Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Had some bad luck last few days. Missed posting BBODT on Friday afternoon as i lost my internet and phone line and my fancy won!!. It came back on later that evening so I posted a loser on AW, then my internet crashed again before i had a chance to do BBOTD and Tipster Challenge for Saturday which was Sir Graham Wade at double figure odds!!! Couldnt even get on myself at those odds but managed to get 8's down the bookies Saturday morning. Feeling pretty happy after it won just but the smile didn't last long as I'd missed Courtesy Call running and it won at 16's. Society Rock was another sickener as I'd backed it in each of its runs this year and deserted it after the stalls issue was ruining his chances. Had to laugh though when Fanshawe was interviewed after it won. He didn't think it had a chance neither so maybe I was right to leave it alone. Funny Game.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread He is just telling it how it is. Just because the Eclipse wasn't the main season target for a top class horse you run them in the top races. Even though he wasn't ready for the Eclipse he was good enough to win it. The Arc is the target so he won't be fully tuned up for the Irish but doesn't mean he can't win it. Personally I thought the ground would be too quick and he nearly won anyway, wasn't like he was back in 4th. He wasn't putting anyone off, just being upfront imo

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I think its a disservice to punters sending a horse to a race where he is favorite and is not fully fit for the race. John Gosden in the last decade has made giant strides in shaking off his reputation of running horses which are not fully fit . Yesterday was a step backwards. Would a fully fit Nathaniel have won the race ?

Back in the day though, nothing would have been said at all!! We are privy to so much more information from Trainers and Jockeys nowadays. Personally, I ignore most of it. All part of the game I'm afraid. It's annoying when one u have backed is revealed as not fit but if every horse was fit every time. Value odds would be so much harder to find IMHO. Uu kept your money on your pocket because u did your homework and listened to the trainers comments. U did the right thing. All good isn't it? Right or wrong, all part of the game I reckon.

If the horse wasn't fav would it still be a dis-service? Golden didn't make Nathaniel fav - the bookies did - possibly intentionally so mug punters who back the fav blind were on a false one. There was def more money for Snow F and SNA on the day judged by their odds movements. Without Gosdens info this may well jot hve happened...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread The betting aspect is not the point here , it was made worse because it was a 6 horse race and he was favorite. I'm well aware its all part of gambling. If the public are putting money on horses isn't it the duty of the trainer to make sure it is 100% fit ? Surely we are not still betting in an age where trainers are running horses in a race to get fit for a later engagement ?

The betting aspect is not the point here , it was made worse because it was a 6 horse race and he was favorite. I'm well aware its all part of gambling. If the public are putting money on horses isn't it the duty of the trainer to make sure it is 100% fit ? Surely we are not still betting in an age where trainers are running horses in a race to get fit for a later engagement ?
You pointed out he was fav mate. I just responded to what u had written. IMHO, we are betting in an era where there are 2 or 3 horses fit in a race. You can't seriously think that all runners are fit? The trainers have an obligation to the owners and we then choose to bet on the sport or not. At the end of a race - lets say a hcap - where all horses should cross the line together, there are usually 2 or 3 clear who are fit. The rest can finish miles behind, fade out of contention etc etc. They're not fit. At least Gosden told u that was the case in this instance.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread But as a punter you should know that the Arc is his likely target and therefore he won't be fully tuned up for this. Like I sad, just bacuse he isn't 100% doesn't mean he can't win the race. He was close. Should he have sent hom for a prep in a Group 2 race? No because he is a top Group 1 performer. I don't see the problem myself at all

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

The betting aspect is not the point here , it was made worse because it was a 6 horse race and he was favorite. I'm well aware its all part of gambling. If the public are putting money on horses isn't it the duty of the trainer to make sure it is 100% fit ? Surely we are not still betting in an age where trainers are running horses in a race to get fit for a later engagement ?
How wasn't he fit? He just finished 1 length behind Snow Fairy in a top Group 1, where Snow Fairy broke the track record. Not fit me hole.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Nathaniel and the Irish Champion Stakes fitted into my point but its not specifically about this one horse , what about the times when horses turn up when they are not fully fit . This is what I am saying is unacceptable. Only last month in the Olympics didn't the crowd boo when some badminton players who were playing soft against each other in order to avoid tougher opposition in the next rounds . What about when Manchester United field a team of 16 year olds and deliberately get knocked out of the early stges of the Coca Cola Cup. I accept these practices go on in horse racing and other sports but if nobody makes a fuss then it will carry on.

