Tennis - French Open

Re: Tennis - French Open

SportTennis
EventThiemo de Bakker vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
SelectionTsonga (-4) GH (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date28/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price188bet @ 1.94 (Back)
ReasoningI remember very well the last game between these two players and I have to say that Thiemo has played some great tennis then' date= he desreved his victory but in the same time I also have to mentionate that Tsonga has played with many errors. Overall Jo-Wilfried Tsonga s the better player than Thiemo de Bakker, yes he has lost the last one against Thiemo but lets not draw a wrong conclusion about a player just after a game. I have written in some previews about Thiemo de Bakker's potential, this player has been underrated some time ago, now he is a litter bit overrated. Those two wins against Ferrero and Tsonga in Barcelona are the reasons for this low line handicap, no doubts that he has played some great tennis there but his opponents purely didn't played their best then. Thiemo de Bakker is the player who can be competitive against top players but it still Tsonga who has the game in is hands and it is up to him if he will win or lose it. Tsonga's one of the best serve and big forehand make the difference in a game like this one. All in all, Tsonga's motivation and preparation for French Open is surely on a different level as in Barcelona and this line handicap is just too low. Good Luck!
I owe you a pint mate. I followed you on this one with a fair bit of cash and it paid off. Your write-up, coupled with IAG's original thoughts, pushed me towards it. I've been really impressed with your selections. Thanks again :ok PS: Looks like my two selections have come up. A good day indeed. Ivan Ljubicic battled on to get my treble up too. Happy days.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought about Isner-Berdych too' date=' but I'm fearful of Isner having to play yesterday while Berdych had the day off. No doubt Berdych has the better game outside of the serve - looks an obvious over on paper, however I'm not sure Isner will have the juice to keep going if Berdych establishes a lead. Slow courts won't help Isner either, and it will play slow today. Chiudinelli got chances on his serve and I expect Berdych to get the same.[/quote'] I'm sad for you that your bet lost. I've highlighted what my opinion was on your match, posted before you selected Isner, as you've seemed to address this 1000 euro bet in my direction. As Kullykhalsa said before, this forum is here to help people, just like I got a bit of inspired advice from Cornell and IAG earlier, and like I hope some people benefitted from my selections today. I don't know what your reasoning was behind this bet, you never said. 1000 euro is a lot of cash in anyone's book and I'd be amazed if anyone else here bets that amount on one match in the tournament. My fingers are crossed for you that you win a bit of that lost cash back over the next week.

Re: Tennis - French Open Cilic looked vulnerable at the end, serving pretty weak but Mayer couldn't get the return deep enough when it mattered. Mayer must have hit alot of winners today...approaching 100 I think the stats read a few mins ago.....:eek Right about Cilic though mate, he can raise his game in GS tournaments.

Mayer vs Cilic OVER 36.5 games @ 4/5 (Paddy Power:5/10) Tsonga to beat De Bakker @ 1/2(Will Hill: 8/10) Handicap is +5.5 games at a few bookies so will have a small play on this......Dolgopolov seems to be doing well enough to push him here.
WIN WIN WIN Epic day lads. So many winners in this thread this week from everyone contributing... well done all....:nana......lets keep her going ....:hope

Re: Tennis - French Open Should Bellucci be underdog versus Ljubo?? Talk me out of this Atko....;)...struggled against Andujar and has little pedigree in slams but Ljubo shouldn't have much in the tank at this point. Maybe reading this all wrong. Edit: Got a small bet on him at 11/10 at Paddy Power, drifting already at William Hill to 5/6. Edit 2: Paddy Power now 10/11. Write-up later.

Should Bellucci be underdog versus Ljubo?? Talk me out of this Atko....;)...struggled against Andujar and has little pedigree in slams but Ljubo shouldn't have much in the tank at this point. Maybe reading this all wrong. Edit: Got a small bet on him at 11/10 at Paddy Power, drifting already at William Hill to 5/6. Edit 2: Paddy Power now 10/11. Write-up later.
You've definitely got Bellucci at the right price. But I'd be worried about how he struggled against Andujar. He was very lucky to win that, struggling with the slow conditions. However, Ljubicic is carrying an injury. Ribs are causing him jip. In saying tha though, if the rain comes, and it's supposed to be bad tomorrow, he might buy himself some more time. Need to research it more, but my gut instinct would be the same as yours: Bellucci.

