Announcements
** Nap's Competition Result : 1st Barnsley Chop, 2nd Daisychain, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert, 4th Marmalade, KO Cup Tipsterix, Most Winners Calva Decoy**
**June Poker League Result : 1st Autogree £75, 2nd Rivrd £45, 3rd Ian309 £30**
BillyHills

Racehorse Syndicates

Syndicates
Most of you will have seen the winning interviews on either Sky Sport Racing or Racing TV where the 'little man' can mix with the big boys, well at a modest level anyway, by being part of a ownership syndicate.

These syndicates can still be out of range of the 'normal' man in the street but as we know these days there are many schemes whereby for just a few quid you can be part of the action.

Some years ago here on PL some guys got together and bought a 2% share in a horse called Dhaular Dhar trained by Jim Goldie as part of a Middleham Park syndicate. I cant remember the actual figures involved but there were mixed feelings about the experience. They managed to get badges when it ran most of the time but the feedback from the company was pretty poor.

Maybe things have moved on since and we all know Middleham Park is a very successful syndicate. I have just been on their site and for example a 2yo trained by Mark Johnston is on offer for £1,250 for a 2.5% share plus £92 per month. To me that is still a pretty expensive hobby.

I have decided to get involved as part of a project just to see if these really cheap syndicates can be worth getting involved with. I thought i could report my findings and experiences in here and hopefully others may chip in with their experiences too.

So if anyone is part of a syndicate and would like to share their thoughts then please feel free to add anything you like.

:ok

Ok, day 1 of the project

The Purchase

I have purchased a share in a horse called Last Golden Ticket and it will be trained by Donald McCain

The syndicate is part of the Owners Group who also own Axiom and Elite Racing.

The share was just £53 for 12 months and there are 3,000 shares available.

(before anyone says anything i'm not expecting any R.O.I in this project, just the involvement)

I have been promised visits to the yard, a chance of an owners badge when it runs and a share out in any prize money the horse may win. We also get a monthly magazine and a texts about other information about the horse, entries and trainers feedback.

It was a toss up between going with this syndicate or trying the Racing Emporium which is run by the Easterby brothers in Yorkshire. Similar ways in which it is run but mainly flat horses.

I chose this syndicate and this particular horse as its not far from me, Donald McCain is 60 miles up the road so will be able to take advantage of any stable visits and also i'm gambling on him running the horse at Bangor, Haydock, Aintree or Carlisle which are within easy reach.

There are other horses available including the old boy Alcala trainer by Paul Nicholls, he is being aimed at the big Hunter Chases this season and is only £40 a share. Nicholls trains in Somerset and is just too far away for me.

The Horse

Last Golden Ticket

The horse is a 4yo that has had one run in a bumper for Gordon Elliott. He won that day in July at Sligo and has since been sold for around £50,000 from what i can gather.
He will be aimed at Novice Hurdles this season and being closely related to Golden Chieftain he could make up into a useful chaser. There is an option to carry on with the share as long as you want, also you can quit after 12 months is up.

I have been promised a welcome pack within 7 days so will report back when I know anything else:ok

Just a word about syndicates and what else there is available;

Elite Racing
£199 per year membership, 12 month rolling contract, currently 9,500 members

Axom 
Varies but a horse with Paul Nicholls called Ellarna is £3,600 buy in plus £225 per month.

Racing Emporium
Again varies but a horse called Barton Mills is £55 all in, think its 4,000 shares, others available.

Nick Bradley Racing
Eg: An unraced 2yo is for sale at £2,500 for a 5% share

Ontoawinner - famous for Quiet Reflection
Horses ranging from £400 (Dandy Highwayman) - £3000 (GForce) for a 5% share

Richard Fahey Racing Club
£249 per year to be involved in several horses.

Middleham Park
Various horse but one of the cheapest is Duc De Barry trained by Brian Ellison, he's £750 for a 5% share and £150 per month on top!

Loads of others knocking about:ok

Good luck billy. I visited his yard about 5 years ago. It's a nice set up though I think he's lost a few horses since then. I'm not to far from his place either in Cheshire. We could be neighbours haha. I'll be following this thread with interest and hope it all goes well.

