** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2023 World Championships

daveg

I like the looks of Huybrechts against Wright. Wright is not at his strongest and Huybrechts lives for encouters with very good players. His odd for +2.5 sets is boosted on BetFIRST to 1.90.

I also like the odd for Dimitri Van den Bergh to have the highest checkout. He managed to make a 164 finish in the first round and his first dart was always solid, obviously needed for a 100+ checkout. Ratajski winning this market would be a big surprise for me. odd of Dimi is 1.71 on BetFIRST.

Last one, I would want Van Barneveld to win against Price again, which he did already 3 times in a row this year. However, it still seems tricky to bet on a win this time. I would prefer asian handicap on sets however 1.46 for +2.5 sets on BetFIRST seems to short for me. Anyone another idea on this one?

42 minutes ago, Robaldo said:

I like the looks of Huybrechts against Wright. Wright is not at his strongest and Huybrechts lives for encouters with very good players. His odd for +2.5 sets is boosted on BetFIRST to 1.90.

I also like the odd for Dimitri Van den Bergh to have the highest checkout. He managed to make a 164 finish in the first round and his first dart was always solid, obviously needed for a 100+ checkout. Ratajski winning this market would be a big surprise for me. odd of Dimi is 1.71 on BetFIRST.

Last one, I would want Van Barneveld to win against Price again, which he did already 3 times in a row this year. However, it still seems tricky to bet on a win this time. I would prefer asian handicap on sets however 1.46 for +2.5 sets on BetFIRST seems to short for me. Anyone another idea on this one?

I find it nearly impossible to call Barney these days. He's not as good as he was - obviously - and then there's the stamina issues he seems to have from time to time. Those things might push me towards backing Price, but I'm not too sure about him at this tournament. I don't think it's a coincidence he won the title here the year there were no fans - he gets so much stick from the crowd and that's something extra he has to deal with and it's hard enough to play well when you're able to focus entirely on your own game. I don't mind the set cap you've posted to be honest and I'd be tempted to take it as a saver on a +1.5 set bet on Barney.

Tomorrow afternoons line up

Van Den Bergh V Ratajski
Aspinall V Rock
Clayton V Dolan

We start tomorrows return to Darts with Dimi Van Den Bergh taking on Ratajski. I think this match will be won by Dimi. Whilst I do think that Ratajski will likely improve on his last round 88 average, I think Dimi is the better player and performed well in his last round match, the 3-0 win over Illagan. Dimi managed a 97.20 average in that match but the 3rd set he averaged just shy of 110 and hit 75% checkout. He has also beaten Ratajski 4 of the last 5 H2H and 2/3 in 2022.

Next up, the match that everybody is waiting for when Aspinall takes on Josh Rock. I'm so surprised that Aspinall is the underdog here and I'm going to bet on him winning it. I think we saw with Rock in the last round that he still isn't 100% comfortable on this Ally Pally stage. Whilst Aspinall came out and hit a 97 average in his 3-1 win over Krcmar.  Rock won 3-0 but Rydz didn't turn up and the first leg was crucial. A 92 average wont beat Aspinall, here. 

Finally, Clayton takes on Dolan. Clayton looked good in his return to Ally Pally and I think he gets through Dolan without too much issue. Dolan is there for the taking really and quite simply I don't think he will have the fire power tomorrow. I think he has every chance of hitting another match treble. 

5pts Van Den Bergh (-1.5 sets) to beat Ratajski 4/5 paddypower
4pts Aspinall to beat Rock 5/4 paddypower
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2pts Clayton to win, hit the most 180s and highest checkout 7/4 paddypower
2.5pts Van Den Bergh to win the match, most 180s and Highest checkout 11/5 paddypower
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1pt afternoon treble - Van Den Bergh (-1.5 set handicap), Aspinall to beat Rock & Clayton to win, hist most 180s and highest checkout 10/1 paddypower

so close to the afternoon treble. I must admit I thought it would come in but Rock performed well and will now have a great chance of going deep. Van Den Bergh wins the 4/5 and for once, abit of luck the other way as Clayton wins the match treble 7/4 with the last 3 darts. Although anybody following may have seen another 180 last 3 darts for Dolan as he went T20-T20 :D 

all in all I can't complain too much but I just felt Aspinall would win that.

Evening line up 

J.Williams V Clemens
Price V RVB
Wright V Huybrechts

Jim Williams is a funny one. In both of his first 2 matches, in the first set, he has been woeful. Match 1 against Bialecki, he lost the first set with a 73 average. After the 1st set he went 96, 102, 96, 89 (deciding set) Then again, again Wade, he went 1-0 down in sets and lost that set with a 79 average. He then went 98, 85, 92, 98 (deciding set). It definitely seems like he takes that first set to "bed in" before producing his Darts. Clemens, on the other hand, was excellent against O'Connor. He hit a 95 average and because he scored well, the doubling wasn't important. He didn't need those important checkouts and he only needed 9/23 in that department. He is a player, much like Schindler, whom I always feel like will miss the big darts and so it's really hard to pick a winner in the first. I'll go with Clemens to win and both to win a set, because I can see this being a close match at the very least. 

