Racehorse Syndicates

Raceday thoughts

So here we are, after 5 months of the experiment we are about to have our first run.

The experience to date has been a pretty positive one, everything the club said in their bumf has been delivered, regular magazines, updates in emails, videos and photos etc...

I only have one gripe and that is why Donald McCain has chosen to go down the bumper route when everything said previously was targeting his hurdling debut. Dont get me wrong I dont mind if thats what is best for the horse, I just think an explanation to the owners was required.

The decision to run a horse with a 7lb penalty in a bumper, 6 months after his first run tell me one or two things. 

Firstly they just need to get him sharpened up before going hurdling, the fact that they have not put Lorcan Murtagh (who has been riding him at home) on board is a telling sign also. Normally you would want to offset the penalty with a claimer but I think they want to know what they have got and the feedback from Brian Hughes will be invaluable going forward. In this scenario I think the result is secondary. (drifted out to 9/2 as I speak)

Second scenario is that they think he's a future champion and they dont need to take any weight off his back and he will eat this lot for breakfast, next stop Cheltenham!!!

I'm expecting a run out and not much more today. Its a sharp enough track over a trip short of his last win and we should remember he was trained up to the minute when winning for Gordon Elliott with one eye on the sales that day in Sligo. This is now a long term project.

:ok

5 hours ago, Donnyflyer said:

Good luck today Billy. 

I'm tempted to get a share in Gilka looks a real nice prospect.. 

Yeah I like Gika too:ok

Last Golden Ticket:
Very disappointed and yet to here the official explanation from the trainer. Apparently someone at the track heard Brian Hughes say he hated the ground from start to finish. Coasted in 8th and looked after for another day.

Will update anything official but looks like we have a summer jumper?

Official Report

On Friday 10 January, Last Golden Ticket finished eighth in the 3.35 at Sedgefield in Division 2 of the Open National Hunt Flat Race (Class 5) over 2m1f. Last Golden Ticket jumped off in fourth place under Brian Hughes and hugged the inside. He maintained this prominent position passing the post with a circuit to run on the undulating course, but was niggled at the top of the hill with half a mile to run. He soon dropped out of contention as the leaders drew clear, and was brought home in his own time to be beaten 86 lengths by the winner, Lubeat Foras. 

After the race, Brian Hughes said he took the shortest route round the inside due to his penalty (for winning in Ireland) and the fact the ground was soft, but Last Golden Ticket failed to cope with the holding ground. Brian suggesting waiting for better ground could prove fruitful, a view confirmed by trainer, Donald McCain. 

No complaints from the trainer, honourmission  finished with a gash on left fore leg, dont know when it happened in race, he was giving the kirby horse 24lb, and had beaten it 10 lengths last Time out, in better ground and had 6lb penalty but reckons the winner was primed for today as there was a bit of cash for it.

He will  update tomorro

2 hours ago, BillyHills said:

Yeah I like Gika too:ok

Last Golden Ticket:
Very disappointed and yet to here the official explanation from the trainer. Apparently someone at the track heard Brian Hughes say he hated the ground from start to finish. Coasted in 8th and looked after for another day.

Will update anything official but looks like we have a summer jumper?

Official Report

Definitely didn't like the ground but had a good blow out.. 

Morning all, might need some help here. I seem to have ESS (empty stable syndrome) it’s a recognised condition especially on owners group Facebook page. Now on Tuesday I looked at the racing pages for @Darran hunter chase preview and then noticed that @BillyHills had posted about Miranda shares being available. That was a easy decision having won some money on her over Xmas and got the wife to agree (she watched the race with me). Then on Friday saw @Valiant Thor post so yesterday was looking at the other horses. Had made up my mind to get Mark Johnston’s one, always liked him as a trainer guaranteed to find a horse to improve each year as a 3/4 year old over 1.2 - 1.4 mile. So when talking to the wife she said what others are available I was going to get you Cable Guy. ‘Why’ goes I, it’s a scruffy 2 year old. Well it’s trained by Charlie (we have a 12yr Chocolate Lab called ....) and the Dam is Diane’s Choice (my mum is called .....) so I now have Cable Guy. Now the dilemma do I still get My Friend Stan? It looks a promising type? Do I wait to see what others come along later in the year? How can you possibly make the right choice? How can real owners do this? This is worse than Fantasy Racing. I think I will get 5 or 6 to cover both codes and spread the interest over time, but how do you say no?

