** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

Lol' date=' when are you going to drop that? :lol Guy's the worst jockey I've seen.[/quote'] Sorry , you reminded me that R Hills is not very popular with a couple of members on here , maybe you haven't seen him at his peak ( obviously he's a little past it today being a similar age to myself ) , anyway I'll replace him with Jack Quinlan , not sure if he's sired by Newmarket trainer Michael Quinlan but I'm sure you get my drift.

Re: The Jockey Thread Brendan Powell Jr is the best young jockey i have ever seen! His positioning, confidence, strength, timing and calmness is a joy to watch, ill be amazed if he doesnt win a jockeys championship, he is the next big thing!

Lol' date=' when are you going to drop that? :lol Guy's the worst jockey I've seen.[/quote'] Over the past year especially there've been a number of horses I would've put my money on had it not been for the fact that a certain R. Hills was the jockey - I never once regretted not betting.

Re: The Jockey Thread I have to admit that I also don't bet on horses with Richard Hills on board. It might be a bit unfair towards him because he's doing this job for such a long time but I just have no confidence in him. I don't say he's a bad jockey at all because I'm only an armchair jockey who never sat on a racehorse and can only guess what these guys are doing there day in day out. But I think it's absolutely fair to say I have no confidence in certain jockeys and won't have a bet for that reason on horses that they are riding. It's the same with Robert Lucey Butler for example and some other Jockeys.

Re: The Jockey Thread The thought of even getting on an ordinary horse would frighten me never mind the machines these guys ride every day, especailly the big powerhouse sprinters. Imagine rattling along at 40+ MPH with only a small saddle and striiups to keep you on and especially the driving finishes. But the point is they are trained to ride these animals and some are much more skillful than others, like any sport there are different levels of skill and not everyone can be a Lester Piggott or AP McCoy. As for R.Hills he is just to old now, when Piggott rode into his 50s he had the basic genius that was only diluted down with age, Hills has the same dilution but with much less skill to begin with, he really needs to retire gracefully.

Re: The Jockey Thread Not read all of this thread, but concur with the recent views abour R.Hills and young Brendan Powell JR. Is there a worse 'everyday' jockey going around than Robert L Buter? I, for one, haven't seen one!

Is there a worse 'everyday' jockey going around than Robert L Buter?
As I said in my comment above: I don't bet on horses where he is on board. Think he's awful. But it's all about opinion. Maybe someone rates him high... who knows.

Re: The Jockey Thread Now just take a look at Harry Bentleys ride on Lord Tiger at Meydan. He is a young jockey I really rate and that was a first class ride, on the rail with a wall of horses in front he weaves through to win, tell me Spencer and R.Hills could do that :lol

Not read all of this thread, but concur with the recent views abour R.Hills and young Brendan Powell JR. Is there a worse 'everyday' jockey going around than Robert L Buter? I, for one, haven't seen one!
Very glad you concur with the views on R Hills , and I have to agree that R L Butler is not very good . I do have to say that within the top flight of jockeys , I find Gold Cup winning jockey Andrew Thornton is pretty terrible at times , although he has bagged a few winners this season , I think on the whole he's pretty awful . Whenever i watch him ride I can't help but notice the bottom half of his legs are motionless , its like he wears prosthetic legs whilst on the racecourse. Just for mileni4uk , he's like the R Hills over jumps .;)

Re: The Jockey Thread I was reading an interview with Tom Segal and he said sometimes seeing Ruby Walsh on a horse would give him more confidence and it would be a positive whereas seeing McCoy on board would be a huge negative. He was asked if that was because McCoy's mounts get well backed and end up shorter than they should be. He replied by saying it's because he bets in big races and McCoy doesn't win big races, actually saying McCoy would not be in his top 10 jockeys. :eek I thought it was quite controversial for him. Opinions on McCoy in the big races???

