Race Chat-Sat 21st Oct

20 hours ago, Tedthewolf said:

Champions Day at Ascot only one race of interest to me the lucky last Balmoral Handicap.

Really Fancy DUTCH DECOY e/w just hope the 16/1 is available when  the prices come out with more places  still anti posts at present.

Didn't make the cut nor my other fancy 50/1 shot Orbaan bit of bummer as its back to the drawing board and start again!

@Tedthewolf

It's in the lap of the gods if rain spoils it now ....I've rated the race on soft but if it rains it might go heavy ....rating currently is ...

Al mubhir. 8.8. 14/1 lads 

Sonny Liston. 8.5. 7/1 

Blue for you   8.2 

Coeur dor. 8.2 

Raadaburg. 8.1 

My idea of good outsider is Al mubhir .....but draw could be against him .....best drawn is sonny Liston in 7 with Ryan Moore onboard ...commands respect on that ....but value horse Def Al mubhir and I've had a tenner Ew at 14/1 with lads ...all the others are much shorter (as low as 11) ...for the haggas horse with Marquand aboard ...5 places 

Going for Sweet William ew at 10-1 in the stayers  .  Last time when beaten by Trueshan came cruising into the race and then faltered (perhaps on a bit of dodgy ground) and still ran on strongly to the line . All it`s best form on soft , also has a very pronounced knee action .If the real Kyprios turns up might just be playing for a place , but think it will get a nice tow into the race so might not have to hit the front too early .

Ocean Quest                                                        1 50 Asc/                    1/40th of a pt ew   33/1

Port Lonsdale                                                       3 45 Asc/                    1/40th of a pt ew   66/1

Ropey Guest                                                         4 25 Asc/                    1/40th of a pt ew   40/1

St Lawrence                                                          1 50 Asc/                    1/40th of a pt ew   40/1

P/L  + 173.45 pts

Edited by black rabbit
selections

Saturday 7.15am sees the latest running of the Caulfield Cup. There will be a few familiar names and Joseph O'Brien has two runners and the Crisford's run West Wind Blows. Here are my thoughts on the runners.

Gold Trip - Just got headed in the final strides in this last year, then finished 9th in the Cox Plate before going on to impressively win the Melbourne Cup. He won for the first time since when putting in a superb performance to beat a few of these in the Turnbull Stakes a couple of weeks ago. Has to give more weight away here, but if he's in the form he was a couple of weeks ago he might be capable of doing it.

Without A Flight - Only finished 13th in last year's Melbourne Cup, but then went up to Queensland in May/June and won a G3 and a G2 in easy style. Had a break and then returned in the G1 Underwood last time over 1800m here a month ago and was an eye-catcher when finishing 6th behind Alligator Blood who won again last week. The step up to 2400m from 1800m is going to be ideal for him and he looks a big player.

Breakup - As they have shown so often in recent years, the Japanese horses have to be respected wherever the go. Was well beaten by Equinox last time at big odds although clearly not a shock as he was big odds that day. His last win came over 2500m in November at G2 and he was 4th in a G1 over 3200m in April. He certainly has to be respected.

Montefilia - Had started to become disappointing, but she's been good in her last two starts finishing 3rd in a G3 at Randwick and then won the G2 Hill Stakes last time at Rosehill. She did it well that day given she didn't get a gap until 250m to go. Probably needs to find more again here, but at least she is in form.

Francesco Guardi - Certainly needs this trip as he proved last year when finishing 2nd in the Bart Cummings over 2510m and then winning the Moonee Valley Cup over 2500m. Started off over 1400m this prep then up to 1600m and then 2000m when 7th in the Turnbull. Has been running solidly and clearly be building up to this.

West Wind Blows - Simon & Ed Crisford have sent him down after a very solid summer over here including a G3 win at Longchamp, 2nd in the Hardwick and a respectable run in the Eclipse. Was a huge run first up in the Turnbull to finish 2nd to Gold Trip and on that form he is weighted to reverse the form. I liked the way he kept finding to hold on for 2nd and he should improve from that run. He's drawn in 2 so Spencer will need to get him settled close to the pace otherwise the concern is he wont be able to get a run. If he does that he ought to be going very close.

