Tennis - French Open

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - French Open Early handicap prices are out for tomorrow's matches and I'm going to bite on the match between Jurgen Melzer and Novak Djokovic. I quite like Melzer here. It's not so much to do with him but with Djokovic, who hasn't impressed me much in this tournament. Serious serve issues and has been struggling once again with his breathing. Melzer can be pretty unstable at times but I expect him to give absolutely everything in this match. It's his first Slam quarter-final and he's got the mentality not to get fazed in this situation. He's quite a prickly character and I can see him scrapping here. He's lost in both meetings with Djokovic but neither was on clay. Djokovic doesn't normally dominate players on clay - Ginepri and Hanescu have taken sets off him and I see Melzer as being stronger than them. As I said, he'll get chances on Djokovic's serve. It's been woeful here so far. Wanted the handicap to be a bit bigger on Melzer - it's currently sitting at +5.5 games - but the price is tasty at 2.10. I think he's more than able to take a set here in these conditions and that will in part help me along the way for the handicap. Small stakes, but feel it's worth playing. My selection is: - Jurgen Melzer +5.5 games at 2.10 with Pinnacle (3/10) :hope

Re: Tennis - French Open Definitely liking that one Atko, just put it on my list a few minutes ago. Melzer is 10/3 to win.......:eek....he's a headcase but crushed Ferrer and Novak hasn't been great this year. Handicap might be better option though.

Re: Tennis - French Open

anybody else fancy jankovic to drop a set tomorrow?
Can't stand Jankovic tbh.....when I back her she plays like Murray in GS events, hitting balls in mid-court and serving like a kid. When I oppose her she morphs into Karlovic and firing winners.....;)...to be fair I try to stay away from her as much as possible. I remember Shvedova beating her in the US last year, she has a good game and can trouble her if Jankovic is passive which she usually is for portions of her matches. 6/4 looks like a good price for Shvedova to nick a set...surely play one tight one as it's never plain sailing with Jankovic....though I expect her to progress in the end(hope not though.....:hope)

Can't stand Jankovic tbh.....when I back her she plays like Murray in GS events, hitting balls in mid-court and serving like a kid. When I oppose her she morphs into Karlovic and firing winners.....;)...to be fair I try to stay away from her as much as possible. I remember Shvedova beating her in the US last year, she has a good game and can trouble her if Jankovic is passive which she usually is for portions of her matches. 6/4 looks like a good price for Shvedova to nick a set...surely play one tight one as it's never plain sailing with Jankovic....though I expect her to progress in the end(hope not though.....:hope)
Ha not jankovic's biggest fan then ;). Yeah i may go for her to drop a set perhaps, 6/5 at ladbrokes is where i usaully go. May have to go for that only, will have a look at the other games now

Re: Tennis - French Open My leans for tomorrow are........... Like Atko said Melzer +5.5 games looks a good bet. Djokovic seems to have ups and downs in every match, guy has been so patchy the last year or so. Obviously he is a more consistent player than Melzer and more experienced in these types of matches but his serve is a weakness these days and he's struggled with guys who have less in their armour then Melzer. Melzer can play top 10 tennis on his day - I see him taking at least one set tomorrow and that should give him a chance at this handicap IMO. Beating Ferrer was a huge scalp I think, Ferrer also has weakness on serve but defends like very few can so to beat him so convincingly is a good sign. Always a risk with Melzer though, he could throw in a really horrible set like a 6-1 or 6-2 but I'm hoping for something more inspired from him like we seen from Kohli against Djokovic last year. I can get Evens at Paddy Power for this one, seems a decent shot. Also Serena -3.5 games to beat Stosur is 4/5 at Paddy Power and 5/6 at various others. I really feel Serena can come through this one and even if she loses a set still might cover this line. Credit to Stosur for beating Henin, great win for her......surely a career highlight. But Serena is another prospect.....big serve which Henin doesn't possess......when it got tight Henin couldn't find a serve and it should have cost her against Sharapova..Serena and Stosur have two of the best serves in WTA....difference is Serena is a great returner and although Stosur has a super forehand for clay.....will Serena leave balls sitting in mid-court for her to smack? Henin seemed to be playing real defensive tennis at times, knocking balls back without much power (still rusty perhaps)...Serena will be hitting balls deep and with power....and can expose Stosur's weak-ish backhand. Should be a good match but Serena looks motivated to take this and this handicap appeals to me. Will think about these more later and prob take one or maybe both.

