French Open 2024

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 2:26 PM, Torque said:

Although even then you can't be sure - he looked in all sorts of trouble against Cerundolo.

It's amazing with Djoko.

He was out on his feet against Musetti. Has a tablet from his bag and a sip from that little white plastic cylinder and he's as good (actually better) as new.

Against Cerundolo he was done and dusted in the 4th set. At 4-3 2 sets up Cerundolo comes to the net and makes a simple volley into the open court  to be 30:15 up. Djoko is motionless on the other side of the court. Yet an hour and and 15 minutes later Djoko looks as fresh as a daisy (again see him sip from that little white cylinder).

At age 37 his 'recovery' is off the charts, a complete outlier...

Could Djoko possibly be the Lance Armstrong of tennis?

What was the quote from Eddy Merx on the tour de France? Was something like ...

"Nobody goes up Alpe d'Huez  on a cup of tea and a biscuit"

Edited by neilovan

32 minutes ago, Fader said:

out-there bets I suppose but I'm going with the following today :

2pts Paolini to win & Swiatek to win 2-0 and each set 6-0/6-1/6-2 or 6-3 double 7/2 Paddypower
2.5pts Swiatek to win set 1 6-0 or 6-1 23/10 Paddypower

I wouldn't say that. Paolini is no mug having won a 1000 earlier in the year and I'm not sure I'd have Andreeva as the favourite so I can see the appeal. Swiatek should be winning without too much fuss because the only style that can trouble her is power - like Osaka showed or Sabalenka - and Guaff is not a big hitter. The bakery set score is the riskiest for me, despite the price, because as much as Gauff is at a disadvantage in these conditions I'm not sure I see a blowout. The sets were reasonably close the last time they played.

37 minutes ago, Fader said:

Match point to win 6-2/6-3 but you somehow knew it would end 6-4

Frustrating to be so close. On the plus side, if Paolini doesn't win then it's irrelevant. But then like you just said, you know she'll win now.

Complete implosion from Andreeva.. 

I wonder has the big occasion gotten to her? She's playing even worse than Rybakina did yesterday. Paolini playing solid but nothing remarkable but Andreeva just hasn't showed up at all, particularly in this second set, could be a breadstick at this rate. 😕

7 minutes ago, amity said:

I wonder has the big occasion gotten to her? She's playing even worse than Rybakina did yesterday. Paolini playing solid but nothing remarkable but Andreeva just hasn't showed up at all, particularly in this second set, could be a breadstick at this rate. 😕

17yr old after such a big win. 

Posted (edited)

She is 17 so inconsistency isn't a surprise - although so many of the players are inconsistent regardless of age - and as you say it's a huge match with a place in the final on the line so there's nerves to deal with as well. Paolini as the older player and with so many years on tour and all the experiences she's had is possibly better equipped to deal with the occasion.

It's interesting to see that both Swiatek and Paolini won and kept unforced errors to a minimum. It's such an important part of the game and gives such an edge when it comes to getting wins. It's like a high first serve percentage - it increases your chances of winning a point and in the longer run a match so much.

Edited by Torque

9 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

The women's final is bound to be a letdown though, I can't see Paolini doing much.

Agree. Bagels and breadsticks most likely. Might get a decent price for that though so there might be something worth taking.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, amity said:

Tennis is such a strange game. Rybakina you can kind of understand. She is not a clay court player. Great serve and forehand, but her movement (on clay) is below average. She does not get the 1st ball setup that she does on grass or hard court. When she runs for a wide ball, she can't slide, so there is little chance she gets positioned for the next ball that comes back.

But some players are just great athletes and really poor in the mental/strategy parts of the game. Hurkacz, Auger-Aliasimme, Zverev, Rublev, Paul, Taifoe, Sakkari, Garcia  ...  and Andreeva. She is only 17 and will learn, but a 17 year old with skills and mental fortitude ... like Monica Seles is a generational talent..

Edited by neilovan

I think in the 2 semi finals today the bookmakers have the wrong favorite both times.

For me, very little between Sinner and Alcaraz. But I do think SInner has more maturity.  Maybe Alcaraz has more talent but he is a rougher diamond (that still needs work). If Sinner is injury free, I think he wins here. Physically, neither has had a tough road to the semi-final. Alcaraz had 3 easy matches and Sinner probably 4.

I think Ruud is a terrible matchup for Zverev. They actually play a similar baseline game, but last year Ruud beat him 6-3  6-4  6-0, and demolished him in the 3rd set. Zverev simply had no idea what to do. He just stuck to a losing strategy even though it was obvious it was flawed. It tells you that he has no ability to solve the 'in game' problem ... there is no plan 'B'.

Has Zverev added much to his game? I don't think so. He still struggles when forced off the baseline, and his decision making in those touch/cat and mouse situations is not great. His transition game is poor and that is the area that Ruud should/will take advantage of. Today the analytics of each opponent are substaintial.  The tactics for Ruud will be clear and obvious here (get him off the baseline) and I'll be very surprised if Ruud does not come with a super solid tactical plan.

Then add to this that Ruud has had a few days rest (which is gold), having got the walkover v Djokovic. To get the opportunity to reset and recharge, and possibly take care of a minor niggle, in the middle of a 2 week tournament is huge. 

Posted (edited)

Granollers / Zeballos - 1.5 sets  @1.99 Marathonbet 👎
Errani/Paolini @1.51 Pinnacle 👍
Gauff/Siniakova - 1.5 sets @1.71 Marathonbet 👎
Alcaraz - 1.5 sets @2.30 Pinnacle 👎
Ruud @2.10 Pinnacle 👎

GL you all. 

Edited by timovk
RG over all 19-15.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, amity said:

Ah shame, one breakpoint so far for Paolini and she took it alas, at 6/1 though it was worth a go. 

Was a lot closer to coming in than that price suggested.

Edited by Torque