** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread It was just regarding his ride on Zenarinda at Southwell yesteday, faces a 22 day ban for excessive use of the whip. He was explaining that he hit the horse on the shoulder three times to straighten the horse and prevent an accident as the horse has hung left in previous races so he doesn't feel those 3 should come into play. If he does it again its a three month ban and like he was saying he has a young family to support, bills to pay. I do feel for these jockeys at the moment, as Sean Boyce asked him for future races could it hindering him winning races because he knows that if he oversteps the mark again he is in serious trouble and surely that will play on his mind during a race when thinking 'how many times have I hit this horse.' He was saying that he has been down to Kempton a couple of times from York for just one ride and actually loses money that day which seems pretty unfair, I just felt a bit sorry for him and jockeys on the whole, not so much the bigger boys sunning it up in Dubai but those riding on the all-weather tracks in England.

Re: The Jockey Thread

It was just regarding his ride on Zenarinda at Southwell yesteday' date=' faces a 22 day ban for excessive use of the whip. He was explaining that he hit the horse on the shoulder three times to straighten the horse and prevent an accident as the horse has hung left in previous races so he doesn't feel those 3 should come into play. If he does it again its a three month ban and like he was saying he has a young family to support, bills to pay. I do feel for these jockeys at the moment, as Sean Boyce asked him for future races could it hindering him winning races because he knows that if he oversteps the mark again he is in serious trouble and surely that will play on his mind during a race when thinking 'how many times have I hit this horse.' He was saying that he has been down to Kempton a couple of times from York for just one ride and actually loses money that day which seems pretty unfair, I just felt a bit sorry for him and jockeys on the whole, not so much the bigger boys sunning it up in Dubai but those riding on the all-weather tracks in England.[/quote'] Im fully with you on that one. Everyone goes on about the horses welfare. What about the jockeys welfare? The rules are far too harsh. The game was perfect 2 years ago until they started messing with it.

Re: The Jockey Thread Most people will of seen this and have an opinion regarding Will Kennedy's ride on Swincombe Flame, now this is my opinion of course but watching the tv i was wincing and lets get one thing straight i aint no Animal Welfare activist or RSPCA for that matter and i'm all for jockeys getting to work on horse when required in professional style. He has got the horse up to win a nose but the horse has got him out of a massive hole, this is the sort of stuff the tarnishes racing's image kennedy battered the poor mare on the run in, it was brutal and harsh and a total disgrace in my eyes, he deserves a 1 month ban and sending back to riding school, how can a pro jockey hit a horse in the wrong place?????? Why did he seem to let featherbed lane get a 3 length head start before preceding to butcher the poor mares backside (and i'm sure i spotted a forehead down the neck) up the run in. Total disgrace!!! Anyhow from a punting point of view the mares clearly got tonnes in hand and would appeal in a similar big field next time out

Most people will of seen this and have an opinion regarding Will Kennedy's ride on Swincombe Flame, now this is my opinion of course but watching the tv i was wincing and lets get one thing straight i aint no Animal Welfare activist or RSPCA for that matter and i'm all for jockeys getting to work on horse when required in professional style. He has got the horse up to win a nose but the horse has got him out of a massive hole, this is the sort of stuff the tarnishes racing's image kennedy battered the poor mare on the run in, it was brutal and harsh and a total disgrace in my eyes, he deserves a 1 month ban and sending back to riding school, how can a pro jockey hit a horse in the wrong place?????? Why did he seem to let featherbed lane get a 3 length head start before preceding to butcher the poor mares backside (and i'm sure i spotted a forehead down the neck) up the run in. Total disgrace!!! Anyhow from a punting point of view the mares clearly got tonnes in hand and would appeal in a similar big field next time out
A bit harsh on Will Kennedy in my opinion. He fekked up the last fence, the owners would have been absolutely livid if he had not won, as it was the best horse in the race by a wide margin. He had two options. 1) Finish in 2nd place and risk falling out with the owners, which could in turn be bad for his future. 2) Make sure you get the horse up to win, which keeps the owners happy. Lets not forget he lost his prize-money for the race, which was £2,500, thats one heck of a lot of money, plus a 7 day ban on top of that. I understand your point, but i think justice has already been done.

Re: The Jockey Thread My opinion was he fekked up from about 2f out and seemed content to hold on and hold on for what seemed an eternity, then after the last fence a light bulb moment came on in his head and he thought "shit" and resorted to brutallity with a whip, it's not harsh what i have said, it's fact. If i were to fail to do my job properly i would be sent on training courses or reprimanded then sacked if i continued to make the same mistakes, don't see why jockeys should be any diff. On the recent whip issues i'd like to point out i thought Rob Winstons was harsh as he was using it properly as a corrective issue, Robert Cooper was just plain cheating showing no regard for rules deserves all he gets, and Kennedy was just plain shite race riding and the first thought when he realised he was in trouble was to resort to the whip with brutal strikes lets make that clear, they were not encouraging strikes and they didn't give the mare time to respond.