Re: Tennis - French Open Agree with you guys on the +5.5 on Melzer but I'm going to go for over 36.5 games 10/11 @PaddyPower - I think this will be a pretty close encounter and I definitely can't see any of these guys winning in straight sets, so if the score is 3-1 to either player it will be likely over 36.5 - can possibly even see this going to 5 sets. Thoughts??

Re: Tennis - French Open Should be fairly close IMO, line looks about right. Can see it going over 30 games certainly, but I'm guessing for us to beat the overs/+5.5 handicap we need Melzer to nick a set which I think is possible. Hanescu, Korolev and Ginepri all got close to this line (30-35 games)

Should be fairly close IMO, line looks about right. Can see it going over 30 games certainly, but I'm guessing for us to beat the overs/+5.5 handicap we need Melzer to nick a set which I think is possible. Hanescu, Korolev and Ginepri all got close to this line (30-35 games)
Yeah - suppose the good thing about the 5.5 handicap is that he could get beat in straight sets and it could still come up (7-6 6-4 6-4). Kind of leaning towards that now.

Re: Tennis - French Open You need oddschecker mate.......... http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/french-open/mens-french-open Click 'All Odds' to the right of whichever match you want(change to the womens at the top of the screen), and then there's various tabs for handicaps and the like.......for Total Games...click 'MORE' and then 'SCORE BETTING' and 'TOTAL NUMBER OF GAMES'. I'd usually check Paddy Power first as they're pretty quick, just to give me an indication what the lines will be everywhere else.

Yeah - suppose the good thing about the 5.5 handicap is that he could get beat in straight sets and it could still come up (7-6 6-4 6-4). Kind of leaning towards that now.
On the other hand mate, you get some safety with the overs if Melzer plays competitive for a couple of sets but crumbles when the match is getting away from him.....we've all seen it happening. Pro's and con's for both I guess. Watch Novak crush him 6-1 6-1 6-1 tomorrow......;) I think the lines are about right.

Re: Tennis - French Open Alright, just gone with Serena Williams -3.5 games over Stosur @ 4/5 Paddy Power (5/10) as I said earlier. Could get slightly higher(1.86 at Boyles) but no time tomorrow to do it.

Also Serena -3.5 games to beat Stosur is 4/5 at Paddy Power and 5/6 at various others. I really feel Serena can come through this one and even if she loses a set still might cover this line. Credit to Stosur for beating Henin, great win for her......surely a career highlight. But Serena is another prospect.....big serve which Henin doesn't possess......when it got tight Henin couldn't find a serve and it should have cost her against Sharapova..Serena and Stosur have two of the best serves in WTA....difference is Serena is a great returner and although Stosur has a super forehand for clay.....will Serena leave balls sitting in mid-court for her to smack? Henin seemed to be playing real defensive tennis at times, knocking balls back without much power (still rusty perhaps)...Serena will be hitting balls deep and with power....and can expose Stosur's weak-ish backhand. Should be a good match but Serena looks motivated to take this and this handicap appeals to me.
See how it goes. Yet to pull the trigger on Melzer handicap/overs but see later about that one. GL!

Re: Tennis - French Open I think an important factor will be the fact that Melzer already has beaten big players, such as Cilic, Verdasco and recently Ferrer in this very tournament, and thus should have quite a bit of confidence that he can threaten Djokovic in this match. Worth noting is that Djokovic has had 3 four-setters all-ready, yet none of them have gone over 36.5. As for overs vs. +5.5: 6-7 6-3 6-2 6-4 = 40 games, hardly unrealistic, yet doesn't cover the +5.5 handicap. I'll be backing the overs myself, let's hope we get both :hope

Re: Tennis - French Open Here ar my tips for June 02

1) Serena Williams vs Samantha Stosur. Williams -3.5 games. 1.99 @ Pinnacle

Stosur will be pumped up for this one after magnificent win against Henin in previous round but I can't see her doing a job against Serena. Although Williams has been shaky at the start of sets in her last 2 rounds she has recovered and got convincing wins. Stosur struggled on serve against Henin and Serena will punish any weak second serve. I reckon this handicap is achievable for Serena. GL!

