** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread Can't say Tom Queally is my favourite jock but don't have any strong views against him in all honesty although the ride he gave Twice Over in the Dubai World Cup has to go down as a supreme howler IMO. I do however think it's fair to say that the above example is slightly flawed Zen in my opinion - the eventual winner appeared to be getting lonely up front today and ran on again as soon as Solar Sky joined it. That's certainly how I saw it anyway and don't think this can be put down to the jock. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and a jockey that perhaps I have a lot of time for (Paul Mulrennan for example) may prove not to be everyone's liking - this is why we are all individuals. :ok

Re: The Jockey Thread Anyone else feeling rather fustrated by the poor decision taken by Kirby and Barzalona today in the Hardwicke Stakes! Worst ground towards the rail side but decide to cut inside early to that poorer ground. Lost alot of ground as a consequence and pretty much cost them any chance in the race and they both finished tailed off in the rear. Not saying it would have affected the result but it meant any E/W punters opposing the odds on favourite could be left feeling rather bitter...

Re: The Jockey Thread Have to agree about Queally's misjudged rides at Royal Ascot this week and also a few others elsewhere.He's not quite a top class jockey yet. I think he has potential , just a few more years and a few more outside rides on class horses and he'll be up there with the best of them. He's only a young kid , give him a break.

Re: The Jockey Thread You might want to watch Queally's ride on My Arch today at Ponty, absolutely top class, timed to perfection. Stalked the leaders, ridden to the front late on to get up on the line and deny Fallon on Dazinski who looked the winner a furlong out, even Jamie "Hold em up" Spencer would have been proud of that ride. :ok

Re: The Jockey Thread On the flip side, did you see the number of bad rides at Ponte today Phil? Front runners seemed to dominate again and those in behind gave em far too much rope. There will be plenty of winners coming out of todays races in my opinion. Licence To Till was a massive eyecatcher in the 3.40, given a pathetic hold up ride by Royston Ffrench and finished with some rattle when finally switched into the clear.

Re: The Jockey Thread That 3.40 was a weird race. Dhaamer was given a terrible ride, but i think it was just the pace that made the race so strange. Diescentric was too keen and probabyl has a win soon. I had Shallow Bay in my notebook after the shocker he received by Ahern lto. Today Fallon made too much use of him I guess, but that was the right place to be. It was clear the front runner was stealing it. It's just one of those races I think. Def winners in it. Callan had a shocker on Rosewood Lad in the 4.40 as well, but I think it's just Ponty. It is a tricky track realy. I know you guys love it, but I find it very weird in the way races are run and the results it produces. Thought Hayley was fantastic in the last. I expected her to try and set the pace, but she realized they are taking eachother on early and just stalked them. Ran away a cosy winner in the end.

Re: The Jockey Thread

On the flip side, did you see the number of bad rides at Ponte today Phil? Front runners seemed to dominate again and those in behind gave em far too much rope. There will be plenty of winners coming out of todays races in my opinion. Licence To Till was a massive eyecatcher in the 3.40, given a pathetic hold up ride by Royston Ffrench and finished with some rattle when finally switched into the clear.
I often look for the comments "led 1f out" or something similar when looking to back something at Ponty because it is such an awkward track. So many horses don't pick up because of the undulations and ideally you need to be in that front pack of runners turning in for home because those in behind often struggle. It is bloody hard to pick up on an undulating surface, up a hill in a stiff finish. Some of the jockeys ride their horse like they are on Canford Cliffs in a class 5 handicap, so many lower level horses do not have a turn of foot and that immediate acceleration that some of the group horses have and you can't ride them that way here. I don't like backing hold up horses here at the best of times. Like you say they give them too much rope and then expect them to sprout wings and reel them in at the front. Did you see Vulcanite yesterday? I watched it in the bookies and all the punters in there were calling it the winner as they turned in. I had backed it and it looked like it was cruising but then didn't seem to find much, wasn't sure if it was ground, track or just a fitness issue. I'll be keeping an eye on that though, ran well for a long time and was late off the bridle.