Re: Tennis - French Open Had to put a small play on it mate, if I looked now and seen 5/6 I probably would have waited until tonight to think more about it....and maybe avoided it altogether. Didn't watch Ljubicic against Fish at all, but seen parts against Lu and he wasn't doing great. Seems like a 50:50 match...both played gruelling matches and come into tournament with question marks(Ljubicic injuries?, Bellucci not playing his best). Hopefully some nice bets for tomorrow. Draw beginning to hot up/.

Sport Tennis
Event Andy Roddick v Teimuraz Gabashvili
Selection Teimuraz Gabashvili
Strength 10/10
Date 29/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 5.00 (Back)
Reasoning I like the look of this. Roddick had very little prep coming in, and has looked shaky taking 5 sets against Nieminen and 4 against Kavcic where he lost serve 7 times. Weather is dodgy for tomorrow, expect slow conditions and Roddick to have a lot of problems. Gabashvili has had a pretty lean time, dropped out of the top 100 but he's a good player. Think he can hang with Roddick from the back, questions over his temprament, but I hope he can perform. He's been playing well lately, run through qualifying here and has had a couple of convincing wins so far. Upset is on here.

Sport Tennis
Event Alisa Kleybanova v Yaroslava Shvedova
Selection Yaroslava Shvedova
Strength 10/10
Date 29/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.78 (Back)
Reasoning I like both of these girls. Kleybanova got a good win for me in the last round against Ivanovic, whereas Shvedova has upset the odds twice against Errani and notably Radwanska. So both seem to be playing well, and I would put the prices very tough together. This is an importany match for both, with a plum tie against either Groth or Rodionova awaiting. Both will be looking at getting close to top 20 after this tournament, and the match could be decided by who deals with the pressure better. Again I see it being too close to call in that respect. Kleybanova has a bigger game, but Shvedova is sharp and the smarter player. Happy to take this price.

Re: Tennis - French Open baghdatis today, said the phrase of the century i am really upset of various bull*shit from british eurosport; talking about "mental strength" and similar s*hit, and that murray was superior to baghdatis on that area whats that bul*lshit; a pure nonsense, actually all tennis players, and all athletes, have LESS mental strength than ordinary people, i remind you that Einstein was a totall mess in his private life, someone to be fingered as idiot... anyway, today at fourth set, and after huge battle, murray won point after lucky behaviour of the ball, -murray desperately hit the ball which touched the top of net, and then landed at baghdatis court- the cypriot was so so sad and he only painted at his lips the greek word POU-TA-NA....WHICH MEANS you prostitute...haha, from one point of view, he was upset by murray great effort, and at the same time he was embarrased by the ball behaviour...POU-TA-NA he said to the ball go and see this at british eurosport, they catched him at slow motion :dude

