Tennis - French Open

Re: Tennis - French Open Hi guys, 1 pick for French Open 4st round matche later today: WOZNIACKI TO D PENNETTA @ 1.85 on centrebet Wozniacki had her best results on hard courts so far but her game is just perfect for clay. Her recent leg injury seems to be in the past. I think Pennetta is a more attacking player but Wozniacki's counter-punching game is probably the worst possible match-up for Pennetta. Head2Head is 2:0 to Wozniacki with both wins coming in 2009.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - French Open Sharapova v Henin - Henin @ 1.42 Betfair One set each when bad light stopped play for day, I think Henin can get back on top after a blip in the 2nd set, Henin is 2-0 overall against her on clay courts and should come through this one. Murray v Berdych - Berdych @ 6/4 Paddy Power Murray has not been at his best lately and even still in this tournament I don't think his been great, more so his opponents have let him in. Tomas Berdych is in good nick at present and holds a decent record on clay this season, I think he'll cause Murray problems this afternoon and this could be a close match

Re: Tennis - French Open Hmmm, today is a tough day. Not too many mis-matches to get involved in so we're looking at quality players. A lot of the handicaps are poorly priced and even outright prices are stingy, IMO. Think I'm going to sit today out and enjoy watching four cracking men's matches.

Re: Tennis - French Open

Sport Tennis
Event Venus Williams v Nadia Petrova
Selection Lay Nadia Petrova (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.35 (Lay)
Reasoning Petrova got a nice win for me over Rezai, but I can't see her winning here. Venus has really impressed me the past few weeks, I think she's genuinely playing well (and she normally wins a lot when playing bad!). Her serving is good and just all round her level seems high. Both players struggle a bit with the momement, but I'd say Venus is more vunerable to a little quick player who moves better than her. Can't see an upset here.

Sport Tennis
Event Andy Murray vs. Tomas Berdych
Selection Berdych
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.29 (Back)
Reasoning Well, Andy Murray is a great player but on clay is a different situation, there are no doubts that he can do his job in the defence very well as he is really a great defender, but on clay he has no real dangerous weapons and it comes every time very difficult to hold his serve. Tomas Berdych is the player with a good serve and forehand, he possess theose qualities to eliminate and to make that winner till the end against a good defence, a defence like Murray's once. Berdych should dominate this one as he has all the qualities to do that, Murray will try as always to defend as well as he can but it should come too difficult this time. Murray can cope against players like Baghdatis or even David Ferrer but against Berdych is another style of playing, Tomas can hit those nice winners and can end the rallies more faster and easy in the same time. In this game the style is a very important aspect and IMO Berdych as I have mentionated should have the game in his hands and it will be up to him if he will lose or win it. Both players did impressed till this moment in the competition, but Berdych looked better as he still didn't lost at least one set. Good Luck!

Sport Tennis
Event Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs. Mikhail Youzhny
Selection Tsonga
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.05 (Back)
Reasoning Well, this should be a very difficult one as both players are very closed from the class point of view, but Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is the player with more stability on his side, his amazing serve and forehand should make the difference here. The russian player Mikhail Youzhny can always be a very difficult opponent sa as I have mentionated this one should not be a easy one. Mikhail Youzhny is not playing his best tennis on clay as Tsonga too,both players can play better tennis on faster surfaces. Tsonga will play at home and that should be an advantage for him, also when you know that Jo impress more certain when playing at home. Youzhny showed some great results this year, but all of them were on hard, not on clay and this is one important reason why we have to go against him today. Tsonga can play amazing tennis sometimes, certain when playing at home and today could be one of those good days:). All in all, Youzhny impressed a lot this season on hard, but on clay there is another situation. Good Luck!

Re: Tennis - French Open I think Dementieva is a good price to beat Petrova. Petrova's probably favoured by the bookies because she beat Williams, but Williams always gets knocked out of grand slams at this stage - bar Wimbledon - by any sort of decent player these days, so I don't really think much stock should put into that victory. Dementieva holds a 7-3 head to head advantage (although Petrova won their previous meeting on clay) and I think she'll come through against Petrova, who has had a tough match physically against Rezai and a tough one mentally against Williams(looked straight-forward but I'm sure it took alot out of her). So there might be a come down in both departments and against a hitter like Dementieva, that may prove too much too overcome. So Dementieva for me at 11/10 Paddy Powers.