Next up it's easily the biggest match of the evening as Gezzy Price takes on Raymond Van Barneveld. Barney seems to have a real hex on Price recently as he won the last 3 matches between the pair. It's a strange old match-up because whatever the result, you could say to yourself "obvious result" one things for sure, Barney is going to be up for it and he also produced in the last match. I honestly thought Meikle would go on to win against Barney but he played really well and unlike alot of other players, he isn't scared of Price. I think it's worth a small bet on Barney to come through again. 

Finally, Peter Wright takes on Kim Huybrechts. I must admit that this match doesn't get my pulses racing. I think Wright will come through with ease 4-1 or 4-2. I think Wright is being labelled as somebody who could be at risk this year but he looked good enough in the last round (88 average) and I still think he will win this and likely beat Van Den Bergh too. Perhaps to set up a tie with Rock. Where to go with a bet though is the question. 

2pts Clemens to win match and both to win a set evens paddypower
2pts RVB to beat Price 9/4 paddypower
1pt Evening treble - Over 4.5 sets Williams Vs Clemens / RVB to win / Wright to win and hit most 180s 6/1 paddypower

7 minutes ago, Fader said:

Yeah, I meant did you follow the game, not the bet. Clayton hit an absolute ton of 140s as usual but yeah, lucky last 3 dart checkout.

Sometimes it's such fine margins. 100's, 140's and 180's thrown were very similar and Dolan actually averaged higher than Clayton but Clayton checked out slightly better and that was the difference. 4-1 to Clayton was harsh on Dolan I reckon.

Draw is really taking shape now. I suppose Peter Wright was the first big casualty as nobody expected Wade to make the latter stages. Here is the afternoon shift :

Searle V De Sousa
Noppert V Soutar
Anderson V Dobey

An interesting line up and one full of quality. Searle takes on De Sousa first up. De Sousa was pretty unimpressive in the first couple of sets against Whitlock with averages of 81.56 and 76.88 but he came back into it and hit 102.48 in the third set, 96.16 in the 4th and then won a deciding set with an 88.13 average. It's really going to be about which De Sousa turns up. Searle won his match 3-0 and hit an 88.60 average but you get the feeling that he could have gone higher if pushed. H2H shows these two have met 4 times and De Sousa has won 3, which is the last 3 that they've played. 2 of those 3 have been deciding legs and only one of those matches was this year. A 6-4 win for De Sousa at the Belgian Darts Open that Dave Chisnall won. It's likely going to be a very close match and I can't see any less than 6 sets.

Danny Noppert takes on Soutar in the second match. Noppert should have beaten Cameron 3-0 but instead he let him back into the match and Cameron ruined my bet by hitting 180 after 180 before Noppert finally stopped mucking about and won the match. Meanwhile, Soutar beat Gurney 3-0 and is yet to drop a set after another 3-0 win over Cuming. This one could be a close one also, Soutar beat Noppert in their h2h but you would think Noppert would be more likely on the big stage. I think I will try Noppert to win with most 180s again. Whilst the "both to win a set, Noppert wins" is also an option.

Finally, Gary Anderson takes on Chris Dobey. Anderson hit a 96 average in the win over Razma and hit 4 180s. Meanwhile, Dobey won with a 3-0 win over Kleermaker but his average was 10pts lower than that of Anderson and the h2h shows Anderson winning the last 3 and 2 of those being this year. Infact, Dobey has won just 2 of the 10 matches between the two. With that in mind, and the fact Anderson looked much better of the two, for me, it's an easy pick on Ando. We should see 180s galore in this match and although it's pushing it to suggest 20. The boosted 13/2 on this outcome looks a nice bet.

5.5pts Noppert to beat Soutar and hit most 180s 10/11 paddypower
4pts Anderson to beat Dobey and both players to win a set evens paddypower
2pts Anderson to beat Dobey and both players to hit 6 180s 2/1 paddypower
2pts 20 or more 180s (Anderson V Dobey) 13/2 paddypower
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1pt afternoon treble - Both players to throw 6+ 180s (Searle V De Sousa) / Noppert to win and hit most 180s / Anderson win and both players win a set 7/1 paddypower

1 minute ago, Torque said:

Unbelievable from Noppert. Two sets and a break of throw ahead, then loses his throw eight times in a row to lose 4-2. Credit to Soutar though - some great outs.