My opinion was he fekked up from about 2f out and seemed content to hold on and hold on for what seemed an eternity, then after the last fence a light bulb moment came on in his head and he thought "shit" and resorted to brutallity with a whip, it's not harsh what i have said, it's fact. If i were to fail to do my job properly i would be sent on training courses or reprimanded then sacked if i continued to make the same mistakes, don't see why jockeys should be any diff. On the recent whip issues i'd like to point out i thought Rob Winstons was harsh as he was using it properly as a corrective issue, Robert Cooper was just plain cheating showing no regard for rules deserves all he gets, and Kennedy was just plain shite race riding and the first thought when he realised he was in trouble was to resort to the whip with brutal strikes lets make that clear, they were not encouraging strikes and they didn't give the mare time to respond.
Agree completely. If I was on Featherbed Lane, I would have felt cheated. James Best stayed within the rules and that cost him the race. All those plaudits for Will Kennedy how he gave the horse a fantastic ride and how he doesn't deserve what he's got is utter crap. Yes, everyone in racing doesn't like the rules and they are bad, but what was the great about the ride? That he hit the horse 9 times, so he managed to get back on the line? My arse. James Best gave FL the better ride as far as I'm concerned. I felt for the lad, because he deserved to win it.

Re: The Jockey Thread I never said Kennedy gave it a good ride, or that the ban was harsh. He deserved the ban and didnt deserve to win the race because of his sloppiness. But i can see why he slapped the horse. Its a lose/lose situation for him really. And Mileni, we already know you dispised Kennedy already after Time For Rupert, so not surprised your lapping this up today. He got his punishment, lost his prize-money, end of story.

Agree completely. If I was on Featherbed Lane, I would have felt cheated. James Best stayed within the rules and that cost him the race. All those plaudits for Will Kennedy how he gave the horse a fantastic ride and how he doesn't deserve what he's got is utter crap. Yes, everyone in racing doesn't like the rules and they are bad, but what was the great about the ride? That he hit the horse 9 times, so he managed to get back on the line? My arse. James Best gave FL the better ride as far as I'm concerned. I felt for the lad, because he deserved to win it.
I had a small bet on Featherbed Lane at 9/1 and I do feel a bit aggrieved. If Kennedy had played by the rules then I would have had a good winner. Having said that its a very hard call and knowing the money was down Kennedy obviously did all he could. Whatever way you skin this the rules are clearly not working and need addressing.

Re: The Jockey Thread The racing press and TV pundits are missing the point here, it's people like Kennedy that give the sport a bad name, as mileni states bang average rider and first sign of trouble and he gets whip happy, it will take years of re-training and for the younger breed to come through.

Re: The Jockey Thread Yet another cracking ride from Richard Johnson in the 2:10 at Plumpton.

1 She's Humble (IRE) 11-12 p R Johnson Mrs L C Jewell 10 5/1
prominent, mistake 1st, tracked leaders, led approaching 4 out, headed before next, rallied to lead again last, stayed on well, (2 fences ommited) touched 9/2
2 1¾ Goring Two (IRE) 10-12 M Goldstein (3) Miss A M Newton-Smith 7 8/11

I like Spencer normally but christ he would have won if he just played it easy and came wide' date=' surely.[/quote'] He is an over-rated cnut. Dont know how many times he has to do rides like that for people to see that. Of course when they pull off they look great, thats why he has a good name for some people. Never rated him, would struggle to back him, would only ever back him if i was very confident the horse would win. Spencer = donkey

He is an over-rated cnut. Dont know how many times he has to do rides like that for people to see that. Of course when they pull off they look great, thats why he has a good name for some people. Never rated him, would struggle to back him, would only ever back him if i was very confident the horse would win. Spencer = donkey
I think he's very good from the front but there was no need to overcomplicate things there. Perhaps would have lost a bit of ground coming wide but he was clearly on the best horse and I'm positive he'd have won regardless - considering he was stopped for a few strides and flew home. Just a shame because he was the best horse in the race.

I think he's very good from the front but there was no need to overcomplicate things there. Perhaps would have lost a bit of ground coming wide but he was clearly on the best horse and I'm positive he'd have won regardless - considering he was stopped for a few strides and flew home. Just a shame because he was the best horse in the race.
He is very good from the front. But how many times has the horse been given too much to do when its clearly the best horse in the race? I can remember anything up to 50 times over the past 5 years. Dont like him at all

He is very good from the front. But how many times has the horse been given too much to do when its clearly the best horse in the race? I can remember anything up to 50 times over the past 5 years. Dont like him at all
Catch 22 situation sometimes like tonight, though. The booking alone makes you stand up and take notice that the yard seem confident, but then you have Spencer on board :lol

I share your dislike of Spencer , far too many times he's lost races by trying to look cool in the saddle. Saying that I have to I must say I think he's one of the best jockeys around and has been since his teenage years. I was also impressed with him when he was riding over jumps and would have been a top jockey in that shere had he persisted. I'd back him more often if he makes more of an effort especially when riding fancied horses. I pretty much concur with what you say about him Aidymac

Re: The Jockey Thread Anyone think ride of Bellvano by geraghty in 1.30 was strange . Sitting handy in 3rd then joined Cadre at final fence , Cadre looked to be idling a bit yet he never asked it to go on , hands and heels till last 50-100yards or so when he realised fav had found something and used the whip Thought the horse had plenty left 2-1 fence out. Not pocket talkin as never had a bet but looked like schooling

Anyone think ride of Bellvano by geraghty in 1.30 was strange . Sitting handy in 3rd then joined Cadre at final fence , Cadre looked to be idling a bit yet he never asked it to go on , hands and heels till last 50-100yards or so when he realised fav had found something and used the whip Thought the horse had plenty left 2-1 fence out. Not pocket talkin as never had a bet but looked like schooling
I only watched it on my phone but I thought the same as the commentator, that it had emptied and found nothing. As soon as I saw it cruise up on the bridle and then flop I thought Harchibald. Must have been short in running, had stalked them all the way round, came there confident and then failed to challenge. When the fav found more it had no answer but not sure if Geraghty had waited too long, maybe he knew it would find nil when asked to go on??? Will try catch the race again later, did seem strange at he time.