Re: Tennis - French Open I really like the 3.50 odds betfair are offering for Petrova to reach the final. After 5% commission, that's 3.375. The best odds you can get on her to beat Dementieva tomorrow are 1.67 at paddypower, and if we were to create a double on this (Petrova to win quarter & semi-final), we'd need her to be over evens in the next round. She probably won't get that even if Wozniaki is her next oponent, and if Schiavone goes through - wow, we've got a real chance at decent money haven't we. It's a bet that gives slight value if Wozniaki is the given semi-finalist, but massive value when we know that she could potentially be knocked out by Schiavone.

Sport Tennis
Event Jelena Jankovic v Daniela Hantuchova
Selection Daniela Hantuchova +4.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 1.72 (Back)
Reasoning Slight concern over a should injury for Hantuchova, but I'll still take this as at least with a handicap it's void on retirement. Hantuchova has beaten Jankovic twice already on clay this year, and that should give her some good confidence for this. Jankovic has been playing well, but had a strange match with A Bondarenko where she really struggled to hold serve. She's also been known to choke in slams before, or at least make things really difficult for herself. That's enough reasons to have a play against her here.
Sport Tennis
Event Yaroslava Shvedova v Jarmila Groth
Selection Lay Jarmila Groth (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.95 (Lay)
Reasoning Groth is having a dream run here, but let's be honest she's had a plum draw. Highest ranked player she's played has been Date Krumm, who was suffering quite badly with an injury and is pushing 40 years old! Now she plays Shvedova who is a real player and got a nice win for me over Kleybanova. Real differnce in class here and I can't see past a comfortable Shvedova victory.
Sport Tennis
Event Serena Williams v Shahar Peer
Selection Shahar Peer +5.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.90 (Back)
Reasoning Peer is having a really good run on the clay. She's only been stopped in tournaments by Henin and Venus twice. Serena will probably stop her here but that doesn't mean she can't cover this tournament. Serena was apparently ill during her last match, not sure what to make of that but whatever she did play awful for a while. A repeat of that hear wouldn't go amiss, but even if it's straight sets I think Peer is playing well enough to keep it close enough.
Sport Tennis
Event Fernando Verdasco v Nicolas Almagro
Selection Fernando Verdasco
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Totesport @ 1.83 (Back)
Reasoning Just look at this price! Last year when they played here Verdasco was 1.2 and come through in 3. Since then Almagro has gone up 10 places in the ranking but before Madrid a few weeks ago he was ranked the same. The price seems to have been affected by an injury scare for Verdasco. He was struggling against Kohlschreiber and seemed to be in a lot of pain near the end of the 4th set. He had some treatment on his toe and played on, still hobbling around but played well in the 5th. Great that he's had a day to rest, and hopefully he'll be OK. Can get very close to top price at totesport who void on retirements which seems like a good idea. Verdasco has a bigger game, I think is better in tight situations and is a big match player. The only negative is the injury concern, but this price is big enough to make up for it.
Sport Tennis
Event Justine Henin v Sam Stosur
Selection Sam Stosur +4.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 1.87 (Back)
Reasoning Think Stosur could run this really close. She clearly likes the conditions here with a shock run to the semis last year and another good run here. She seems to really be able to get her spin and power to work on the courts a lot like Nadal does. Henin has a bit of a disadvantage not having a day off, and we saw the problems Sharapovas power gave her. These two met in the Stuttgart final and it went to 3 sets, Henin winning and winning by 3 games.
Sport Tennis
Event Rafael Nadal v Tomasz Belucci
Selection Tomasz Belucci + 9.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.05 (Back)
Reasoning This is a really big number to cover. I was watching the Nadal match against Hewitt, and just thinking 'he isn't the same player'. I remember from the past couple of years he was utterly destroying opponents, guys like Hewitt, Almagro, Verdasco, even Federer barely able to get more than a game per set off him. He's had comfortable scorelines against Mina and Zeballos so far, but he just isn't playing that good. Hewitt was pretty close to him, and I was surprised by that. I can see Belucci getting close aswell, falling to a similar scoreline as Hewitt. He's a quality clay courter who had some excellent runs earlier in the year. He had a struggle against Andular which looks poor, but he bounced back well against Ljubicic. I think he's the type who will relish the challenge against Nadal, and should cover this handicap fairly handily.
Sport Tennis
Event Novak Djokovic v Robby Ginepri
Selection Under 33.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.92 (Back)
Reasoning This seems like a reasonable number to go under. Expecting a straight sets win for Djokovic. Ginepri has had a fabulous run, certainly not one that I was expecting, but this Djokovic will be too much. Think Ginepri will just stand up on the baseline and hit with Djokovic, and I don't see that being an effective strategy. Djokovic has dropped a couple of sets so far but seems to be playing OK, and starting the 2nd week won't want to get into a tough battle. Also think Ginepri is suffering with blisters which may hamper his game here.