Soulcombe - Another ex-UK horse and looks to have an obvious chance. Was really impressive first up in a Listed Race here over 1700m and then has run really good races at G1 level when 4th in the Underwood over 1800 and then ran on strongly for 3rd in the Turnbull. 2400m is going to be ideal for him and again is weighted to reverse form with Gold Trip. 

Duke De Sessa - Used to be trained by Dermot Weld in Ireland and won a Listed Race on his final start in November at Naas. Has been settled near the back in all his 3 races in Australia so far and stayed on well enough in the Turnbull when 6th last time. Step up in trip is ideal and likely to be peaking here. Likely to have to travel very wide though given his run style and wide draw and I also think he would prefer a softer track.

Hoo Ya Mal - 2nd in last years Derby and finished 12th in last year's Melbourne Cup on his first start in Australia. Had the fastest last 600m of the race when resuming over 1600m in a G2 at Randwick finishing 5th, was then 7th a couple of weeks later in the 7 Stakes also over 1600m and then was just run down late by Montefilia in the Hill Stakes. Clearly going to enjoy stepping up in trip and might just be in better form than the bare figures suggest.

Right You Are - Won the Listed Mornington Cup in April and the 5th in the Underwood wasn't too bad, but was only 11th in the Turnbull and he doesn't look like being good enough.

Emissary - Another who wasn't great in the Turnbull when finishing 12th and I'd be surprised if he won.

Goldman - Another who doesn't look good enough and given he usually just about leads he's going to have to do some work to get over from 18.

Okita Soushi - Royal Ascot winner in June when landing the Duke Of Edinburgh beating HMS President by a neck. Not sure he achieved a great deal in the St Leger Trial last time, but it has to be said that if this were a handicap in the UK or Ireland he would actually be getting less weight than he is from the other horses with UK/Irish ratings higher up the handicap. I don't really fancy him, but at the same time if he won I could see why did.

Fame - 2nd in the Queensland Derby in May, but that wouldn't be good enough and not improved since. 

Bois D'Argent - Ran OK in The Metropolitain when 7th and he didn't get much luck in running, but given the winner Just Fine bombed out last week then I would be surprised if that form line was good enough. 

Spirit Ridge - Stablemate of Bois D'Argent and was 2nd in The Metropolitain. Usually makes the running, but can't see him making all.

Valiant King - He has the same Irish rating as his stablemate and yet has even less weight to carry. He's very lightly raced and his only win was in a Navan maiden in May, but on his next start he was 2nd to Desert Hero at Royal Ascot. That is obviously strong form, but it was his next run that is even more eye-catching as he was only just beaten by Vauban and they pulled clear of the rest. Granted he wasn't so good on his last start, but I suspect that was being used more as a prep run ahead of his journey to Australia. Stall 1 can prove troublesome at times, but he has Jamie Kah on top so she is capable of delivering the goods.

United Nations - Was a good 2nd in the Herbert Power last week, but would be a shock winner.

Verdict - This is really competitive and to be honest it might be harder to find the winner than it will be of the Melbourne Cup next month. I'm going to put Without A Flight on top as this looks ideal for him. He was fancied for the Melbourne Cup last year, but the ground went against him as he needs it quick as he showed when going up to Queensland for his two wins. It will be quick ground here and his prep run was full of promise. I know Gold Trip is weighted to not finish in front of the 2nd and 3rd from the Turnbull, but I think he is worth more than the winning margin and the turn of foot he showed was seriously impressive. He is my main danger. Soulcombe didn't get the clearest of runs in the Turnbull and I don't think he was ridden quite as strongly as Gold Trip once out in the clear so he is next. West Wind Blows was game in that race to finish 2nd, but sometimes horses from the UK don't run as well 2nd up and his low draw does concern as he could find traffic. Clearly though if he does back it up then he can win. Valiant King is the other that really interests me especially on his Vauban form, but the draw just puts me off from making him a bet.

Without A Flight @ 11/2 with Bet365, Paddy Power and Betfair

NB If having an e/w bet William Hill are going 5 places 

Got a real quandary about the Balmoral Handicap which closes the card  .  On the Ascot web site it says under extreme very soft/heavy conditions high numbers are favoured , but it has been several years since this bias can be confirmed as conditions haven`t been that bad .On top of that last years race under softish conditions the whole field went (for some unknown reason) over towards the low drawn side of the course .All the hold up horses were then squashed up on the rail and coudn`t get a run leaving the prominent racers in pole position .Would love some of the jockeys to stay down the high draw side , but believe they will just play follow my leader as usual.........so much so at this moment in time can`t find a bet.....any answers out there ?

