** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat - Sunday 6th February

Day two of the Dublin Racing Festival at Leopardstown where the ground remains on the slow side. Musselburgh also host their second day of their Trials meeting with the ground also on the soft side following rain on Saturday. Here’s my thoughts on the 9 ITV races :-

Leopardstown 1.20

Eight go to post for the 2m 5 1/2F novice chase. We have a very warm favourite here in the Willie Mullins trained Galopin Des Champs who was a highly impressive winner of a beginners chase over course and distance over Christmas impressing with his fast and fluent jumping. He’s a very short price for a horse who’s only won a beginners chase but he was a smart hurdler who won at the Cheltenham Festival last season and will be hard to beat in a race Mullins has won on 5 of the last 9 runnings with the likes of Monkfish and Faugheen. In typical Mullins style he also saddle three others although the one to chase the favourite hom maybe the JP McManus owned Capodanno who chased home Bob Olinger last time out.

Musselburgh 1.32

A disappointing turnout in quantity and quality here as Seven go to post for the Scottish Triumph Hurdle, a listed race run over just short of two miles. The free running Inca Prince has run away with two poor juvenile hurdles since joining Ruth Jefferson and the trainer has booked the services of Brian Hughes. This represents a step up in class mind and a big threat comes from the Nicky Henderson challenger Impulsive One who was last seen when getting beaten on the all weather at Wolverhampton. Irish trainer John McConnell saddles a brace of runners in Innatendue who’s making his British debut having joined the handler from France and Calvados, a filly who has already been runner up in listed company at Aintree earlier in the season. She was last seen when beaten 18L by the smart Fil Dor in the Knight Frank Juvenile Hurdle at Leopardstown on Boxing Day. That wasn’t a bad effort and at the current odds is maybe the best value here with Sean Bowen riding. She sports a first time hood today which may help eke further improvement out of her. 

CALVADOS 1 point win @ 11/2 Bet365

Leopardstown 1.50

A small but select field of five go to post for the Dublin Chase run over 2m 1F. This is a race that’s only been run on four occasions and Willie Mullins has won all four, twice with Min and twice with this years warm favourite Chacun Pour Soi. The latter would be an even stronger favourite had he not blotted his copybook at Sandown last time out in the Tingle Creek at Sandown when running a lifeless race finishing a 34L last of five behind Greaneteen. That surely wasn’t his form but it’s hard to take odds on about a horse that ran so flat last time out. The winner of the Tingle Creek Greaneteen is over from England and is probably the value play today. He not only had Chacun Pour Soi behind last time but also Captain Guinness and with the other pair Cash Back and Dunvegan 10lb inferior on official ratings it maybe worth a small interest. The only nagging doubt is the current form of Paul Nicholls which is pretty dire by his standards. 

GREANETEEN 1 point win @ 4/1 Boylesports

Musselburgh 2.05

Six assemble for the Scottish Supreme Novices’ Hurdle run over 1m 7F 124yds. Despite its name this race will most certainly not be causing any ripples in the Cheltenham race of the same name with the highest rated here only 128. That is the Olly Murphy trained Restandbethankful, a handicap hurdle winner last time out at Huntingdon under a big weight. He should run well. Also at the head of the market is the Donald McCain trained Since Day One who’s chasing a four timer here having won three modest maiden/novice hurdles at Newcastle this season. He too should be competitive. The Irish raider Kihavah shouldn’t be under estimated either. Trained by Aidrian Paul Keatley he ran well in a decent handicap last weekend at Cheltenham and at the current prices is actually the percentage call. I’ll take him to take this under Conor O’Farrell. 

KIHAVAH 1 point win @ 11/2 William Hill

Leopardstown 2.25

One of two ultra competitive handicaps on the Leopardstown card today. This one is over fences and run over 2m 5F 61yds. 17 go to post with the current favourite being the Willie Mullins trained Blackbow who ran well on his handicap debut at Fairyhouse last month over 2m 1F and should appreciate the extra half a mile today. Novice’s Gallant John Joe and Max Flamingo are interesting on their handicap debuts especially the latter who drops in trip here having finished a credible fourth in grade one company here over the Christmas period. In a wide open handicap he is worth a small each way interest with conditional jockey PJ O’Hanlon taking a valuable 7lb off of the gelding. 