Re: Tennis - French Open Took Berdych @ 8/13 to beat Youzhny(William Hill) for Tuesday. Never know if Berdych will struggle after walloping Murray so easily but think he's playing too well for Youzhny here. Serving big, fairly consistent from the back of the court, dictating the rallies.....these guys have a tough h2h 6-5 to Youzhny and 1-1 on clay....Youzhny not as good as Murray in defence but he can cause problems with his backhand which has good variety. Still going for the power player here, great chance for Berdych to reach a GS semi-final. Don;t see a whole lot tomorrow. I'm mulling over Hantuchova in some capacity......looks good value at 2/1. Jankovic higher ranked player and more consistent but it's not like she's done a great deal in GS events.Hantuchova has beaten her twice on clay since April but you just never know about her in a major event. Over 20.5 games a big possiblity in this one IMO.

Re: Tennis - French Open Melzer and Gabashvili have both made big upsets last round knocking out Ferrer and Roddick. Now Melzer is around 1,30 to beat Gaba what is probably fair but poor price, no chance to take that. Melzer on his day can beat anyone, has few impressive wins against top players this year and shouldn't have problems today but Gabashvili is in great form and in quarter final of a slam and he must see a good chance against Melzer who can be **it on a day. Russian can make this really tight so two bets for me: (5/10) over 36,5 games what is pretty low line @ 1,72 bet365 (4/10) over 9,5 games in 1st set @ 1,80 bet365 (both played ten games in 1st set last round)