5 hours ago, Zico10 said:

Good luck billy. I visited his yard about 5 years ago. It's a nice set up though I think he's lost a few horses since then. I'm not to far from his place either in Cheshire. We could be neighbours haha. I'll be following this thread with interest and hope it all goes well.

Thanks mate, I'm in Southport and apart from Eric Alston I think Donald is one of the nearest yards to me. I think P.Morris trains at St Helens but only seems to train for Koukash.
I reckon i might be going for a day trip to Bangor😂

Been to Bangor a couple of times but there is no grandstand and you have to watch the finishes head on,it's not for me,but each to their own.

May i put forward a syndicate i almost joined earlier in the year,,,

Its called the Inspire Racing club,..they sponsored a race day at Stratford in April and i had long chats with both the  co-ordinators of the club and indeed some of the members,all the feedback i had was good.

Unfortunately the majority of their trainers trained a fair way from me,so reluctantly i  decided to knock it on the head(they were even going to give me a £100 quid discount as part of the promotion for the day..doh!)

Must add my best wishes to Billy in his new venture,hope Last Golden Ticket  gets his head in front for you..

Edited by Systemight

Morning all

Interesting topic for me as I also have a share in Last Golden Ticket. I've been involved in the Owners' Group syndicates for over a year now and I have to say, it's huge fun. I've also got shares in Farouk De Cheneau, The Greater Good and Getaway Trump. Getaway Trump has so far been my most successful, winning at Plumpton, Exeter, Ayr and Sandown. 

As I said, for me it's all done for a bit of fun and I'm not expecting to win big bucks (after all I own 1/3000 of the horse, which probably equates to an ear) but it is interesting to watch the progress of these young horses that Owners' Group buy, hear from the trainers, see videos of my horse, have the opportunity for stable visits and free tickets to the races when "my" horse is running. What I liked about this syndicate is the price you pay (average £50) is all you pay, with the option to renew or cancel your share when your twelve months is up, so there's no worry about having to keep putting your hand in your pocket.

The welcome pack arrived this morning so its starting to feel real now. Can log in now to the members section of the site so should be able to access more info.

Word from the yard is that the horse has grown physically since arriving but no plans in place for a start over hurdles as yet.

IMG_0271.JPG

:ok

1 minute ago, Donnyflyer said:

I have shared in 2 owners group horses PENTLAND HILLS and ASDAA great fun for a small layout, also got a share in DESERT DREAM in the racing emporium again small layout and trained by MICK EASTERBY which is always entertaining..

Thats great, I had a look at the Easterby package but thought it would be mainly flat racing and always in Yorkshire. Looked decent value though.

Did you go to Cheltenham to watch Pentland Hills?:ok

As far as LGT is concerned, apparently he's at a pre-training yard and will be moving to McCains at the end of the month. Personally i'm not expecting any entries until November. I think with this particular horse it may not get interesting until he goes over fences next year after looking in detail at the pedigree. I quite like the idea of the long journey unlike some.

I was reading some emails from disgruntled members having a moan about a couple of horses who are or have been injured and they are not getting in their words "value for money"and expecting a refund. One is with Nicky Henderson who i'm pretty sure knows what he's doing, anyway I get that you would be disappointed but surely we all know how fragile horses are. I'm not sure I would send off an email complaining if i didn't see much for my £50. 

Hi. Billy. Didn't get to Cheltenham other commitments but got to Aintree when he won best £47 I have spent .I think a lot of people expect to be making money out of these type of syndicates if you notice in the owners club magazine a lot of members moan about horses going lame or not getting value for there investment you got to think of it has a bit of fun I don't expect to make money but if I get something back it's a bonus. I looked at LAST GOLDEN TICKET but had just got shares in ASDAA . The Easterby syndicate is just flat at the moment . Good luck with LGT.

Hi Billy,  once you have been to your first meeting as a badge holder you will be hooked.  Not only will you get free entry to the course but also to the owner/trainer lounge ,  free food ( usually three hot choices) , access to the parade ring and hopefully the winners enclosure . You will be brushing shoulders with the games elite , trainer's and owners .

