** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)?

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? I'm not long into this really and am a student so am por as they come. I do do maths though which is a massive help in this like this. My ambition is something different though. I would be in a really healthy profit if I got rid of one bad habit and that is my ambition to stop. Every win I get (lately some reasonable ones) maybe I put on £5 EW and get about £61.59 return for example, immediately I put £11.59 on the next race without studying it that much. I'm sure I don't have to tell you this doesn't pay off that much and I end up losing over a tenner most days for no good reason. It's happened well over 10 times this since I joined this site so if I can break this habit I will be fine and perfectly happy with how my betting is going.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? I'm surprised at the argument on here. I am not taking sides at all but I think even someone who knows little about racing would appreciate the knowledge of Billy. I know it is easy to throw claims about over an internet forum etc but there is no doubt in my mind he knows his stuff and I find it a privilege to be able to learn from it... Afterall we are all learning no matter how clued up we may be. I think the petty arguments should stop though, both of you are great at doing what you do so lets get back to finding those winners. :D

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)?

Billy, On PL, there are from what I have read, only three people that I believe have what it takes to be a pro gambler; you, Russ and.... well I think you can guess the other one. That is not to say there are some others who have potential to do so, particularly Fintron.
Absolutely no way could Fintron do it full time. He'd be too busy smashing 90% of his bankroll on fancy ******* footsteps every time it ran!!!! :ok:ok:ok:ok:ok Let's concentrate on getting back to our own threads and BBOTD, and celebrating those fine things with WINNERS, WINNERS, CHICKEN DINNERS :nana:nana:nana:ok

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Very enjoyable thread to read.....Great battle of the EGO's!! Three things to say : 1) To GT : There may people here who can make a living out of this game without harping on about it!! 2) To BTP : Never ever vary staking pattern. Making a profit to level stakes is the key to keeping calm, consistent and totally stress free. 3) To Everyone : Keep working. Have a career/job and use a successful gambling strategy in order to build up a bank for early retirement. Again helps to keep things stress free and avoid errors. GL to all :cheers

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Ginge, sorry for my bad understanding of the english language, i must try harder to read one thing and then translate it into something else. Now you have finished backtracking maybe you should get back to your own thread which you have been updating for ages, amazes me why you cant keep it up to date, its not difficult is it? By the way whats your ambition? Dont tell me, too piss everyone off on every racing forum on the internet, how many is it now? Whats the 'true' odds on you doing that? Think you still owe Bill an apology, but thats just my opinion, which you dont think much of do you?

Ginge, sorry for my bad understanding of the english language, i must try harder to read one thing and then translate it into something else. Now you have finished backtracking maybe you should get back to your own thread which you have been updating for ages, amazes me why you cant keep it up to date, its not difficult is it? By the way whats your ambition? Dont tell me, too piss everyone off on every racing forum on the internet, how many is it now? Whats the 'true' odds on you doing that? Think you still owe Bill an apology, but thats just my opinion, which you dont think much of do you?
Ouch!:spank:lol You are right there BH. We are touchy today aren't we. Aaaaarrrhhhh, did that post / quote I put on here show you up for the hypocrate you are then.:(:cry One rule for one, one for another, depending who they are. Criticising people for something and letting others get away with exactly the same isn't right (in my opinion). I thought we had finished this. Myself and Billy have ended our misunderstanding, it was all forgotten. There was NO back tracking, by either of us. Do you really want me to explain it all to you again? If you don't want me on here BH, just say why don't you?:ok:eyes I'll leave you to it. I said on my thread I will do the P/L soon. Would've done it before but other things have intervened. And studying comes first. Anyway as I said earlier in this thread, wasn't planning on doing my own threads for much longer anyway. Will do the P/L this weekend if that is o.k. with you BH. Whatever forum I am on, if I see something that I believe is not fair or correct I will say so. If that pisses some people off, so be it. It is not a popularity contest. And judging from the views this has got it's been good entertainment. You do a great job with those competitions and stuff BH, you really do, credit to you for that. But you never have liked me from day one. Can't seem to say or do anything right as far as you are concerned can I. You've never forgotten about those first few days. Are you a friend of Mr. Win2Win by any chance?:lol Thankyou and goodnight. Mark (Ginge)

Absolutely no way could Fintron do it full time. He'd be too busy smashing 90% of his bankroll on fancy ******* footsteps every time it ran!!!! :ok:ok:ok:ok:ok Let's concentrate on getting back to our own threads and BBOTD, and celebrating those fine things with WINNERS, WINNERS, CHICKEN DINNERS :nana:nana:nana:ok
:lol Fancy Footsteps was a make or break selection for me. Was overconfident, when I wasn't aware Cox had said she hadn't peaked for the race, but a lesson has been learned, i.e. don't smash if the horse has fitness concerns, no matter how well handicapped it is, and I still think she is well handicapped! Oh well. No takeaways until payday now!