Re: Tennis - French Open Fernando Verdasco and Nicolas Almagro meet for the second successive time in the French Open and like their meeting last year, I expect Verdasco to prevail. He leads the H2H 3-0 and although there has been at least one tie-break in every match they have played, Verdasco is yet to lose a set. Almagro is perhaps the more comfortable on clay but I can't see him being able to keep his A-game up over five sets, which he'll have to do here. Verdasco is a scrapper as well as a supremely good shot-maker. He'll make Almagro hit a lot of balls and that's when I fear for him - he can overcook a number of shots. He's also got an abysmal record against lefties. Admittedly, a lot of those matches have been against Nadal, but the fact that he's struggled with Verdasco in the past suggests that he can't deal with lefties very well. I have more faith in Verdasco keeping his cool in tense situations. Almagro is an explosive player and his temperament can get the better of him. I expect the match to go over, but the +40.5 game line is huge. Even if it does go the distance, I reckon Verdasco will come out on top. Odds of 1.80 on him to do so are IMO generous, so I'm willing to back it. Teimuraz Gabashvili, who has yet to lose a set, takes on Jurgen Melzer and I have to side with the Austrian here. It has been some run by the Russian, capped off by beating Andy Roddick in the last round, but I can't see him getting to the quarter finals of a Slam. He's lost to Melzer in his only match against him but what worries me more for Gabashvili is his poor record against lefties, which reads W4 L13. This is mainly down to his backhand being extremely loose and I expect Melzer to pounce upon that. Melzer will be flying - I didn't see his match against David Ferrer but he must of played very well to beat him - and I suspect he'll look to come out of the traps sharpish. He's got a bit more big-game experience than Gabashvili and with stakes high for the winner, that could be crucial. Gabashvili's only huge result here was beating Roddick. His path had been easy before then and I still recall the player who has imploded on many occasions on the Tour. It appears he's ironed some of those foibles out but I can't see him being a major threat to Melzer today. The outright price on Melzer is too skinny but I'm happy to chance the -5.5 game line at 1.901. The other match that I think could be worth a peek is the one between Thomaz Bellucci and Rafael Nadal. This is Bellucci's first real move in a Slam but he's still a relative novice in matches like this. He's a talented player. Nice movement, good serve and thunderous forehand, but the leftie still needs to work on tactics, concentration and shot-building. He beat Ivan Ljubicic in the last round 3-0 but I think that result was partly down to the Croat's injury - he has a rib ailment that affected his serve. Bellucci's serve was patchy in that one - Ljubicic broke more than once - and he can't afford to be as generous against Nadal. Look back to Bellucci's match with Pablo Andujar, where he was taken to five sets, and his inconsistencies are clear. I don't doubt his potential and I expect him to be a very good player in a few years, but his inexperience and naivety could be exposed by Nadal here. The Spaniard hasn't burst into top gear yet and I expect him to send out a signal of intent at some point before the final. This could be the match where he does so. He's got the ability to return Bellucci's big shots and that could be enough to break the Brazilian down. They met at Roland Garros two years ago, Nadal winning 7-5 6-3 6-1. A repeat scoreline would cover the -9.5 handicap, which is priced at a generous 2.17. I don't trust many players with that sort of handicap, but I reckon Nadal could cover it here. My selections today are: - Fernando Verdasco at 1.80 with Pinnacle (4/10) - Jurgen Melzer -5.5 games at 1.901 with Pinnacle (4/10) - Rafael Nadal -9.5 games at 2.17 with Pinnacle (3/10) :hope

Re: Tennis - French Open Verdasco - Almagro : Verdasco win - 6 pts - 1.83 Eurobet H2H is 3-0 for Verdasco. Battle between two spaniard. It'll be hard match, but Verdasco is more accomplished player. Verdasco won here with Kunitsy, Serra and Kohlschreiber. In match with kohlschreiber he broke his toenail, but he showed a great mentality and won. Almagro won with Haase, Darcis and Dolgopolov. I think Verdasco is still better player than Almagro and he will win this match. :hope:hope

Melzer and Gabashvili have both made big upsets last round knocking out Ferrer and Roddick. Now Melzer is around 1,30 to beat Gaba what is probably fair but poor price, no chance to take that. Melzer on his day can beat anyone, has few impressive wins against top players this year and shouldn't have problems today but Gabashvili is in great form and in quarter final of a slam and he must see a good chance against Melzer who can be **it on a day. Russian can make this really tight so two bets for me: (5/10) over 36,5 games what is pretty low line @ 1,72 bet365 (4/10) over 9,5 games in 1st set @ 1,80 bet365 (both played ten games in 1st set last round)
Great shouts mate :clap Looks like we were all winners on this match as Melzer covered the handicap for me.

Re: Tennis - French Open Verdasco v Almagro - Verdasco @ 1.78 betfair Verdasco leads 3-0 on H2H and over a five set format I can't see that changing, Verdasco is a gutsy player, he has beaten Almagro in straight sets on the 3 times they met, odds look to generous it makes you think about it but I see him coming through this in the end.

Re: Tennis - French Open 7pts Fernando Verdasco to beat Nicolas Almagro at 8/11 with Paddy Power Not much more to say on this after Atko's post covered the reasons why i am backing Verdasco. Confident stake due to Almagro's head to head record and his record against lefties.

