** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

Excellent ride. I had a cheeky tenner on him being top jock at 40/1 but even at this early stage is is highly unlikely' date=' but I do rate him. I actually backed Transfer as well unfortunately, but it was an excellent ride[/quote'] Well this is looking decent now :lol

Well this is looking decent now :lol
Your at least gonna get a run for your dough mate. I still fancy Hanaghan to take it as Johnston is a trainer I tend to find sends out winners in clumps rather than consistently. That added to the fact Hanaghan has the pick of a lot of spare Northern rides and he's still clear fav to me. If one of the bigger Northern stable lends it's weight behind SDS though, who knows. Fingers crossed mucka.

Re: The Jockey Thread Agree, two belters at Bev. The horses looked dead and buried turning in for home but he kept them right there throughout the finish. He is clearly an intelligent as well as strong jockey and knows how to ride each track. The other plus for him is that he is light and can do any weight. I can see him going on to win it if he carries on in his present mood, he wins on average horses and that takes talent.

The one at Southwell in the 5f was a peach. He was literally at work from the stalls and got him home easily
40/1, you've got a belter there Rat. I'm tempted to steam in even at his current price, as I don't think Stoute has been as strong as normal this year which will effect Moore. Moore seems more interesting in making a good impression on Ballydoyle, and fair play there. Hanagan is as good as ever but I'd fancy Silvestre to take him if it came down to the two. Both have the motivation and arent bothered about travelling all over the country and making multiple trips on the same day. Hanagan does have perhaps a better quality of animal at his disposal for Fahey but Silvestre is getting plenty of rides for Johnston which will be a big help and the likes of Green, Harker, Duffield and Carr all seem to offer him rides, his agents usually seems to have him fully booked up anyway. Really looking forward to seeing how the battle unfolds but have no financial interest yet, other than perming Silvestre's rides in doubles each day!

Re: The Jockey Thread Moore has already said he is not going to labour for the title Hannigan was about 20 up early on but with Fahey out of form it has slowed right down. i fear when he gets going again Hannigan will start to pull clear again, as he will do at some stage once his horses are well handicapped again. SDS is picking up more rides though and getting a lot of unfancied horses home so it could be close

De Souza now as low as 2/1 now
He's been annihilated. Couldn't bring myself to back him at those odds, especially since the money will be locked up until November, and at the end of the day a 2/1 shot is a 2/1 shot, I can only treble my money at best. So punted it on the golf instead! Gonna be rooting for Silvestre though and backing his best four rides in doubles each day instead.

40/1, you've got a belter there Rat. I'm tempted to steam in even at his current price, as I don't think Stoute has been as strong as normal this year which will effect Moore. Moore seems more interesting in making a good impression on Ballydoyle, and fair play there. Hanagan is as good as ever but I'd fancy Silvestre to take him if it came down to the two. Both have the motivation and arent bothered about travelling all over the country and making multiple trips on the same day. Hanagan does have perhaps a better quality of animal at his disposal for Fahey but Silvestre is getting plenty of rides for Johnston which will be a big help and the likes of Green, Harker, Duffield and Carr all seem to offer him rides, his agents usually seems to have him fully booked up anyway. Really looking forward to seeing how the battle unfolds but have no financial interest yet, other than perming Silvestre's rides in doubles each day!
I agree with most of what your saying pal but for him to have a serious chance of being in there with a shout come Sept/Oct/Nov he's going to have to be picking up rides for more prolific stables than the likes of those four above. If Someone like Roger Varian for instance was to give him a winner or 2 a week along with the likes of Johnston and the others you mention then maybe he will make it interesting at least. 2/1 though is crazy and is (clearly) just the bookies trying to limit their liabilitys from the 40's they were laying just 6 weeks ago.

Re: The Jockey Thread I wasnt very impressed with Kelly Harrison's ride on Scamperdale yesterday, i dont think the horse would have won but he would have gone closer. Just after they'd turned for home she went for a run up the inside when she could have just as easily switched outside, i didnt really see the reasoning for doing it, this gave her a few traffic problems and she had to switch outside a couple of times and stop riding a few times.

I wasnt very impressed with Kelly Harrison's ride on Scamperdale yesterday' date=' i dont think the horse would have won but he would have gone closer. Just after they'd turned for home she went for a run up the inside when she could have just as easily switched outside, i didnt really see the reasoning for doing it, this gave her a few traffic problems and she had to switch outside a couple of times and stop riding a few times.[/quote'] Tell me about it! That was my BBOTD. Would have gone very close had she taken the outside route

Re: The Jockey Thread Has anyone else noticed Moore is out to 11/4 for the title now? I couldn't resist and have ended up backing that now! Despite championing De Sousa I just think that 11/4 for Moore is too big. Sir Michael Stoute's yard still aren't firing on all cylinders but he is still in contention, around 7 behind Hanagan, and could get a better calibre of ride on the AW IMO. Silvestre is the main danger IMO but the price has gone now and Moore looks a better bet in the hope he gathers momentum in the closing stages of the season, as Hughsey did last year (even if he missed out by two).

Re: The Jockey Thread Robert Winston on Tislaam in the 3.00 Lingfield today, at first i thought it was a bad ride, i've just watched it again and think it's a shocking ride. I dont see why so many jockeys on hold up horses try to weave impossible passages through, why not just switch them outside and give them a chance of building some momentum. With Tislaam, after the home bend at Lingfield and with a clear passage up the inner Winston still doesnt move a muscle, he then starts pushing along just over a furlong out when the horse is a mile back and has no chance at all before staying on well. I'd go as far to say that it looks very suspicious to me. One to look out for next time out. I'd like to hear some others opinions, or am i just being over critical?

Robert Winston on Tislaam in the 3.00 Lingfield today, at first i thought it was a bad ride, i've just watched it again and think it's a shocking ride. I dont see why so many jockeys on hold up horses try to weave impossible passages through, why not just switch them outside and give them a chance of building some momentum. With Tislaam, after the home bend at Lingfield and with a clear passage up the inner Winston still doesnt move a muscle, he then starts pushing along just over a furlong out when the horse is a mile back and has no chance at all before staying on well. I'd go as far to say that it looks very suspicious to me. One to look out for next time out. I'd like to hear some others opinions, or am i just being over critical?
I never back anyhting that Winston is on, I'm sure I had a major rant about him last year when he practically pulled the head off a horse then left it far too late to get going when he should have won easily, gangster..:@

Re: The Jockey Thread Winston is a strange one for me, I used to be a big fan of his about 5 or so years ago when he was challenging for the jockey's title and getting a lot of rides for Stoute but then an injury curtailed his title challenge and it's all been pretty much downhill for him since. I would agree that he produces some very 'questionable' rides these days for whatever reason.