The key stat is the draw with those drawn 1 - 11 producing 8 winners out of the last 9 with a profit of 81 points. Those drawn higher have 1 winner from 97 runners and a loss of 70 points. I wouldn't be put off by the going as 5 of the last 9 runnings have been on heavy or soft going.

All 9 winners last ran 14 to 25 days ago with a profit of 99 points.

Only 1 winner from 113 runners has had forecast odds higher the 14/1.

This leaves BOPEDRO at 16/1 (5 places).

On 10/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, Tedthewolf said:

Champions Day at Ascot only one race of interest to me the lucky last Balmoral Handicap.

Really Fancy DUTCH DECOY e/w just hope the 16/1 is available when  the prices come out with more places  still anti posts at present.

Good luck , wonder where the back end of my username comes from 😉

Just a watching brief for me re UK racing tomorrow due to the adverse conditions , shame really , tomorrow's card at Ascot looks excellent but not using the round course .

On 10/19/2023 at 1:40 PM, richard-westwood said:

@Tedthewolf

It's in the lap of the gods if rain spoils it now ....I've rated the race on soft but if it rains it might go heavy ....rating currently is ...

Al mubhir. 8.8. 14/1 lads 

Sonny Liston. 8.5. 7/1 

Blue for you   8.2 

Coeur dor. 8.2 

Raadaburg. 8.1 

My idea of good outsider is Al mubhir .....but draw could be against him .....best drawn is sonny Liston in 7 with Ryan Moore onboard ...commands respect on that ....but value horse Def Al mubhir and I've had a tenner Ew at 14/1 with lads ...all the others are much shorter (as low as 11) ...for the haggas horse with Marquand aboard ...5 places 

Al mubhir caned off boards into 3rd fav 7/1 🥺

20 hours ago, Darran said:
Saturday 7.15am sees the latest running of the Caulfield Cup. There will be a few familiar names and Joseph O'Brien has two runners and the Crisford's run West Wind Blows. Here are my thoughts on the runners.

Gold Trip - Just got headed in the final strides in this last year, then finished 9th in the Cox Plate before going on to impressively win the Melbourne Cup. He won for the first time since when putting in a superb performance to beat a few of these in the Turnbull Stakes a couple of weeks ago. Has to give more weight away here, but if he's in the form he was a couple of weeks ago he might be capable of doing it.

Without A Flight - Only finished 13th in last year's Melbourne Cup, but then went up to Queensland in May/June and won a G3 and a G2 in easy style. Had a break and then returned in the G1 Underwood last time over 1800m here a month ago and was an eye-catcher when finishing 6th behind Alligator Blood who won again last week. The step up to 2400m from 1800m is going to be ideal for him and he looks a big player.

Breakup - As they have shown so often in recent years, the Japanese horses have to be respected wherever the go. Was well beaten by Equinox last time at big odds although clearly not a shock as he was big odds that day. His last win came over 2500m in November at G2 and he was 4th in a G1 over 3200m in April. He certainly has to be respected.

Montefilia - Had started to become disappointing, but she's been good in her last two starts finishing 3rd in a G3 at Randwick and then won the G2 Hill Stakes last time at Rosehill. She did it well that day given she didn't get a gap until 250m to go. Probably needs to find more again here, but at least she is in form.

Francesco Guardi - Certainly needs this trip as he proved last year when finishing 2nd in the Bart Cummings over 2510m and then winning the Moonee Valley Cup over 2500m. Started off over 1400m this prep then up to 1600m and then 2000m when 7th in the Turnbull. Has been running solidly and clearly be building up to this.

West Wind Blows - Simon & Ed Crisford have sent him down after a very solid summer over here including a G3 win at Longchamp, 2nd in the Hardwick and a respectable run in the Eclipse. Was a huge run first up in the Turnbull to finish 2nd to Gold Trip and on that form he is weighted to reverse the form. I liked the way he kept finding to hold on for 2nd and he should improve from that run. He's drawn in 2 so Spencer will need to get him settled close to the pace otherwise the concern is he wont be able to get a run. If he does that he ought to be going very close.