Re: Tennis - French Open Nadal to win UNDER 18.5 games versus Hewitt @ 8/13(Paddy Power : 8/10) Basically betting on Nadal winning 6-? 6-? 6-? and I think it's possible. Hewitt was a great player but just cannot see him hurting Nadal on this surface...H2H reads 5-4 Nadal but Hewitt's 4 wins coming netween 04 and 06 on hard and grass. Since 06 Nadal has won 5 times beating him 4-0 on clay.....Hewitt is a grinder, can return well and scraps for every ball but I struggle to see any of that working against Nadal(to the point he can get close to winning a set)....Nadal moves better, defends superbly and is growing into the tournament I feel. Istomin took Hewitt to 5 today and makes me worry for Hewitt tomorrow as Istomin wouldn't be a quality clay-courter and doesn't move the best. See a straight sets victory for Nadal tomorrow...handicap looks too tight at 8.5 or 9.5 games so will go with this instead. Almagro vs Dolgopolov OVER 3.5 sets @ 4/6 (Bet365 : 5/10) Almagro such a good player on clay when he's firing but struggles to keep that momentum over 3 or 5 set matches. He was outplaying Nadal in Madrid for a set and a bit..Nadal just stayed close and knowing Almagro would eventually throw in a few loose games...low and behold he walloped him in the next 2 sets without really doing a great deal differently.Form is good though...beaten the likes of Soderling, Melzer and Berdych recently, semi at Madrid but as I said consistency is his problem...on clay recently he's lost sets to Ginepri, giant Anderson, Greul and lost to Tsonga twice(recall Tsonga playing well but both winnable matches for Almagro, esp. the one in Barcelona). So far at the French Open he crushed Darcis today and came through Haase in 5 in round one. Dolgopolov has a good game, aggressive and his level looks good recently(after some dodgy results around a month ago)......beaten Fish, Seppi and Montanes(good win especially against accomplished clay-courter Montanes)...also gave Nadal a real game in Madrid losing 6-4 6-3 and has come here and beat Clement in 5 and Gonzalez in straights today...superb win for him even though Gonzo is nowhere near his best. I think a couple of sets will be tight and we might see 4 or 5 in this one. As I said earlier, I took Bellucci at 11/10 at Paddy Power (2/10, small stakes as I took the price on a whim without research mainly because it stood out and I thought it would drop swiftly) low and behold the price has gone now and he's odds on so value may lie with Ljubicic for anyone looking for an underdog to give them a run for their money. I said both players had question marks and I read it as a 50:50 match, can make a case for both...Ljubicic has the experience....but I'm counting on Bellucci being fresher tomorrow and to play better than Ljubicic the longer it goes on...both had gruelling matches today(Ljubo winning 10-8 in 5th versus Fish) and Bellucci beating Andujar in 5.....surprise results for both really but wins are wins....Bellucci looked good in the first round killing Llodra in 3.. I think he can hang with Ljubicic from the baseline, both can hit impressive shots and can serve well. All being said it's a tough match, expect first set to be crucial and see who gets stronger as the match progresses. I also though about Gabashvili to win a set versus Roddick, he's playing well and Roddick is vulnerable...Cramer might be right to oppose him as I think he'll drop soon enough...but don't want to back Gabashvili to be honest.....Roddick to win over 19.5 games at Paddy Power(8/11) was another one I looked at as I don't think Roddick will win simple 6,6 and 6 tomorrow but again wil leave it. GL!

Re: Tennis - French Open Tough one today. A lot of matches have that 'lure factor' but today's tennis could be difficult - rain is forecast throughout the day and I can see plenty of disruptions. Saying that, I've gone for a couple of small selections, one which can be described as a "fun" bet, although it has a good chance of coming up. The bigger of the two concerns the match between Juan Carlos Ferrero and Robby Ginepri. I'm amazed to see Ginepri in the third round and closer research saw me discover that he made the last 16 here in 2008, losing to Fernando Gonzalez. What makes that even more startling is that he's got a clay record of W9 L31. He's not played a lot this year, but has talent. However, I think his time has come against Ferrero. The Spaniard is a cut above anything he's had to play recently. Sam Querrey was his first round victim but that result is tainted by the fact that Querrey decided he wanted to "go home" midway through the second set (his words, not mine, and it appears the American may be off the Tour for a while). His win yesterday over Potito Starace carries a bit more form, but the Italian can be flaky and so it proved. Ferrero will give him a far tougher match. Good mover on the clay, experienced and with a beautiful forehand, I feel he's happier with the slower conditions here. He's more of a clay courter than Ginepri - the American has done well to get this far, but I believe there's a big gulf in class on this surface and the -7 game handicap is surmountable for Ferrero. It's priced a 2.07 so I'm happy to take it on with pretty small stakes. The other match that takes my eye is the game between Thomaz Bellucci and Ivan Ljubicic. This game was discussed a bit on here last night and I've come to the conclusion that Bellucci should be able to win this pretty comfortably. That theory centres round Ljubicic - he came through a beast of a match yesterday with Mardy Fish, winning 10-8 in the fifth, and although Bellucci went the distance with Pablo Andujar, the match wasn't nearly as gruelling. Perhaps more importantly, Ljubicic is also carrying a rib injury which impairs his serve. As that is one of the most important parts of his game, it will affect greatly his strategy. Bellucci is the younger, fitter of the two and has the game for clay - lovely sliced shots, a big forehand and good serve. The first set here will be crucial as if Bellucci gets it, I expect him to run away with the match, or see a Ljubicic retirement if the injury is causing too much pain. Sadly though, the price has completely bottled out - 1.72 was the best I could find with Pinny on a Bellucci win, which is too short. I'm therefore willing to risk a point on a 3-0 Bellucci win, which is a monsterous 5.00. If the match gets away from Ljubicic, which it easily could, I can see Bellucci wrapping it up quickly. I'm happy to give this one a go at big odds with a very small stake. Selections for today, therefore, are: - Juan Carlos Ferrero -7 games AH at 2.07 with Pinnacle (2/10) - Thomaz Bellucci to win 3-0 at 5.00 with Boylesports (1/10) :hope