MAX FLAMINGO 1 point each way @ 8/1 Bet365 1/5th 12345

Musselburgh 2.40

A Pertemps qualifier run over three miles and a healthy enough field of eleven going to post. Martin Keighley’s Brorson landed a punt in no uncertain manner when scooting up in a poor race at Fakenham last time on his first start at three miles under today’s jockey Sean Bowen and despite a 13lb rise in the handicap may still be improving so looks a decent bet to follow up here and enhance his credentials for the final at Cheltenham in March. Wakool is chasing a four timer for the Nick Alexander stable having risen some 23lb for that hat trick. He stays well and looks a threat whilst Fergal O’Brien’s Ratfacemcdougall has good track form and should also be thereabouts. 

BRORSON 2 points win @ 3/1 Bet365

Leopardstown 3.00

The Chantelle Pharma Irish Champion Hurdle has been won by Henry De Bromhead’s superstar mare Honeysuckle for the last two years and it will be a major shock if she doesn’t win again. She’s unbeaten in 13 starts now (including her point to point) which includes 9 graded one contests. She looked better than ever when winning on her re-appearance at Fairyhouse and let’s hope all goes well with her during the race and she comes home safe and sound. Zanahiyr can chase her home.

Musselburgh 3.15

A competitive eight runner two mile handicap chase with a decent pot of £12k to the winner. All eight runners have chances of sorts with Martin Keighley’s Cotswolds stable represented by likely favourite in Sarasota Star who arrives here in decent form. It maybe worth chancing bottom weight Lucky Flight who was going well when unseating his jockey two from home at Kelso on Thursday. This is a quick turnaround but in such an open race it maybe worth a speculative each way bet on Lucinda Russell’s 8 year old. 

LUCKY FLIGHT 1/2 point each way @ 12/1 Bet365 1/5th 123

Leopardstown 3.35

Nine runners go to post for the Tattersalls Ireland Novice Hurdle run over two miles. Yet again another warm favourite in Sir Gerhard who was a top bumper horse last season winning the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham. Willie Mullins’ seven year old was very impressive on his hurdling debut when winning over course and distance on Boxing Day when a big odds on chance and can take this en route to a tilt at one of the two big novice hurdles at Cheltenham in six weeks time. There’s little between My Mate Mozzie and Statuaire on Royal Bond running at Fairyhouse in November and the biggest threat to the favourite may come from the Gordon Elliott runner Three Stripe Life who only went down by a length and a half to his stable mate Mighty Potter over course and distance over Christmas in the Future Champions Novice Hurdle. That form as it stands is better than Sir Gerhards romp but it’s the latter who may have the more progression and looks a good bet here despite his short odds. 

SIR GERHARD 3 points win @ 11/10 Bet365

all betfair sp mainly favs day!

1245 leopardstown party central and glan 

120 leopardstown master mcshee e/w

150 leopardstown chacun pur soi

300 leopardstown honey suckle

335 leopardstown sir gerhard

100 musselburgh broadway joe

205 musselburgh since day one

315 musselburgh nero rock

420 musselburgh zafar

Really wanted to have a go at this irish race ......I'd advise caution as my ratings struggle with the class of race in Ireland but I've set the bar high and used 2 diff ones  so I'll have a bash at it and we'll see what happens lol

Blackbow  8.4 8.4 betfair 

Minella times  8.0  34.0 betfair 

Ten ten  7.6  14/1 

The shunter  7.3  10/1 

1pt each 

11 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

430 kemp 

Dingle  9.6  7/2 

Lammas 9.2  8.2 betfair 

Sannaadh 8.7 7/1 

Mostawaaa 8.2  20/1 

2pts dingle ...1pt others 

got dingle and sannadh already. we dont know where dance at night is and i havrnt had word from info so think good shot at prices

Screenshot_20220205-232912.png

Edited by Wildgarden

4 minutes ago, Wildgarden said:

got dingle and sannadh already. we dont know where dance at night is and i havrnt had word from info so think good shot at prices

Yeah I think it hinges on where dance at night is ......he's going further and needs to go a lot faster to beat some of these ....interesting race on a Sunday though ?