Soulcombe - Another ex-UK horse and looks to have an obvious chance. Was really impressive first up in a Listed Race here over 1700m and then has run really good races at G1 level when 4th in the Underwood over 1800 and then ran on strongly for 3rd in the Turnbull. 2400m is going to be ideal for him and again is weighted to reverse form with Gold Trip. 

Duke De Sessa - Used to be trained by Dermot Weld in Ireland and won a Listed Race on his final start in November at Naas. Has been settled near the back in all his 3 races in Australia so far and stayed on well enough in the Turnbull when 6th last time. Step up in trip is ideal and likely to be peaking here. Likely to have to travel very wide though given his run style and wide draw and I also think he would prefer a softer track.

Hoo Ya Mal - 2nd in last years Derby and finished 12th in last year's Melbourne Cup on his first start in Australia. Had the fastest last 600m of the race when resuming over 1600m in a G2 at Randwick finishing 5th, was then 7th a couple of weeks later in the 7 Stakes also over 1600m and then was just run down late by Montefilia in the Hill Stakes. Clearly going to enjoy stepping up in trip and might just be in better form than the bare figures suggest.

Right You Are - Won the Listed Mornington Cup in April and the 5th in the Underwood wasn't too bad, but was only 11th in the Turnbull and he doesn't look like being good enough.

Emissary - Another who wasn't great in the Turnbull when finishing 12th and I'd be surprised if he won.

Goldman - Another who doesn't look good enough and given he usually just about leads he's going to have to do some work to get over from 18.

Okita Soushi - Royal Ascot winner in June when landing the Duke Of Edinburgh beating HMS President by a neck. Not sure he achieved a great deal in the St Leger Trial last time, but it has to be said that if this were a handicap in the UK or Ireland he would actually be getting less weight than he is from the other horses with UK/Irish ratings higher up the handicap. I don't really fancy him, but at the same time if he won I could see why did.

Fame - 2nd in the Queensland Derby in May, but that wouldn't be good enough and not improved since. 

Bois D'Argent - Ran OK in The Metropolitain when 7th and he didn't get much luck in running, but given the winner Just Fine bombed out last week then I would be surprised if that form line was good enough. 

Spirit Ridge - Stablemate of Bois D'Argent and was 2nd in The Metropolitain. Usually makes the running, but can't see him making all.

Valiant King - He has the same Irish rating as his stablemate and yet has even less weight to carry. He's very lightly raced and his only win was in a Navan maiden in May, but on his next start he was 2nd to Desert Hero at Royal Ascot. That is obviously strong form, but it was his next run that is even more eye-catching as he was only just beaten by Vauban and they pulled clear of the rest. Granted he wasn't so good on his last start, but I suspect that was being used more as a prep run ahead of his journey to Australia. Stall 1 can prove troublesome at times, but he has Jamie Kah on top so she is capable of delivering the goods.

United Nations - Was a good 2nd in the Herbert Power last week, but would be a shock winner.

Verdict - This is really competitive and to be honest it might be harder to find the winner than it will be of the Melbourne Cup next month. I'm going to put Without A Flight on top as this looks ideal for him. He was fancied for the Melbourne Cup last year, but the ground went against him as he needs it quick as he showed when going up to Queensland for his two wins. It will be quick ground here and his prep run was full of promise. I know Gold Trip is weighted to not finish in front of the 2nd and 3rd from the Turnbull, but I think he is worth more than the winning margin and the turn of foot he showed was seriously impressive. He is my main danger. Soulcombe didn't get the clearest of runs in the Turnbull and I don't think he was ridden quite as strongly as Gold Trip once out in the clear so he is next. West Wind Blows was game in that race to finish 2nd, but sometimes horses from the UK don't run as well 2nd up and his low draw does concern as he could find traffic. Clearly though if he does back it up then he can win. Valiant King is the other that really interests me especially on his Vauban form, but the draw just puts me off from making him a bet.

Without A Flight @ 11/2 with Bet365, Paddy Power and Betfair

NB If having an e/w bet William Hill are going 5 places 

Cheers Darran, great shout. I had a win bet at 15/2 this morning and then another in play at 12 on the Exchange!

