What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)?

It's all quiet on a Sunday evening, so a light hearted question..... "What your betting ambition?" Is it to go through a card, get the Scoop 6 up, land the jackpot or something similarly ambitious? Or is it a target profit? Or are you happy just staying in profit? I'd love to hear everyone's views:ok

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)?

It's all quiet on a Sunday evening, so a light hearted question..... "What your betting ambition?" Is it to go through a card, get the Scoop 6 up, land the jackpot or something similarly ambitious? Or is it a target profit? Or are you happy just staying in profit? I'd love to hear everyone's views:ok
Just 1 winner would be nice at the moment. :lol I'd like to have all 5 classic winners in a season, think most I've ever done is 3.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Well as anyone knows I obly bet small because I enjoy so my ambition would be to have a great day out/at the bookies/enjoyable evening watching these amazing creatures and getting the andrenalin rush (better than drugs lol) and come out showing some profit would be nice

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? No real ambitions as such, but as basically every pro in the business claims to have pulled off a massive Scoop 6 coup, that is one thing I'd like to do. 5 out of 6 twice, with one time being exceptionally unlucky. Only do it on the big weekends though, handful of times a year.

Consistently make good predictions. First time i properly watched a horse race was about a month ago so any winning predictions for me are a bonus.
Good to see someone else whose fairly new to the game apart from myself! Personally, my ambition is just to make a bit of profit at the moment. Currently having a few losses and a bit of bad luck, swings and roundabouts though. I'm sure it'll come round soon enough when things go your way, just go to persevere (without going over the top, obviously). A little bit of spending money for Uni in Sept wouldn't go amiss! (Without employment obviously) Although I have all summer to pick the right horses.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? i would like to make my betting pay but i think firstly i need to go around everything i do diffrently i just seem to want to bet for the sake of betting but find it difficult to leave my bad habits behind,i need to drop everything im doing for a while and try a diffrent approach all together sorry for waffling

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? I love the spectacle of racing rather than betting. Maybe it was watching the Marx Bros film when I was a kid, maybe it was my dad's habit of marking off winners in the paper when I was a kid, maybe it was the local Gymkana every year, maybe a bit of everything, but as such, I don't 'bet' big like I presume many do, a big bet for me is a tenner. I do regularly put on my scoop6 or jackpot line and I make no bones about it, I'd love to win it someday, I'd love to pay off my mortgage and have enough of a comfort level to visit as many courses as I can.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Would love to go pro one day with a big bank behind me Also one of my main ambitions is to own a fair few good horses, and ultimately have a Grp 1 winner! Think big At the moment it is just watching racing and betting. I think you can make profit but it still takes time to just have a good overall view of racing, what types of races you do well at, and not so good at, and the only thing to improve this is experience As I have only been into racing for around 3 years I am a long way off this

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Mostly to make a profit year in year out, i think i am fairly close now and this place has been the making of me to be honest some goals financially would be to win a 4 figure sum, i have never managed it yet. I have been close on numerous occasions but these days backing singles unless i am having a ton on, that aint gonna happen Would love to keep back & wait for the day i think a certain horse will win & have the guts to put the lot on to win knowing i have saved it up for that day, its very frustrating when you have your nomal bet on a horse you have waited for & then a same amount on a horse you picked out earlier with a bit of homework.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? I still harbour an ambition to go pro at some point in the future, but personally feel I have taken a step back this season as I was regularly making money last year (small sums, but profit nonetheless). This year I've had the odd week where things have gone to plan, but overall feel I have taken a step back for some reason, despite the fact I feel my knowledge has increased. Overall, im down for the 2009 season. |So for the immediate term, my ambition is to start breaking even again, and then take things from there.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Target is to hit a minimum profit target per year:ok Ambition would be to win enough to pay off the mortgage. Don't do Scoop 6 and the like, so no desires on the front.:ok

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Happy just to stay in profit ;) Would love to go through the card at a meeting has always been an ambition but i rarely go these days so the chances have receded but i live in hope :ok Wish i could suss the jumps out as the difference i find between the 2 codes is frustrating to say the least . I suppose i should leave them alone or follow someone who's better than me at it :lol

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? ATM, my big betting ambition is to actually find the time so I can study the form to HAVE A BET. Long term, I hope to have banked enough profit to set aside educational funds for all my kids when they are grown up.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? JUst to add, would i ever be able to turn pro gambler would think maybe in the future once the mortgage is paid off, would love to have a year off with no worries & go for it