Sport Tennis
Event Serena Williams vs. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
Selection Pavlyuchenkova
Strength 5/10
Date 29/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 8.40 (Back)
Reasoning Serena Williams is not playing her best tennis on clay, she never did as her most favourite surface is grass and hard. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova is a young talented player with a lot of potential, she can hit some great winners and can play very stable from the baseline. Pavlyuchenkova could make the difference from the baseline against Serena's not so well movement. Pavlyuchenkova surely just shouldn't be rated with these crazy odds as Serena on clay is just another thing. Good Luck!

Sport Tennis
Event Daniela Hantuchova v Yanina Wickmayer
Selection Wickmayer
Strength 10/10
Date 29/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.01 (Back)
Reasoning Well, Daniela Hantuchova is overrated at the moment, no doubts that she did well recently but still she is not a player of Yanina Wickmayer's level. Wickmayer had some problems in her last game against Bammer, there were quite many errors in her play but in the end she could finish it with the victory. Maybe Wickmayer is underrated because shehas played a difficult match of three sets against Bammer, but I won't draw too much attention to that as in one day anything can happen. Certain is that Wickmayeris better than Hantuchova, the consistency from the baseline should speak about that, Hantuchova is the player who can play well more on her serve and at the net as well, but from the baseline she is under Wickmaye's level. Daniela Hantuchova had two wins against Jelena Jankovic and maybe that has a influence on these odds too, she also leads 3-0 against Wickmayer but lets not forget that Yanina improved a lot since their last meeting. All in all, this surely will going to be a difficult game for both players as the difference in class is so closed, but I have to disagree with equal odds here as still is is Yanina who is the better player, better movement on the court and more talent should make the difference. Good Luck!

Sport Tennis
Event Ivan Ljubicic v Thomaz Bellucci
Selection Bellucci
Strength 10/10
Date 29/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.71 (Back)
Reasoning Ivan Ljubicic had a difficult game yesterday against the american Mardy Fish, it was a tough match without any doubts and tiredness could have the word today. Thomaz Bellucci had a difficult and long game too against Andujar but the young brazilian player should be less affected by that as he is just 22. From the class point of view Bellucci is surely more talented than Ljubicic, his movement on the court is much better and also his deffesnive skills are clear better. Certain on clay the difference between Bellucci and Ljubicic is even more visible and IMO the brazilian should have this game in his hands. Ljubicic had a great season so far, his results were great and at the moment he is number 16 in the ATP Rating, these are the reasons for why we still have these great odds on Bellucci's side. There are no doubts that Ljubicic had a great season, he reallt impressed with his tennis and his form but he is still not a complete player, he depends a lot of his serve and accuracy of his shots, thing that is always so difficult for a player. Bellucci possess more qualities and has more solutions on the court, so he should be the favourite in this one. Good Luck!