2-0 in sets, a break up and to go 2-0 in legs at one point it was something like Noppert 100 odd and Soutar 330 and he still lost the leg and went on to lose all those others. Darts is special lol

2 minutes ago, Fader said:

2-0 in sets, a break up and to go 2-0 in legs at one point it was something like Noppert 100 odd and Soutar 330 and he still lost the leg and went on to lose all those others. Darts is special lol

Something similar happened later in the match as well. Noppert just fell off a cliff - kept blocking the treble 20 bed first shot and that seemed to throw him.

Well MVG is really performing. It's the best he has played at Ally Pally these last few games and he had a solid performance against him last night and still won. Mensur was a consistent 100 average for much of the game so that bodes well for him and not so much for everybody else. Was glad to see Smith come back and win against a tough opponent in Schindler. Schindler completely outgunned him on the 180 count, too. A good sign. Here is the afternoon session, today.

Van Duijvenbode V Ross Smith
Cross V King
Chizzy V Bunting

I like this session and especially the first and last matches as it will be quick Darts and Darts like that I much prefer to watch. I think Cross and Chizzy are good things this afternoon. I thought King performed well in his last match but the heat up on stage and the stamina looked an issue as usual with him and I think Cross looked pretty impressive, too. I think he beats King. Chizzy should have too much for Bunting, too. Bunting, I expected more from in his last round match and unless those doubles go straight in, I just don't think it will happen for him.

It's the first match that I'm not sure about. Ross Smith has played DVD here before, only last year and was 3-0 up in a first to 4 and even had match darts. It was a year where I also had a bet on Ross Smith, much like this year and so he will remember that match for sure and it may make him hesitant in his play. Less aggressive. Smith, though, is a much better player now than he was then and he now has a B game. I think he wins it and gets some revenge. However, the bet has to be on 180s as both of these smash them in for fun. We will probably need 6 sets atleast to win any 180 bet so aslong as they both turn up then we'll be OK.

2pts Cross, R.Smith and Chizzy treble 5/2 skybet
2pts R.Smith most 180s in session 7/4 skybet
2pts R.Smith to win and both players to hit 6 180s 4/1 paddypower
0.25pt correct scores - R.Smith win 4-2 / Cross win 4-0 / Chizzy win 4-0 - 125/1 skybet

so initially my first post of the day I said about they will need a good 6 sets to reach the 180s. That's because initially the bet I wanted to do was something like 10 180s each or 20+ 180s and I expected a good price. However, the market has it up at over 19.5 the line. it's going overboard at odds on and so i actually think it's worth going the other way in a small bet fashion among the other bets I've gone with.

1 hour ago, Fader said:

somehow you always knew that DVD would find a way in that match. It's so odd, Smith looked so solid but so weak. 5 match darts. 19 180s. Just how? 

Checking out cost him -  I don't follow darts as closely as you do but I'm thinking that's always been a weakness of his. Scoring was fine and all those 180's gives you a very good chance with the 180's session bet - in fact I can't see how any of the other players come close to that total.

17 minutes ago, Torque said:

Checking out cost him -  I don't follow darts as closely as you do but I'm thinking that's always been a weakness of his. Scoring was fine and all those 180's gives you a very good chance with the 180's session bet - in fact I can't see how any of the other players come close to that total.

lol, yeah can't see anybody hitting 20 but way things are going you never know. Bunting probably hits 20 :D

well the 7/4 does indeed come in but unbelievable how Bunting rocks up with a 107 average. Watch him go out next round with a 92 lol. A good evening of Darts tonight. Here's my idea of the outcome

Humphries V Van Der Voort
Price V De Sousa
Rock V Clayton

2pts Humphries to win, most 180s and highest checkout 13/8 paddypower
3pts Price to hit 2+ 100+ checkouts evens skybet
2.5pts Rock to win, most 180s 8/5 paddypower
0.5pt treble - Humphries match treble / Price to win Set 1 3-0 / Rock to win and hit most 180s 24/1 paddypower

52 minutes ago, Fader said:

well the 7/4 does indeed come in but unbelievable how Bunting rocks up with a 107 average. Watch him go out next round with a 92 lol. A good evening of Darts tonight. Here's my idea of the outcome

Humphries V Van Der Voort
Price V De Sousa
Rock V Clayton

2pts Humphries to win, most 180s and highest checkout 13/8 paddypower
3pts Price to hit 2+ 100+ checkouts evens skybet
2.5pts Rock to win, most 180s 8/5 paddypower
0.5pt treble - Humphries match treble / Price to win Set 1 3-0 / Rock to win and hit most 180s 24/1 paddypower

Good luck. I'm on the first one - managed to get 2.75 as a boost on 365.