2) Jelena Jankovic vs Yaroslava Shvedova. Over 20.5 games. 1.95 @ Unibet

I am a believer in statistics. All 3 matches between these two have gone the full distance with Jankovic coming out as a winner in 2 of those matches. I don't thing it will make any difference that this match will be played on clay as they have been playing only on hard. Jankovic has dropped a set against Kanepi, should have lost to A. Bondarenko and has been shaky for me. Shveodva on the other hand has impressed a lot. I think she can really make this very close.

3) Nicolas Alamgro vs Rafael Nadal. Over 31.5 games. 1.87 @ Unibet

I have been taking under on Rafa for past couple matches and lost so it's time to check smth different. I feel that Almagro is well capable of getting a set out of Rafa as he has done in their previous two meetings, even once on clay this season. If he gets a set, it will over games and even if he doesnt get there's still hope on a tiebreak or two if it ends in 3 sets.

4) Jurgen Melzer vs Novak Djokovic. Over 36 games. 1.75 @ Expekt

Djokovic has lost one set in 3 of his 4 matches here in Paris and I fully predict that he will lose at least one today as well. Melzer is in terrific form in Paris and will make it very hard for Djokovic. 4 sets here for me or even 5 though general feeling is that it will be definitely over 36 games.

Managed to watch the last 30 minutes and it looks like Berdych conditions to me. Taken some 3.50 on Berdych 3-0 at William Hill.
Conditions were just perfect for Berdych. Think I might leave it tomorrow aswell. The handicap for Nadal looks fair, and this will either be the match Nadal steps up and plays great, or it'll be similar to the Belucci game. I was really surprised when Almagro got a set off Nadal earlier this year, so don't think I can read this game very well. Would fancy Melzer on the handicap if this was 2nd or 3rd round, but with it being a quarter final that puts me off. In the ladies, it's hard to oppose Serena at these sorts of prices, even though I want to. Stosur has the game to take it to her, but I'd want a little more. Might be one to look at early on and catch a good price on Stosur. Will play one game
Sport Tennis
Event Jelena Jankovic v Yaroslava Shvedova
Selection Yaroslava Shvedova
Strength 10/10
Date 02/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 4.80 (Back)
Reasoning I've mentioned already that I like Shvedova, and have backed her in the last 2 rounds. She's doing really well and playing solid. H2H seems important here, Jankovic leads 2-1 but all have been 3 set matches. Shvedova won the biggest of these in the US Open last year in an excellent match. It seems to me like a good match up for Shvedova, she has a good balance between attacking and defending that works against Jankovic. Jankovic doesn't really get into a rythem from the back and at times she can get out hit. She's looked fine so far in this tournament, but she's never convinced in a grand slam yet. This could be another tough loss for her, and the price is big enough to take a chance on Shvedova.

3) Nicolas Alamgro vs Rafael Nadal. Over 31.5 games. 1.87 @ Unibet

I have been taking under on Rafa for past couple matches and lost so it's time to check smth different. I feel that Almagro is well capable of getting a set out of Rafa as he has done in their previous two meetings, even once on clay this season. If he gets a set, it will over games and even if he doesnt get there's still hope on a tiebreak or two if it ends in 3 sets.

Good luck mate, Boylesports go 1.83 over 28.5 games which is so much better.

Re: Tennis - French Open Hi guys, 1 pick for French Open Semifinal match: SCHIAVONE TO D DEMENTIEVA @ 2.1 on willhill On other surfaces Dementieva would be a favorite but on slow clay with rains and cold weather Schiavone will just run all the time and retrieve balls. Dementieva traditionally has problems playing this type of opponents (recent losses to Pironkova, Dulgheru, etc.)

Hi guys, 1 pick for French Open Semifinal match: SCHIAVONE TO D DEMENTIEVA @ 2.1 on willhill On other surfaces Dementieva would be a favorite but on slow clay with rains and cold weather Schiavone will just run all the time and retrieve balls. Dementieva traditionally has problems playing this type of opponents (recent losses to Pironkova, Dulgheru, etc.)
I think the weather is supposed to be better today...