Sport Tennis
Event Rafael Nadal v Lleyton Hewitt
Selection Under 27.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 29/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 1.80 (Back)
Reasoning Putting this up today but would be surprised if they got on. Like this better than the -9.5 games @ 1.72 as we get 6-3 6-3 6-3 included. These guys played here last year and it was an absolute mauling. Hewitt has been struggling with injuries coming in, and really struggled on serve against Istomin. If he serves poorly, he's got no chance of getting close. As Hewitt is a former top player, can't see Rafa relaxing against him and he should be focused on getting this done. If they do play some today, expect conditions to be slow which will further hurt Hewitt. Think this is a reasonable line.

Sport Tennis
Event Rafael Nadal vs. Lleyton Hewitt
Selection under 24.5
Strength 10/10
Date 29/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 3.25 (Back)
Reasoning I remember very well the game of the last year here at French Open between Lleyton Hewitt and Rafael Nadal, well then Rafa was clear all in control and had the final word in so many rallies. Hewitt is a player who can play with a great varietyof his shots, he can change the directions very well and can cover the court well too, but speaking about some real dangerous qualities I will say that he has no final shot to beat a great defence. Hewitt's style is to pressure his oppoenent into errors but I doubt that such thing will going to be happen against Rafa. Nadal has problems against players with a strong forehand and serve, those playerswho can hit winners, players as Soderling, Del Potro, Cilic... Hewitt is a dangerous oppoenent against players without a too great movement on the court and control, against Rafa he will have no real dangerous weapons. Of course that it will all depend on how few errors will play Nadal, that should be the most important aspect but such things you can never know, certain is that there will be many rallies in this one as Hewitt won't be able to finish his points early on. All in all, Nadal has no real problems in style to play against Hewitt, so he should dominate most of the rallies. Good Luck!

Re: Tennis - French Open In the past Roland Garros was Henin's favorite tournament , and sharapova has never been successful in roland Garros. On Clay , henin is the best player on wta tour , and in top players sharapova is one of worst player on clay. This season from Australia to Paris henin is more successful than sharapova. Henin's form is better now. They play each other 2 times on clay.Henin beat sharapova 2-0 on both matches. This match will be the same again because sharapova has no answer to henin's game on clay. Henin can make defence , and hit top spin balls. Also sharapova has no backhand slice weapon. Moreover on the net henin has advantage . Volleys of sharapova is not good. Henin to win 2-0 @1.80 ( expekt ) Strength : 10 / 10

SportTennis
EventAndy Roddick v Teimuraz Gabashvili
SelectionTeimuraz Gabashvili
Strength10/10
Date29/05/2010
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 5.00 (Back)
ReasoningI like the look of this. Roddick had very little prep coming in' date= and has looked shaky taking 5 sets against Nieminen and 4 against Kavcic where he lost serve 7 times. Weather is dodgy for tomorrow, expect slow conditions and Roddick to have a lot of problems. Gabashvili has had a pretty lean time, dropped out of the top 100 but he's a good player. Think he can hang with Roddick from the back, questions over his temprament, but I hope he can perform. He's been playing well lately, run through qualifying here and has had a couple of convincing wins so far. Upset is on here.
I know you like to back an underdog and that's mainly your strategy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I admire you for sticking to your guns and today it worked a treat. Enjoy those winnings mate, brilliant shout, my chapeau is suitably doffed :cheers :clap

Nadal to win UNDER 18.5 games versus Hewitt @ 8/13(Paddy Power : 8/10) Almagro vs Dolgopolov OVER 3.5 sets @ 4/6 (Bet365 : 5/10) Bellucci at 11/10 at Paddy Power
WIN LOSS WIN Good day, thought Nadal was well below par though and Hewitt was 40-15 at 4-4 on serve in the second set which would have finished the bet...luckiily Nadal responded and broke him. Almagro was too solid for Dolgopolov, crushed him really. Great win for Bellucci over Ljubicic. Super call on Bellucci 3-0 Atko, nice odds.....:eek