Ascot 1.15
The 2M Group 2 Long Distance Cup kicks things off on Champions Day at Ascot where the ground is likely to ride very testing. Trueshan is bidding for a record breaking fourth win in the race and should go well but she’s not been up against one as smart as Aidan O’Brien’s Kyprios who looked set to take the staying division apart this season until meeting with a setback earlier in the season. He badly needed his run back from a 344 break when a creditable runner up in the Irish St Leger and with that run behind him looks the bet here under Ryan Moore.

KYPRIOS 2 points win @ 11/8 William Hill

Ascot 1.50
The Group 1 Champions Sprint run over 6F is next up and again we have a warm favourite here in the shape of Ralph Beckett’s Kinross. He was a cosy winner of this last years and with conditions to suit can give Frankie Dettori a farewell winner on his last (possibly!) Champions Day. Mill Stream is two from two on soft ground and in a first time tongue tie can run well each way with an additional place with William Buick in the saddle.

KINROSS 2 points win @ 7/4 Bet Victor
MILL STREAM 1/2 point each way @ 17/2 William Hill 1/5th 1234

Ascot 2.25
An open looking Group 1 Fillies & Mares Stakes run over 1M 4F has attracted fourteen runners. Many can be given chances but it’s the Aidan O’Brien trained Jackie Oh that takes my eye. Proven on soft/heavy ground with form figures on that terrain reading 121 she appears to be still on the upgrade and ran her best ever race when going down by just a neck in the Prix de l’Opera at Longchamp on Arc day. She steps up to 1m 4F for the first time here with her half siblings staying this trip so may even improve for it. One of the other Irish challengers, Above The Curve can also run well for Joseph O’Brien.

JACKIE OH 1 point win @ 4/1 Ladbrokes

Ascot 3.05
Eleven top milers line up for the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes. Paddington must hold an excellent chance although he’s pretty short for a horse who’s actually held on York running by Nashwa. John Gosden’s likeable filly has form in very soft ground and holds a good each way chance although the bet here for me is the French challenger Big Rock. The French have an excellent record in this race over the years winning three of the last 9 renewals. Christopher Head’s three year old has smart form chasing home not only Inspiral at Deauville but also Ace Impact in the French Derby as well as hammering Horizon Dore by 5L on heavy ground. He’s a front runner and although it’ll be tough leading all the way here he looks good each way value. I’m a big fan of Dermot Weld’s Tahiyra but didn’t like his comments in the press this week about her not really been suited by soft ground (despite having good form on a wet surface).

BIG ROCK 1 point each way @ 7/1 bet365 1/5th 123

Ascot 3.45
The most valuable race on the card is the 10F Group one Champion Stakes which has attracted nine runners. Likely favourite Horizon Dore looks skinny enough to me for a horse that’s never raced in a Group 1 and my pick here is Roger Varian’s King Of Steel who can give Frankie Dettori a double on the card. Very soft ground shouldn’t worry him and his form this season is as good as anyone’s in the field. Last year’s winner and third Bay Bridge and My Prospero have claims but there is a big outsider I can’t resist a token each way bet on. That’s Aidan O’Brien’s Point Lonsdale who will be ridden by Ryan Moore and is unbeaten in four runs on soft ground. It’s not often you get to back a O’Brien and Moore horse at such a big price and although he may not be good enough he may stay on into a place.

KING OF STEEL 1 point win @ 4/1 bet365
POINT LONSDALE 1/2 point each way @ 28/1 bet365 1/5th 123

Ascot 4.25
A maximum field of twenty for the one mile Balmoral Handicap and as usual it has a very open look about it. Top weight Migration trained by David Menuisier will have to put up a near Group performance to take this but is two from two on heavy ground and goes very well fresh as he showed when winning the Lincoln on his re-appearance at Doncaster back in March. He had a few of today’s opponents behind him that day and despite a 6lb rise in the weights from a middle draw should be very competitive. There are obviously plenty of others that one can make a case for but I can’t resist a small stakes each way saver on George Boughey’s Raadobarg who like Migration is an out and out mudlark who hasn’t won since taking the Irish Lincoln in March 2022 but has kept listed or group company since. He actually ran at this meeting last year but in the Group 1 QE II when finishing eight of 9 (beaten 5 1/2L) at 80/1.