I'm surprised at the argument on here. I am not taking sides at all but I think even someone who knows little about racing would appreciate the knowledge of Billy. I know it is easy to throw claims about over an internet forum etc but there is no doubt in my mind he knows his stuff and I find it a privilege to be able to learn from it... Afterall we are all learning no matter how clued up we may be. I think the petty arguments should stop though, both of you are great at doing what you do so lets get back to finding those winners. :D
Exactly how I feel, JJ. :ok

I'm surprised at the argument on here. I am not taking sides at all but I think even someone who knows little about racing would appreciate the knowledge of Billy. I know it is easy to throw claims about over an internet forum etc but there is no doubt in my mind he knows his stuff and I find it a privilege to be able to learn from it... Afterall we are all learning no matter how clued up we may be. I think the petty arguments should stop though, both of you are great at doing what you do so lets get back to finding those winners. :D
May surprise you to know, I feel the same way. As I have said so many times, I still believe Billy to be a very good profit making punter. Am sure we can all learn from him. It was never an arguement about whether he made a profit or not. Even if there were no profit/loss anywhere, it would still be obvious Billy is a very knowledgeable punter. Mark

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? The big misunderstanding came because Billy thought:I don't know why it is hard for you to understand that I made money away from my thread last season. One look at my 2009 thread suggests I find winners in all types of races.” Far from not making a profit, I was willing to believe he made an excellent one. On Billy's profit / loss thread he made 6% on stakes. To bring that figure up to 10% he would need to have a larger than 10% profit on his other bets (to allow for the 4% difference from 6% to 10% on the other). So I was / am willing, (with the tips I know he gave) to believe he made around 14% profit on the non-thread bets (over double his 6%). 14% is 4% bigger than most professional gamblers work to, so it's an excellent profit. Take a closer look at my posts, and you will see that is the case. But as the quote says, Billy thought I was suggesting he made a loss on these bets. I don't blame him for being angry at me if he thought that. It is probably my fault, because it is clear now many of you think I was saying Billy was a crap punter. I should have made things clearer, sorry. And no BH that is not back tracking. Without wishing to start the argument up again. As far as I am concerned the only points of issue I had were: Having great difficulty believing that Billy made a bigger than 14% (excellent) profit on the non-thread bets, when his thread profit was (a very good) 6%. And my opinion (only an opinion) that Billy is extremely over confident in his ability to make a profit every year. When many of the very best professional gamblers have some poor years. Hope you don't mind me putting things straight. Mark

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? The big misunderstanding Ginge is in your head. You are the ONLY person on this site who manages to bring a little bit of the appalling "betfair forum" mentality to the party. Whatever your personal problems with Billy, and I have to think you have more than a few, there is no need to vocalise them in such an aggressive way. From an outsiders perspective you appear to have a major issue with Billy's standing on here and fail to understand why that may be. You question any number of points he makes and seem often to just want to take an opposite side just for the sake of having an argument. I have no idea what Billy is like as a person, nor whether in reality he is a good guy, but I do know this. He knows as much about the game as anyone I have ever come across and that includes you. He doesn't I imagine have to do any mundane work like so many of us on here and I include carpet fitting in this bracket but he does afterall own/part own horses (not cheap), and have a bankroll for playing farely substantial poker buy-ins and cash games. Considering he is a died in the wool Millwall fan I dont expect he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth so I suspet that he is a rare example of someone who has built his bank roll up. If you have any aspirations to give up your job full-time (or continue to life that lifestyle if you have already), I suggest you keep your head down, deep fry all the chips that you carry around on your shoulder, and start believing that in life there may be people who know more than you do. Your quote - "Before this thread Billy, I was 100% convinced you were a successful professional gambler. Sadly, I now (with the claims on this thread which I think are unbelievable) have some doubts about that." is just laughable and ensured that any credibility you had with me went out the window. Truly pathetic. I cant quite believe I have got involved in argument - afterall it just means that I have come down to your level of pettiness but the fact is that I feel strongly enough to defend someone I have never met - that must say alot more about you than me Ginge....:wall