Sport Tennis
Event Jelena Jankovic v Daniela Hantuchov
Selection Hantuchov
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 3.10 (Back)
Reasoning Daniela Hantuchova did impressed a lot here so far at Fench Open, she didn't lost at least one set and now she will play against a really difficult player Jelena Jankovic. Jankovic didn't showed her best tennis, or at least she didn't showed too much stability in her play, she had some problems in her games. From the class point of view Jankovic is surely the better player than Hantuchova but there is an advantage is style for Hantuchova here as she is the type of player who end the points more faster than other players, she can hit the winner right after the serve and that could create some problems to Jankovic. Hantuchova can cope against Jankovic's style because she can hit some nice winners and there are not so many long rallies in the game where Jelena could make the difference from the baseline. Hantuchova impressed more than Jankovic so far here at French Open, her form looked better and IMO she could get the victory today. Hantuchov's form together with her good weapons against a good defence could have the word in this one. Good Luck!

Hi guys, 1 pick for French Open 4st round matche later today: WOZNIACKI TO D PENNETTA @ 1.85 on centrebet Wozniacki had her best results on hard courts so far but her game is just perfect for clay. Her recent leg injury seems to be in the past. I think Pennetta is a more attacking player but Wozniacki's counter-punching game is probably the worst possible match-up for Pennetta. Head2Head is 2:0 to Wozniacki with both wins coming in 2009.
Sharapova v Henin - Henin @ 1.42 Betfair One set each when bad light stopped play for day, I think Henin can get back on top after a blip in the 2nd set, Henin is 2-0 overall against her on clay courts and should come through this one. Murray v Berdych - Berdych @ 6/4 Paddy Power Murray has not been at his best lately and even still in this tournament I don't think his been great, more so his opponents have let him in. Tomas Berdych is in good nick at present and holds a decent record on clay this season, I think he'll cause Murray problems this afternoon and this could be a close match
Thought I'd give these two a mention as well. Great shouts (a few people had Berdych) but the best one was Wozniacki at a nice price. Keep it up lads :ok

Sport Tennis
Event Jarmila Groth v Yaroslava Shvedova
Selection Shvedova (-4.5) GH (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 31/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price 5Dimes @ 2.15 (Back)
Reasoning Yaroslava Shvedova did impressed a lot here at French Open, she really looked in a great form, she defeated Radwanska and Kleybanova, two really difficult players. Today she will play gainst Jarmila Groth who is not a typical clay-courter as she likes to play more on faster surfaces, her baseline play is not so stable and she should have some problems from the point of view. Shvedova is clear the better player here, she should dominate the game, her movement on the court is much better. All in all, Shvedova is just over Groth's level and she should take it easy in two sets. Good Luck!

Re: Tennis - French Open does nobody else fancy youzhny tomorrow against murray's conqueror, considering his odds and recent performances. Tsonga retired at the end of the first set in the previous round so he's likely to be fresh and usually he is very good out of the traps :ok

Re: Tennis - French Open Too much tennis for Verdasco, bet he's regretting playing Nice last week. Nadal is looking vulnerable aswell, think he'll still win it but he would have faced big problems if Soderling was in his half this time....serving very average and alot of mid-court balls from him.

Too much tennis for Verdasco, bet he's regretting playing Nice last week. Nadal is looking vulnerable aswell, think he'll still win it but he would have faced big problems if Soderling was in his half this time....serving very average and alot of mid-court balls from him.
Agree on both counts. Almagro to win a set v Nadal is 2.62 on Skybet and I think it's worth a pop.

Don;t think I'm betting anything tomorow. Prices on Berdych and Petrova seem a little low but I don't want to oppose them:unsure
cramer u seem to be fairly good on the tennis, do u not think its worth a look at youzhny to win, as he is fresh from the tsonga game?

cramer u seem to be fairly good on the tennis' date=' do u not think its worth a look at youzhny to win, as he is fresh from the tsonga game?[/quote'] I was thinking about Youzhny, but not because of the Tsonga game. It's about the match up. Youzhny has done well in the H2H and whenever I've watched them it looks to have really suited Youzhny and Berdych hasn't been able to hit through him. However, Berdych has a higher level and if he plays like he did against Murray he WILL hit through him. For me, it's not the type of situation I want to get involved in before the match, better to wait and see how they are playing. Probably better to wait and see the conditions too, if it's heavy then Berdych has the power but if it's sunny and bright then Youzhny can get through the court too and it will probably be more even. Of course, also have to consider this is a really big match for both, and could be down to who deals with the pressure better.