Sport Tennis
Event Justine Henin v Maria Sharapova
Selection Lay Maria Sharapova (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.20 (Lay)
Reasoning 1 set each when they came off, but still have to consider Henin very strong favourite. we saw how this match should go in the early stages, with Henin showing the variety and having too much clay court game. She was dominant, and that set could have been 6-0. The in the 2nd, she had a dip, like she has done so often in her comeback. Sharaova started hitting harder, and Henin was allwoing it to happen and not asserting her own game plan. I think when they come back tomorrow, Henin will be re-focused and the final set should go the way of the 1st.
Sport Tennis
Event Caroline Wozniacki v Flavia Pennetta
Selection Flavia Pennetta
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.16 (Back)
Reasoning Such an attractive match here, and I really like the look of Pennetta! I think she looks in great shape in this tournament, and is really playing well. From wehat I've seen I don't think I've ever seen her hitting so well. Wozniacki has done fine so far, her ankle is probably fine now but still it's a little concern. This should be a really good match, and I think should be 50/50 and I'll take Pennetta to come through.
Sport Tennis
Event Francesca Schiavone v Maria Kirilenko
Selection Maria Kirilenko
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfred @ 2.87 (Back)
Reasoning I think this price is quite appealing, as I see this as a close game. H2H favours Schiavone but they haven't played on clay and I don't think is particularly relevent. Kirilenko was excellent against Kuznetsova, and in particular I liked how aggressive she was being. She was really able to hit winners and I think that sort of game will work well against Schiavone. Schiavone won Barcelona at the start of the clay season, but maybe since then form has dropped a bit. She's probably a small favourite here, but I think the price appeals on Kirilenko.

Sport Tennis
Event Robin Soderling v Marin Cilic
Selection Marin Cilic +5.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.00 (Back)
Reasoning 5.5 seems like one too many games here, especially when getting even money. These guys bring a very similar game, Soderling probably having a little more pace on the ball. Soderling also trying to back up his run to the final last year. But Cilic is a tough competitor, and can definately perform over 5 sets like he did in Australia this year beating del Potro and Roddick en route to the semis. I don't like his forehand, but that's just a personal preference with me as it seems to work. Actually, that's why I'm not backing him to win this just to cover a generous handicap. He struggled in 5 sets against Mayer, but had a day off and I think he'll keep it close against Soderling.
Sport Tennis
Event Roger Federer v Stanislas Wawrinka
Selection Stanislas Wawrinka +8.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 1.66 (Back)
Reasoning This is another one where Boylesports seem to be ofering 1 too many games, even though this time the price is lower. I believe in Wawrinka, I think he can run Federer fairly close, although of course I don't think he'll win. Federer has looked fine so far, but usually has 1 tough game on his way that you wouldn't expect, and this could be it. Just taking this because of the number really.
Sport Tennis
Event Andy Murray v Tomas Berdych
Selection Tomas Berdych
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.46 (Back)
Reasoning Going against Murray again. Baghdatis served really poorly against him, and made Murray look good I think. Still looking at his run it's been a struggle, and this will be the biggest test. Berdych has been very comfortable so far, and has the game to take it to Murray. He's having a good year, and could make a big breakthrough here. Murray will be able to use his slices and skills in this match, but he'll have to be at the top of his game to contain the power of Berdych.
Sport Tennis
Event Mikhail Youzhny v Jo Wilfreid Tsonga
Selection Mikhail Youzhny
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 1.88 (Back)
Reasoning Youzhny is a comfortable choice for me here. Tsonga is struggling with a back problem, it was really affecting him against de Bakker. He's also not a natural on clay, and against a quality player like Youzhny expect those things to be exposed. Also the rest of the French players have gone, Tsonga the lone one left in either draw, so perhaps some extra pressure on Tsonga. Youzhny has done OK so far, couple of slow courts, but come through OK. I make him quite a reasonable favourite for this.