The big misunderstanding came because Billy thought: “I don't know why it is hard for you to understand that I made money away from my thread last season. One look at my 2009 thread suggests I find winners in all types of races.” Far from not making a profit, I was willing to believe he made an excellent one. On Billy's profit / loss thread he made 6% on stakes. To bring that figure up to 10% he would need to have a larger than 10% profit on his other bets (to allow for the 4% difference from 6% to 10% on the other). So I was / am willing, (with the tips I know he gave) to believe he made around 14% profit on the non-thread bets (over double his 6%). 14% is 4% bigger than most professional gamblers work to, so it's an excellent profit. Take a closer look at my posts, and you will see that is the case. But as the quote says, Billy thought I was suggesting he made a loss on these bets. I don't blame him for being angry at me if he thought that. It is probably my fault, because it is clear now many of you think I was saying Billy was a crap punter. I should have made things clearer, sorry. And no BH that is not back tracking. Without wishing to start the argument up again. As far as I am concerned the only points of issue I had were: Having great difficulty believing that Billy made a bigger than 14% (excellent) profit on the non-thread bets, when his thread profit was (a very good) 6%. And my opinion (only an opinion) that Billy is extremely over confident in his ability to make a profit every year. When many of the very best professional gamblers have some poor years. Hope you don't mind me putting things straight. Mark
Ginge, not wanting to take sides, but reading this thread I personally got the impression that the only time you would believe Billy's claims was if he produced a copy of his bank statements in front of you, and obviously that isn't gonna happen as thats confidential info, no one has any right to see. As others said above, we are all just users of a public forum and we come on here to share our selections and views with others and take on board stuff from the older heads, but it isn't a competition to see who is top dog, and the tone of this thread seemed very much that way to me. The Billy/Ginge arguments on PL have always been a source of enjoyment to me, I have always enjoyed reading them, as there is a lot of knowledge between you both which I feel I can learn from, but some of the accusations and stuff went a little OTT this time, and rather than discussing racing matters, things got a bit personal, which nobody wants to see.

The big misunderstanding came because Billy thought: “I don't know why it is hard for you to understand that I made money away from my thread last season. One look at my 2009 thread suggests I find winners in all types of races.” Far from not making a profit, I was willing to believe he made an excellent one. On Billy's profit / loss thread he made 6% on stakes. To bring that figure up to 10% he would need to have a larger than 10% profit on his other bets (to allow for the 4% difference from 6% to 10% on the other). So I was / am willing, (with the tips I know he gave) to believe he made around 14% profit on the non-thread bets (over double his 6%). 14% is 4% bigger than most professional gamblers work to, so it's an excellent profit. Take a closer look at my posts, and you will see that is the case. But as the quote says, Billy thought I was suggesting he made a loss on these bets. I don't blame him for being angry at me if he thought that. It is probably my fault, because it is clear now many of you think I was saying Billy was a crap punter. I should have made things clearer, sorry. And no BH that is not back tracking. Without wishing to start the argument up again. As far as I am concerned the only points of issue I had were: Having great difficulty believing that Billy made a bigger than 14% (excellent) profit on the non-thread bets, when his thread profit was (a very good) 6%. And my opinion (only an opinion) that Billy is extremely over confident in his ability to make a profit every year. When many of the very best professional gamblers have some poor years. Hope you don't mind me putting things straight. Mark
So much for shaking hands and moving on huh? I'm not going to dignify this with a defence because I am done with this 'discussion'. Thanks to all for the positive comments, won't mention names as don't want to drag anyone into argument. :ok:ok:ok

lol ok well if someone wants to sum up this thread in a paragraph for me please feel free to do so :)
Billy and Ginge had a celebrity deathmatch with BH as the referee. The action ebb'd and flo'd as both fighters struggled to gain the upper hand, before Ginge and BH came to blows and the whole event got abandoned :ok