I was reading an interview with Tom Segal and he said sometimes seeing Ruby Walsh on a horse would give him more confidence and it would be a positive whereas seeing McCoy on board would be a huge negative. He was asked if that was because McCoy's mounts get well backed and end up shorter than they should be. He replied by saying it's because he bets in big races and McCoy doesn't win big races' date=' actually saying McCoy would not be in his top 10 jockeys. :eek I thought it was quite controversial for him. Opinions on McCoy in the big races???[/quote'] Certainly controversial that McCoy wouldn't even be in his Top 10 Jockeys and a bit harsh given the number of times McCoy has been Champion Jockey. When it comes to the Cheltenham Festival, Ruby Walsh has ridden about 30 winners there since 1998 and been leading jockey 5 times - I think McCoy has had about 11 winners at the Festival and of course it took him 15 years to win the Grand National.

Re: The Jockey Thread Hayley Turner is an embarrasment. She has no 'clock' in her head that enables her to react to situtuations in a race and has no sense of pace. Luke Morris is streets ahead of her, infact young Rual Da Silva is comprehensively better than her in every sense at present. Damn you Hayley.

Hayley Turner is an embarrasment. She has no 'clock' in her head that enables her to react to situtuations in a race and has no sense of pace. Luke Morris is streets ahead of her' date=' infact young Rual Da Silva is comprehensively better than her in every sense at present. Damn you Hayley.[/quote'] Female Fin, if you tell a chick youl meet her at 8pm always turn up at 8:30 even then youl still be there before her.

I was reading an interview with Tom Segal and he said sometimes seeing Ruby Walsh on a horse would give him more confidence and it would be a positive whereas seeing McCoy on board would be a huge negative. He was asked if that was because McCoy's mounts get well backed and end up shorter than they should be. He replied by saying it's because he bets in big races and McCoy doesn't win big races' date=' actually saying McCoy would not be in his top 10 jockeys. :eek I thought it was quite controversial for him. Opinions on McCoy in the big races???[/quote'] I don't like backing McCoy mounts either. Dunno what it is but I'm always nervous when he's onboard charging them into fence after fence. He excels on lazy horses and is good on the odd aggresive front-runner but when they need settling and switching off I'd always take Walsh/Geraghty/Murphy and probably others over him.

I don't like backing McCoy mounts either. Dunno what it is but I'm always nervous when he's onboard charging them into fence after fence. He excels on lazy horses and is good on the odd aggresive front-runner but when they need settling and switching off I'd always take Walsh/Geraghty/Murphy and probably others over him.
Yep, I'm the same. Tom O'Brien, Wayne Hutchinson. There are quite a few I'd have over McCoy especially over fences. Put AP on Kauto and he'd never win 5 King Georges.

Powell Jr is certainyl riding amazingly at the moment and winning on decent horses that others would get beaten on. Just lost his 7lb claim I think but I am very impressed so far
Sam Twiston was looking like the next champion, but turned out average. Brendan definitely promising, but only time will tell.

Very harsh on Sam TD and McCoy in here I think' date=' would have both of them on my horse for sure but in terms of value for punting I get the McCoy factor.[/quote'] They made a mistake getting rid of Paddy. Now the form of the yard is shit and I don't think it's the horses, I think it has a bit to do with the jockey as well.

I think Sam is a fantastic jock, see his ride on Cootehill lto? Superb... I dont like McCoy in a chase, he is very clumsy going through fences..
I don't think was anything special really. Just a very strong ride against a horse, who always finds a way not to win. He's ok, just not gonna be top class jockey like I thought during his days as a claimer.

I don't think was anything special really. Just a very strong ride against a horse' date=' who always finds a way not to win. He's ok, just not gonna be top class jockey like I thought during his days as a claimer.[/quote'] One jockey that should not be riding is Sam Waley Cohen.. Had him backed the day he put Otage De Brion off the track and tried to say he pulled him up! His last 2 rides on Long Run have been awful and how he continues to get such a prestigious ride is beyond belief