Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

That sinking feeling when your mate txt's you a nice little treble in the morning which you choose to ignore. 9 hours later and he is 8.5k up from £40! OUCH!!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Didn't do the Placepot at Newmarket on Saturday September 29th because wasn't sure about the Cambridgeshire. Bad move on my part. Would have won £1320 for £2 stake.

I see they have announced the new line up for C4 from New Years Day. Gone are Big Mac, the Cat, Fat Al, Thommo & the Greatest jockey, the latter was going anyway. Still there are Tanya, Emma, Jimbo & Slack Alice. Clare Balding is the new main presenter along with Nick Luck who will front the Morning Line. Graham Cunningham arrives from Racing UK & Gina Bryce from ATR. Coming over with Clare from the Beeb are Mick Fitz & Rishi Persad. Of the ones going I'd miss Francome but not the others. Of those coming I suspect the one that will cause the most fuss is Rishi who is depriving a village somewhere of a top class idiot. Rio.
Big Mac gone :ok Fat Al gone :ok:ok Tommo gone :ok Francome gone :( Tanya still there :eyes Alice Plunkett still there :eyes Jim McGrath still there :eyes Emma Spencer still there ;) Clare Balding there :ok Nick Luck there :ok Graham Cunningham there :ok Gina Bryce there :\ (who the hell is she???) Mick Fitzgerald there :eyes Rishi Persad there :@ Shame they didn't get Steve Mellish, I like him and Lydia Hislop is ok too. Is Rishi there simply because all the others are white and they don't want to be accused of racism? He isn't there for his interviewing techniques is he? The jockeys seem embarrassed for him and it's clear he hasn't got a clue what to ask and is waiting for the questions in his earpiece. At least there is no John Parrot or Gary Wiltshire, that's a plus I suppose. Seems to be mixed feelings about Matt Chapman not getting a role from ATR.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Big Mac was on our local radio station (the Stephen Nolan show) this morn was not a happy chappy had a major rant about C4 getting rid of him apparently he only got 30 mins notice before it went public. Disgrace they should not have got rid of me as i am the best at my job there is knowone around to take my place, i have seen off 15 betting ring presenters on the BBC in my 30 years at channel 4 he said amongst a lot else, nobody could get a word in he just talked over them typical Big Mac At 72 years of age its about time the old fart put his feet up before he has a heart attack! Sorry to see Francome go but that Emma Spence bird should have went cant stand they way she speaks i turn off when talks and looks wise she doesn't do it for me.

Big Mac was on our local radio station (the Stephen Nolan show) this morn was not a happy chappy had a major rant about C4 getting rid of him apparently he only got 30 mins notice before it went public. Disgrace they should not have got rid of me as i am the best at my job there is knowone around to take my place, i have seen off 15 betting ring presenters on the BBC in my 30 years at channel 4 he said amongst a lot else, nobody could get a word in he just talked over them typical Big Mac At 72 years of age its about time the old fart put his feet up before he has a heart attack! Sorry to see Francome go but that Emma Spence bird should have went cant stand they way she speaks i turn off when talks and looks wise she doesn't do it for me.
100% agree about Mrs Spencer, she always looks OH SO Smug! Big Mac always moaned but was great for the punters, however i could never look at him in the same way after he was on BB and flung his toys out the pram over a bottle of coke, it was sad seeing a grown man act that way, very sad.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Does anybody have any recent news about Ann Stokell the jockey / trainer ? She moved stables a couple of years ago and re emerged a earlier in the season which included a 100/1 winner . She hasn't had a runner for more than 2 months now . Obviously she isn't one to follow for punting purposes unless you are laying , but I do find it puts a smile on my face as a horse racing fan when I see her enthusiasm on the races.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I reckon it's a 6/4 chance that Young Joseph will be replaced by the beginning of the next flat season, The Coolmore guys don't mind older jockeys,Roache,Kinane and Fallon were quite old when they were took on. Seamie Heffernan would be a great choice after many years as the understudy.He's like the Irish Willie Ryan. Ryan Moore seems to be resisting a full time position at the moment but I think it will be a matter of time before he gives in and accepts a mega bucks deal.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread New Hampshire was been aimed at the November Hcp after a impressive win at catterick last time out. His trainerTony Coyle schools Hurdles and I am wondering if he has chosen a different path for the horse. Would anyone have any info if he is popping hurdles or as been injured. Cheers.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Perhaps I'm talking out of my pocket a little, as it's just happened to the horse I backed at Ludlow in the 1:30, but I have always thought that this has to be one of the most unprofessional things to occur during racing. Unprofessional because the trainer did not ensure that the saddle was fastened securely and that opens the door to other theories of skullduggery. All the majority of us want to see is the horse run an honest race! Has Fergal O'Brien been mixed up in anything before? What action do the stewards usually take when this happens? This was the second leg in a L15 of mine (first won) and have got Lean On Pete and Malin Head completing the foursome. I'll be pissed if the other two win!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I've noticed a NH trainer called Adrian Wintle based in Westbury-On-Severn , do any pros on here know if this trainer is any relation to the recently retired David Wintle ( appeared in a BBC documentry about 10 years ago along with Ferdy Murphy which claimed they were bent )who also trained in this area ?

