** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

International Friendlies > 2010

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May

I am indeed. To be honest it's not the type of game which I feel is conducive to taking any bet with strong stakes, but if I were to pick something it'd definitely be unders. The absence of quality attacking players like Kewell and most likely Cahill will again point towards unders. New Zealand's best player is Nelsen, who is a centreback, so it's also fair to say that defence is the strongest. I haven't actually read the New Zealand team updates, but I'd strongly suspect that he (Nelson) will play. Probably would suggest the odds should be reversed on the over/under, but it is a friendly, and many of the Australian attackers like Vidosic, Tommy Oar (a player to watch for in the future) will be pushing hard for a place in the final 23, so it is by no means a lock. I'll only be taking a few side bets -- am on the 0-0 and 1-0 @ 16 and 7.2 respectively (Betfair). Still mulling over a couple of other options.
Agree with you CP. Verbeek is too conservative Australia - New Zealand under 2.5 @ 1.97 pinnacle Not expecting this to be an open game as both teams, who are rivals, will be looking to fine tune their preparation for the World Cup. Australia for that matter is not at full strength and with several squad positions still up for grabs then expect some of the fringe players to get plenty of game time. New Zealand would probably be much more ready to win this game, but looking through their roster they do lack quality. While they will pressure and look to contain Australia, they lack enough good players when going forward to trouble Australian and they will find it hard to break down a solid Australian defence. Australia has a decent defence because of Verbeek's view he is looking not to lose, instead of looking to win. Often they play a 4-5-1 system and do not support the striker in numbers. With 9 players defending in two lines, then they are well away from supporting the striker when they do attack, while the opposition gets enough time to get numbers behind the ball. Verbeek is very conservative in his approach, so while the Australian public will expect a win, then either they will edge this, or it will end in a draw, as both teams will cancel each other out, with most of the game played in the midfield.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May Having seen both games between NZ and Bahrein, I cant believe there is this kind of talk about Aussies, NZ are by far the worst team to reach World Cup in decades. It should take a lot of disinterest for Aussies not to beat NZ with at least 2 goal margin. From what I read I suppose under is the best bet, for there is no way Aussies would not control the game. As of South Africa game, I have a feeling Bafana need some boost before the WC starts, so I would also not be surprised that Bulgaria was picked for that reason. Pretty weak and not complete team, expected to lose with pride. Something like 2-1 SA would be my choice. Argentina is Argentina and I cant see them affording not to win by at least 2 or 3 goals margin. I also believe Canada will be happy to lose 0-2 for they havent scored a single goal last 4 games. But if things go wrong for Canadians wouldnt be surprised to see them losing 0-5

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May Reliably told our team is this: ..................federici.................. milligan....moore...neill......carney.. ..............grella..culina............... ....vidosic......cahill.....bresciano.... ................scott mac................. My Bets for the game... Main Bet Under 2.5 Goals @ 2.06 Betfair Side/Fun Bets CS 0-0 @ 16 Betfair CS 1-0 @ 7.2 Betfair HT/FT New Zealand/Australia @ 44 Betfair First Goal Time 71-80 @ 21 Sportingbet First Goal Time 81-90 @ 19 Sportingbet Craig Moore FGS @ 29 Centrebet The 0-0 and 1-0 bets I've explained earlier. The other three relate to Australia not playing a full strength team. It's quite possible that the team will take a while to click, and given Verbeek's tendency for negative tactics, the game could be 0-0 for quite a while. And of course Tim Cahill could score a later winner for a 1-0 win (it's what Tim does best!). The HT/FT bet is just a value pick. I should point out that all the side bets are just a small bit of value speccing based on what I think is the most likely way this game plays out. As for Moore, I'm fairly certain he'll take our penalties in Kewell's absence at least. He'll also be a target from corners and given I expect this to be a low scoring game a set piece could well decide it. Set Piece target + penalty taker (I think - don't hold me to it!) @ 29 against NZ side is IMO, good value.

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May Can't believe this bullshit. How this game went over is beyond me. Ref plays an extra minute of extra time and the worst player in the Australian squad miskicks it in :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall

Don't you know you can't eat value' date=' Oscar?! :eyes[/quote'] Must have missed the memo on that one. Can I drink it instead? :tongue2 Very unlucky. In all objectivity, the full time whistle should definitely have been blown 5-10 seconds earlier. You're not wrong about Holman either, he's awful. Here's hoping that Oar is on the plane at his expense :hope

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May I am so effing annoyed it's untrue. Cheers Holman you shower of.. That has put a right sour taste in my mouth. Dirty Aussies..I'm an Evertonian and even I think Cahill should have been sent off. Grella should definitely have been off! Together they might well have ended Bertos' World Cup dream. ARAGFSioajoIFHASiugfhoasfhioasfhaiofshioahfaisfhapsfapsifajpsfafp as fasfsa how many times are these referees going to cost me!

It seems it will be a really exciting match, exactly how I suspected. Because I'm not much of an English writer, I will post here 2 links (I hope I'm allowed to) which could help making an ideea about the game: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2010/05/136_66351.html and http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2920832. I haven't decided yet regarding any bet. Still, I think that taking over 2.25 goals at 2.05 @ Bet365 might worth a try. Although the game is expected to be a tight affair, the determination and the players' vanity could lead to some goals. Goodluck whatever you choose.
0-2 FT. There was no chance for over because only one team played today. Japan were really poor.