Re: The Jockey Thread I felt sorry for Fallon yesterday at Ponte. Ted Spread came from last to almost first but couldn't quite get past the leader, photo and a stewards enquiry, great ride but only 2nd. Dazinski he booted to the front and looked like the winner 1f out but then got clobbered on the line. Star Commander kept with the eventual winner all the way but couldn't quicken and had to accept second again. I Got You Babe got to the front 1f out but then got passed again to finish second. He had a better night at Windsor tonight though :ok

• 2 weeks later...

How does Pat Dobbs continue to get rides for the likes of John Dunlop and Richard Hannon? He is clueless' date=' as proven by his ride on Berling there :\[/quote'] I wonder if that odds on thing he managed to get beat in the first at Ascot today would have got beat with Richard Hughes on? Kieren Fallon also deserves an honoroble mention in this thread for winning biggest billy bullshitter award for his Weekender column this week for a) stating Fury was a banker and b) Fulgur was a big baby that would come into himself later into the season. Maybe instead of posting up dud info like above his column in the next edition might care to explain why he dropped his hands on the strong travelling and well-backed Five Star Junior in the last at Newmarket on Thursday? On another note, just how good is this Silvestre De Sousa? Another two winners to his already impressive course record at Catterick and noted as giving some outsiders, such as Malthouse, cracking rides in defeat at Newmarket this week.

Re: The Jockey Thread SDS for me is the man right now and is excellent. He is getting more rides down south and is firing in winners, he just looks the part. I really like Hannigan and he is still ahead but his form relies on the Fahey yard I think in terms of the title but he is still a great jock and Moore will always get the winners on the top horses but SDS is getting average horses home at the moment

I wonder if that odds on thing he managed to get beat in the first at Ascot today would have got beat with Richard Hughes on? Kieren Fallon also deserves an honoroble mention in this thread for winning biggest billy bullshitter award for his Weekender column this week for a) stating Fury was a banker and b) Fulgur was a big baby that would come into himself later into the season. Maybe instead of posting up dud info like above his column in the next edition might care to explain why he dropped his hands on the strong travelling and well-backed Five Star Junior in the last at Newmarket on Thursday? On another note, just how good is this Silvestre De Sousa? Another two winners to his already impressive course record at Catterick and noted as giving some outsiders, such as Malthouse, cracking rides in defeat at Newmarket this week.
I didnt think he gave Five Star Junior the best ride, looking at the head on there was a gap i thought he could have gone for but he didnt. One to look out for next time out.

I didnt think he gave Five Star Junior the best ride' date=' looking at the head on there was a gap i thought he could have gone for but he didnt. One to look out for next time out.[/quote'] Yep, agree with you fully Ram. I'd had a decent bet on it at 9/1 (luckily beat Hugh Taylor to the price as his followers backed it from 6/1 into 9/2) and at first wondered if I was talkiing through my pocket. But when RUK showed the replay he defo had opportunities to try get through a gap. The way he has been riding I just wonder whether his appetite remains anymore, you have the likes of Barzalona and SDS on the scene at the minute and they are hungry and the guys to be on, rather than the older brigade like Fallon that don't always seem to care.

Re: The Jockey Thread I still haven't seen the ride on Fury yet, he spoke about that like it couldn't get beaten. He did put one up at Kempton on Wednesday night that won at 5-1 with him on it. He also gave Submission a good, patient ride. He could have not bothered going for a gap and crying foul but he barged his way through and won well going away. The younger jockeys don't seem to fear him or the older heads though and that's good. I remember seeing him blocked off a few times earlier in the season when the young lads would not let him through. What are general opinions on Jamie Spencer at the moment? He's a jockey I've always rated and defended on here. When he doesn't go all Hollywood Hold Up on us he can't half ride. O'Brien must have seen something in him to take him to Ireland at such a young age. I think his ability to settle a horse is often overlooked and underestimated. He gets criticism for the hold up rides yet if he goes off in front and fades away tamely 1f out he gets no grief (horses didn't stay etc etc). How about this - Ryan Moore leaves Stoute and goes to join O'Brien at Ballydoyle. Silvestre De Sousa goes to join Stoute as stable jockey. What are the chances???

