** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - French Open

Re: Tennis - French Open

Wouldn't you rather place a bet on a favourite such as fognini as oppose to go against tipsarevic? he's been known to play some good tennis in his day. there's not a large difference between 1.90 on fognini and 2.29 on falla. you may be right but i'm just giving you a check point. good luck.
I agree that Tipsy has played some good stuff on his day - but this year he's been dire, even on the hard courts. He's not fit, has a poor record against lefties and Falla's no mug on the clay. If Tipsarevic was 100% I wouldn't be touching this bet but I reckon there's value in Falla. Small stakes.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - French Open It's always tempting to go mad on the first day of a Slam, but in the end I've only got three extra bets I'm looking at. Fabio Fognini against Nicolas Massu is an interesting one. Massu used to be a player I really rated but he's struggled a lot recently. He's now in his 30s and I question his ability to last five sets. In terms of ability, there's not much between these two. Both men prefer the clay, both have got serious issues on serve but both have excellent groundstrokes and enjoy sparring from the back of the court. A lot of Massu's matches have been at Challenger level, while Fognini, although losing, has been playing Tour level. The Italian beat Massu last year on the clay in Monte Carlo and moves better than the Chilean. The market has moved with Fognini and I'd be inclined to go with the Italian. Edouard Roger-Vasselin is another player that I quite fancy to do something today. He plays Kevin Anderson, who in my opinion is a big server and very little else. Over best-of-three matches, that's fine, but in best-of-five, it's incredibly difficult to keep your serve going. Roger-Vasselin isn't a great player - bangs around the Challenger tour and occassionally pops up at Tour level - but he's French and will fancy his chances here. The overs line was a consideration on this one but taking Roger-Vasselin on a handicap - perhaps the +3 line - makes appeal. I expect it to be tight and I reckon Roger-Vasselin, who is experienced and hits the ball well, could well take this. My final bet will be a double. Juan Ignacio Chela plays Ryan Sweeting and although Chela's star has waned, he's up against an 18-year-old American who has limited experience of clay and the Slams. I reckon the Argentine should be able to get through this. At 1.20, his price is too short for a single, so I'm going to take a chance and double him up with Stephane Robert, who plays qualifier Tobias Kamke. I admit to not knowing a great deal about Kamke, who beat Alberto Martin on the way to the main draw, but I've seen plenty of Robert and he's a solid Top 100 player who is nimble, has good groundstrokes and reads the ball well on clay. This is the sort of match he should win, on home soil against a guy ranked well beneath him. Therefore, my selections for today are: - Fabio Fognini at 1.80 with Stan James (4/10) - Edouard Roger-Vasselin +3 games AH at 1.926 with Pinnacle (4/10) - Double of Stephane Robert x Juan Ignacio Chela at 1.89 with Stan James (3/10) :hope

Wouldn't you rather place a bet on a favourite such as fognini as oppose to go against tipsarevic? he's been known to play some good tennis in his day. there's not a large difference between 1.90 on fognini and 2.29 on falla. you may be right but i'm just giving you a check point. good luck.
The difference is getting bigger!... Fognini now 1.8 (Boyles & SJ)... Falla now 2.37 (B365)... I suppose if comparing the 2... the difference now makes Falla the more favourable bet if directly comparing them.... Lets hope they both win anyways! :ok

Re: Tennis - French Open Sport Tennis Event Elena Vesnina-Andrea Petkovic Selection Elena Vesnina (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 23/05/2010 Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.95 (Lay) Reasoning On clay Vesnina played modest in 2010,losing last matches with King,Petrova,Ivanovic or Peng.Petkovic was a good girl on this area,winning important games with strong players like Pennetta,Errani or Dushevina.Andrea Petkovic is certainly the better girl here,so play lay on Vesnina.