Also if you go on the stable visits or gallops theres usually a hot drink and bacon butties when your done .

you obviously want your horse to do well but the whole experience makes it well worth the money .

I am with middleham park and have a few hairs in a lope de vega filly with archie watson , this is my third 2yo  the other two were colts with mark Johnson one of which won twice ( Wolverhampton and lingfield) and placed three times , only low class 5 but wins a win eh lol . 

Best of luck with yours you wont regret it 

Hi @roger2256

Welcome to PL, sounds like your having a successful time with Middleham Park. They do seem to have plenty of winners and the thing I like about many of their horses is that they do run quite often. I think the average small time owner just wants to see their horse on a regular basis (especially on the flat) , the winning is a bonus.

Update

Just heard today that Last Golden Ticket will be heading to Donald McCains yard this week, a bit later than originally planned by I think they try and keep the training costs down a bit by getting them as fit as they can on their own prep yard.
Anyway thats a step in the right direction, still not sure if he will run in a bumper or go straight hurdling. He looks a lovely horse from the video we got sent.

Well done to the Owners Group who had a winner at Kempton tonight, Tambourine Girl scraped home and landed the Nap!!

Will report back when i hear of anything:ok

Another winner today 

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 18.30.23.png

3 more horses have been bought at the sales

One trained by Nicky Henderson: Overpriced Mixer 

One for Mark Johnston : Dutch Decoy

One for AlanKing: Blame It On Sally

All £58 per share, decent Xmas pressie

(Im not an agent for the owners group by the way🤣)

Took the plunge today BH, got a share of a three year old gelding out of Fame and Glory and Mistress Mole.

Great Gable is a good-looking three-year-old gelding. This son of Fame And Glory was
purchased at the Tattersalls Ireland Derby Sale this summer, where he took the eye with his
athleticism, size and scope. He is from an excellen tfamily, being out of a half-sister to Mr Mole,
who was a top-class chaser and won the Grade 2Game Spirit Chase at Newbury as well as seven
other races. Great Gable is also from the same family as Caid Du Berlais, who won the Paddy
Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham in 2014. He is to be trained by Champion Jumps trainer, Paul
Nicholls, from his Ditcheat base in Somerset.

:hope and wait and see what happens.

Hi . Glad others have taken the plunge . Just a quick update on the few hair I own on dramatista with archie watson . Just to show it's not all roses and celebrations lol , I bought into this filly because out of loupe de Vega she had good potential and with archie watson an up and coming trainer I though we had a chance at something decent,  still bargain basement but they do win big races dont they lol . Well that was the dream till her first race at lingfield in march where she showed up well till suddenly dropping out the back of the telly . It was found she had sustained a serious injury.  Anyway she had the opp ,her front fore knee was pinned and shes been on holiday since lol . Another years fees due and we still dont know how she will be . Hopefully she will come back and give us some pleasure.  Obviously keep you advised.  Very best of luck to anyone who takes the plunge,  if you can do it do it the thrill is unbelievable. 

Drama.jpg

Drama 2.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

Edited by roger2256
Text

@Xtc12 @roger2256

Thats brilliant Xtc, I saw that horse and thought he would be a horse for the future for sure, good luck:hope

Roger, thats so unfortunate but as we know it can happen at anytime and I am the sort of person who could take this ...i think.
Hope you get better news in the future.

One of the Owners Group horses has been retired and some of the members are up in arms as they were not consulted, it says in the terms that the major decisions will be taken by the senior members so i'm not sure if they didn't understand how it worked or what?

Many pitfalls in this game:ok

Had an update on Last Golden Ticket today

He is going to be schooled over hurdles now he has reached a certain level of fitness, Donald McCain says he is no trouble and just gets on with the job. He will probably start over 2m4f and in time will make a 3m chaser.
He may get an entry before Christmas although there is a slight possibility he could yet run in another bumper to sharpen him up. I'm guessing they will want to find a soft maiden hurdle at Bangor or Carlisle or somewhere like that, both have meetings in about 5 weeks.