Yep, agree with you fully Ram. I'd had a decent bet on it at 9/1 (luckily beat Hugh Taylor to the price as his followers backed it from 6/1 into 9/2) and at first wondered if I was talkiing through my pocket. But when RUK showed the replay he defo had opportunities to try get through a gap. The way he has been riding I just wonder whether his appetite remains anymore, you have the likes of Barzalona and SDS on the scene at the minute and they are hungry and the guys to be on, rather than the older brigade like Fallon that don't always seem to care.
Yep, i was on at 9/1 as well the night before, dont think it would have won with a clear run as the winner done it easily in the end but a place was very possible.

Re: The Jockey Thread Maybe am just talking through the pocket but Mr Hannon Jnr said before the 2:20 at Newmarket they all thought the world of FORT BASTION, O Peslier is over for 3 rides yet all i seen was a jockey that never once looked like he wanted to put Fort Bastion in the race. This one will dot up one day, but not with Mr O Peslier on his back. Sometimes its not the last 2f thats important, it can be the first 2f. just MO The race. http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,445098,00.html

Maybe am just talking through the pocket but Mr Hannon Jnr said before the 2:20 at Newmarket they all thought the world of FORT BASTION, O Peslier is over for 3 rides yet all i seen was a jockey that never once looked like he wanted to put Fort Bastion in the race. This one will dot up one day, but not with Mr O Peslier on his back. Sometimes its not the last 2f thats important, it can be the first 2f. just MO The race. http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,445098,00.html
I think it is better than it showed today and I wouldn't write it off based on that effort. :ok

Great ride from Spencer on Cape Blanco to land the Man O War Stakes there
Just missed the bloody race. Got Cape Blanco in my 10 to follow, not sure if Yank races are included? Just mentioned a certain Spencer in this very thread earlier today. ;)

What are general opinions on Jamie Spencer at the moment? He's a jockey I've always rated and defended on here. When he doesn't go all Hollywood Hold Up on us he can't half ride. O'Brien must have seen something in him to take him to Ireland at such a young age. I think his ability to settle a horse is often overlooked and underestimated. He gets criticism for the hold up rides yet if he goes off in front and fades away tamely 1f out he gets no grief (horses didn't stay etc etc).
Yeah, agree he is a fine rider. I think i have only been annoyed with him once before for a ride he has given (on Wigmore Hall) but other than that i think he gets a lot more grief than he should. I reckon he is one of the best at riding from the front, his judgement of the pace and ability to make soft leads work impress me regularly.

Re: The Jockey Thread Just saw the replay of the Man O' War and thought he had gone too early but he timed it to perfection, sat in 2nd and then kicked for home and was gone before Gio Ponti could close. Horse seemed to pick up again late on and responded to the whip well. Great win for Spencer, wonder if Ballydoyle would ever have him back?

Re: The Jockey Thread I think Barry McHugh deserves a mention for his ride on Brae Hill this afternoon. Walked the course beforehand, determined there was no discernible bias, and opined that the shortest way was the best way. Paid off handsomely for him :clap

I think Barry McHugh deserves a mention for his ride on Brae Hill this afternoon. Walked the course beforehand' date=' determined there was no discernible bias, and opined that the shortest way was the best way. Paid off handsomely for him :clap[/quote'] Aye definitely. A brave move to make as he could have looked very stupid afterwards.

Re: The Jockey Thread Yeah he is good from the front is Spencer, his reputation on hold ups means he can often be overpriced on front runners so defo one to keep an eye on. Superb ride from Raul Da Silva in the 5.30 at Ascot yesterday on Medicean Man. Found all sorts of trouble yet still, over the minimum trip, found the gaps to win. That is how its done. Its always rewarding to find a 7lb claimer who is worth their allowance so will be keeping a close eye on this kid now, he's only had six rides and won twice.