Re: Tennis - French Open Janko Tipsarevic - Alejandro Falla | Tipsarevic 1.6@triobet! despite all talks here that Alejandro no mug and tipsy has bad record on lefty's i decided to pick here a clear favourite to me. Tipsy playing briliantly last games and in my eyes he will be in such a high level on this first roland garos day. First day sometimes going mad and crazy, but i hope it won't on this one soi'm picking it with confidence! :hope

Re: Tennis - French Open John Isner - Golubev| Isner 1.25@triobet! i missed some handys on my local bookie, so it's just for a win on american here 1.25 at triobet. Isner looked impresive with berdych in Berlin, and probably should won that game, but were able to loss in a tie break. but today is a different day and Isner for me is a clear favourite and must win easily tomorow. :hope

Re: Tennis - French Open Horrible market move against Massu:sad

Sport Tennis
Event Ernests Gulbis v Julien Benneteau
Selection Julien Benneteau +7.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 23/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Skybet @ 1.90 (Back)
Reasoning Big handicap looks good here, as I think this could be pretty close. Benneteau hasn't been doing too good, but he's had an arm/shoulder problem and hopefully he's recovered from that. He's played really well here before, and hopefully can do so again. Gulbis of course has come on a lot lately, and is playing really well, but still isn't the most reliable. This match up should be similar to Tsonga v Benneteau, where Benneteau tends to do pretty well. Expect Gulbis to come through, but it could be pretty tough and I think Benneteau will cover this.
Sport Tennis
Event Mikhail Youzhny v Michal Przysiezny
Selection Michal Przysiezny +9.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 23/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 1.83 (Back)
Reasoning I've ben a fan of Przysiezny for a few years, and now he's playing real good. He's got himself into the top 100 and I think will put in a decent show here. He's just a really solid player and I don't think he'll roll over. Of course, Youzhny is a few classes above and a massive favourite to win, but this handicap is huge and even 6-3 6-3 6-3 would do for me.
Sport Tennis
Event Lukas Lacko v Michael Yani
Selection Lukas Lacko
Strength 10/10
Date 23/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 1.90 (Back)
Reasoning I've mentioned a few times that I like Lacko, and I think he'll win this match. He's had a really bad run the past few months, but still is a much better player than Yani. Yani has come through qualifying which was good for him, but still I'd make Lacko a bit bigger favourite than this.

Re: Tennis - French Open Hi guys, 2 picks for French Open 1st round matches tomorrow: ERRANI TO D SHVEDOVA @ 1.68 on pinnaclesports MEDINA GARRIGUES TO D OUDIN @ 1.41 on pinnaclesports Errani is a very solid typical clay court player in good form. Shvedova always struggles playing this type of opponents where she has to play attacking game. H2H is 1:0 to Errani with win on clay last year. Medina (playing similarly to Errani) is just a very solid clay court player with good form. She played very good for the last 3-4 weeks and was unlucky not to beat Sharapova in SF of Strasbourg last week. Oudin has a very poor clay court season not winning a set on European clay so far.

One early bet for tomorrow... Janko Tipsarevic vs Alejandro Falla Alejandro Falla at 2.29 (Pinnacle) Small bet this but I reckon it's worth a play. Tipsarevic has barely played much recently. He made one appearance on the clay and was beaten by Jeremy Chardy in straight sets. No harm in that, but he's not match fit. He also doesn't do well against lefties, of which Falla is one, shown by his record of W10 L16. The Colombian prefers the dirt more to Tipsarevic and has posted slightly better results on the red brick, beating Juan Ignacio Chela and keeping Arnaud Clement and Christophe Rochus fairly close this year. He's a gritty player, and a guy who will make Tipsarevic play a lot of balls. I'm banking on the Serb not being fit and I'd recommend taking Falla with a one-ball bookie. The H2H is 1-1 which shows Falla can beat him. Small stakes for sure, but reckon odds are too big and Falla can take this. Bet strength: 3/10 :hope
Great shout Atko... An easy 3-0 at good odds... :clap

Re: Tennis - French Open yeah, Gulbis may win a french open in a parralel universe, not in this one heeehheheheheeeheheh Lets talk seriously Gasquet @2.85 TO BEAT murray my idea is already expressed in other threads; synopsis : Murray is in bad mood, he is performing very very poor- although you may read that he is very well playing- Murray looks lazy indeed, he is just returning balls, he can not attack for unknown reasons, his game is pathetic defensive one, in my opinion, he can not win a serious clay match like this, when especially is Gasquet there, a player coming here hot, in top form, after giving some astonishing lessons the week before at nice, i watched gasquet in the last two matches in nice, Gasquet in my opinion is a player to watch in this tournament [email protected] back, and lets see if there will be trading opportunities xxxx:tongue2

Sport Tennis
Event Andreas Beck v Paolo Lorenzi
Selection Paolo Lorenzi
Strength 10/10
Date 24/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.60 (Back)
Reasoning This price seems reasonable. Back has struggled since coming back from injury, and to be honest I never liked him anyway. Lorenzi is a solid player, and doing OK in chanllengers. I'd have Lorenzi a very small outsider for this so think the price is reasonable.
Sport Tennis
Event Andy Murray v Richard Gasquet
Selection Lay Richard Gasquet (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 24/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.90 (Lay)
Reasoning I like Murray in this game. Don't think he's playing as badly as some are suggesting, actually I think he's finding some form. Gasquet just won in Nice on Saturday, and I think it's a bit tough him having to play Monday. He had injury time outs in that match too so not sure he will be 100%. The change of conditions are quite big, and I definately think he will struggle early on. I make Murray a big favourite for this, and am betting accordingly.