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Ambition: To make a living through betting on horses alone. Not to make my fortune, just to win enough to live on. It may be soon. Gone very part time in work to try betting like a pro. Though do not bet in the amounts needed yet. Given myself a few years to proove to myself I can do it. Have some doubts whether I ever will have the bottle though. A pro who has written books on the subject once told me, there are thousands of punters able to make a profit in a small way. However, once wagering professionally they start to bet differently. The sums or pressure get to them and effect their selection making. May be I am one. Don't do multiples so the big Scoop 6 etc will never happen. I do a bit better (with late and on-coarse bets included) than my threads indicate. May have to stop my betting threads as don't have much time to do them. And time spent writing them could be spent studying and betting. Will have to cut down the losing runs and cut out a few bets I should not be making. Still do that. Never had a mortgage on my house because always knew what I wanted to do from the age of 16. Got my outgoings to a bare minimum. When I do pluck up the courage to really go for it, hope a losing run does not happen straight away. Otherwise will have to go back to carpet fitting! Ginge

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? I think others have covered most of my ambitions. In all honesty, going totally pro doesnt really appeal to me as such. Far too much pressure etc and it takes the fun out of betting. If I was pro, I have a feeling I would get up some mornings with no excitement about the racing - thats just not for me. However, saying that, it is my dream to get a big bank behind me and bet like some pro's are able to. When I say this I mean be willing to layout £500 on Scoop 6 perms or Pick 6 perms (US) and not really worry about the amount lost. My second dream with regard to punting is to own a few horses - not syndicate. I think the novelty of being able to phone up the trainer, go every time your horse runs etc would never wear off and it is something I would love to do.

A pro who has written books on the subject once told me, there are thousands of punters able to make a profit in a small way. However, once wagering professionally they start to bet differently. The sums or pressure get to them and effect their selection making. May be I am one. Don't do multiples so the big Scoop 6 etc will never happen.
This is a good point and something that is rarely mentioned. Many people's judgement is clouded when under pressure. When I played poker regularly I noticed it quite a bit. The venue I frequented had two games, a small one and a large one. There were some really good players on the smaller game and they made a living on that table, yet when many of them moved up they went to pieces. They just weren't the same player when moving more money about. With regards to the Scoop I don't really see it as a multiple, like yourself I do not entertain multiple bets, I suppose I see the Scoop as a challenge. Only attempt it a few times a year but may have a proper go when it rollsover this season. Shame we couldn't get the syndicate going on here.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Love to turn pro and make living out of somthing I enjoy doing watching the racing, but as i'm a long way from that at the mo just happy to pick a few winners at small stakes as theres nowt better than cheering home your selection. Love to own some horses aswell.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? For me it's all about profit. No matter how I achieve it be it backing horses to win or laying them. Turning pro would obviously be very nice aswell but making £400 - £500 per week would really suit me at the moment. Unfortunately though it is easier said than done. :(

For me it's all about profit. No matter how I achieve it be it backing horses to win or laying them. Turning pro would obviously be very nice aswell but making £400 - £500 per week would really suit me at the moment. Unfortunately though it is easier said than done. :(
Making £500 pw would be enough to turn pro for me! A quick question (BTP prob the man to ask), if you make a living through Betfair, do you have to declare any of it to the tax man? Could you even claim benefits as well if you were really cheeky?!!

Making £500 pw would be enough to turn pro for me! A quick question (BTP prob the man to ask), if you make a living through Betfair, do you have to declare any of it to the tax man? Could you even claim benefits as well if you were really cheeky?!!
Winnings aren't taxable. I'm not an expert but I don't think you'd be able to claim benefits. Two reasons, firstly you aren't seeking employment if your a pro punter, the "dole" as we know it is "Job Seekers Allowance" after all. Secondly if you have a certain amount of money (which you would need if pro punting) you cannot claim dole money. Don't know what the figure is. So even if you claim to be looking for work you still can't claim as you have £x around you. Not sure about other kinds of benefits though - sick etc.

Re: What's your ambition (from a betting perspective)? Yeah I suppose £500 per week is plenty to turn pro. It must take a serious amount of discipline though, and that is what would probably catch me out. Out of interest what sort of bank do you think would be needed before you could aim for £400 - £500 per week?

Yeah I suppose £500 per week is plenty to turn pro. It must take a serious amount of discipline though, and that is what would probably catch me out. Out of interest what sort of bank do you think would be needed before you could aim for £400 - £500 per week?
10K maybe to allow for any loss and then aim for 1 winner a week at 5/1 or higher, sounds alot easier than it probably is though.