Re: Tennis - French Open Right sorry about my picks yesterday, will see if I can improve on them today. 1) Djokovic Melzer over 36.5 games- 4/5 Labrokes 10/10 For me, like most of the others is near enough a certainty as neither of these players has been on a completely different level to the other, hence I would be astonsihed if either was to win in straight sets without problems. Obviously Djokovic you would fancy in normal circumstances but this is clay, which isnt his favourite like you find with most of the top players, perhaps the exception is Nadal in my opinion. I personally wouldnt put it past Melzer to stun his opponent in 4 or even 5 sets but for me, the over bet is the way to go here. 2) Williams to win straight sets- Evens- Ladbrokes 6/10 Again in my opinion a fairly obvious one. She is so much better than her sister who in truth was hammered by Petrova and the best on the women's circuit by a considerable amount. Watching Stosur in her previous match, she had done well to get this far but feel she wont have the athleticism, power or stamina to cope with Serena, leading to a comfortable victory. Not sure if i will take this one yet, but good chance i may. 3) Shvedova to win at least one set- 6/5- Ladbrokes- 10/10 Choosing this rather than the over games simply due to the odds and this being better than evens with the overs just below evens. If its going to be a match over 20.5 games then likelyhood is Shvedova will win a set and perhaps even the match. Whenever i watch Jankovic she always has something about her which makes me think she is vulnerable to a players lyk the Kazak. Could be some money in this match, but I'm just going to go for her to win a set. :cheers

Right sorry about my picks yesterday, will see if I can improve on them today. 1) Djokovic Melzer over 36.5 games- 4/5 Labrokes 10/10 For me, like most of the others is near enough a certainty as neither of these players has been on a completely different level to the other, hence I would be astonsihed if either was to win in straight sets without problems. Obviously Djokovic you would fancy in normal circumstances but this is clay, which isnt his favourite like you find with most of the top players, perhaps the exception is Nadal in my opinion. I personally wouldnt put it past Melzer to stun his opponent in 4 or even 5 sets but for me, the over bet is the way to go here. 2) Williams to win straight sets- Evens- Ladbrokes 6/10 Again in my opinion a fairly obvious one. She is so much better than her sister who in truth was hammered by Petrova and the best on the women's circuit by a considerable amount. Watching Stosur in her previous match, she had done well to get this far but feel she wont have the athleticism, power or stamina to cope with Serena, leading to a comfortable victory. Not sure if i will take this one yet, but good chance i may. 3) Shvedova to win at least one set- 6/5- Ladbrokes- 10/10 Choosing this rather than the over games simply due to the odds and this being better than evens with the overs just below evens. If its going to be a match over 20.5 games then likelyhood is Shvedova will win a set and perhaps even the match. Whenever i watch Jankovic she always has something about her which makes me think she is vulnerable to a players lyk the Kazak. Could be some money in this match, but I'm just going to go for her to win a set. :cheers
Never apologise for losing picks mate, we all make them. It's good that you've put selections up. If we posted winning picks every time there would be no bookmakers left to beat.

Re: Tennis - French Open Going to go with this one too........ 4pts Serena Williams to beat Samantha Stosur 2-0 at 5/4 with Paddy Power This price has drifted a little over the past hour or so and its one i am happy to take. I dont bet on womens tennis normally as i find it too inconsistent but i feel at these odds its worth getting involved here. Although Stosur beat Henin i dont think it was as good a win as people were saying. Henin didnt impress me in any of her matches as i felt it was easier for opponents to get at her serve than in previous years and then dominate points. Still, Stosur has done well to get this far and although Serena doesn't have the best record on clay compared to other surfaces, i feel her power and experience in these types of matches will be too much for an opponent who, prior to last year, had an awful record at this championship.

Re: Tennis - French Open I'm going to go against the trend in here and go for Over 21.5 games between Samantha Stosur v Serena Williams @ 1.75. Samantha Stosur is coming into this tournament in her highest career ranking at 7 in the world and the best form of her career. She also beat Serena Williams at Roland Garros last year so I don't expect an easy win for Williams this year. I expect a tight two setter or even three set game. :hope