MIGRATION 1 point each way @ 8/1 bet365 1/5th 12345
RAADOBARG 1/4 point each way @ 20/1 bet365 1/5th 12345

Decent days racing at Ascot despite the ground which will throw up a few silly winners no doubt, a smart man  wouldn't write off these french runners.

Funny thing about noise and if you get sucked in by it think about all the usual BS about city of troy coming out of the mouth pieces, 6/4 for the guineas 7/2 the guineas derby double, no wonder bookies are rich. Now lets talk about a superstar that you can back today at bigger prices than the above, TAHIYRA currently 10/3 in the 3:05 ermmmmm rocket science not needed? Even if it comes last getting 10/3 about an even money shot is an early xmas pressie. I usually think in this ground its going to be all outsiders but i must confess the shorties look quite good.

Kyprios? nah not for me at that price with the injury issue so Trueshan is value at 9/4, had a sheckle on Mullins Stratum at 100/1 this morn this one wont be wobbling across the line that's for sure.

Sandrine likes the heavy 10/1 looks ok

Angel Blue loves the heavy, big price at 33/1 but max bet for me Tahiyra

I would love to back Time Lock but skinny price tempers enthusiasm a tad.

Gonna risk a r/fc on O'meara in t'lucky last.

Anyway that's my musings, good luck all, a day of forecasts and one decent bet for this mug punter. 😁

Hi again and good luck to all with Ascot Champions day racing.......hopefully our luck has changed since returning from the Sunshine as hit nicely yday with 3 big EW  wins 👍

1.15          Trueshan  5/2                   Trawlerman  9/1 EW    WON        

1.50          Rohaan  9/1 EW  (Daily Nap )            Sandrine  8/1 EW               Vadream 12/1 EW                          4 places betfair / b365

2.25          Jackie oh  4/1                   Blue Stocking  6/1 EW    2nd                   Rue Boissonade  8/1 EW ( 5places b365 bet boost)            4 places betfair / b365    

3.05          Tahiyra   4/1                             Big Rock  8/1 EW    WON                      Paddington top 3 place @ evs betfair

long 3.35     Doom 6/1                     Prepense 12/1 EW    3rd                   ( haggis & stoute UK runners )

3.45          Horizon Dore  9/2                  Via Sistina   6/1  EW      2nd      

2 WINS 🏆 🏆 and 3 EW places soooo made nice profit 👍 💷 .........

Mrs Brahmin 3 selections in lucky last.... Docklands 6/1 EW  3rd    5 place      Bopedro 14/1 EW  4th   5 places     Coeur D'or  20/1 EW  ( 6 places b365 bet boost )    

Edited by Brahmin

It is the rugby tonight and it would be a major upset if England can turn over South Africa. I’m just banking on Owen Farrell kicking a few goals and better still a few drop goals as three in the match is 50/1. I’m sure  you can get better odds but one is 5/2 two is 12/1 and so on. Farrell is 3/1 for a max of a tenner to score just 10points and 6/4 otherwise. And 6/5 to score 9 + and it is those fine margins which just might land the cash.

leopardstown 1:55

draw data is stall 9

occupied by the frankel horse

Demotion weld’s 

Spoken truth

win

this one has an entry in the Newmarket guineas

the other horse of high interest here is

SHAMSUDDEN

Each way

Johnny murtagh

has an Aga Khan horse here and the breeder seeks a card double having run off with the opener. This horse has been well backed both runs so far and ran well latest behind a good sort and with so many O’Brien horses arriving in opposition will go off a big price again.

Edited by Sporting Sam

Back and ready to rock and roll.🎸 

catterick 1620

Quest for fun/ tasever

Both win

stablemates here one top weight and one bottom weight and both running to very good form having been denied latest. Both on opposite ends of spectrum and yard clearly unsure which can kick on the maiden or the progressive handicapper.

Mutanaaseq

each way 

the draw data horse. Mutanaaseq multiple course and distance winner can follow up here if the top weight cannot get home off his career equaling high mark and stablemate cannot take advantage of the physics.

combination forecast 

the three of them.

Edited by Sporting Sam