Slightly off topic but had a strange thing happen yesterday had a Jockey get off my first selection of my 10p e/w Lucky 15 half way through the race @richard-westwood and instead of curse and swear I was actually pleased to see the jockey and horse were both ok, that would not have happened last year! Thanks to above Billy and Richard for two winners picked one from trends and the right Burrows along with silver sheen to give me 3 winners!

Really enjoying this forum so many good ‘voices’ I am learning quite a lot quickly. 

Elf de re runs in the 1st at kelso

This was a crowd racing horse before  last race, which it scooted up, and was sold, with profits devided amongst those who had shares in this horse.

It is up against a short priced favourite,  but was always well thought of

@Alley Cat Glover

I would go for it if I was you, I used the winnings from a bet to buy mine so cost me nothing in effect,plus it gives me a bit more interest in the game as Im basically more of a stats driven flat only person than a form type so it may give me a different perspective on things.

Like yourself I thought of one from each code so initialy went for GILKA & MY FRIEND STAN, but my lad wanted to go for one proven one JABOTICABA and the unraced CABLE GUY so ended up with all 4 ?.

*** aftertiming alert ***

While looking on my owners page I noticed That ASDAA  had multiple entries which is usually a sign that they're ''up for it'' (especially if they re at the head of the market and money for them) so had a nice tickle on that one and it duly popped in , so happy as a sandboy ?

Good luck whatever you decide :ok

Edited by Valiant Thor
formatting

57 minutes ago, Valiant Thor said:

While looking on my owners page I noticed That ASDAA  had multiple entries which is usually a sign that they're ''up for it'' (especially if they re at the head of the market and money for them) so had a nice tickle on that one and it duly popped in , so happy as a sandboy ?

Good luck whatever you decide :ok

Yes I put some on Asdaa last night as well watched him last week at Southwell apparently does not like it there. Some of the owners could not understand why he was back there. Obviously Chelmsford suits him more. He has 2 more entries this week Weds and Fri at Wolves and Newcastle. I guess he may run with a penalty. Not sure when the handicapper will hit him with a rise. Seems in good form at present and Johnston likes doing that.

watched Stans 3 runs and all good and excuses not really needed but they are there if needed. Obviously the Dam was unraced but all good pedigree.

Gone for it that’s 2 from each code. Will have to ignore any new ones now for a while. Mind you not sure about the VAT reclaim not sure if it works or how quick it will be if successful. Almost buy 5 get one free!

A Wind Op Explanation from the Group;

Further Information

A soft palate cautery can allow the soft palate to return to its natural position. The soft palate separates the mouth from the back of the nose and should remain under the epiglottis. The aim of a cautery is to tighten the soft palate, reducing flexibility and the likeliness of it being dislodged. This is a simple procedure and can be repeated throughout a horse's career. Thermal cauteries are probably the most common wind operation, as the results can be dramatic, with a possible improvement in abnormal noise within just seven days in some cases. 

• 2 weeks later...

Email from Racing Emporium today - re Crocodile's renaming

I have voted for Crocodile Power seeing as his Sire was Slade Power

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

email confirmation received - Crocodile's official registered name will be CROCODILE POWER

17 hours ago, ralphie7 said:

Email from Racing Emporium today - re Crocodile's renaming

I have voted for Crocodile Power seeing as his Sire was Slade Power

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

email confirmation received - Crocodile's official registered name will be CROCODILE POWER

Nice One Ralphie?