Perhaps I'm talking out of my pocket a little, as it's just happened to the horse I backed at Ludlow in the 1:30, but I have always thought that this has to be one of the most unprofessional things to occur during racing. Unprofessional because the trainer did not ensure that the saddle was fastened securely and that opens the door to other theories of skullduggery. All the majority of us want to see is the horse run an honest race! Has Fergal O'Brien been mixed up in anything before? What action do the stewards usually take when this happens? This was the second leg in a L15 of mine (first won) and have got Lean On Pete and Malin Head completing the foursome. I'll be pissed if the other two win!
Pain in the ass when a saddle slips but its part and parcel of the game unfortunately. I know from personal experience that with some horses when you are doing up their girth they exhale or bloat and what is a perfectly tight girth for the horse at the time is too loose when a horse is breathing normally. That said, most horses who do this will try it on every time as opposed to once and it shouldn't really be happening on a race course if the person tacking up is familiar with a horse. In relation to skullduggery and foul play afoot, I don't think (and this is only from a very vague personal knowledge) that a handicapper has ever dropped a horse in the ratings from a saddle slipping.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Anyone else think there has been a slight over reaction to Al Ferof winning today. Yes it was a very impressive performance but I think the conditions robbed us of what could have been a very good race. With only 6 horses finishing and 11 pulling up I don't think the form can be taken at face value.

Anyone else think there has been a slight over reaction to Al Ferof winning today. Yes it was a very impressive performance but I think the conditions robbed us of what could have been a very good race. With only 6 horses finishing and 11 pulling up I don't think the form can be taken at face value.
100% agree. In my opinion, when Hunt Ball gets good ground we will see a much better run. Also think Grands Crus was nowhere near it's best, not fully tuned up in my opinion, and if anything we could get good value on both horses throughout the season after today. It wasn't much of a race today, it was gift wrapped for Al Ferof turning for home.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Thats twice now Grands Crus has emptied in seconds, something wrong internally in my opinion, may need more than a tune up Aidy, be very surprised to see him anytime soon unfortunately. I think Al Ferof was impressive enough, it says a lot that he jumped so well out of that ground and ran on well, must have some engine.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Grands Crus, a smart novice last year at up to 3m before disappointing in the RSA Chase, was heavily backed for this. Held up early, he moved into contention on the second circuit, if not travelling as strongly as he has done in the past. He had every chance three out but was beaten in a matter of strides soon after, a similar scenario to what had happened at the Festival. The impression was he has some sort of problem, which will hopefully come to light allowing connections to sort it out. The Stewards considered the running of the gelding. They noted the trainer could offer no explanation for the gelding's performance and they ordered Grands Crus to be routine tested. The vet reported that during routine testing he found that the gelding had lost a left fore shoe. I agree by what you say Billy and it will probably turn out to be more than a shoe.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread l Ferof won an excellent Supreme, and is a Grade 1 winner over fences. He won, what a lot were saying as the best renewal of the race, off 159. He clearly handeled the ground and the way they finished many didn't, but he hadn't run in anyhting like that since his bumper days in Ireland either (weak races) and he jumped well. Not sure how you can really pick holes in what he did yesterday, or his career. He's clearly top class and not sure there has been an over reaction myself