How wasn't he fit? He just finished 1 length behind Snow Fairy in a top Group 1' date=' where Snow Fairy broke the track record. Not fit me hole.[/quote'] I'm not saying he's not fit , theres no way we can varify that , its what the trainer was suggesting by saying he was overweight and this race will put him spot on for his next race. Had this race been the target , would the result have been the same ?

It's not gonna change Erhaab... Not while prize money is so poor and therefore only so many in a race are trying.... Apart from corruption I read that it is very difficult to keep lesser animals fit and at their optimum for more than 1-3 runs at a time. All part of it - Noone is holding a gun to our heads I guess. As I said, if every horse was trained to the minute, every race would have an even money fav! Except for the ones where nothing has run before and I've no interest in betting on them either!

Nathaniel and the Irish Champion Stakes fitted into my point but its not specifically about this one horse , what about the times when horses turn up when they are not fully fit . This is what I am saying is unacceptable. Only last month in the Olympics didn't the crowd boo when some badminton players who were playing soft against each other in order to avoid tougher opposition in the next rounds . What about when Manchester United field a team of 16 year olds and deliberately get knocked out of the early stges of the Coca Cola Cup. I accept these practices go on in horse racing and other sports but if nobody makes a fuss then it will carry on.
What about Usain Bolt in the Jamaican trials when Blake turned him over ? Clearly wasn't 100%. What's the difference ? To be fair, fair play to Gosden for telling it how it was - he could easily have kept quiet and left us guessing whether he was 100% or whether he was 95%.
But as a punter you should know that the Arc is his likely target and therefore he won't be fully tuned up for this. Like I sad, just bacuse he isn't 100% doesn't mean he can't win the race. He was close. Should he have sent hom for a prep in a Group 2 race? No because he is a top Group 1 performer. I don't see the problem myself at all
This ^^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

Looks like the former champ ' date=' is starting to hit a bit of form . He had only 3 winners at the beginning of August and now has 11 with many placed horses . He is Sheikh Hamdans oldest trainer ( in terms of service , although probably age too ) and whilst he no longer gets the cream of the crop these days the ones which start off in handicaps are always worth keeping an eye on especially the staying types.[/quote'] Former champ John Dunlop has today announced his retirement. He's had a very long career training 1000s of winners and many classic winners. Which include Salsabil , Son of Sharp shot , Erhaab , Bahri ( who invented the route under the trees at Ascot when raining ) and July Cup winner Elnadim under multiple Group 1 winning jockey Richard Hills.

Great to see Laytown on today , fascinating to watch and how they turn the beach into an adhoc racecourse. Why can't they hold it more than once a year ? I wish it was nearer to where I live.
Would you believe I'm only 15 miles away and I still haven't been there, always doing something else each day every year.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Barry Hills liked to target Doncaster , notably the Lincoln meeting and also the St Leger meeting , Charlie his son who took over last year has had 2 winners at Donny so far both under multiple Group 1 winning jockey Michael Hills with a few others placed here and there , maybe worth a consideration when flicking through the pages of the form book.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Anyone seen the Lydia Hislop V Davy Russell argument on twitter? I somehow got tagged into it when defending Lydia as a decent pundit last night. It seems a horse had fallen over on its back and was then asked to trot and given the all clear by the vet but then ran poorly. They were debating whether this process was enough to judge the well being of the horse on RUK. Davy basically told her she knows nothing, only does the job for the money and should keep her nose out and then it turned into world war 3. I kept getting tagged into their argument and my phone was going nuts with notifications. I think she's miles better than the likes of Tommo, Tanya, Lesley Graham, McCririck and Davy doesn't seem to like anyone discussing anything if they are not a pro, leave the vets and jockeys to do their jobs was his attitude. :eek I also took the opportunity to ask him if Sir Des Champs will get the 3m2f of the Gold Cup and he said it's hard to know but it stays 3m well. :ok

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread sounds like fun, lmao. To be honest I dont listen to any pundits on TV especially the muppets on C4(Francome apart) all they do is jump on the jolly bandwagon. If I ever see that a##e on ATR, think hes called Matt Chapman, I could well shoot him. I have to turn the volume off as soon as here his voice!!!. lol that turned into a rant!!!!

Great to see Laytown on today , fascinating to watch and how they turn the beach into an adhoc racecourse. Why can't they hold it more than once a year ? I wish it was nearer to where I live.
My dad goes every year fella and rates it very highly, i think it being just once a year is what can make it very special.