** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat-Wednesday December 9

Morning All

The International Jockeys Challenge takes place today in Hong Kong at Happy Valley

Should be a fascinating watch [Races 4,5, 7 & 8]

I think two of the European riders have drawn decent horses so will play them both in the Top Jockey market

Ryan Moore @ 5-1 William Hill

Pierre-Charles Boudot @ 11-2 Paddy Power

1pt on each

All prices Bet365:

11.45 Lingfield - 1pt e/w Nebuchadnezzar @ 12/1

A few of these have to prove their stamina here and I think Nebucadnezzar can go well back on the flat having been running quite well over hurdles of late. Was in decent form in nice enough races when last seen on the level and this mark looks fair so quite like him at the price.

12.55 Hexham - 1pt e/w Crank Em Up @ 14/1

Shaped well over four miles last time and I think you're going to need plenty of excess stamina at this track on heavy ground today. Should strip fitter now, he's off a good mark and looks a big price for a horse who's a guaranteed stayer and appears in decent form.

2.15 Lingfield - 1pt e/w Pilot Wings @ 16/1

All of this one's best form has come on the all-weather so this is a welcome return to the artificial surface and has dropped down to a fair mark again with the rider taking off a further 7lbs. Ran well here three starts ago and looks a big price returning down the weights today. 

2.25 Hexham - 1pt e/w Final Fling @ 8/1

Another one with excess stamina here who likely found good ground too sharp for him at Newcastle when last seen. Is down the weights as a result and this test really ought to suit today so I think we'll see him go close now. 

2.45 Lingfield - 1pt e/w Libretta @ 9/1

Ran well last time when not having the clearest of passages but keeping on for third and that was its second run back from a long absence. Remains lightly raced so more to come and this is an easier contest too so quite a lot to like this afternoon.

1215 ling 

Delicate kiss  255

Buckingham  253 

Corazon espinado 250 

Top 2 here have bern posting good times over 1mile ...corazon looks well treated currently but I think needs 7f rather than 8 ...just doesnt seem to last home 

Delicate kiss 4pt win 11/2 bet365 

Buckingham 4pt win 9/2 sky 

115 ling 

Dancing feet   250 

Queens course  245 

Stay classy 243 

Dancing feet is surely capable if winning a race like this and top rated today so looks time to play 

Dancing feet 4pts win 9/4 bet365 

Cagnes

1.07.Ole Caballero

1 42 Kazoo

No time for write ups but very interesting that Josef Vana Jr

Son of the legendary Velka Pardubice winner as trainer and jockey brings 3 from Czech Republic to South of France today on a weak looking card with few of the top yards or jockeys present. 

His first mount was impeded twiceby falling horses in the later stages. Difficult to tell if it was fit enough. 

2 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

1215 ling 

Delicate kiss  255

Buckingham  253 

Corazon espinado 250 

Top 2 here have bern posting good times over 1mile ...corazon looks well treated currently but I think needs 7f rather than 8 ...just doesnt seem to last home 

115 ling 

Dancing feet   250 

Queens course  245 

Stay classy 243 

Dancing feet is surely capable if winning a race like this and top rated today so looks time to play 

1st 3rd 3rd ...14pts profit on the day 

3 hours ago, harrisman said:

Cagnes

1.07.Ole Caballero

1 42 Kazoo

No time for write ups but very interesting that Josef Vana Jr

Son of the legendary Velka Pardubice winner as trainer and jockey brings 3 from Czech Republic to South of France today on a weak looking card with few of the top yards or jockeys present. 

His first mount was impeded twiceby falling horses in the later stages. Difficult to tell if it was fit enough. 

All poor- obviously a little holiday by the sea disguised as a business trip!! 

4 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

1215 ling 

Delicate kiss  255

Buckingham  253 

Corazon espinado 250 

115 ling 

Dancing feet   250 

Queens course  245 

Stay classy 243 

Pretty spot on with the ratings, rich. 

7 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

Pretty spot on with the ratings, rich. 

Yeah they've been pretty accurate of late ....its nice to see ....I like the winners of course but i like it better when the ratings are very accurate especially in the big races ....it helps people make an informed choice whatever they decide and if it helps make someone  a few quid like they have done many times then i cant ask for more ...so I'll keep putting them out there and trying to make as accurate as possible ....this is the way ??

1 minute ago, richard-westwood said:

Yeah they've been pretty accurate of late ....its nice to see ....I like the winners of course but i like it better when the ratings are very accurate especially in the big races ....it helps people make an informed choice whatever they decide and if it helps make someone  a few quid like they have done many times then i cant ask for more ...so I'll keep putting them out there and trying to make as accurate as possible ....this is the way ??

