The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

surprised not to see a thread on this to be honest doubt they are the only ones

• 2 weeks later...

Ironically it was a great ride by Brian Hughes to get Cunning Clarets back up after he'd been headed without overusing his whip. Fair play to the firms that paid out on the winner as well I'm not sure if they all did but I know skybet and bet365 did. :clap To carry on riding in the first place smacks of unprofessionalism though doesn't it? Surely all the jockeys should know that a yellow flag means pull up (even though the commentators didn't seem to know). And as for not seeing the guy waving the huge fluorescent yellow flag they're just talking out of their arse, he was standing nearly in the middle of the course. /Semi-rant over :p

The current whip debacle is so bad that you can't even rant at jockeys. I can't judge if a jockey has ridden a good or a bad race at the moment' date=' it's that bad.[/quote'] ====== By now, we know your views on the new whip rule!![Flog Horses] It is a even and fair rule,each horse is only allowed to be hit the same amount of times as its competitor= fair

====== By now, we know your views on the new whip rule!![Flog Horses] It is a even and fair rule,each horse is only allowed to be hit the same amount of times as its competitor= fair
It has already been proven and agreed upon that whips dont hurt horses! They are just a correction tool... SO the word "Flog" is untrue and unjust

Naming two high-profile horror-shows with the whip doesn't make the new rules right. Can't remember what happened to Jason but Frankie was dealt with severely' date=' so what do you want?[/quote'] --------- Dont get me wrong i've gambled on horses for going on 30years and make a good living from it,if you can say rewilding's ride was o/k..just shows you dont give a monkeys for the horse's wellbeing..pure and simple[the horse was abused to win race].Rules are rules if you cant[jockeys included]adapt move on. Cheat the rules to win the race at all costs,when others abide by rules..thats not fair...J.Club or BHB or whatever they are called nowadays should have went further,break rules and winner should be disqualified

------- and my view does'nt count.equal seems fair in any1s view apart from you...rules are there adapt or be banned ...."simmples" as the mearcat says
Not true. Having an equal number of strikes applied to animals with completely different characteristics is just plain stupidity and it'll be the ruination of racing as a spectacle - added to the fact that it removes certain horses out of the equation altogether, which is completely unfair on owners, trainers, jockeys and casual punters with limited knowledge. As long as a horse is responding to the whip, jockeys should be allowed to encourage them - without excessive force of course. In the grand scheme of things, how many times a horse is smacked doesn't matter - the force in which he's hit does. That should be the thing concentrated on in my opinion, not how many times they're encouraged with the use of the whip. It surely wouldn't hurt such a large beast either, as it doesn't even sting my arm when I smacked myself with one to see what it felt like - and I'm no 1000lb+ horse. One of the best and most considerate flat jockeys has been banned twice in the space of a few days, doesn't this strike you as being a bit odd? The rules are insane and need to be changed. I won't even get started on the penalties that jockeys are facing, because it's sickening to see someone losing out on making a living because of such stupidity from people who are supposed to know about racing, horses in general and horse welfare. It's one big money-making publicity stunt in order to attract the people who haven't a clue about the sport and it's backfiring spectacularly - thank God. Long may the revolt continue until our great sport is brought back to normality.

--------- Dont get me wrong i've gambled on horses for going on 30years and make a good living from it,if you can say rewilding's ride was o/k..just shows you dont give a monkeys for the horse's wellbeing..pure and simple[the horse was abused to win race].Rules are rules if you cant[jockeys included]adapt move on. Cheat the rules to win the race at all costs,when others abide by rules..thats not fair...J.Club or BHB or whatever they are called nowadays should have went further,break rules and winner should be disqualified
I've just called Frankie's ride a 'horror-show' and you've somehow made out I think the ride was alright. No, I don't. It wasn't pretty on the eyes. As I pointed out, he was severely punished for it and it was generally percieved to be the correct action to take. However, when you see guys like Hughes use the whip to simply correct a hanging horse and get banned for it, something's wrong. As already said, punishment does NOT fit the crime. One rule for all will never work with so many variables.

One of the best and most considerate flat jockeys has been banned twice in the space of a few days, doesn't this strike you as being a bit odd?
Agree with most of what you say Monte apart from the above, Hughes was banned under the old totting up procedure a couple of times last season and a 29 day ban last november/december. He's lost more days through being banned than any of the top jockeys in the last 12 months. I accept he's very good on certain horses, the really good ones that travel on the bridle, but it was plain to see his style was always going fall foul of the new system, i am surprised at how quickly he has been done though and needs to alter things like everyone else. He may be the punters pal by coming out and speaking all the time and through his column in the Post but it's not doing him any favours with the men at the top. I like his honesty but is a very frustrating jockey at times.

Re: The Jockey Thread Didn't know that to be honest BH, but I still think he's very considerate when a horse is beaten as he doesn't keep at them very often. Maybe I just don't see the right, or wrong, races to form a different opinion. The whole thing needs to be corrected anyway, regardless of Richard, even though I do applaud him.

Re: The Jockey Thread I dont blame him for what he did today, like i say he always speaks his mind and the sport is better off for it, hopefully one or two of the other top jocks will back him up although a few of them are more worried about keeping their owners/trainers happy and are scared to lose their jobs, Hughes doesnt have that pressure riding within the family does he?

Re: The Jockey Thread Got to mention the fantastic rides Tom Queally gave on two maidens this week Wrotham Heath and Thomas Chippendale both trained by Sir H Cecil.Rode with supreme confidence without reaching for his whip. Mark my words a top jockey in the making !!! Lets hope he does the business on Frankel today .

The guy is pure class. Much easier to appreciate that fact since I've quit backing him very often. :lol The amount of people who say "Spencer can't ride from the front" will have enjoyed that..
On the Hanagan thread they mention the fact that he (Hanagan) hardly rides Group 1 horses. Spencer was a Group 1 winning jockey at 17 years old. He rode Tarascon to victory in the Irish 1000 Guineas way back in 1998. Some people don't appreciate how a jockey can settle a horse, give it an education, teach it how to race, how to go through gaps, pass horses, gain momentum late on. He went to Coolmore too early in his career. I can't believe he is still freelance. I wonder if he would have any chance of becoming stable jockey for Stoute if Moore goes to Ireland at the end of the season?

On the Hanagan thread they mention the fact that he (Hanagan) hardly rides Group 1 horses. Spencer was a Group 1 winning jockey at 17 years old. He rode Tarascon to victory in the Irish 1000 Guineas way back in 1998. Some people don't appreciate how a jockey can settle a horse' date=' give it an education, teach it how to race, how to go through gaps, pass horses, gain momentum late on. He went to Coolmore too early in his career. I can't believe he is still freelance. I wonder if he would have any chance of becoming stable jockey for Stoute if Moore goes to Ireland at the end of the season?[/quote'] I'm not Spencer's biggest fan but i've got to agree Spencer has been a top jockey since day 1 , I can remember seeing him ride Tarascon looking like a pre pubescent 12 year old. I can see a big stable swooping for him in the future now he has matured a lot. Maybe back to Coolmore.They seem to value experience despite age.Roche , Kinane , Fallon and Murtagh were quite advanced in their careers when signng up.