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May England v Mexico There's been a bit of noise about the pitch this week and I think there might be an element of self-preservation in play tonight. Mexico are a decent side who I believe have shipped just one goal in eight games or so, though they have only scored 3 in their past 5. England are obviously a fairly good defensive unit and with aforesaid pitch conditions I think a bore-draw could be on the cards tonight. Small Bets On... Correct Score 0-0 @ 14 Betfair First Goal Time 81-90 @ 25 Betfair (because with so many late substitutions taking place, a defensive error etc. can always arise, and these types of games often have a late goal)

South Africa (-0.5) vs Bulgaria for Game -103 (pinnacle) Same team that beat Thailand by 4-0
I agree with you. South Africa for sure will want to make happy their fans jsut before the World Cup starting. Bulgaria without Berbatov is not so strong team. In the latest games Berbatov made the difference betwwen Bulgaria and some small teams like Malta. So home win for me, too.

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May ENgland v Mexico This game will be interesting no doubt. The Chelsea squad is missing, lots of fringe players getting the nod tonight, I would imagine ROONS, GERRARD and the other BIG Guns will get subbed at half time. I can't see a fluent great England performance tonight. I'm sure some of the fringe players are playing for their place in the squad, so ofcourse I don't doubt the commitment, but I just feel that odds of 1.50 on England are way too short for a friendly, those odds are very low for a makeshift side playing on a dodgy pitch. All of the players are worried about this pitch, as it could wreck the players chances of making the WC etc. I'm looking at UNDER 2.5 goals @ 1.98 LAY England @ 1.53 Mexico +1.5 @ 1.72 Haven't made up my mind yet.. Any Comments.?

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May Portugal v Cape Verde Islands Most people seem to think Portugal are going to steam roller Cape Verde! However they are an improved team in the last couple of years and are unbeaten in their last 4 matches.

24-03-2009FriendlyW Angola0 - 1Cape Verde Islands
27-03-2009FriendlyW Cape Verde Islands5 - 0Equatorial Guinea
03-09-2009FriendlyW Malta0 - 2Cape Verde Islands
09-09-2009FriendlyD Angola1 - 1Cape Verde Islands
Portugal are in good form recently however they haven't steam rollered teams that they are supposed to and the best/highest victory they have in recent times was back in Aug 08 when they beat a far worse team than Cap Verde in Faroe Islands 5 v 0. Portugal are a team that are well known for taking it easy in friendlies - in fact their last 3 matches have been friendlies where they have not battered the lowly teams they have faced:
10-06-2009FriendlyD Estonia 0 - 0Portugal
12-08-2009FriendlyW Liechtenstein 0 - 3Portugal
03-03-2010FriendlyW Portugal 2 - 0China PR
Cape Verde have mostly a contingent of players that play in the Portugese league and will know various players from the opposing side. Prediction: Cape Verde Islands +3 HCP @2.10 William Hill **** :ok

Here is the Argentina line up. Looks full strength to me http://www.goal.com/en-india/match/44967/argentina-vs-canada/preview Surely there is no way on earth that Argentina wont win.
That won't be the line-up, mate. I think Goal.com... I'm not sure what they do, but I doubt both line-ups will be announced that early. Besides, Muscleman fancies Canada in that one.

Portugal v Cape Verde Islands Most people seem to think Portugal are going to steam roller Cape Verde! However they are an improved team in the last couple of years and are unbeaten in their last 4 matches.
24-03-2009FriendlyW Angola0 - 1Cape Verde Islands
27-03-2009FriendlyW Cape Verde Islands5 - 0Equatorial Guinea
03-09-2009FriendlyW Malta0 - 2Cape Verde Islands
09-09-2009FriendlyD Angola1 - 1Cape Verde Islands
Portugal are in good form recently however they haven't steam rollered teams that they are supposed to and the best/highest victory they have in recent times was back in Aug 08 when they beat a far worse team than Cap Verde in Faroe Islands 5 v 0. Portugal are a team that are well known for taking it easy in friendlies - in fact their last 3 matches have been friendlies where they have not battered the lowly teams they have faced:
10-06-2009FriendlyD Estonia0 - 0Portugal
12-08-2009FriendlyW Liechtenstein0 - 3Portugal
03-03-2010FriendlyW Portugal2 - 0China PR
Cape Verde have mostly a contingent of players that play in the Portugese league and will know various players from the opposing side. Prediction: Cape Verde Islands +3 HCP @2.10 William Hill **** :ok
Mmmmm, I'm not sure. Estonia are no longer a team that get thrashed, at home anyway, and 0-0 isn't a huge surprise. 3-0 away at Liechtenstein is good, and I think China are probably Man United compared to Cape Verde. Portugal are improving alot lately, and could really spank Cape Verde. All depends on the teams though, which will probably be impossible to find.

That won't be the line-up' date=' mate. I think Goal.com... I'm not sure what they do, but I doubt both line-ups will be announced that early. Besides, [b']Muscleman fancies Canada in that one.
I think he actually mentioned laying Argentina as opposed to backing Canada - so a draw works equally well. Argentina are currently 1.14. I would not worry myself about backing them either.

I think he actually mentioned laying Argentina as opposed to backing Canada - so a draw works equally well. Argentina are currently 1.14. I would not worry myself about backing them either.
I'm only messin'.

Re: International Friendlies > 19th May - 26th May I'm watching the england game and south africa game on split screens and I am impressed by South Africa and think they are going to be a serious threat in their group v France, Mexico & Uruguay! I can see the French going home early from the world cup.