You’re doing well lately and I’ve always found your ratings very good anyway. You had top 3 correct in the one race but in a different order. Do you try to improve your ratings, Or are you can completely happy with how they are? Also how long has it taken you to get where you are now with your ratings

1 hour ago, Villa Chris said:

You’re doing well lately and I’ve always found your ratings very good anyway. You had top 3 correct in the one race but in a different order. Do you try to improve your ratings, Or are you can completely happy with how they are? Also how long has it taken you to get where you are now with your ratings

I've evolved constantly over the past 10 11 years ......when I first came onto this site about 10 years ago I was doing speed ratings and I think my first post was speed ratings for the 1000 guineas where I tipped blue bunting at 66/1 top rated and he duly won ...winning me 670 in the process.which was pretty special ...I probably spent the next couple years having a fair bit of success with the speed ratings but I realised after a while that there are many factors involved with what makes a horse win on the day .....weight ...distance....conditions ....jockey ...course ..class ..I was watching a documentary on the weather one day and they said they improved the computers weather accuracy from 18% to over 60 % by running 30 or 40 slightly differing scenarios and going with the most likely outcome that the computer predicted overall ....I remember thinking what if I applied that to racing ....so every single day I picked races and for about 12 monthes I taught myself why certain horses won and why horses lost when they were meant to win .....I learnt how to hcap horses ....how to rate class .....I could already speed rate ....so I came up with a spreadsheet that could rate it all ......it worked really  well so then I made another that would give preference to class in one rating.....would give weight preference in another.....speed in another and so on .....eventually after about 20 diff spreadsheets or programs and I'm talking hundreds of hours of programming i taught it to basically look at the big picture and take it's best guess at what the horse could should do today based on everything  ....and that's just what it does ....its as accurate now as it's ever been so I dont mess with it much but I do sometimes alter variables or maths and run the new thing alongside the old to see if it improves profit etc ........I have to constantly watch things though ....I started getting a run of bad results about 12 months ago and after investigating I realised that an error had occurred in the complicated maths .....was literally a bug that the program had created which inserted a single division sign in the 30 line code and then auto saved it so I have to periodically check the code now and even reload an original copy to make sure these bugs dont occur .....I bet solely for fun ....but the ratings have paid for a couple of holidays over the years and given me so much fun and excitement  so I feel all the hard work has been paid off  in full and I just trust them now blindly .....I wait to see what the ratings are then just look for the best value .....but I'm always open to new ideas or posibiltys ...sometimes ill see something or an idea will pop into my head and ill try it to see if it works .....in the last 12 monthes I altered the class rating and it seems to have made the ratings more accurate so I left it in ....constantly evolving lol 

I had this book years ago which had a formula you could do on a calculator ....it was about 7 or 9 stage formula .....I lost the book and couldn't remember the title .....if I could see it again I might try that because it was pretty good at picking winners ....if anyone knows what it is I'd love to know lol

Edited by richard-westwood

16 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

I've evolved constantly over the past 10 11 years ......when I first came onto this site about 10 years ago I was doing speed ratings and I think my first post was speed ratings for the 1000 guineas where I tipped blue bunting at 66/1 top rated and he duly won ...winning me 670 in the process.which was pretty special ...I probably spent the next couple years having a fair bit of success with the speed ratings but I realised after a while that there are many factors involved with what makes a horse win on the day .....weight ...distance....conditions ....jockey ...course ..class ..I was watching a documentary on the weather one day and they said they improved the computers weather accuracy from 18% to over 60 % by running 30 or 40 slightly differing scenarios and going with the most likely outcome that the computer predicted overall ....I remember thinking what if I applied that to racing ....so every single day I picked races and for about 12 monthes I taught myself why certain horses won and why horses lost when they were meant to win .....I learnt how to hcap horses ....how to rate class .....I could already speed rate ....so I came up with a spreadsheet that could rate it all ......it worked really  well so then I made another that would give preference to class in one rating.....would give weight preference in another.....speed in another and so on .....eventually after about 20 diff spreadsheets or programs and I'm talking hundreds of hours of programming i taught it to basically look at the big picture and take it's best guess at what the horse could should do today based on everything  ....and that's just what it does ....its as accurate now as it's ever been so I dont mess with it much but I do sometimes alter variables or maths and run the new thing alongside the old to see if it improves profit etc ........I have to constantly watch things though ....I started getting a run of bad results about 12 months ago and after investigating I realised that an error had occurred in the complicated maths .....was literally a bug that the program had created which inserted a single division sign in the 30 line code and then auto saved it so I have to periodically check the code now and even reload an original copy to make sure these bugs dont occur .....I bet solely for fun ....but the ratings have paid for a couple of holidays over the years and given me so much fun and excitement  so I feel all the hard work has been paid off  in full and I just trust them now blindly .....I wait to see what the ratings are then just look for the best value .....but I'm always open to new ideas or posibiltys ...sometimes ill see something or an idea will pop into my head and ill try it to see if it works .....in the last 12 monthes I altered the class rating and it seems to have made the ratings more accurate so I left it in ....constantly evolving lol 

Great stuff. Thanks for the insight into your ratings and how you eventually got there.