run, despite poor form coming in. Mayer beat him ast week in Nice in 3 close sets, but now at Roland Garros I have to favour Benneteau.

Re: Tennis - French Open Tsonga vs Ouanna OVER 32.5 games @ 4/5(Bet 365 : 5/10) If Tsonga covers this then fair play to him.....would take maximum 7-5 6-4 6-4 which is possible.....but rumours of illness/niggles with Tsonga..he pulled out versus GGL in Madrid after losing the first set and started here with a 5 set win over Daniel Brands. Ouanna clearly not in Tsonga's league but the guy can serve big and keep sets tight...showed that last year beating Granollers and Safin at Rolland Garros before losing to Gonzalez...despatched Kubot in round one here in 4 sets...Kubot out of form to be fair but Ouanna hardly setting the world alight recently(lost to Malisse in 2 in France a few weeks back on clay) so a good win all the same. Let's see if he keeps things competitive tomorrow. Leo Mayer vs Benneteau OVER 3.5 sets @ 1/2(Bet 365: 7/10) Fair play to Cramer picking a winner here...looks a real tough one on paper.//...Mayer picking up some good form recently reaching semi's at Nice and a good straight set win over Stakhovsky in round one. Benneteau can be really bad at times(see what Volandri did to him in Rome) but banking on Benneteau showing good fight...and to be fair he's had some good showings here over the years reaching the 1/4's in 2006 and 4th round in 08. The h2h shows tough games between the 2 aswell...played a tight 3 setter in Madrid a few weeks back which Mayer won. Looks a tough one to me

Sport Tennis
Event Svetlana Kuznetsova v Andrea Petkovic
Selection Andrea Petkovic
Strength 10/10
Date 26/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 2.75 (Back)
Reasoning Kuznetsova looks opposable here. She's having a shocking year, really hasn't shown any form. Recently too she hasn't looked great, and despite a comfortable score line in round 1 she didn't look great. It seems to be a mental/confidence issue and it should be tested here. She's defending champion here, and that will either bring out the champion in her or be an added burden. I like Petkovic, and back her quite often. She's a really strong player and has a big game to go at it with Kuznetsova. They played twice last year, 1-1 both close matches. Expect Petkovic to put up a big fight and has a great chance.

Re: Tennis - French Open Some good tips today chaps. Ones that stand out where Hewitt (various), Gabashvili and Mahut (CzechPunter), Mattek-Sands (smeg) and Ginepri to take a set (IAmGooner), who in the end took all three. Nice work lads. Fingers crossed it continued tomorrow, some interesting games.

Re: Tennis - French Open Cant oppose vera she struggled in the first 3 games against cirstea hus no mug and she came thru comfortably in the end. As with leo i think it will finish 3-1 hes a good player and he seems to have bennys no., hes got the better h2h record and hes produced the better results recently I think dulko will finish scheepers 2-0 tmoz shes in decent form and is a class above scheepers. Also think dulgheru will do the job in str8 sets tmoz shes played alot of tennis but confidence shud be high Any news on garcia lopez i really like backing the guy but i heard hes ill?

Re: Tennis - French Open Dunno, not heard anything about GGL. Didn't really consider that match, seems a close one on paper....De Bakker has talent no doubt. I also like Isner tomorrow....should come through Chuidinelli IMO....just too solid on serve and mentally stable when it gets tight...turned into a reasonably good player on clay in all fairness bar the Hewitt match which was down to tiredness more than anything I'd say. Chuidinelli came through Devvarman in 5 and I don't associate Devvarman with clay at all. 4 sets at most for big John IMO. Will only take him if I get a suitable partner for a double though....don't trust Isner on the handicaps on clay yet(think it's -5.5 which seems about right). Only suitable double material for Isner right now are Baghdatis to beat Granollers....impressed with Baghy's improvement on clay recently....wonder if he maintains that level though? Maybe Rochus looks a decent price against Reister....he'll fight anyway but looks a tight enough match. Also thinking about Murray to cover the line versus Chela....Paddy Power offer 32.5 games over/under.......Murray is clearly a bad match for Chela... has killed him on clay twice already....too strong in defence and movement, Chela can't really hit through him.....my worry is Murray's mentality at times..can have careless patches so maybe handicap is a better choice meaning he can at worst lose a tight set like 7-5 or 7-6(can't see Chela killing him in a set) and still cover it if he finishes strong like against Gasquet. Decisions, decisions......see in the morning. Edit: looking at the prices now, won't touch Murray handicap, price just too short for what should be touch and go IMO(7.5 games).