11 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

Yeah I think it hinges on where dance at night is ......he's going further and needs to go a lot faster to beat some of these ....interesting race on a Sunday though ?

ye. mclarke has it as a pick maybe cos probert on and coming from.novices good on stats? probert has bad strike up in distance though.

Edited by Wildgarden

Two Trixie today:

1.32 Muss Inca Prince 13/8

3.25 Km Old Port 6/4

4.00 Km La Tihaty 10/11 (PL Nap)

1 x 3.2 pt Trixie = Poss return of 23.08

1.00 Muss Broadway Joe 10/11

2.05 Muss Since Day One 13/8

2.40 Muss Wakool 11/4

1 x 2.8 Trixie = poss return of 28.55

Singles:

2.40 Muss Wakool 2.3 pts at 3.8 = 8.31 poss return

= 8.3 pts

Fun bet with @richard-westwood ratings

4.30 Km Dance At Night 7/2, Dingle 3/1, Sanaadh 17/2 and Uzincso 9/1 (had to refer back to TF as opposed to RPR on this one) = 2 pts bet i.e 0.5 pts on each.  I kind of agree with @Wildgardennot to increase stakes on the shorter priced options.  This should be fun to watch 

10.3 pts staked

Just a bit of fun my picks for a lucky 15

Leop 2.25 Rebel Gold

Leop 4.10 In from the Cold

Kemp 4.00 Karabina

Kemp 4.30 Lammas

All with Sky for the extra places

Also 10p each way trebles

2.25 Rebel Gold & Ten Ten

4.10 In from the cold & Wouldn’t you agree

4.30 Lammas & Dingle (year of dragon been backed as if can’t be beat)

Hate picking one and seeing the other run well which I decided against.

2 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

ye. mclarke has it as a pick maybe cos probert on and coming from.novices good on stats? probert has bad strike up in distance though.

I don't put that much thought into it I'm afraid.

Having said that I do prefer a male jockey to a female jockey (although the 2 in this race do have good records).

System criteria are DSLR > 25, age < 7 and exclude claiming jockeys.

There are actually 3 qualifiers (Year Of The Dragon and Mostawaa are the other 2) and in these situations I will go for the one with shortest odds.

18 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

all betfair sp mainly favs day!

1245 leopardstown party central won 2.89 held of say goodbye with nice late run at big price and glan.

120 leopardstown master mcshee e/w 2nd bit of profit there on the place. +0.98

150 leopardstown chacun pur soi won 1.63

300 leopardstown honey suckle won + 0.24

335 leopardstown sir gerhard won +0.62

100 musselburgh broadway joe 2nd ;-(

205 musselburgh since day one 2nd

315 musselburgh nero rock 2nd

420 musselburgh zafar nowhere

let down by 2nds -0.7 lsp one if them weeks.

Edited by Wildgarden

15 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

Really wanted to have a go at this irish race ......I'd advise caution as my ratings struggle with the class of race in Ireland but I've set the bar high and used 2 diff ones  so I'll have a bash at it and we'll see what happens lol

Blackbow  8.4 8.4 betfair 

Minella times  8.0  34.0 betfair 

Ten ten  7.6  14/1 

The shunter  7.3  10/1 

1pt each 

I thought blackbow ..5th..was going to do it ....faded at the last ..... almost every race ends like this in Ireland....stay away richee

Edited by richard-westwood

6 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

sanadh wins for saver on the forum for me embarassed with last few days results. dingle 2nd for lovely 1-2 

+19.6 lsp use bsp as usual

Edited by Wildgarden

18 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

430 kemp 

Dingle  9.6  7/2 

Lammas 9.2  8.2 betfair 

Sannaadh 8.7 7/1 

Mostawaaa 8.2  20/1 

2pts dingle ...1pt others 

Sannaadh beats dingle !!...but will get paid at massive 14/1 ! ....Nice doing business lol  ...I do love a drifter ?

1 minute ago, richard-westwood said:

Sannaadh beats dingle !!...but will get paid at massive 14/1 ! ....Nice doing business lol  ...I do love a drifter ?

Very well done; I will have to be content with 17/2 as I don't get BOG.  RPR top rated.  Works sometimes and Hollie Doyle in cracking form.  Many thanks; this may have put me in front for the day