Sport Tennis
Event Magdalena Rybarikova v Sofia Arvidsson
Selection Sofia Arvidsson
Strength 10/10
Date 24/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 1.96 (Back)
Reasoning Rybarikova really struggling the past few months, not able to put wins together. Very happy to oppose her here and Arvidsson is decent enough to beat her. Arvidsson has been around for a while, isn't great, but I think she'll play a solid match here. Her form is decent coming in and I think she should take this.

Re: Tennis - French Open Some good stuff today chaps. I've got a few early selections for tomorrow's matches. The undoubted tie of the round is between Richard Gasquet and Andy Murray. I can see why many people want to go for Gasquet, but I'm going to buck the trend here. I love Gasquet's game but I think he has mental demons, especially at Roland Garros. He's never got past round three here and he's not played the Open since 2007. I don't think Gasquet likes pressure, and he's got plenty of that here in Paris. The French are desperate for a male winner and Gasquet was, and in some parts still, is regarded as one of their best hopes. I've watched Gasquet time and time again fold under pressure, especially in Slams. He lost to Mikhail Youzhny in five in Melbourne this year when in control, and the same happened against Fernando Gonzalez a year ago there. And then there's his amazing encounter in 2008 at Wimbledon with this opponent, Murray. He served for the match 2-0 up in sets and Murray came back to win. It was a defining career point for both men. Gasquet has regressed, Murray has improved. That match has got to play on Gasquet's mind, especially if it gets close. Murray isn't a wonderful clay court player but he's solid and improving. He's got the ability to unlock Gasquet, mentally and with his shots. He'll be able to handle the hostile crowd. He's not no.4 in the world for no reason. I actually think his defensive game works here. Gasquet is a shot-maker, who goes for it, and has small margins for error. Then there's also Gasquet's fitness. He had a gruelling week in Nice, picked up a thigh injury and has had only two days to recover. When all said and done, I trust Murray more to get through this match. I think Gasquet may implode. He's got history of it. Murray's price is at 1.50, which is too short for me as a single. I think Santiago Giraldo is the right man to partner up with him at 1.40 in his match against Kei Nishikori. Giraldo's been playing very well recently on clay, beating Juan Carlos Ferrero and Philipp Kohlschreiber in past events. He hits the ball extremely hard but also moves well. This bet is as much about Nishikori and it is the Colombian. The Japanese is a talented player but has been plagued by injuries. He's not played a Tour event this year and although he's won Challenger events they've been on American clay, which is different to European clay and will take time to get used to. The guys he's beaten there - Kendrick, Sweeting, Dabul - aren't nearly as good as Giraldo. I feel the Colombian has a clear advantage here and happy enough he can take care of Nishikori. The other bet that I feel is worth a play is also a double. The first part of it is Tommy Robredo, who faces Viktor Troicki. Normally I wouldn't want to back Robredo at this moment, as he's been in poor form, but he took time off after Barcelona to deal with an injury and I expect him to come back fresh against a player who he enjoys playing against. The Spaniard leads the H2H 2-0, which includes a win on the red brick on Monte Carlo this year. The other win was in a Slam, the 2009 Australian Open, where he won in straight sets. Normally the odds on Robredo would be worse than this - maybe 1.30 - so I can only assume his relatively poor form this year has made them this high. Troicki can be a decent player but not on this surface. Clay is his least preferred and he has a losing record on it. This year he's failed to make big inroads on the surface and Robredo is proven on it and in this tournament. He made the quarters last night and therefore has plenty of ranking points to defend. Again though, 1.44 is too short for a single, so I've decided to double him up with Leonardo Mayer, who plays Sergiy Stakhovsky. These two have never met before but I'm convinced Mayer is the better and more comfortable on the clay. He got to the semis of Nice last week, losing to Fernando Verdasco, who himself put Stakhovsky out in the quarters. Mayer's shown potential on this surface. He beat James Blake and took Tommy Haas close here last year and beat Thomaz Bellucci and Marcos Baghdatis on clay last week, both better players than Stakhovsky. The Ukrainian's movement and game-plan isn't conducive to clay - he likes to serve big and attack the net. Mayer has got more variation and more power, and is generally a classier player. He's 1.33 to win this tie but goes well in a double. Just feel he'll be too strong on this surface for the Ukrainian. Will maybe go for more tomorrow, but two selections are: - Double of Andy Murray x Santiago Giraldo at 2.10 with Stan James (3/10) - Double of Tommy Robredo x Leonardo Mayer at 1.93 with Stan James (3/10) :hope

Re: Tennis - French Open Some very decent posts already:ok. I'm thinking of putting very large stakes on a Nadal v Federer final @ 11/10. Have done a fair bit of thinking over it, and think its a good bet to plough alot of money into. What are your guys opinions on this specific bet? cheers.

Some very decent posts already:ok. I'm thinking of putting very large stakes on a Nadal v Federer final @ 11/10. Have done a fair bit of thinking over it' date=' and think its a good bet to plough alot of money into. What are your guys opinions on this specific bet? cheers.[/quote'] Looks solid to me. Nadal should get there unles he gets injured....only players I could see troubling Federer on clay are in the other half so he should get there. Soderling in his half but don't think he's playing great lately. Thinking of Monfils and Leo Mayer tomorrow. Alot of really crap prices and huge handicaps in the opening few days it seems.

Some very decent posts already:ok. I'm thinking of putting very large stakes on a Nadal v Federer final @ 11/10. Have done a fair bit of thinking over it' date=' and think its a good bet to plough alot of money into. What are your guys opinions on this specific bet? cheers.[/quote'] Federer is 11/10 on his own to make the final with bet365. Could have got 13/8 4/5 days ago on nadal v federer final, so the value has gone now.

Re: Tennis - French Open hi there , just a quick one , on the federer game 2mora , it says on paddy power , r.federer total games under 18.5 is at 8/15 but when u look at the correct score its federer 3-0 at 1/7 , unless i am missing something which i prob am , the under 18.5 means he has to win 3-0 right ? so 6 games a set = 18 games , and that means he will win 3- whatever , unless a try break but cant see that happening !! , can someone help me out here , thanks people ;)

WTA Meusburger 2-0 @1.70 With a couple of 2-0 wins over the girl in april i'm seeing this as the best value for today. if i add on a few other shoe-ins like cibulkova pennetta etc. it should turn a nice price. good luck to everyone.
Meusburger win cibulkova win got my double and it looks like there were a lot of winners amongst us yesterday. great job by all.

hi there ' date=' just a quick one , on the federer game 2mora , it says on paddy power , r.federer total games under 18.5 is at 8/15 but when u look at the correct score its federer 3-0 at 1/7 , unless i am missing something which i prob am , the under 18.5 means he has to win 3-0 right ? so 6 games a set = 18 games , and that means he will win 3- whatever , unless a try break but cant see that happening !! , can someone help me out here , thanks people ;)[/quote'] Unless one set finishes 7-5 or 7-6 mate.......:tongue2

Anyone else thing that Jarko Nieminen is decent value against Roddick? Roddick has gone out 4 times in the opening round of the French and Nieminen's got the better Rolland Garros record. Has Roddick improved much on the clay in the past year or so?
Not played on the stuff since last year....bar some exhibition matches this week. Think Roddick will be vulnerable at some point but can't see Nieminen doing the job in all honesty. Roddick will probably be better if/when the set(s) gets tight.

Re: Tennis - French Open Monfils x Leo Mayer Double @ 7/10 (W Hill:5/10) Patchy year for Monfils...decent showing in Madrid losing to Nadal and lost to Starace last week in Nice but think he'll be highly motivcated this week. Flo Mayer has an unorthodox style but Monfils beat him on clay in 2005...seems to love this tournament aswell and think he gets the job done today in 4 sets at the most. Leo Mayer plays Stakhovsky...for me clear better player on this surface. Not a very reliable player but his form in Nice is enough for me...beat Guez, Bellucci and Baghdatis before losing a tight one to Verdasco. Stakhovsky also had a decent week beating Seppi and Nieminen before taking a set from Verdasco but still think Mayer is a level above him on clay. GL!